Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

Hasn't covered himself in glory obviously. As said getting a bit bored with the dragging out now.

Australians should move it to the next stage by either going to deport him or not. Djokovic would then either go or get his lawyers to apply for an injunction.

Shouldn't have done the interview even if was done with masks but there you go he has addressed it and said he did.

Plenty were saying that he wouldn't address it and would delay and say nothing.

Well he didn't fake his test despite the German paper putting out that rubbish that they had to bactrack on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭McFly85

Expect him to be turfed out now and rightly so. That statement from him was farcical. Claimed to take a PCR test because he was massively cautious, but not cautious enough to get the results until a day after it was made available or cautious enough to even mention it to l’equipe, or anyone he had been in contact with.

He has no intention of abiding by any state rules, so he should be treated accordingly.

I would say this will have a lasting damage to his image. If he doesn’t play here I can’t see him being able to play in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Djokovic has brought much of this on himself but I would agree Australian authority needs to make a decision. Lets be honest, if they were to thoroughly investigate every player, I have no doubt there are other secrets out there between invalid travel declaration forms, covid positive tests, travel within 14 days of getting to Australia etc.

This all comes down to one thing really, they should have just said fully vaccinated or no play. Had they done so none of this would ever have happened and there wouldnt be this huge mess.

They have a huge decision to make, either they presumably try to convince Djokovic to leave or they take the nuclear option and deport him. That is a complicated decision because if they choose that route, i think he is banned for at least 3 years and he will no doubt have played his last match at the Australian Open. I think they normally only reject a visa at this level in the event of someone being seen as a risk to Australia and its people. Is that the case here?

Apparently the three year aspect could be waived. Either way get a move on.

Don't think that there is any more to be learned at this point.

If djokovic had omicron then he'd be in a better position than the other players who could easily test positive like kyrgios has done because it's so contagious.

Him being the last is highly unlikely.

People going on about Djokovic not playing in other slams is magical thinking.

He will be at RG, that I'm certain of.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

I think there's lasting damage to his reputation now, unfortunately for him. It was said a while back on the thread that he isn't an anti-vaxxer, maybe in his heart he isn't but we have to judge him on his actions in the absence of the ability to read his innermost thoughts.

He has by his actions been well and truly been duct-taped to a variety of groups now, from ultra-nationalists to anti-vaxxers to anti-maskers to libertarians to , god-help-us, Nigel Farage. There's no walking this back with an instagram story or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

I don't get the pre-occupation with Djokovic's 'reputation' and 'legacy'. He's a tennis player, not the pope, and will be judged almost entirely on what he won rather than on morals. Is Steffi Graf remembered for her tax evasion or for her 22 Grand Slams?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭jacool

Tongue in cheek now, but you could represent him. You were asked one question, you quoted it, but you didn't answer it.

Can't seem how any true anti vaxxer would organise a vaccine drive like he did at the Serbian open this year.

He will go on playing tennis and there is more ammunition for anyone who wants to cast him as a villain after this forensic examination.

Maybe he will go get a vaccine or maybe he won't have to depending on how the pandemic plays out. With Omicron ripping through the boosted and vaccinated he's not going to be spreading anything more than anyone else and now has recent immunity on top.

He's a complex individual but not the devil incarnate like some of the fake moraliser extraordinaires would make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Djokovic will disappear from the headlines and political junkies will move on to something else.

Sports is a refuge from politics for a lot of people. They go to tennis, soccer and GAA to get away from the endless stream of controversies, accusations and bickering.

I answered it.

So what did Djokovic do to you exactly - didn't give you a tip or what?

Give us some better details on how he "wronged you"

How was he so arrogant or whatever?

Maybe he just didn't like the vibe off you or the cut of your jib?

Or shock maybe he was just having a bad day with the wife or a busy time with a lot on his mind.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Hasn't covered himself in glory is a soft enough statement for his antics in my opinion. I think they should deport him or I think if he cares a lot about his legacy, should consider apologising and going home. He will break the record anyway, genuinely think that would do more for him than winning this year's Aussie open. Not sure if he will be let play Wimbledon so grand slam year isn't on anyways.

