Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,294 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah hard luck to them

How was the 2020 final only played now ?

Ballygunner going well but need to keep focus

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

A good weekend for Kerry hurling, they bet Tipp yesterday in Tralee for the first time ever in senior hurling and now Kilmoyley (who beat Dunhill in semi) are the first Kerry hurling team to win the intermediate Munster club final today after extra time.

Kerry hurling rising it seems!

What a win for Ballygunner, great performance

The AI semi final will be tricky and Slaughtneil won't fear Ballygunner, game been in Parnell Park will be a challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Congratulations to the gunners on a superb performance today - class throughout the park - not a gunners club man but a very proud Waterford man in the way they represented us today. Best of luck in the semi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Waterford v Clare is on Saturday,not Fri night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

With all due respect Ballygunner should be able to take care of Slaughtniel who I accept are no pushovers either. But given the profile of this Ballygunner team and their dominance in county and province, the All Ireland really needs to be the goal now

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Well done to ballygunner was delighted they got over the line after a lot of heartbreaking losses in Munster finals down through the years (They should probably have at least another three on top of the three that they have won) yesterday was the perfect performance from them and hopefully now they can go on and get that elusive all Ireland although I would not be taking anything for granted against slaughtneil ulster club hurling teams have in the main been very competitive against their southern counterparts and there is usually very little in the games. Also the fact that it is to be played in the tight confines of Parnell park will surely also suit the Derry men. One disappointment I have is that it’s a pity that Patrick Fitzgerald is not eligible for senior yet because he would be some addition to them

Mullane reckons Liam Cahill should pick up the phone and ask Soky to come out of intercounty retirement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Well done to Ballygunner the weekend, great win for them and richly deserved. Think it's fair to say they are the best club team in Munster and not that many teams that could give them a proper game. That brings me to an interesting topic - is club hurling in Waterford at a stronger level than we would have thought? BG dispatched Clare champions Ballyea in the Munster quarter final by 17pts, Loughmore-Castleiney by 5pts and Kilmallock by 14pts. Realistically, the Loughmore game was the only test they got.

Compare that to the Waterford senior championship where Mount Sion really should have beaten them in the county semi final only going down by 2pts, Abbeyside only went down by 6pts to them in a group game where they pushed BG all the way (it's a pity Abbeyside went out against Dungarvan in the quarter finals as I'm sure they would have loved another crack at BG). Fourmile only went down by 8pts themselves in a game they didn't look like winning but at least put up more resistance and made BG work for the win. I recall watching that game and remember a poor mistake from the FMW keeper batting out the sliotar from a long ball in which was pounced on by one of the Mahony's I believe to goal early. That dented FMW's confidence but to be fair they stuck with it and were never more than a few scores down.

Hard to know I suppose, could maybe also make the argument that BG were coasting through the county championship in 3rd or 4th gear with an eye on bigger prizes and not much could be read into performances from other teams in the county.

• Advertisement

its a fair point. It’s seems a waste when We don’t have a keeper of that quality as back up, as good as Billy Nolan and Seanie O’Brien are.

Cant see him coming back, Cahill dosent pander to anyone that it’s not too bothered about being there, and I beleive there’s still a bit of tension around the way Noel Connors ousted amongst some of the older players he would have been close to

there’s a group of 6/7 teams underneath Ballygunner, all of a similar level that are as strong as any club teams anywhere else. I’d mention dungarvan Abbeyside passage Lismore DLS roan more and possibly FMW, that would all fancy their chances of winning a county if Ballygunner weren’t there. This years championship served up some cracking encounters of a very high standard remember the dungarvan Abbeyside game for example.

i do think there’s a case for tiering the senior into 2 groups, similar to what they have done in Limerick. Ballygunner are so far advanced of lower ranked senior clubs like ballyduff, Ballysaggart, tallow that you end up with mismatches that Dosent serve anyone any good

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Ballyduff and ballysaggart are not senior

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

something tells me he asked and was told. funnt thing is ,he was workign in dublin for a good bit and played away and retired shortly after getting a job in south tipp ,dstrange one but there you go

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

An excellent performance by Ballygunner, but you would have to wonder about the quality of the opposition on the day. Kilmallock showed great spirit in outfighting favourites Patrickswell in the Limerick final and then had an easy Munster semi-final win over a Midleton side which didn’t lay a hand on them. 

Kilmallock actually dominated the early stages of last Sunday’s game, but once Ballygunner got in the groove, there was only one team in it. While the Gunners were sharp, Kilmallock’s play was littered with errors, with Ballygunner’s first two goals coming by poor defending which was punished ruthlessly.

On TG4, Donal O’Grady repeatedly identified Ballygunner’s pace as a key factor in their dominant performance, but there was a lot more to it than this. For a start, they have a strong core of eight players with lots of intercounty experience, either currently or in the recent past. Secondly, they combine high skill levels with a ferocious work rate, hunting in packs around the field. Being short on good ball winners, they concentrate on knocking high balls to the ground and then getting two or three players into the ensuing ruck. They are the best Waterford team I have ever seen for getting the ball in hand in these situations.

