Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

A wine at 8-9 euro was often reduced in an offer by supermarkets, for a few days, to maybe 5 or 6.

That can't happen anymore.

Can we have less of this talk: "it doesn't affect middle class people, it only affects cheap muck drink"

The response of the Garda / organs of the State to that shop in Cork will be interesting.

"Sam" is either taking a complete chance, or else has carefully read all the legislation, and designed an offer that is watertight.

I haven't read the legislation, so I can't comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Government won't be having it you can be sure

The way this nanny state is going the goalposts can be moved to suit anything these days

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dub.

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

No, some decent beers in the German supermarkets have nearly doubled in price, while cheap cooking wine is now five times the price you can buy it in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

That could be what Sam is trying to get them to do. If MUP is illegal and they start changing other laws to prevent him from doing what he's doing, then it could have a domino or knock on effect of other things.

I guess we will find out soon enough.

• Advertisement

I'm still not quite clear what's going on there

Is he giving 17euro extra beer for the 30 outlay or how is he even doing it without losing, thought this was like a minimum price that had to be charged

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It's only costing him if it cost more than 30 euro (plus the plastic glasses cost) to start with

If a can cost 50c to buy but must be sold for 1.75 - minus vat thats a hefty markup

He's not paying anything extra for alcohol since mup was introduced. So he is still buying it at the same price it always was when they were able to sell it for €20 a case and make a profit.

Only now, he has to legally sell it for €44 a case or something according to mup guidelines, but it's not a tax, it's his profit. He is selling it for the mup price, but he is also accepting store credit, which you can get €17.43 free when you buy €30 worth of promotional glasses.

I see so the mup is actually profit for the retailer

I assumed it was a tax so he's not losing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It would be €473 that should be in the till. I would expect he would have to pay the vat and excise for the price he sold the cans for, which is €473. Maybe he has factored that into his €30 promotion and can absorb that vat hit at that price.

• Advertisement

Exactly! Tho obviously there is the tax on the new price to pay

Not how excise works

If excise had increased the bars would be bitching

At €47.34 per case, vat would be €10.89 per case.

But. I presume at €47.34 the Vat is already included.

The minimum a case of budweiser or heineken can be sold for is €40.80 I think (including vat)

7,000 posts, and some people still think MUP is a tax.

There is still a serious amount of ignorance out there.

MUP is not a tax.

I must have typed this a hundred times on this thread.

The higher price goes to the supply chain: either to the manufacturer / wholesaler / retailer.

Note that they mostly don't want this situation.

(yes, there is a bit more VAT on the higher price, yes.

This is false.

You made the typical mistake of doing this: VAT = (0.23)(selling price)

That is wrong. It's Junior Cert maths.

If the selling price is 47.34, then the ex-VAT cost is: 47.34/1.23 = 38.49.

So the VAT is 47.34 - 38.49 = 8.85.

VAT is added to the cost. A product at 10 ex-VAT is 12.30 after VAT, so the VAT is 2.30 on the 10 euro cost.

Using your wrong maths, the 23% VAT is (0.23)(12.30) = 2.83.

I haven't read the thread only jumped in with a few posts

Assumed it was a tax like everything else hereso if its not a tax the govt will have a problem with these type loopholes

Theyll prob bring in a blanket law to ban it completely

No I was saying that if the vat would have to be added to €47.34 and the next line I said that was likely already added.

Vat is 23% so not hard to work out. It is €2.30 per €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I'm fairly pissed on non MUP beers just wanted to say hic

Also buy btc and eth, see what happens after the kike rate sorry I mean rate hike

Cheers

There’s also vat to pay on the 30 plastic glass sale. So the vat on the total sale through the till is 14.46. So they’re selling the beer and plastic glasses for 15.54 excluding VAT.

I know they have T&Cs attached to the deal but I don’t know what they are. Are they selling the beer at cost as a marketing strategy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

In the Conspiracy Theory World MUP is illegal. In the Real World it is legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland.

