Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,157 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Firstly thanks to all the excellent posters on this helpfully and informative thread and forum in general.

My own quote that I went with and due to be installed next month is:

17 X 340 Watt panels.

6kw Solis hybrid inverter 5g.

Eddi + hub. (Hot water diverter)

2 X 5kw Puredrive batteries

Total 13.5K

Minus grant 3k

Cost to me 10.5k

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

That's from all the information here I won't take credit for it. Install is scheduled for early February.

Average usage here is around 12kw so decided to add the extra 5kw battery I know after 6 months I would regret if I didn't. Also again based on helpful information here went with the 6kw inverter which added no cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Where was that quote from? Looks good

😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 MuttonDagger

10kw battery very nice,

Anybody here running a bigger battery set up ?

Whats the physical size & weight of them ?

For my own research

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Puredrive have a decent website with dimensional drawing of their battery packs, they are modular so can go from 5 to 10 kWh in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Ha long bay your DMs seem closed

😎

10.5kw for me about 120kg. Its about the same hight a width of 4 small suitcases stacked

Eek, some poor sucker on Facebook just been recommended everyone's favourite company as they use the best equipment and we're highly recommended.

Yeah highly recommended by the poor suckers hooked into their pyramid scheme.

• Advertisement

Is he at it again, time to go and play.

Dm me the link please

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

To be fair, the OP has gotten lots of good recommendations, and if he gets quotes from them all, I think he'll do well.

Yeah the OP will be grand, it's just irritating to see that crowd of vultures being recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭michaelheno

Could someone DM list of decent installers looking at getting solar pv and a bit raw on requirements based in Mitchelstown Co. Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

Just received a quote for a 7 panel (Longi 365 W) 2.5 kwp system with Solis inverter but no diverter for 6k pre grant so should work out at €4200 post grant. Also all panels need optimisers apparently to account for shading from neighbour. No battery but not planning one. This is my first quote so any feedback welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

The quote itself is a little on the rich side. I'd say closer to €3500 is about right. We have a formula that we sort of use for quotes.

€1k for every 1Kwp + €1K per 2.5Kwhr Battery Storage + €500 (EDDI) = rough approximation to pay.

but the problem with smaller systems, is that the formula doesn't really match as there are a lot of "fixed costs" from suppliers. Costs roughly the same to get two guys onto your roof to install 6 panels as it does 8 panels, so the formula tends to be "off" on the smaller systems.

Speaking of that, you sure you want 2.5Kwp in panels? Obviously you didn't specify your household usage, but your average household in Ireland uses about 4,000 units a year. For that size house, you'd ideally be looking at 4.0-5.0Kwp in panels. Ideally the larger the better on panels. You see it all the time here, people wishing that they got 2x extra panels on their initial install. It might cost €400 extra for 2x panels at initial install, but it might cost €750-€800 to add 2 panels down the road 6 months after install as you have to get the lads out again.

Battery even a small one (2.5Kwhr) really does improve yur efficiency. I realize that all these additions add to the overall cost, but if you want to maximise the return on the money your spending.....

Is there any news yet on the feed-in-tariff ? cost, guarantee for x years etc ?

I also read that it's 1 house per transformer and first come first serve ? read that on a farmers site, can't remember which one now. #

Is there still a 5.5 Kw limit ? if so do any of ye lads install more than this ?

My goal would be to export as much as I can during the day and buy back at night to charge the car but it would be a bit pointless if getting much less than the night rate of around 7.4 C/Kwh.

• Advertisement

The feed in tariff is pretty much guaranteed to be useless. They'll pay a few cent in the day and will hit you with a huge peak evening rate which will eat it up.

I don't understand this ?

Without decent fit I regard solar PV as next to useless as I could never use all this energy generated.

Au contraire!

I think you'll find that virtually everyone here can and does consume most of what they generate. If you take an average 4Kwp system, you might get 4-5 hrs of good production in a day where that is making 3Kw or above (in summer). Call it 12-15Kw. Put that into a battery and then consume it at midnight.

The reality is that with the exception of 2-3 months in summer where you have too much, most of the time you are struggling to meet your needs.

What does a decent size battery cost ? see I'm cheap and thinking to myself that charging the car will cost me 10 c per Kwh and a major investment will take years to pay back + the other issue is storage space for a battery, if they can be mounted outside then it will surely need some form of heating for winter or suffer reduced capacity when cold.

The other issue is how much power the battery can deliver ?

The grid is a great solution to excess energy if only the powers that be were a little more forward thinking.

Adding an off the shelf 2.4kWh battery will cost you in the region of €900 although there are a few selling second hand ones on here for around the €700 mark (including @garo I think at the minute).

Or if you're feeling ambitious you could add 10kWh in a DIY setup for around €1.5k.

Keeping all this inverter and batteries in a suitable location would be difficult, 2.4 Kwh battery is a bit small and I bet it would have a poor C rate delivering little power.

I estimate 10 Kwh should be the minimum, could charge it up on night rate in the darker months.

If I remember correctly my pylontech could discharge at 1.2kW each. I had 2 of them so 2.4kW total.

My 20kWh pack charges and discharges at about 3.5kW max I think.

All good questions.

With no battery, you could use your car indeed to soak up your excess. Bear in mind a couple of things which you may not have thought about.

1. Is your car there in the driveway everyday when it's sunny outside? In this new working from home world a lot of us are now at home, so the car maybe there, but if you return to going back to the office.....if the car is sitting outside your office building in the parking lot, it's obviously not going to be able to charge at home at the same time.
    2. If your car -is- at home, you get roughly 5Km range for every 1Kwhr in electricity. On a typical day in the summer you might have 10-20Kwhr excess, will you have driven 50-100Km that evening/morning before the next day to "create space" in the EV's battery to soak up the excess the next day? If the car battery is full where is that excess going to go?

Typically the general advice is people with an EV should get a small (2.5Kwhr) or medium battery (5.0kwhr) and not larger as your car is in fact your "big store". Having a battery reduces your overall payback time as you get to use that electricity you generate (usually) at day rate prices.....

Batteries run for (roughly) €1K per 2.5Kwh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

@bullit_dodger Over the XMAS my b(r)other-in-law who is NOT into solar was telling me about EV tech - and how he could use an EV (he also does not own one yet) to "power the house". I always though it was one-way.

Like your explanation - puty there isnt a "key post" button!

• Advertisement

Yeah, the boffins are working on that tech (to power the house from car).

Problem is that as far as I know there's only one car that supports that protocol at the moment, Nissan Leaf as i recall (I could be wrong there) BMW don't have support for it nor will, if historical evidence is anything to go by, adopt a standard and will probably come up with their own custom protocol as will Toyota, Merc etc.

I'd say we're 3 years away from standard house-from-car power. Don't have an EV yet, I reckon 1-2 years for me but looking forward to that brave new world. Seems like a good use of 60-70 Kwhr battery sitting in the driveway to balance grid loads etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement