Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Investigative reports

Inward migration the scourge of all nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Oh it does happen, only in proper countries like Germany etc. Not in Paddyland.

It comes back to the political will to support/encourage Justice to deal with them, with deportations. It simply isn't there... but the processes are in place should they ever find the will.

It's the same with most problems in Dublin, whether it's crime, begging or drug usage. There are laws in place, systems available to process those involved, but there's little real interest in dealing with the problems, because it forces politicians/public servants to take responsibility for exercising authority, and opens themselves up to all manner of criticism from the Media, or minority support groups/NGOs.

To be fair, the same issue with having the will and exercising that authority is a problem in many areas of Europe... Western culture has placed so much emphasis on individual rights and freedoms, that it's managed to paralyze itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What was commonly accepted before, during and after the period surrounding the American Civil War was that the Irish were a greater threat to Nativist ideals of their Republic, than blacks, who were just their property.

There’s a nuance to the narrative of Irish immigrants in America and the idea that they worked hard and assimilated themselves into American society. Some wealthier Irish immigrants were able to fend for themselves and organise themselves, but the vast majority of Irish immigrants were viewed in the very same way as some people nowadays view immigrants to Ireland.

It’s easy to draw parallels and assign modern values/concepts to that period in history, because people aren’t any different now than they were then - modern values/ concepts haven’t changed a bit since then, and Western society isn’t any more civilised now than it was then.

When I think of media portrayals of the American Civil War, Django Unchained is not the first one that springs to mind, not least for the fact that I’ve never seen it as I just don’t find Tarantino all that entertaining, but I think of movies like Gone With The Wind and mini-series like North and South or Roots.

If I were to think of a movie portrayal of the Irish and how they were regarded in the same period, Gangs of New York is a good one -

I tried to watch The Irishman recently on Netflix, but it was a bum-numbing three and a half hours, and I didn’t find it particularly entertaining, even if it is more historically accurate than anything Tarantino has ever done.

Stopped reading when i got to the "modern values/concepts haven't changed a bit since then". Absolute thunderwaffle.

• Advertisement

What happens when an LGBT person's life comes into contact with a devout muslim who thinks they should burn in hell?

What happens when a lgbt person comes into contact with anyone who think they should burn in hell?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭yoke

The same thing that happens to any non-muslim when they come into contact with a devout muslim who thinks they should burn in hell, ie. Nothing.

The problem occurs when a devout religious nutjob decides that their own god is useless, and tries to give a helping hand

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Very good work, @enricoh. These statistics should be what informs our debate.

But it is hardly a surprise that newcomers to the state, many poorer than the average citizen here, may be overrepresented in the figures of those who need state support.

But, of course, we cannot apply different rules for people, in regard to access to state services, on the basis of where they are from.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

But that the problem yoke, isn't it? When hardline Muslims come in contact with unbelievers, and decide to follow Mohammad's instructions to the letter. And then you will see bloodshed, has happened too many times world wide and not just historically, but in recent times. So it all depends on the circumstances. Your devout Muslim here in Ireland who is surrounded by unbelievers, is unlikely to harm anyone.....but in a different place would he react differently? Until it happens, (or not) only time will tell. But you cannot say with certainty that it will never happen.

• Advertisement

SAw the demands in the workplace increase the more there were.. Calls for lunch free lunch meetings. during ramadan brazenly walking in and putting their work on my desk complaining they were too tired and had headaches.. and acting all offended when told forcefully where to go

Not the least bit surprising that you would dismiss the idea of modern values and concepts not having changed a bit, as thunderwaffle, and proclaim proudly that you didn’t read any further.

Had you read further, you might have understood the context in which the point was being made, in a thread about multiculturalism and immigration where @jmreire made the point that Irish immigrants worked hard wherever they landed, and @[Deleted User] made the point that Django Unchanged was a good example of how blacks were regarded in American society and culture during the time of ownership of black slaves.

Gone With The Wind is one of the greatest movies ever made, and it’s influence on American society and culture cannot be underestimated or understated, both on and off the silver screen. Had Clarke Gable been around today (and providing the #metoo movement didn’t get to him first!), you would undoubtedly be leading the charge to portray him as woke for his reaction to segregation on the set of the film (segregated toilet facilities for whites and blacks), and again at the premiere of the film in 1939 which was held in Atlanta (where a certain future civil rights leader was a mere choirboy), and the black cast members were prohibited from attending due to the Jim Crow laws in effect at the time.

It wasn’t until 1964 that the American Civil Rights Act was passed which made discrimination on a number of grounds unlawful, and yet still in 2016 they elected a President who made no secret of his feelings towards immigrants and their impact on American society and culture. Granted the alternative was Hillary who didn’t exactly cover herself in glory by condemning anyone who didn’t share her opinions as ‘deplorable’, but the point is that it demonstrates the same attitudes exist in American society and culture as always did. If people who claim to be Republican had their way in 2020, there would be no way the descendant of Irish Catholic immigrants would hold the office of the President of America.

