Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

There are several different options.

1. Keep the car and pay off the balance in full.
    2. Keep the car and refinance the balance.
    3. Trade the car in to the dealer for a new car. Assuming value of car is higher than the balanced owed (equity), dealer will apply this to new purchase, presumably on another PCP.
    4. Give the car in to Volkswagen Finance as payment for the balance, in which case you'll get nothing from any value in the car over the guaranteed minimum value minus any charges for kilometrage above 60k over the 3 years.

You may not have equity in the car. There's no guarantee of equity, which is what they had you sign, they only guarantee the minimum value. But if it's worth more, they'll want to sell you another car and should make a fair offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

as range extends for new models, 25 in 2025 looks optimistic

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

The way things are going, the car will be worth say 25K but to get the 5k value above the balloon payment, I'm thinking that it's probably best to refinance initially and then look to trade-in afterwards. One way or another, I don't want to be without a car.

Could the dealer potentially have a buyer lined up for the car, knowing that the 3 years are up or do I assume that I'll have first option on my choices of keeping or returning or refinancing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MRJ

Ordered Tour 5 last week, I was told 3-6 months lead time, not in any hurry as my trade-in value is guaranteed.

Swings and roundabouts with PCP, pay balloon to own or pay a lot more per month to own with hp, if you intend to get rid after 3 years why pay a lot more to own it and have to trade it in ? PCP gives you more options, of course you can refinance after 3 years on hp but you'll still have outstanding payment and if you have any equity in the car it's because you'll have paid a lot more in monthly payments, you get nothing for nothing but there are exceptional circumstances or where you say you're doing 50 K Kms a year and only end up doing 7k then you'll still have paid a lot more PM so it's good to get everything right to begin with and have a good knowledge of the amount of Kms you expect to do over the 3 years.

• Advertisement

This assumes that current subsidy levels for new EVs remain in place.

Also, the main questions one should be asking are these: is demand for used EVs likely to rise, remain the same, or fall? Same question for supply. I see demand increasing (not everyone can afford a new car) and supply being constrained precisely because of the chip shortages affecting all manufacturers now.

Post edited by Sam the Sham on

• Registered Users Posts: 41 keg

ordered Tour 5 last week also and was advised end of April/May. June would be the worst case scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

It's your decision, if you pay the final payment called the GMV then the car is yours to do with as you please.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Billydoc

Had to take the id3 58kw battery to Dublin and back today. My plan was to take the family diesel car but that let me down yesterday. But anyway, was nervous taking the ev, never used public charger before and range and charger anxiety etc but went a blast….. left home with 98%, live in south donegal so went to Dublin city center for quick appointment this morning, stopped in blanchardtown on way home back the m3, the 150kw charger was available thank the heavens. Plugged her in at 11% remaining. And went for a bite to eat. And when I got back it was at 89%. It had 45kw charged in 43 mins. Was delighted. Got home with 6% left!!

Hopefully VW can knock some time of this fast charging by the end of the year, if you think about it in the future, you're as well off plugging into a 50 Kw charger and paying less if you intend to stop for as long.

• Advertisement

Was thinking the same on my way home!!! I’ll be better organised next time 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

You were blessed, that charger is frequently used by people for preferential parking and not bothering to plug in or just abandoning ship- you sail in needing a charge and all you see are empty cars- some charging, some not.

Its the future they said, as you sit there wondering if anyone will ever return to their car, as the clock ticks slowly by and home seems to be getting further and further away …..

woke up this morning to the id3 stuck in offline mode, I see it is a common enough issue. Did anyone here do the remove the fuse method or should I sit and see will it fix itself?

I collected my car last week and it was stuck in offline mode from the moment I got it home. Rang the dealer who told me to bring it in. Brought it in and was told that it was a big complicated operation and that they'd need the master service technician to do the job and the guy was terribly sorry that the fellow on the phone had told me the car could be looked at that day but could I please bring it in bright and early the next day and it shouldn't take more than a few hours and very sorry that we can't provide a loaner car but you can have some free coffee while you wait.

Went home and decided to try the fuse 19 trick. The car, mind, had not once been in online mode so I couldn't even register with We.Connect.

Took the fuse out and, lo and behold, it worked! Car has been online since. Just make sure you're working on the interior fuse box (not the one under the bonnet) and that you have the right fuse. There are schematics and photos all over the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

Congrads on the car, Nothing like a bit of help from our EV buddies on this forum. As they say "Knowledge is Power"

Look at the hassel you saved, and the fact they couldn't give you a loner after parting with at least 40K. Only in Ireland as they say.

Yip that fuse trick worked 👍 lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

So, I've had my ID3 first edition for a year and a bit now. When I got it the airbag light kept coming on so I brought it back to the dealers, who ended up keeping it for weeks because they kept getting failures when reinstalling the software. Eventually they got it back to me after applying the update around this time last year, it was the first update after the original software, the one that added Carplay but hadn't added OTA updates yet.

The whole experience put me off ever bringing it back to be updated, but it's been over a year and there have been many updates since then. I've never had a problem with the car since those initial issues and there's nothing that gives me a burning desire to update it, although the UI is clunky and slow when I want to do things like change heating controls. I'm wondering how much that's been improved and it's worth my while looking into getting it updated now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Have you had the over the air update 2.3 yet? I also had a few issues when car new in Sept 2020 but has been flawless since, have had all the ota updates and car software has certainly become less clunky, the only time I find a bit annoying is when you first hop in and need to adjust heater controls. Also I notice the battery heating not so aggressive this winter, was out this morning only a few kms and there was no battery heating, yet there was a temperature warning.

Otherwise when the early updates were being done I found the dealer experience good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

What version are you on? 2.1?

2.3 made the UI a bit snappier but other than that it didnt add much value. If the car is running reliably and no warning lights etc coming up I'd say leave it alone.

Note, there is supposed to be a service notice going out which will require all of us to take the car to the dealer anyway for the v3.0 software update and they will call you, rather than you calling them, so you might as well just wait for that to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah I believe it's 2.1 - sounds like sitting tight and waiting for 3.0 is the sensible thing to do for now then 👍️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭VWPAT

You won't get 3.0 software unless you have 2.3. Cars who had 2.3 ota will get recall for 2.4 before 3.0. Some modules are not suitable for ota. The recall solves this problem. Some vehicles will also have the 12v battery replaced.

Just got email to accept OTA updates lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

my auto wipers has packed it in. Given the way the wife was treated like a child the last time by the the south dublin dealers, and the fact I can live without it, I will see if the next software update fixes it.

Also, does anyone else think the wash wipe function when you pull the stalk to spray is WAY WAY too slow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,036 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Someone here said that they had an issue with the auto wipers but cleaned the windscreen up where the cameras are and never had an issue again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭pad199207

I got ID 4 delivered with 2.3 installed. Will I need the new battery replacement too?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭VWPAT

Only cars supplied with 2.0 and 2.1 software and got 2.3 OTA are being recalled. This will bring those cars the few bits missing from 2.3 OTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Liam2021

I need to get 2 tyres for the back of the id3, 215-55-18 . Has anyone any suggestions on a good brand that will last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Is that confirmed anywhere by VW? My ID3 came with 2.3 on arrival, I wonder if that means I don't need the recall?

Advertisement