But above all, Ballygunner have developed a game plan suited to their skillset and physical characteristics. This is very similar to the Limerick game plan in the way they use flurries of short hand passes in tight situations to get players into space where they can look up and give good low ball into space for their small but pacy forwards to run on to. Otherwise, they try to avoid getting into a dogfight with physically stronger opponents, moving the ball around to keep possession until the killer ball can be delivered. Like Limerick, they have really worked hard to perfect this system, and great credit must go to their coach David Franks, who must surely be in the equation when a successor to Liam Cahill will have to be found.

On top of all this, up front Ballygunner have possibly the deadliest forward in the game in Dessie Hutchinson, while Pauric Mahony is showing signs of getting back to his best, and whose free-taking was flawless with it was most needed. Hats off also to Billy O’Keeffe. I recently expressed surprise that he had been shifted into the forward line to make way for Ronan Power, although you could see last Sunday glimpses of why Power is favoured for the left half back position by the selectors. That said, if Ballygunner do end up playing Ballyhale, expect the latter to target the inexperienced left side of the Gunners’ defence with the likes of Eoin Cody, Adrian Mullen and TJ Reid.

In any case, apart from O’Keeffe’s 1-3 from play, it was his flicks which set up Ballygunner’s other two goals. Ballygunner also got a huge shift in midfield from, Paddy Leavey and Conor Sheahan – Leavey with his distribution and Sheahan with his excellent ball control and pace which allow him to get out of the stickiest situations. And behind them there was an excellent defensive display, marshalled superbly, as ever, by the peerless Philip Mahony. Graeme Mulcahy, who scored seven points from play in a man-of-the-match performance in the Limerick final, was rendered invisible here. And when Kilmallock did manage to get a sight on goal, they had Stephen O’Keeffe – one of the great shot-stoppers – blocking the way.

All of this said, there should be no taking Slaughtneil for granted in the All-Ireland semi-final. Almost exactly two years ago, they came very close to putting one over on eventual champions Ballyhale in the corresponding fixture. There was just a single point between the teams going into added time, and it was only a last-minute goal by Colin Fennelly that finally put daylight between the sides. Final score: Ballyhale 2-24 Slaughtneil 2-19.

I have a question for Waterford posters. I personally believe that the Ballygunner management team of Darragh O'Sullivan and David Franks would be the ideal management team to replace Liam Cahill and Mikey Bevans with the Waterford senior hurlers. Do you agree with this? I have been extremely impressed by their workrate and their attacking style of hurling similar to the Deise men at inter-county level.

I felt that the conditions last Sunday would have be more suited to the bulky and physically imposing Kilmallock team, but the Limerick champions were more interested in making it a war of attrition and trying to wear down the opposition type of game.

Thankfully the only team trying to play hurling on a rotten day in Cork were victorious. I just loved the way that Ballygunner made space for Dessie Hutchinson inside and the delivery and supply of the ball going towards the Ballygunner number 10 was a joy to behold.

Looking forward to this Saturday, although I havent made up my mind fully on attending the Clare v Waterford Munster League Cup semi-final in Ennis. This should be a very good game and a close contest I feel. The performance of both teams this weekend is the most important part IMO for both managements as we are 3 and a half weeks away from the eagerly awaited return of the league.

I would also like to know about how you rate the chances of De La Salle college v Nenagh CBS tomorrow in the Harty Cup quarter-final? The winners will play St Josephs Tulla from East Clare about 12 to 15 km away from my home. DLS played Tulla in the first round of the Harty Cup earlier in the competition and Tulla hit as many wides as their 18 points that they scored that day.

yet another o'sullivan to look forward to a bright future, was named on the minor team of the year, really big physical presence and tidy enough hurler

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I think you might be confusing him with his cousin Mark. Patrick is an excellent prospect but I wouldn't say he has a big physical presence yet anyway.

i only saw him at minor level,so can't comment versus seniors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Alf Tupper

What was the issue with the way Connors was "ousted"? He was just dropped like any other player because he had been out of his depth for the previous two years.

how many heroes with 5 or 6 all irelands did cody oust in his pomp when he wanted to ? there's no room for sentiment in hurling, if you want to win you have to be more ruthless than the next man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

This lads dad was also an exceptionally talented player in both codes…..so it’s not all coming from the ‘O’Sullivan’ jeans…🤪🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

you mention that tulla hit 18 wides v de la salle but don’t say who won the game. I take it de la Salle did…?

haha sorry, don't know his father , sat down at the minor munster final with myfather, randomly chatting to a girl with her kids she says to us " are ye o'sullivans" turns out she was a second cousin of mine,wouldn't know the connection otherwise inherited the look of the family but not the hurling skill

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hatch1989

What kind of team will be out against Clare in Ennis on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I think it would be extremely foolish to dismiss Slaughtneil, they gave Ballyhale a big fright 2 years ago and have been focusing solely on hurling from a long way out after not winning the Derry football championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

Slaughtneil are no joke. I saw them play Na Piarsaigh from Limerick in All Ireland semi 3 years ago and Slaughtneil were winning at half time but few silly hurling mistakes cost them due to their football commitments doubling up that year.

I think Ballygunnar will win, but Slaughtneil gave a Ballyhale team full of Kilkenny stars plenty of it down in Newry 2 years ago.

No but they were in the recent past were they not. I would put Clonea and Dunhill in the same vein if you want to be pedantic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Does anybody have a link to the dls harty cup game today please?

Advertisement