In the very thread where there are people who would deport all immigrants in the morning if they had the power, and block any more from coming into Ireland by characterising their presence in other European countries the way they do, using exactly the same rhetoric as was used then, couched in modern terms like “incompatible with our culture”, and you dismiss the observation of the parallels as thunderwaffle, I’d suggest you were either having a laugh, or you were being wilfully ignorant.

I generally prefer to keep things light-hearted, so I’m gonna go with the far more likely scenario that you’re having a laugh.

The bottom line is that Islamic Culture is the complete opposite to western culture in most cases. In Islamic Country's, its not a problem, as they are all on the same page, but the problems start when east meets west. I've lived in many Islamic Country's and when there, I adapt to the Islamic way of Life, so no conflict. But even then, Ramadan presents challenges even to Muslims, fasting from Sunrise to Sunset, and fitting in a "normal" life during the limited hours of darkness. Add in the call to prayers at 05:00 hrs, and its easy to see how it can be a stressful time. Tempers can be very short and frayed, and I've seen scuffles break out over the simplest of things, a slight tip between two cars in the crowded and sometimes chaotic street's can lead to an altercation where guns will be produced. If you were to look at the accident statistics, they would show an increase during Ramadan. In the UK and US, there has been questions about the fitness of Muslim's driving school transport during Ramadan. Most businesses close a bit earlier during Ramadan, but that does not suit the business model here in the west. And that's the situation, basically both cultures are incompatible with each other, and that's why you will see more and more Islamic enclaves in European cities.

Ahh here, this is bottom of the barrel stuff 😒

The question was asked alright, or rather like you just did - the suggestion was made, to the UK Parliament by way of petition, and it was rejected -

It’s as though you’re attempting to put across the idea that Muslims present a greater risk to the general public by virtue of them being Muslim, because if I were to follow your earlier argument that Islam cannot change (which I don’t agree with), I’d still know that in any religion, they have dispensations for every circumstance, because the nature of religion is to provide guidance for every circumstance, and Islam is no different -

Wasn’t it only what, two, three weeks ago an artic truck driver crashed their vehicle in Dublin airport and we’d people on here jumping in early with sorts of conclusions about the driver. Any idiot could say look at statistics and draw their own conclusions which they could claim are supported by statistics, and unfortunately there are a few people who do just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭yoke

You seem to forget how hardline Christian Ireland was only 30 years ago. Dublin may have been somewhat more relaxed, but down the country if you were an atheist you'd be shunned and looked down upon by over half of the christians.

Kindof similar to how I imagine an atheist would be shunned and looked down upon by over half the muslims in a muslim country right now. But that doesn't mean they can't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Luttrell1975

All muslims do that, right? They all take out a sword and cut the throat of the "sinner"..... amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Glock17

Christianity and Islam are two different ball games...

The bible has had different versions to allow for different interpretations through time. The koran is the literal word of God. Anyone rewriting it will get killed....

Christians can leave the church and nothing happens. If a muslim leaves islam he can be killed.

No, not all Muslims do that,,,but some do...too many, in fact. Unless of course you believe that isis, taliban, al -quaida, boko haram, et-al are not Muslim?

I grew up in the Ireland you speak about, and down the Country at that, the whole religious bit, educated in the CBS etc. Catholic then, and still a Catholic. If there was discrimination back then, I didn't see it... and we lived beside a Protestant family, who were popular and highly thought of. ( of course Northern Ireland did have massive discrimination, but against Catholics ) But while the North was divided along religious lines, it was not religious mandated.......no where can you see in the Bible, "Kill the Unbeliever". It was purely political in the North. Islam is different in that the Quran specifically states " Kill the Unbelievers", and those who leave Islam. This has not changed since the 6th century, and because its considered the Holy Word of Allah, only he can change it. There has never been any real change's since the 6th century, unlike with the Bible, which was changed drastically by Christ. That was our reformation. And in the Muslim Country's that I've lived in, I've seen plenty of hardline discrimination against non-Muslims. But it would be fantastic if only they could change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Catholic,Protestant,Anglican, COI take your pick.

I grew up in a devout Christian family in the countryside during the 80s, and honestly, I don't remember that being the case. Sure, there were the older women who gossiped, and cast their judgment against anyone who went against their idea of worthy living, but they were pretty much a remnant of the past, rather than the norm. I never really felt that serious oppression to conform to the traditional standard... and TBH most of the religious people I knew (friends, family etc) were generally quite open minded about a variety of issues. In many ways, I'd consider them more open minded then, than most people are today. Less judging and more acceptance all around. I lost my faith in my teens, and only found support and sympathy from others, as opposed to your belief in people looking down on you, and this was after I'd considered entering a seminary to become a priest.

