Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm happy to leave people be.

Just wish they would do the same in return. You say masks are probably not going to stop too much but yet they are mandatory in various settings. Make such a thing mandatory and the justification needs to be a lot more than making a minority feel a little better.

Personal responsibility is a wonderful thing, I think this country should consider it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

To be honest, anyone who arrived at my door (family or not) wearing a mask or lecturing me like that wouldn't be invited in in the first place!

Likewise if someone told me I needed to wear a mask in the house, I just wouldn't go!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

while not applicable to Ireland, There was a funny comment that mask wearing in the US was the Democrat's MAGA hat

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

None of this contradicts what I said in my post (and it was a campaign supported by a broad cross-section of society, not just the "left"), but in fairness it's not the thread for it.

To bring it back on topic, anyone I've talked to lately (again a broad cross section of people) is as fed up with the ongoing restrictions as I am, particularly in light of Omicron being little more to the sniffles to most who get it and the majority on their third jab now.

They may not take to the streets, but they absolutely are ignoring the restrictions otherwise (with the exception of mask wearing where mandated because of the penalties)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Again, I was picking up on your thinly veiled nonsense about vaccines again, you then started about mate stories to try and prove a nonsense point, it's kind of hilarious at this stage that your understanding of vaccines is so limited and so influenced by mad stuff you read on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The best is having to wear the mask going into the gym but when you are actually in the gym working out and breathing heavy, sweat particles flying everywhere, no need for a mask, then when you finish your workout and are leaving mask back on again. 🤣 And on top of that they have introduced that pox of a covid cert for gym entry. Ridiculous decisions which on make a joke of the restrictions.

The science is pretty clear on masks, they work. Now, how well they work will be down to how they are worn and the quality of the mask, but they do have the intended effect of reducing transmission rates for people who wear them. They're also the least impactful measure and likely be the last of the restrictions to go. And you have to laugh at idiots mixing up olfactory senses with viral transmission.

Completely pointless to wear outside if you're a few metres from people but it seems they've started replacing snoods and scarfs in the face warming department during winter months (much to the chagrin of the perpetually outraged that a pandemic is a thing).

It's never made sense. Go into a pub or a restaurant masked up and behaving as though you have the plague, but sit there eating and drinking among the same people as long as you like, only to have to mask up again to go to the toilet or exit.

Nonsense, but not as bad as people driving around in cars on their own with masks on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭growleaves

They should take to the streets because many restrictions can't be ignored due to the closing time of 8pm.

It's a quasi-lockdown since anything that happens in the evening can't even get started (theatre, live music, nightclubs).

It looks like they will re-open in summer and who knows after that, possibly wind down things again in Autumn/Winter.

Basically the situation is that we're onto 2 years of eradicating large aspects of life, it hasn't ended and won't necessarily end at all.

Yes, if you ignore all the reasons why mask wearing is ineffectual, they do indeed work.

They remind me of Bitcoin actually. It does actually work, if conditions A, B and C are in place. Not so good in the real world when people try to use it for currency however.

I absolutely agree that "masks" stop transmission. Of course they do.

But by masks you have to be talking about actual proper masks, not the pieces of cloth that are being used by 99% of the population. And the fact that proper masks aren't being used renders the whole exercise to be nothing but theatre.

Ditch the mask mandate today and I believe we would see a negligible effect on cases or transmission rates. If we actually want masks to prevent spread then mandate that they have to be proper high quality masks that actually do the job people think they do.

• Advertisement

I agree with you, but we both know that while the Irish like to grumble and complain, few will actually stand up and be counted as no-one wants to stand out from the herd and wants "someone else" to do it first - the Government know this and have turned it into an art form as they play one section of society off against the other to distract from the real issues and maintain the general apathy and status quo that's ultimately given rise to where we are now with Covid.

Unfortunately most Irish don't have any real sense or perspective of the bigger picture. Most issues don't extend beyond how it affects them directly or their immediate family - which is again why we have a Dail stuffed with parochial seat fillers, medical card and planning/council housing fixers, and pothole fillers.

Not until it directly affects them - through loss of income or a direct curtailment on their social lives (cinemas have been declining in favour of streaming anyway, pubs likewise dying off in favour of the off license and house parties) will they even think about protesting.

You only need to see the results of the general elections to see that - or more accurately how few bother even turning up to vote in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

My point is purely in relation to how successful the powers of protest were at the time, regardless of whether you agree with the dropping/non-introduction of water charges or not surely you agree that protests are why the govt backed down

Speaking of, there's a "March and Rally for truth and civil rights" happening in cork on Saturday at 2pm - looks like it could defacto become an anti-restrictions march

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Saw a notoriously hysterical individual on twitter calling them a personal hepa filter for your face😏

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭foxsake

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Nothing is going to move until the start of Feb at least

Seeing young kids masked up in shops is actually depressing I think. The group least at risk but who have parents either fearful or virtue-signalling through them.

