Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying tech online, where now?

Options
  • 17-02-2021 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

So obviously we, or at least I, fell into the trap of using amazon, especially with consumer tech but now what?
    I was using a UK website called scan.co.uk and it was actually quite good and still try yo use MemoryC.ie where the price is reasonable but outside of MemoryC.ie, where do you go shopping for consumer tech and PC parts?

I discovered a Spanish website called techinn.com and its all in English and a pretty decent site but only bought a couple of things just testing it out.

Any other places?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Personally, I wouldn't buy a large item from overseas.
    The largest I ever got was a 27in monitor, and I worried that it might get damaged in transit. It turned out to be OK, but I still worried.

Last year I bought an amazing 55in Samsung TV from Harvey Norman, was delivered quickly and painlessly, and has been working great for us.
    Is there any particular reason you don't like them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I would say it's not a case of them not liking them but a matter of choice and cost as Harvey Norman or PC World don't stock high end gaming stuff such as GPU's or CPU's or have a wide variety of monitors that people have been buying from Amazon, Scan and Overclockers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Skerries wrote: »
    I would say it's not a case of them not liking them but a matter of choice and cost as Harvey Norman or PC World don't stock high end gaming stuff such as GPU's or CPU's or have a wide variety of monitors that people have been buying from Amazon, Scan and Overclockers

Nailed it there for the most part. I do also have a particular issue with Harvey Norman, putting aside the fact that they are not an Irish (or even European company), they are a dishonest company. One example right off the top of my head, a few years ago on black Friday they were found to have increased the price of their "sale items" put had neglected to remove the old prices so they were just under. They have done similar things, their sales staff are under a huge amount of pressure...

I was hoping there an Irish company had attempted to fill the void (I am a fan of MemoryC.ie but their stock levels and variety is not great and neither are their prices, although I can't blame them for Ireland being so small in fairness) or if not that at least people knew of another European website that I could use that was proven to be reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Richer Sounds - bought a TV from them last month, it arrived in 3 days and has a 6 year guarantee.

For smaller tech bits, still Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭leinad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

loyatemu wrote: »
    Richer Sounds - bought a TV from them last month, it arrived in 3 days and has a 6 year guarantee.

For smaller tech bits, still Amazon.
    +1 richersounds, great to deal with 6 year warranty is great and they are on boards too.

The TV thing was really a secondary thing (plus I just bought one in powercity). Mainly I'm talking PC parts, server bits, networking equipment, HDD's, cases, monitors, cables and other such things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

leinad wrote: »

they are expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Amazon.de

computeruniverse.net

Loads of excellent German online sellers. I have used the two above many times!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Bought a mechanical keyboard on Amazon.de Friday, spent an extra euro for 'premium' delivery - arrived here in Cork at 7am this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The TV thing was really a secondary thing (plus I just bought one in powercity). Mainly I'm talking PC parts, server bits, networking equipment, HDD's, cases, monitors, cables and other such things

Amazon UK will do like the American site does and just charge you the taxes due at checkout, so you will know how much it will cost before you click to buy. If you want EU protection you can buy from their other EU sites or with a fulfilment centre being built in Dublin we may get an Irish site.

Not to resurrect a really old thread or anything but I've actually been using Techinn.com to most of my tech related shopping. I've been using it now for close to a year, bought all kinds of stuff from cat5&6 cables, memory cards (although worth shopping around there, memoryc.com was cheaper for most, just not the one I needed that home, and the are Irish) to a robot vacuum. No issues at all so far.

It's a Spanish website with a huge range of stock, good customer service, fast enough delivery for anything that is not absolutely urgent and they have competitive prices. Also because its within the EU no duty

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The reviews say otherwise about techinn - even Boards is marking it unsafe

Advertisement