Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Djokovic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Cant wait to see him play his first game

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

I can sort of half understand anti-vax people sometimes say they're pregnant and are afraid, or had a bad experience before, or mixed with the wrong crowd or family with lots of misinformation. But I can't understand why he thinks all this is better than just getting the vaccine. Even if you were against it, would you not just get it to avoid all this crap with border police, lawyers, world media, impact on training.

Maybe the sort of mindset that gets you to being the number one tennis player in the world is the same mindset which drags your principles through these kind of experiences. Still though, the energy some people are putting in to going up against this is incredible when you step back and look at it.

A significant proportion of them have mental health issues/personality disorders. Gemma O'Doherty et Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

I dated a Polish girl who was a homeopath. Her preference towards all things natural was so interweaved with spirituality it was equivalent to a strong, principled religious belief.

Very deep belief in something will motivate a person.

In fairness it looked like the exemption would be granted and he was all set, I don't think he expected so much trouble. If it were a clear no in advance maybe he'd have gotten vaccinated. He did say he would 'have to consider it' in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

It'll be interesting to see if he does after this is all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You could argue that a man in his position could have 'got vaccinated' without actually getting vaccinated if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What do Australians really think?

Ha. ha, ha...

Exactly. So no need to pass judgment on him at this stage. Let due process work itself out. Until he if found guilty of something - and the Aussies are desperate to try and find anything they can - then leave the guy alone to do his job and play tennis. It's not like he's going to be boxing with sweat and bodily fluids all over the place. He's going to be standing in the open air with a good 3 metre radius all around him. Everyone needs to calm down about him.

But humans have this need for scapegoats. They project all sorts onto people like him, try to dehumanise him, attack his character. It makes it easier to do the witch hunt once you've made the person into a witch, not a human.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I don’t think he needs any scapegoats tbh. He’s shown his character by not isolating himself when he was positive.

But hold on…..isn’t he able to turn dirty water into clean with the power of his mind? I’m sure he’d be able to use the same power to not pass on the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭jj880

Admitting he didnt isolate after positive test result and the agent gets the blame for the travel declaration "administrative error". Oh dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Oh dear oh dear😂😂😂 there'll be a heap of people defending him still. Waiting on Glasso. It's a pity the Aussies have handled it so badly , they'd be able to deport him no bother for his "adminstrative error" . I really can't see them doing it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Nah. Thats pure scumbag behaviour not isolating when you know you have a positive test. He has now admitted this is true.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

He said he went ahead with the journalist because " he didn't want to let them down". Hahaha what a cnut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

If he gets away with lying on his immigration declaration that's amazing. What a complete tool he is for attending public events while positive. The level of entitlement is jaw dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Dirty bastrd should be fuct on next plane and sent back to his scummy lying family … he’s proven to have no standards, lies through his teeth , couldn’t care about the health of others … and genuinely him and his family do believe he’s Jesus !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think that is more than enough to turf him out, but I doubt they will do it. It shows you money can protect you from pretty much anything.

Seriously damaged and tarnished his reputation.

Still people will defend him, he confirmed he was positive and knew and still went to events.

This isnt about antivaxxers v the rest. The double standards on show here are breathtaking. Djokovic it seems should be allowed to make his event appearances and play his tournaments whenever / wherever he wants and everyone else has to isolate, not see loved ones, lose earnings and make sacrifices. Thats what this is about. Hes a top athlete and deserves respect for that but this looks like a selfish chancer spoofing his way around the globe to keep the cash rolling in.

I like how he addresses it as "misinformation" then he has to go on and admit it all....lol

In that case I agree. Sorry I didn't know he'd done that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

• Advertisement

Ah the old burn baby burn strategy...that would definitely help things...

So basically you are ok with with hospitals collapsing and mass death then 🙄

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ok I dont agree but what timeframe are you putting on this?

To me this thread is about Djokovic flouting the rules as they stand right now.

Should the rules for everyone in Australia change today to allow Djokovic to stay and play the Australian Open?

Should the rules just be ignored for him in this instance?

Or are you saying no-one should have isolated since the start of coronavirus and forever more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

And don’t forget , the rules would also have to change about it being ok for him to make numerous false declarations to Australian authorities too… and then blame someone else for it …

he’s a real role model for our children…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ah watch the narrative change from "he didn't break any restrictions" to "the restrictions he broke are stupid".

