Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Men Wear Shorts Over running tights?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭longrunn

If it's an easy run and it's about 5 degrees or less, then I'll wear running tights. Only wear shorts over them if I'm bringing my phone and need a pocket.

If I'm doing a session then I'll wear a tracksuit pants with compression shorts for the warm up and then for the session I'll whip off the tracksuit pants and wear loose shorts over the compression shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭sully123

Are shorts over tracksuit bottoms still acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I personally don't like to see shorts over leggings but each to their own.

I was going to start a thread something like this but asking why the taboo around wearing tights in the first place? I wear my tights when it's cold to make sure my muscles are kept that little bit warmer and I like the tight feeling of them especially on my calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Why the taboo? Coz cranky feckers like @OOnegative walk the planet (wearing speedos in -10'C no doubt)...😂

You took the words right out of my mouth!

I was trying to Quote Quinn from the other page and yourself simultaneously but there's a bug in the system that doesn't allow it to quote properly from the two pages.

Apparently its offensive to the public for men to wear tight shorts or running tights on their own.

A lot of men say that its women who are offended but is it?

The thing is this, if men went around with everything on display they would be open to as much criticism about their

bodies as women are and you'd probably find men looking for a lot more procedures than hair transplants.

Maybe that's not what you were thinking about Laineyfrecks......:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

No issues with ladies wearing tights whatsoever be they running or nylon!! I’ve ran in -10 here in shorts and not felt cold but that’s just me. Tights just look wrong on men, but each to their own. If they help you get out the door in inclement weather keep wearing them.

Ye’ll all still be pansies in my eyes though!!!

Yeah joking aside, tights are very handy as well, but I could never wear them indoors.

Just too much heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Housefree

It's one thing wearing the shorts over the tights but you will do yourself serious injury trying to run in high heels

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

i've one pair of tights and love them.....never wear shorts over them - there's no practical advantage for me. Tights are worn in cold weather primarily to keep everything down there....ahem warm....everything gets painfully cold otherwise😂 Recently (by mistake) bought a pair of shorts with bicycle shorts attached and although I do like them, they're not nearly as comfortable as the tights.

• Advertisement

Just back from a lovely 7 mile run.......................in my tights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

You have thermal regulation issues anyway 😂😂

I have become a convert to running tights, without shorts. Nothing wrong with wearing the shorts over them but I just find it gets too warm and too cluttered in the lunchbox area.

As for the reference to 2 in 1 shorts. They're far more than a fashion statement for men or women, for me they totally eliminate chaffing of the inner thighs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I once realised a couple of miles into a the Charleville Half Marathon that the shorts I'd chosen were the only non ‘2 in 1’ pair that I owned. Don’t know if the ‘loose’ feeling had anything to do with it but I ended up running a PB!

Don’t like tights myself, so the ‘shorts-over’ debate doesn’t apply. I do notice that a lot of GAA and rugby people adopt the football shorts-over-tights look when out for a run.

lol, this is becoming kind of tedious and technical now.

The women's two in one shorts that I have seen in Lifestyle etc - the inner shorts (which are the lycra bicycle shorts) are usually almost as short as the

baggy outer shorts and as anyone who has worn bicycle shorts knows, they ride up quite a lot.

So I'm not sure if they are fit for the purpose you describe. This is ridiculous, you'd know I was bored to tears 😂

But if your shorts serve the purpose of your chaffing then that's good enough reason to wear them.

I'm not looking at this thread again, this is dreadful lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Im the opposite - I hate wearing tights - I feel restricted in them . I only wear them when it’s very cold now . I wore tracksuit bottoms running for years - as tights were only for proper runners - then tights , then baggy long shorts . Now I have ditched the baggy shorts and wear tight not so long shorts . I’m older and fatter and am more comfortable than ever - dunno why it took so me so long .

Lots of my friends wear both because of chaffing and because of other womanly issues related to childbirth - a double layer is needed . They want shorts during summer but need to feel protected as well .

The struggle is real .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Don't get me wrong I love nothing more than wearing my shorts, tight, loose, short, not so short whichever I pull from the drawer but I also don't mind the running tights when needed! God we are gas, I see someone in a certain pair of shorts or tracksuit bottoms & think ah they are just beginners & would also think "real" runner when I see running tights especially on blokes! Of course anybody can run in anything that makes them feel comfy but it's just the perception!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Your right lol ! Most male runners wearing tights in winter are “ runners “ and would see running as their actual hobby - then the short wearing multi layered guys - are using running to stay fit or are soccer/gaa players.

So wearing the pants says your trying and the other guys like to pretend they are not 🤣

Funny - I was at a race recently ( In November ) wearing shorts - and I said to my buddy people are going to think we are very serious front of the packers here with our shorts on . You could pick out all the fast runners by their shorts - and the back of packers by the millions of layers they had on .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

True. I saw a certain outspoken boardsie at Jingle Bells and he looked like he was dressed for a slow walk in the Alps. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Be the first man to abuse lads wearing tights to!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

I might have a resolution for all, is there anything to be said about wearing underpants over the tights...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭longrunn

That's the reason I wear compression shorts for pretty much every run that I do, regardless of weather. I get really bad chafing and the compression shorts minimise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Got my 5K PB in tights to I won't hear a bad word against them. 🤣

Shorts over tights looks a bit naff but each to their own.

Must be also mentioned that some can pull off the look better than others - whether you're an advocate of shorts over or no shorts over.

Some people do look a bit like a winter-tighted-Mamil who had to abandon a bike en route and is now running home.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭babacool

As many stated already, I wouldnt be worried about wearing tights at all! shorts definitely under the tights though to avoid bad chaffing but other than that...couldnt care less :). In fact I have been seen wearing tights, wolly hat, buff and a nice, thick jumper when it was "warm" outside (around 10-14degrees). It is just a nice feeling and keeps you warm, which especially important if your fat count is at the lower end (at least in my case) you get cold quite easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

I wear shorts over tights. I have run without the shorts over them but I get a few ladies on the run look me in the face and then look down. I don't care too much but makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. Always a group of lads are great for the comment then also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

No problem with tights although this winter it's been very mild so not much need for them. Great before a session on the track if you're spending a good while doing drills. Wearing shorts over them is mad. It's like going around with your boxers over your jeans. Maybe it's a confidence thing so each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Most popular thread of the year? at least we know what sparks a good debate now, stupid sexy Flanders.

Each to their own I say, I couldn't care less what people wear but I'd agree with a point above that it's possible a confidence thing. The shorts offer little in terms of practical application, they're more of a genitals/arse sheath. You'll rarely see a club runner with shorts over tights because ironically they'd be crucified, the very same reason the GAA player is wearing them for. It is typically the new runners or GAA/rugby/soccer players keeping fit in the off season. God forbid they were spotted in tights. Embrace your inner Flanders, we all have the bits.

Advertisement