Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unidentifiable Light Switch

Options
  • 12-01-2022 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

I've a double gang light switch next to the patio door. One of the switches toggles the outdoor light. The other switch, I can't find its use.

If I test it with a single pole tester I notice that the neon gradually fades over a second or so after I operate the switch. So it seems to me there's an appliance with some capacitance on the other end.

I can't seem to find what it operates though. Would anyone have any pearls of wisdom as to what they might expect it to be? Or have tips for tracing the switch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

The outside light might be wired to allow permanently on with one switch, or sensor controlled with the other.

Just a wild guess, I'm not an electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ULMarc

That's a fair guess. There's a security light out the back that, to me, appeared to show no functional change from the switch. But I'll take a closer look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ULMarc

That was it. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

No worries. Its quite handy for when the sensor goes faulty and leaves the light on permanently. Must get my own rewired someday! 🙄😁

Advertisement