Can't wait for Farage to fly back to Serbia and tell the "Eastern Europeans" that breaking a few immigration laws is perfectly fine 🤣

Yes totally - collapse of civilization should we fail to isolate when we have what is now a glorified flu

I'm also OK with being labelled a "granny-killer" should I fail to wear a mask, or or a "child-killer" should I close the windows in the classroom

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

Again you're equating people who choose not to get a vaccine with lunatics who think it witchcraft. Like I said you can't help yourself. Why do you have such disdain for someone who exercises their right to choose? And you say that the science knows best. Really? I'm a big fan of science. But the medics don't always get it right. It wasn't long ago that doctors were saying that smoking was not only NOT bad for you but that it was actually beneficial. It wasn't long ago that doctors were prescribing thalidomide to pregnant women. Would you have taken it because others said you were selfish by not doing so and possibly clogging up the health service because of your morning sickness only to then give birth to a kid with no legs and lobster claws for hands.?

Doctors in the US ram Ritalin down the throat of every kid just because that kids is energetic. Again would you succumb to such pressure and drug up your child?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Everyone should at the very least have the right to know that they are meeting with someone who is covid positive, and knows so. They could have a sick relative at home. Djokovic is a dangerously stupid person.

If this is the type of loony stuff being crowbarred into threads like this I think I'll stay away from the main coronavirus threads. Deary me.

• Advertisement

If you've been vaccinated then why would you be at risk from someone who is unvaccinated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

he thinks he's above the law cos of his status etc.. I hope Hawke takes him down a peg or 100

If you or your relatives are at risk, get vaccinated.

The expectation that the whole world has to keep you safe is a fallacy, and thankfully it will be ending soon.

Covid is soon to be endemic, it will always be around, you will get it eventually.

What narrative change?

To my knowledge he didnt break any isolation protocols for entry into Australia, what he has or hasnt done in Serbia is irrelevant.

The Australian immigration (or other) authorities have no jurisdiction for transgressions outside Oz, so unless Djokovic broke protocol in Australia he should be allowed to enter and play.

Well a disproportionate amount of people in hospital with Covid are unvaccinated which is taking up resources and staff which means things like biopsies are being cancelled so yes it is putting the vaccinated at risk.

His form was incorrect regarding previous travel. You must not have seen that.

If he travelled to countries in the 14 days prior and also didn't list them which he has admitted then yes he broke rules.

Also Australia can deny a visa if you are deemed a danger and clowns who willingly go round with Covid could easily come under this

He/his agent lied on the form...or did you miss that part?

I did miss that part actually! Oh well he's f*cked so for that I'd say.

Being high profile for all the wrong reasons, he should not have given them any sticks to beat him with

• Advertisement

I wonder is there a section that states you filled it out yourself that would be signed. Like with the did you pack your own bags ?

Imagine getting stopped by Aussie border patrol and blaming your mammy for filling out the form wrong

It's now confirmed Djokovic admits he made a number of errors of judgement and messed up the process.

I'd guess the Aus government are withholding a decision to let this information 'bleed out' and influence public perception.

Don't see how he can play now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,716 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The Australian authorities don't care who filled out the form, or whether any false information was included dishonestly or just carelessly. They just care about whether the information is correct or false. Damage to Djokovic's public reputation may be limited by blaming the hired help but, from a legal point of view, that's irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Many of these people he met may not have been vaccinated, why would you assume they were? They would all have had the reasonable expectation that he didn't have covid, yet he did and decided to meet them anyway knowing he was infected. This only appears to have come out through the press so he didn't even have the decency to let all these people know that he may have infected them and for them to protect themselves and their families accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

If the government don't have him turfed out then all the efforts to keep people on board with restrictions will be difficult.

They now also have issue where he lied on immigration forms, the old excuse about someone else filling it out can't fly or it makes a total laugh out of their immigration service and rules.

Also the tournament organisers should at this stage beg for him to be turfed out or the tournament will turn into a shyte show with his supporters rioting with pro lockdown/pro vaccine and anti Serb opponents.

I am not allowed discuss …

Some straight talking here. Well done Channel 7. 😂

• Advertisement

There wouldn't be riots at a tennis tournament over covid restrictions you're dreaming

Therein lies the rub. People who don't wish to get a vaccine aren't inconveniencing themselves. It's the people who put the restrictions in place who are inconveniencing them. If the majority of the world choose to get vaccinated then why the need to make them prove that they have done so and why the need to make life difficult for those who choose not to get a vaccine? Couldn't governments just come out and say "this covid is some bad sh!t. We recommend you get a vaccine" and leave it at that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

There appeared to be no danger up until yesterday at least of sponsors pulling the plug, but I wonder will Hublot's LVMH parent want to be associated with him?

And then what about Lacoste or Peugeot ?

It has probably worked out conveniently for Australia's ANZ Bank and Jacob's Creek that their deals have expired.

Can't see an Australian company want to be associated with him now.

I am not allowed discuss …

Wow. You remind me of that woman in the supermarket in Stephen King's "The Mist".

• Advertisement
Advertisement