He wont have tainted his legacy. Love him or loathe him he is probably the greatest tennis player of all time, when you look at the stats that is the case. People may question his character more and his judgment but none of this has any relevance to him as a tennis player. Also, you cant just forget all the good things the guy has clearly done, which media tends to ignore.......... giving huge amounts to charity both in Serbia and in other countries and trying to drive equality in the game with better prizemoney for lower ranked players etc. This has certainly harmed in from an optics perspective but at the end of the day if he is being judged as a tennis player, he will go down as an all time great regardless. I am sure the other top players have skeletons in their closet and secrets they dont wish the public to know, everyone has their flaws. Djokovic doesnt do himself any favours with saying ridiculous things at times and acting in ways you wouldnt expect, however he also isnt a boring robot who just says everything that is PC. The world and sport needs different characters, regardless of how divisive they are.

As I said he's a complex individual - has aspects and sides to him. He has for a long time had a divisive edge to him.

From the amazing tennis, resilience and extremely generous donations and charity work to looking out for other players (including ones struggling financially to stay on tour) easily more than any previous top player has done, to this stuff of his vaccine choice and some weird health beliefs to poor choice on not isolating properly. He has always been more authentic as a character also I would say compared to some (to his detriment as some prefer the drone type it appears and saying it as it is is just not on for some!).

Plenty have also always hated him purely because he started beating Federer so much. Especially in finals and grand slams. That's just a fact. Plenty had no problem at all with Djokovic before that.

Not a huge amount changes here. Provides more ammunition to point to yes. Before it was the toilet breaks that was given unbelievable mileage (even though it was hardly only him or even the only top player either), now there's more to point to. Not so sure that such a forensic examination on any player might come out smelling completely of roses.

In reality for however long more as he is around as a player (and will be a coach) he will be an even bigger interest factor now.

Remember in sport we have seen mass sexual assault on young athletes, sexual assault by athletes, murder by athletes, wife/partner beating by athletes.

In the frenzy some perspective can be hard to pick out at times.

I genuinely agree with a lot of this but he has tainted his legacy , for the very simple reason that many will remember him for this. That's actually not an opinion , it's factual, this story has become too big for him not be remembered by some people because of it. Granted they won't be tennis fans mainly but he has tainted his legacy.

I agree with a lot of the above , I do think this story will have affected his legacy though and the clever thing for him is to withdraw from this particular slam.

I'm pretty sure the Australians will go for the deport option (like get on with it either way ffs) but fook the supposed "clever" thing here - would be some drama to see him on court.

Let the gladiators fight and the crowd bay as they may.

Arise Spartacus!

Hahah I'm actually agreeing with you on this one. Better craic! Surely it's too late to deport him. Would you have him or medvedev fav? Im thinking Medvedev but he was hammered last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I was initially supportive but there's too many inconsistencies in his story now, they should just turf him out but they've made such a mess of the whole thing that I'm not sure they can at this stage. I agree this needs to be resolved one way or the other asap.

100% would have Medvedev favourite.

He hasn't gone through all this stuff, wouldn't have to face same crowd vibe, is in form, beats Djokovic at his own game (not sure Djokovic could do what he did in that great match at Bercy here against him again where he had to dramatically change his plan and execute it the highest level, even more so after all this)

Yeah I think it would be hard to do that over 5 sets. Id fancy it more likely that Djokovic gets to a final than Medvedev though he still does have the odd random loss. I think mentally yeah this could/should be a disadvantage, physically he'd probably be ok.

• Advertisement

Q. Has he gone down in your estimation out of interest? 

A. Hasn't covered himself in glory obviously. As said getting a bit bored with the dragging out now. Australians should move it to the next stage by either going to deport him or not. Djokovic would then either go or get his lawyers to apply for an injunction. Shouldn't have done the interview even if was done with masks but there you go he has addressed it and said he did. Plenty were saying that he wouldn't address it and would delay and say nothing. Well he didn't fake his test despite the German paper putting out that rubbish that they had to backtrack on.

I don't see the answer in there.

