Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There are so many low flyers in the UK cabinet - like Raab, and I would include Truss in that. Unfortunately, the most of the others are flying even lower, and the few that might be higher flyers do not instil any confidence whatsoever. Some, like Patel, would cause me to seriously fear for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,729 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think Raab has lost what little credibility he had.

A woman named Priti Patel becoming the "Le Pen" style candidate for PM would be a scary but also hilarious irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,511 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Sunak might seem the most competent of the candidates, but I'd be very suspicious of him - he was a Brexiteer even before the 2016 referendum, unlike those fake Brexiteers and cynical opportunists like Johnson, Truss and Frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Famous last words etc....but Priti has probably peaked when it comes to her political career. She was popular with the grass roots as her rhetoric on immigration played very well, but as a minister she seems to have failed to satisfy the hardliners, that along with her general incompetence doesn't help to say the least.

From what I can gather, she is is a very poor Home Secretary. Yes, she's a hardliner and rabid Brexiteer etc, but UK political observers reckon she is very mediocre in the role in general and not someone who inspires confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Johnson cannot say at PMQ's that he has to wait for the report as he would just look stupid. "You have to wait for the report to see if you attended the party?" He has no way out but to resign if he attended the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,182 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Cannot wait for Prime Minister Questions tomorrow. This drama is better than any thing on tv

They could of used this for House of Cards script

I see Beth Rigby on Sky News is saying Johnson could be gone within days, depending on what happens in the next 48 hours. He's barely hanging on at the moment.....definitely the worst moment of his prime ministerial career.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

In fairness, throwing Mattie Storin off the HOC roof garden was probably a more dramatic tv cliff hanger than having a party in the Downing Street one.

But there are definitely parallels to how it ended for Urquhart with past events spiralling completely out of control and his enemies circling as his sins & lies are revealed.

I think whoever has orchestrated all this has done it really well - drip-feeding enough of the story on a regular basis and making sure each morsel was better than the last. Cleverly forcing the PM & his allies to go on the record with their reaction without anyone knowing what is to come down the line. In previous scandals the leakers have started with the best bit, and then the story had nowhere to go with the subsequent revelations being much weaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yep very poor.

Her stock was very high a few years ago because she was able to talk tough on immigration and was never under serious scrutiny, but obviously her failings since she got big positions over last few years have been well documented and obviously finished any PM ambitions she had a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Just to add to this that if Johnson gets the boot I think there will be a focus on, at least the appearance, that the sleaze and graft goes with him. Patel is implicated in that department for at least two reasons:

1. Her repeated bullying of underlings led to Johnson completely ignoring an independent enquiry's recommendations that she be disciplined
    2. She used her influence to gain lucrative PPE contracts for cronies

She's also clearly a cruel and vindictive person - but hey the Tory base might actually see that as a plus!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,729 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Today's headlines don't look good for Johnson and the right wing papers are not holding back either

I don't know why exactly but the choice of using the photo of him in the car with his "Boris character" hair hidden seems quite ominous to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,438 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Sunak has relatively little high-level experience - He only entered Cabinet in February 2020, so he has less than two years under his belt. I can't offhand think of another person who became PM with so little Cabinet experience, when their party had been in office for more than a decade.

He has done well as Chancellor, but primarily because Treasury has generally performed very well in meeting the extraordinary requirements of the pandemic, in marked distinction to some other Departments. And that speaks mainly to the strength and depth of Treasury's administrative capacity and resilience and the quality of its management, all of which were in place before he became Chancellor. So, while I agree that he may seem the most competent of the candidates, that's on the basis of fairly thin evidence; it mainly reflects the conspicuous dearth of competence in the wider Tory leadership. He seems most competent not because he had demonstrated conspicuous competence but because the alternatives have demonstrated no competence at all.

And I agree with you that he's on the economic and Brexity right of the party. If he pursues those policies, they will not serve the UK well. But he may - we don't know this - be more of a pragmatist than most on the economic and Brexity right, and this might moderate the zeal with which he implements the hard-right's destructive agenda.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Patel comes across as a nasty individual with no redeeming qualities at all. The hostile environment, instigated by May (another nasty type), still pervades is appalling - it affects the little people, while the Tories fawn over their donors with lucrative no competition Gov contracts.

Truss comes across as a below average type with no substance whatsoever and who cannot even play to the gallery. If she gets the gig, it will be another low point for the Tories from which they might not recover for a long time (which would delight me). Look at how May floundered in the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The writing was on the wall for this regime when they prorogued Parliament ahead of a Queen's Speech in 2019.

They got away with it because the country was still foaming at the mouth in the mire of Brexit.

Now that Brexit is in place and everyone has been brought back down to earth and calmed down, the people expect Johnson to behave like a normal politician which is beyond his capability.

Rishi Sunak is conveniently not in the chamber for PMQ's. New PM maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

All the english papers gone to town on Boris this morning, including the telegraph, with the exception of the express, which is as reasonably balanced as expected

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well what do people think was that "apology" enough?

• Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Boris saying he attended but he thought it was a work event.

He is surely, surely gone. How can he possibly hang on now.

Very disappointed with Sir Keir at PMQ’s. Keeping up with the same line that BoJo should resign, that he won’t budge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

He looks broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think he'll try to brazen it out, as much as there doesn't seem to be much fight in him.

Tories lining up the soft questions to give him a break between batterings.

He just got asked about filters in washing machines.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I stopped watching when I saw that nonsense. Johnson will survive for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭Shelga

I thought a few weeks ago that Johnson would lead them into the next election.

Now, I think he’ll be gone within a fortnight. The only question is if he resigns or is voted out by his parliamentary party members.

The potential candidates to replace him are so incredibly weak, though. My money would be on Sunak- cabinet experience aside, I think he would stand the best chance of winning a GE for them. But I’m hoping this is the beginning of the end of Tory rule.

He's definitely not going anywhere today.

I don't think he'd ever resign of his own accord, he's too arrogant and shameless for that, he'll need to be pushed.

It's hard to see how he survives though. This won't go away quickly, and you would have to suspect there may be more to come.

Kuennsberg on the BBC now saying she doesn't think his statement today will solve the problem for Johnson.

Is it just me, or does this have a bang of Sunak putting distance between himself and Johnson. Chancellor absent from a very high profile PMQ session?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Tbh his ability to just keep trundling along after each scandal is incredible.

He's going nowhere today, this was actually quite underwhelming given what was at stake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭Shelga

Advertisement