Spare a thought for us poor cider drinkers, planning a busy autumn of raiding orchards before we even get started.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland.

I'd guess most people have easier access to a wholesaler card than to Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭dasdog

Using pressed/not from concentrate LIDL/ALDI apple juice is a way to make cheap cider (aka turbo cider) but it needs months to condition properly and even with that I've had mixed results compared to the beers, ales and stouts I've made in the past. Making cider is actually mush easier than doing partial or full extract ales/beers which requires boiling 26L of liquid (wort) and then rapidly cooling and can be a bit daunting for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I was talking to a guy in dunnes who's over the alcohol section, he said it's more or less increased the price off all beers and spirits, the wine hasn't been effected, when I said yellow tail wine was €7.60ish he said that was a Christmas special and the real price is €10. He said dunnes will never sell slabs of beer again, not even at Christmas time. Guinness, Heineken and the likes are changing pack sizes in a move to see what sells as they are worried about sales and what might look like good value, example he said was a six pack of Heineken cans for €10 Vs 8 for €14, 4×440ml Dutch gold €5.60 rather than 4×500ml for €8.

I asked what about the really cheap stuff €0.70 cans, you sold before, he said they won't be restocking them as they won't sell with the new prices. I asked have you noticed a drop in trade, he said it's just like a normal January..quite, and said it would take six months before he'd notice anything. He thinks it might have an impact in the first 12 months but will do nothing after that, and said the people who bought the cheapest drink before will just buy the next cheapest drink.

But he stated all beers and most spirits increased in price even those 500/660ml single bottle European beers that were €2.80/€3.20 are now 50 and 60 cent more expensive, and that MUP was advertised as a way removing only the cheapest and strongest drinks which was a total lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The only ignorance is from AAI and the pro MUP crowd who are trying to tell us that

1. We have a drink problem.
    2. This will help solve it.

Any efforts to work around it are welcomed.

I'm beginning to think 'Conspiracy Theory' or 'Theorists' refers to people who read.

In particular, the last paragraph in that bottom article

As background, CEEV believes MUP would be illegal under EU law because it would be a barrier to trade between member states, and cannot be justified on public health grounds. It would also be contrary to the Common Market Organisation for wine under the Common Agricultural Policy – any fixing of the price of wine is illegal. The CJEU has ruled minimum pricing as an illegal restraint on trade in every case since the first one was heard in 1978.

You can read the Opinion of the Court here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Indeed it is illegal but we need an affected group to take a case on it for it to be shut down and I don't see any representative body standing up to do so like the Scottish whiskey distillers did.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What was the outcome of the Scottish Whiskey Distillers case? Isn't MUP still in operation in Scotland? Is that because of Brexit and they no longer follow the rule?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

All that legal stuff was cleared up later on, and the Scottish government went ahead. Ireland would want to be particularly stupid if it had been ruled illegal in Scotland. Of course this does not stop the stream of misinformation.

3.4. The CJEU’s Advocate General provided his Opinion in September 2015 [42] , which was followed by the Preliminary Ruling of the Court in December 2015 [43] . The Preliminary Ruling provided guidance to the domestic court in respect of the six points of EU law on which it sought clarity. The ruling indicated that it was for the domestic courts to take a final decision on minimum pricing, but noted that minimum pricing could be legal but would be contrary to EU law if less restrictive tax measures could be used to achieve the aim of the legislation.

3.5. The case returned to the Court of Session Inner House, and a hearing was held over four days in June and July 2016. In October 2016, the Opinion of the Inner House upheld the decision of the Outer House [44] . The SWA then sought permission from the Inner House to appeal to the UK Supreme Court and, in December 2016, the Inner House granted SWA permission to appeal to the UK Supreme Court. The UK Supreme Court hearing was held over two days in July 2017, and the judgment was delivered on 15 November 2017 [45] . All seven judges upheld the findings of the lower courts: that the legislation is proportionate to the public health aim which it pursues, and that fiscal measures would not be as effective in achieving the targeted aims achievable by minimum pricing.

Advertisement