Q. So what did Djokovic do to you exactly - didn't give you a tip or what?

A. He was at a "meet and greet" event in New York. He was rude and sped through without spending time with the fans (I readily admit, I was not one). I didn't get any warmth from him at all. This was a box-ticking exercise. I fully admit that I had zero idea of what he was coming from, what he was going to, or going through. Its just a personal feedback based on one short event (so not to be extrapolated, I get) He didn't give me a tip either.

I am in a situation currently hugely impacted by Covid, and can see the tragic outcomes to people healthier than me, and younger than me, losing their lives because of non-vaccination. The hospital beds that 12 months ago were full of the old and compromised are now filled with people who should not be there. Its a waste and its a pity, and its avoidable. So yes, I am biased on the overall topic.

Shouldn't have done the interview even if was done with masks 

I said that - what do you want me to say?

It was irresponsible and poor judgement; should have cancelled it.

It's impossible to argue otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

I suppose there are (at least) two aspects to look at with this:

1 - there is no doubt that he is clearly preoccupied with his own legacy, not only the best tennis male tennis player ever, but in being accepted and loved by the 'public' while on that journey. He wants to be loved and therefor is after more than cold hard records. Everything he has done in the past month has worked against this. Of course it's not on the scale of say a drugs cheat, where his actual trophies are discredited. But the softer, nice to have stuff is being eroded, the stuff you need to have to be loved rather than grudgingly respected.

2- There is also my own personal perception of him, as someone who hugely admires his tennis, his self belief and tenacity, and who has given him the benefit of the doubt on everything else, as his more esoteric views on health related matters did not intersect with or impact on with my own. His covid carry on given me pause, and given my personal experience with covid, lock downs, self-isolation etc, I find his attempts to ignore and circumvent any impact that covid may have on his professional activities, extremely distasteful. It impacts me because it annoys the hell out of me.

I may still admire his tennis, I honestly won't know until i see him playing again, but something has been diminished. As someone once wrote:

' how can we know the dancer from the dance?'

So that's a "Yes" then. The question was binary.

If I'm honest I would have been the same about Jimmy Connors back when he was massive. I know I would have studiously ignored the rumours about gambling and extra-marital affairs, because all I could see was the player. There was less publicity then as well, so it was easier to do. For the players it was easier to maintain an untarnished reputation as well. Put it like this - his memoir paints a different figure to my "hero".

• Registered Users Posts: 56,142 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Anyone still clinging to these wee errors and omissions wanting him kicked out is just pathetic.

He’ll be gone in two-three weeks, after infecting absolutely fooking nobody.

Honestly I don't see Djokovic as a "hero" at all.

I've never viewed him as some perfect person to look up to.

In fact the fact that he was more complex and authentic made him a more interesting character.

I'm fascinated with his resilience and ability to summon amazing comebacks and performance, the way he has adapted his game, dramatically at times, to stay relevant in the face of new competition, at the top level as he gets older.

The way that he has pushed and maintained the standard of men's tennis in terms of consistency of performance and mental strength. The value of a winning a grand slam is high due to this. Not so much elsewhere.

That's what makes him most interesting as a player to me.

Does he come out of this worse than before he went into it - yes he does.

But I also really can't stand some of the fake moralising stuff that has being going on around Djokovic for years and years, long before this. For more than a few, as I said just because he was beating Federer in all those finals and slams. Others just because they didn't like him winning a lot or also beating other players like Murray or being forthright on some certain subjects.

I have absolutely no doubt that if we knew a lot more about some other very carefully cultivated player personas there would be some unsavoury stuff in there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Only saw these now

Let's hope these are reliable sources. Looks like he might be going then so, there's simply too much for authorities to ignore now. I very much doubt he'll be banned for three years though.

Why don’t they just get on with it rather than drawing it out? So ridiculous how badly this has been handled. Farcical

From a small bit of research bongiorno seems to be a very respected political Aussie journalist.

• Advertisement

Apparently Djokovic's lawyers provided a large amount of documentation to the Minister yesterday, and that is being reviewed before any decision is announced.

They'll be careful to get it right this time.

Advertisement