Islam is very different though. I don't agree with the earlier posts about Muslims going nuts and killing. Sure the possibility is there, but it's not something likely to happen for the vast majority of Muslims who are rather law-abiding. The difference is when they're in their own countries, where the laws support their outrage over issues.

Islam is where Ireland was 70/80 years ago, rather than 30 years ago. There is no progressive movement(s) within Islam that affects all Muslims, like the way there was within Christianity. While Islam, dependent on the geographical region, did relax over time (somewhat), the only real movement that exists today is the movement to return to harder more fundamentalist interpretations of their religion.. and by extension, how people live. I've said it before on the thread, but its worth repeating... Islam is a religion of conformity through peer pressure. Being a very very community driven religion, conformity is reinforced.

Modern Christianity is not even remotely the same as Modern Islam.

Wow, an even longer lot of waffle.

Trump has/had no issue with "immigrants", he was against ILLEGAL immigrants. The same as most people in here.

I guess Biden must also hate them, filling up Trumps "concentration camps" with even more people https://nypost.com/2022/01/11/new-photos-show-disturbing-conditions-at-us-mexico-border-facilities/

No matter how many times you and your ilk try to twist it that people want all foreign people out of Ireland, it will always remain that this is not the case. Hardworking, skilled immigrants are more than welcome in Ireland. Non-skilled, drain on society immigrants are not.

@[Deleted User] made the point that Django Unchanged was a good example of how blacks were regarded in American society and culture during the time of ownership of black slaves

Actually I didn't make that point... but it hardly matters since you haven't seen the movie, and yet, you still could express an opinion on my use of it as an example. If you had seen the movie, then you might have understood my point better, and not needed to put your own spin on my supposed opinion.

(I have you on ignore, and only saw this from Fandymo's post)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Did you set up the old prayer room for them?

Imagine the reaction if a christian asked for a prayer room.

Bullshyte.

30 years ago was 1992.

By that stage there were lots of people even in rural areas not going to mass, etc.

There were lots of people as used to be described living in sin.

There had been massive changes even in the late 70s never mind the 80s.

And being shunned because you were anything bar a catholic down the country in 1990 or 1992 or even 1980 is an absolute load of bollox.

I am not allowed discuss …

Ever try to leave the Catholic church?

can't be done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I was born a catholic, haven't been to mass in years. Have never had anyone from the Catholic church contact me to see if I was still practicing.

Please explain your statement.

Actually, you're wrong there Bubbly. It's true that it's extremely difficult, but for anyone willing to jump through the hoops of the RCC there are ways. It's just a very awkward process, and prone to delays, which is why most people just become non-practicing. I know know two people who have gone through the entire process, and been stricken from the rolls (both former priests)

Its the perspective that once baptized and accepted into the RCC, you can't leave without official permission, and it's generally rare that the RCC gives that permission (although then again, very few people actually seek to be recognised as leaving the religion, as opposed to just stop worshiping/believing)

“Your ilk” haven’t seen that epithet borne of indignance been thrown about in this thread in a while 😂

My point wasn’t that Trump himself has any issue with immigrants. Trump loves ‘em, because they provide cheap labour, but here’s the thing - in order to be elected, Trump appealed to the people who DO have issues with economic immigrants taking their jobs and driving down wages and all the rest of it, their legal status didn’t and doesn’t matter to those people. They voted for Trump because he was appealing to them. Doesn’t matter whether immigrants are hard working or skilled or any of the rest of it - they’re NOT welcome, because they’re taking American jobs from Americans, and one of Trump’s policies is that he would bring American companies back to America while he was at it. That’s why Ireland shifted uncomfortably because we’re dependent upon American multinationals to provide jobs for OUR highly skilled, hard working Irish people - immigrants aren’t welcome in Ireland either because they’re taking American jobs from Irish people! 🙄

Even by your own standards, it’s not the fact that they’re immigrants or Irish, you have the same view of anyone who IN YOUR OPINION, is an economic “drain on society”. You conflate economic values with your own moral values. From the thread on providing housing to people experiencing economic deprivation -

Ms Mulqueen’s children are aged eight, four, two and three weeks

Ms Mulqueen said she had been homeless for nearly seven years, up to the middle of last year, and desperately needed a home.

TUSLA should be involved. Banging out kids when you can't even put a roof over their head. What is it going to take for personal responsibility to make a comeback?? We really need to end this nanny state nonsense.

The only reason you make indignant declarations about “my ilk”, is because in reality you can’t do shìt to anyone who is your equal in socioeconomic status. I have no doubt you would if you could, but you can’t, precisely because of the same values and principles which you claim to hold so dear that must be protected at all costs from people who threaten YOUR culture… cos it sure as hell ain’t the way I was raised, nor do I share your values, traditions, customs or beliefs.

• Advertisement

You are still a member. Doesn't matter that you don't practise, you are one of their number and it is impossible to leave.

How many non practising Muslims are killed every year for not practising their religion?

Advertisement