Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

That "cash machine" is on all the Bauer Media stations. Each of them claim it as their cash machine, i.e. "newstalk cash machine", "spin103 cash machine", etc.! The giveaway statement is when they say "across the Go Loud network". I heard Jonathan Healy on Newstalk say this morning something along the lines of "across the Go Loud network of stations".

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Toodles_27

I know - it’s infuriating. You can tell by the way they make the calls to “the lucky winner”too. But I suppose they must be making money from it otherwise they wouldn’t keeP going with it. I genuinely hit the off button on the car radio when it comes on - that and the covid ad’s. Should really just move to Spotify permanently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I agree with everything you’ve said. I do think though that D and D will be the next to go. Their show is stale- the same thing over and over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Yesterday on the Last Words music slot. They played the new Fontaines DC song.

Now the only people I've ever heard play Fontaines DC on Today FM were Fergal D'Arcy (sacked), Paul McCloone (sacked) who championed the band about 4 years ago and Ed Smith (moved to graveyard spot to make space for a clone daytime DJ).

John Claddell, who I believe is the man behind the music played on Today FM, called the Fontaines a great band.

Well John, perhaps grow a pair and have somebody who plays a bit of new, different Irish music to the daytime masses, rather than press play and rinse and repeat Ed Sheeran, Dermot Kennedy, Beyonce, Coldplay et al

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I actually can't stand D&D now. Thing is I used to love when they were on 98.

I keep scrolling through clips of them on my facebook feed. I just don't see anything funny about that Nonie character? And "Daves bad jokes" is just a terrible segment. Lowest of the low. Anything Dermot does is met with exaggerated laughing by Dave too..like a laugh track at this stage subliminally telling us it's funny.

Used to love them on 98 when they had some Dub on talking about recipes with chocolate...always ended with "because everyting is bettah wih' choclah'" and "Say stuff that suits the music".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Toodles_27

OMG, I hate Noni - and I’m from Limerick!

Ya, the show is really tired now. New some new ideas or else, as someone else said, they’ll be next for the chop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Wait … my post was misogyny?

I was commenting as a parent! You do 5 days a week of all the early mornings or all the put downs and it’s a bloody tough gig.

Dempsey on his anniversary special specifically mentioned how great his wife was as she was around for much more of the early mornings with the kids and all that. Paula worked on that show, she was probably there.

If she was married to a woman I would have said “her poor wife”.

She missed it by <> much!

I should have said partner, I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,199 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Guess again. You should have minded your own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Dermot and Dave are great ye heathens. Absolutely hate the cash machine. The sooner gambling advertising is banned the better. Get your finger out politicians.

• Advertisement

On a thread, on a discussion forum?

ill be sure to run all my comments past you in future.

I guess like anything else, but particularly commercial radio, familiarity breeds contempt.

I like most of Today FMs presenters, didn’t like Fergal D’arcy but after a few weeks of listening solidly they’d all begin to annoy me due to the repetition and filler. Take a break for a few weeks, come back and think “ah yeah, this is great” and then the cycle repeats itself!

Discuss Today FM all you like. Don't go around sharing opinions on how a parent should or should not raise their own children. That's their private life. Don't cross that line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Yeah Nonie is terrible. They ditched Chug Stenson and kept her when the Silly Sports section was far superior. Even Tony Cascarino's dance classic is better than Nonie, Matt.

Where did I do that? I commented on something I can relate to, something she speaks about openly on her shows.

thats not what the perceived slight on her part was referring to either. You’re moving the goalposts now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Bring back Tony Cascarino's club classics! Matt!

I'm afraid I'm another who can't stand Nonie. I just don't find that kind of "comedy" funny. I'd put it in the same category as Mrs Browns' Boys which I also detest, but sketches like that clearly have an audience that does love it.

I do like D&D for the most part. The repetition and rehashing of interviews they've done (sometimes in the same show) is painful, but overall I'd miss them if they weren't on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Agree 100%, fergal darcys show on Sundays reminds me of some of the good music that got played at today fm. This has now been tucked away for Sunday mornings at 8am.

It boggles the mind that fontaines don’t get played, unlike 2fm who are championing Irish bands, even if they’re not particularly day time radio friendly - and that includes new Irish hip hop and urban music.

the music selection at today fm lacks any character and has 2 modes:

-current chart music

-now that’s what I call 2002 on rotation.

joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The month of December was actually a welcome relief. The wall to wall repetition of the same songs from the current chart was replaced or at least supplemented with Christmas tunes. OK, a lot of those are crap too, but there's a few gems and at least it was a change up!

It was back to normal from Stephen's day...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I found Brian Deady, first on Ian Dempsey and then on D&D. They both used to have slots for new Irish music, which was great. Out for a walk earlier and looking through a playlist I found a song called Up with people by Lambchop - from I think, 2000. I heard it one morning, years ago on Ian's show, and went looking for it. Little chance of doing that these days. I would have thought that D&D and others would much prefer being able to change the music around and play other stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Look, if they did play Fontaines DC during the day, they'd very quickly be quickly added to the "Jaysus, Today FM, all they do is play Dermot Kennedy and The Coronas" posts here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭nomoedoe

I dont thnk there’s going to be much difference music wise between Pamela and Paula id often listen to Paula in the mornings when i work nights and she comes across as a very nice friendly person not sure how she will get on in the evening but best of luck to her!, I won’t be listening either way as i still haven’t forgiven TodayFM for moving Ed to 10pm…Tara Kumar on 2FM is great in the evenings ,really knows her music and plays a great mix throughout the night ill stick to that for now..

Well it's great that if Tara Kumar (was she Stewart or is that somebody else entirely?) isn't to my taste, there is an alternative available even if it's the same stuff I heard throughout work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

One of them is doing a show with Doireann Garrity (groan) on rte , so it wouldnt surprise me he's trying to move back to tv(join the gravy boat that is rte)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

agree, unreal eclectic mix of music at that time. Louie’s MCSharry also had that slot a few years ago with great music. They give the likes of Denise Chaila great exposure and today fm play her for max 2 weeks airtime in the evening.

on the other hand, rte obviously have the pleasure of being able to take those risks as its state owned, but surely today fm can widen the playlist a bit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That was an one off show. Eoghan McDermott was scheduled to cohost it but he’s off the radar these days for some reason.

Dermot stepped in last minute to replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

Foley's return has completely diverted any attention to the fact that there has been a net loss of 1 show and 1 presenter in the schedule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Bit of an jump there. They could play the likes of Fontaines, Ham sandwich, fangclub, Wyvern Lingo etc once or twice a day to promote new Irish music to the daytime masses.

Instead of playing Picture That and Dermot Kennedy every hour on rotation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Juniper Petite Sordidness

they used to do that - found a lot of off the radar irish bands, and McLoone's show from 9pm was fantastic than the lame latest pop song theyre forcing down

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

JP heading back to Today FM with Foley anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Huzzah. Delighted for them.

Advertisement