Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,017 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think The Marvels just finished filming which Ms.Marvel is in. I'd say it may be more likely that they might be changing some things in the show based on things that happen in the movie, adding or taking out some parts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

IIRC many/most of the Marvel movies go through periods of reshoots; I'd be slow to believe any shenanigans are afoot. Especially as there's a creeping narrative of "is the MCU dying?" of late. I'm not convinced it isn't facing some kind of crisis of identity, but might feed into an enthusiasm to report anything as a potential blip.

The idea of reshoots as a whole has just become fodder for web news sites and Twitter. Reshoots can be fairly standard, usually scheduled for well in advance in case they're needed, and usually the result of small things like editors/directors deleting/changing some scenes but then need to reshoot other scenes to compensate (adding key info from the deleted scene into another scenes or remove references to the deleted scene etc).

Due to some previous big-name films being really troubled and reshoots essentially reworking the entire film (Solo, Justice League, probably a lot more), any hint of reshoots for films/tv shows these days seem to be treated at the same level just as clickbait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,905 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The New Mutants reshoots that was essentially 3 separate movies each time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The MCU leans so heavily on post-production, "reshoots" just seem like the standard way they get things done, accommodate schedules and so on. Principle photography for a spell, then a period of pickups and miscellaneous that wasn't or couldn't be caught during that first phase.

I think it's one of the many reasons the films can have a very pedestrian look; everything's shot very simply, shot/reverse-shot and so on, so reshoots and inserts are less disruptive to continuity. Anything more elaborate demanding a more comprehensive or complex shooting schedule.

• Advertisement

Dark Phoenix too, where they had to change the entire third act because it was too similar to Captain Marvel if I remember right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,189 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Tut. A crisis is a DC thing not a Marvel thing. 😀

If I remember correctly Ms Marvel was originally meant to release in 2021 but obviously pandemic affected. It was meant to be the next series after Hawkeye so we'll see. If so, I think it would be replacing The Book of Boba Fett which would be due to end around mid February, so whatever is replacing it would probably start around end of February or beginning of March.

Yup, was admitted by Simon Kinsberg that they reshot the whole climax. Which, TBH, is madness even if there were similarities. Given what a big flaccid pile of mediocrity Dark Phoenix turned out to be, I can't imagine the space-based ending was that egregious that the utterly blah train set-piece played better. Hopefully "the 355" flops so hard we never have to worry about Kinsberg getting anywhere near a set ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

reshoots aren’t necessarily a bad thing.

Reshoots could also mean that Feige, etc. really impressed and decided to up the budget to allow for more action or more time for character development meaning new or revised scenes.

or maybe some things were not quite right so they just wanted to redo them

Fisk being in the Echo series doesn’t mean he can’t be in a SpiderMan movie.

Besides, the Echo series might not feature Kingpin at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,776 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Laura Donnelly has joined the cast of Marvel Halloween speical on Disney+ which is expected to be Werewolf by Night.

Gael Garcia Bernal was already announced.

Can The Punisher be a brought into the MCU in a way that suits the MCU ?

If the violence is brought way down and he doesn’t actually murder people is there any point to using him at all ?

Post edited by Need a Username on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

They could change the character to The psychologist and he could ask people would they like to talk about it ?

I couldn't see how without opening doors to the subject gun violence; doors IMO few in the Mouse House would want to touch. I'm sure he has his fans but it's a character that's ... tricky to adapt in the current climate. Can't say I find the Punisher appealing myself for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Plenty of death in the MCU, just not much bloody gore.

Deadpool 3 will probably be thing that pushes it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah reshoots are very common these days. I learned recently that a lot of the first episode of The Witcher was reshot with different actors. Same happened with Game of Thrones, whose first episode was almost totally reshot. It also appears that most of the first 30 minutes of Dune was re-shot. It doesn't always make the headlines and it's obviously bigger news when it's a Marvel/SW property, though Abrams was very good at keeping the TFA and TROS reshoots secret. I think it was Peter Jackson who popularised the idea of "pick-ups" being built into the post-production schedule.

Black Widow uses guns as does the Winter Soldier

and Hawkeye has shoot ups

He isn’t a character I much care about as there is superhero element and in the screen versions I have seen there is no super powered villains. And to be honest, the Netflix series brought the concept to comical levels - duct tape on broken bones and walking around with a head.

I’m was just curious as to whether there is a point to him if the violence MCU standard and he doesn’t kill.

Eternals is out today in iTunes and Disney+ and no extra content on either.

it isn’t so etching I remember happening before but might they be waiting for the physical release?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I reckon The Punisher would fit right into a show like Falcon and The Winter Solider. John Walker using the Captain America shield as a pizza cutter on the neck of a flag smasher is right out of the Netflix play book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,189 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I haven't read much of the character's stuff, but isn't Moon Knight also a violent character and he has a series coming.

I mean there's lots of death in shows. They don't have to go into face versus mirror levels of detail we saw in the netflix series.

I keep forgetting about that scene even though it shocking stuff

I’ve been thinking more on it and while the violence can indeed be toned down they would have to remove that he kills because they can’t have a hero who murders in the MCU

So if the violence and murder is removed there isn’t any stories for him

I think there's a tonal difference between "secret agents" fighting the good fight for the sake of some monolithic institution, and a pure vigilante; one who takes the law into their own hands - and sometimes to excess.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done but the political and social climate of America reads like The Punisher would be a very hard sell as a hero in the MCU universe ATM. And TBH I would understand: not sure many would cheer on that kind of protagonist. Dudes in Kevlar roaming the streets isn't fantasy anymore.

Now, written as an anti-hero or enemy, but a sympathetic one who has fallen far because of tragedy, that might work. Might make for an interesting villain for Spider-Man or another "pure of heart" hero - if they ever let Spidey just be a local boy once more.

I meant that there is no no problem with the use of guns in the MCU so shoot outs and the very presence of guns wouldn’t be a problem if it was a Punusher without that “excess”

as I said above I had been thinking more about and can’t see a way in which he fits as the only thing about him that sets him apart as a character is the killing. “Dudes in Kevlar roaming the streets” being something that does happen hadn’t occurred to me so you right - not going to happen.

That last paragraph - yes that would be a good way to use the character but to be honest Marvel have a very, very long list of real supervillains and the MCU have barely scratched the surface. I think I would rather see more of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

That was something that struck me about The Punisher on Netflix. If you knew nothing about Marvel or Frank Castle or any of the other Netflix shows. You'd never peg the show as based on comics. There were no super powers or super gadgets. It was just a (very good) ordinary veteran revenge drama.

I think comic book heroes with no powers are great but I find it dull that they never face bad guys with powers.

I like Arrow but it was nonsense that he never had to contend with few powered villains.

I didn’t enjoy the Punisher series - it was just too morbid it was difficult to believe that Castle could before like a human with his sidekicks family and that girl in season 2 while walking around with a head of some random minion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,062 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

The author of Dune, Frank Herbert wrote a book called, The White Plague.... worth a read as it shows the descent to madness of a man after the family are killed...

Advertisement