If the average person is passive enough that streaming and home drinking can replace living life then they are sunk in demoralisation. They aren't just apathetic, they are broken.

Because a socially atomised sub-life would not be accepted by a whole person. (I'm not talking about new parents and older people wanting to stay in which is understandable but that doesn't cover everyone)

Seeing the bigger picture means also seeing that the people who are obedient and engaged in spiteful scapegoating are also apathetic and weak-willed.

Why Irish people are drained of all motivation is a metaphysical question beyond this thread. I think it ultimately has to do with nihilistic beliefs such as the conviction that that the universe has no purpose or meaning, everything is random or determined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Decent article. I've always hated the fighting Irish stuff personally, as the fighting Irish were never more than a tiny minority of the Irish for the most part.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

When somebody uses the term fighting Irish I imagine 2 drunk lads slugging away at each other outside a bar in Yonkers, Bondi junction or some other hot bed of Irish emigration.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

No surprise whatsoever. And of course this doesn't mean action taken in February, it means they are going to discuss it in February and drag the arse out of it over the following months.

We know this, we have been here before. Just like last July when they said reopening would be 3 full months away and instead of calling bullshit, people just accepted it and convinced themselves it had to be this way.

• Advertisement

Well the way I see it is that our ancestors had strong (religious) motivation whereas we are the ultimate hollowed-out modern people.

The self-image of a lot of countries, e.g. Australia, has taken a knock because a lot of contemporary people didn't even realise how feeble and unprincipled they are until recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Care to hazard a guess as to the difference in size between molecules of Hydrogen Sulphide and Viruses encapsulated in respiratory droplets?

All the "hilarious" t-shirt highlights is the ignorance of the wearer.

I don't think viruses encapsulated in respiratory droplets are the concern so much as viruses encapsulated in aerosols. Watching all the other parents at the school every morning breathing big plumes of steam through their masks is enough to tell anyone with half a brain that they're not doing anything remotely effective.

I don't think the fart analogy is the best, but it's sure closer to reality than this backward shite that was floating around last year:

Wearing a piece of flowery cloth over your piehole is doing nothing.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So-called virtue signalling is predominantly from online echo chambers or an obsession that lives in the minds of millennials. Most normal people have no idea what it is. There may be anxiety levels at work there either in the parents or the child. Recall a hysterical child in a shop back in March or April 2020 who was freaked out by the number of people shopping. That was a parent problem, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

In terms of masks, I think now is the time to experiment if they actually work. The variant is very mild but we are still testing. Remove all mask mandates and see what happens. It will be important down the line to get the data.

Unfortunately, I think actual science is out of the question and they wouldn't try it. Obsessive Maskism is a political statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I think most agree on that. I am looking forward to getting my mild dose of Omicron in the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

And the dreaded "based on modelling".

The modelling has been wildy over estimates.

I love how folks can tell everything about everyone and their motivations from a brief encounter on the street.

I would suggest its say more about the person making the observation

Your reasons for thinking masks, even cloth coverings are ineffectual are not true and not based on the science of how virus spread.

Would transmission be lower if we all wore high grade respirators instead? Yes.

Is that needed or practical when a cloth covering will get about 80% of the same effect if worn correctly? No, it's not.

Is it a problem that some people wear them under their noses or use them wrong? Yes, but probably not enough for the policy needing to be changed.

But it's weird, people act all sorts of reasonable, but when you get down to the real world usage of these things and why they exist, their rationality completely disappears and they get outraged if there isn't a binary answer to the problem. Managing the pandemic has all been about degrees of restrictions and rules to reduce social contacts, would it work better if we wore masks all the time, sure, but then restaurants can't open, does wearing a mask help much if worn when going between tables but not at tables? Probably a little bit but not a lot, it will depend on levels of ventilation, distance to others and time spent around others. As they are a low impact measure, it probably doesn't matter a whole lot, we know they work and reduce transmission.

"I want no restrictions, but if restrictions exist they need to be 100% or nothing" just isn't practical unless you plan on locking people in their homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

Step 1: Make wildly inaccurate, fatalistic modelling.

Step 2: Introduce pointless restrictions.

Step 3: When bad modelling doesn’t come to pass, say stupid restrictions worked.

Step 4: Rinse and repeat.

Advertisement