Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

So landlords are not inspecting their properties to ensure it meets health and safety standards?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

In the boom and even pre boom you could afford a house despite being out for pints every weekend, nowadays some people even forego that and still cant afford!

Discretionary spending is not affecting house affordability unless you're pissing away your money on foreign holidays and cars, which most would-be homebuyers are not.

ECB with their fingers in their ears. Even Robert Shortt, RTE economics correspondent was on RTE the other week saying inflation is only in certain sectors like energy and that it's not reached wages etc. I know from experience companies are seeking price increases and employees are going to be seeking wage increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

How did the older generation pull the ladder up , please explain?

Also go and ask your parents how many car upgrades they had while saving and buying their house along with how many holidays a year they had and how many phone upgrades..

The generation today want things a lot quicker than the generation before that. (not a bad thing, but usually it costs more money to want what you want right now)

Also I take issue with that bland statement about a couple on the median income without any fact or figures. So lets dig into that one. You can afford to buy a house with 2 people on the median wage but you have save your 10% deposit and also not expect live somewhere that is high demand. The math is outlined below with verifiable figures.

Median wage is 38500. Multiply by 2 (couple on median wage) = 77k , then going on the 3.5 times salary (which is very small in comparison to most other countries where you can borrow higher multiples) = 269.500 . Add in your 10% deposit = 296340. So this is the most this couple can afford at the top end of their budget as such. Now average house prices in Ireland in 2021 was 290,998. Meaning your fictional couple would have about 6k left over for solicitor fees, stamp duty and to put some furniture in and guess what repayments currently on bonkers for 4 year fixed repayments are about 1150 a month as well also your couples take home pay amounts to 5200 a month meaning that about 20% of their wage is going on paying their mortgage. To me thats affordable all day long. Also I didnt even add in the 30k FTB grant..Kind of really skews things way more towards the realm of affordability.

Median wage

Average house price Ireland

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/1229/1268970-property-prices/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

and what if they did , do you think they could just ask those sticking bunks in living rooms to vacate ?

• Advertisement

the older have always shat on the young in ireland , the young mostly supported it too ( as most enjoy the twee fantasy that elderly = poverty stricken ) but they seem to be getting a clue of late

i recall in 2009 , dopey young students marching arm in arm with wealthy pensioners , indignant that they were being asked to pay to go see the Doctor

Well considering breaking health and safety regulations could lead them to going prison for manslaughter, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I was going to reply with a warning not to talk about self restraint and denial as it wouldn't go down well, which is what happened when I tried it. But no need, the predictable rections beat me to it. Boomers got'a keep quiet.

be serious

1. regardless of whether tenants unilaterally decide to convert say a living room to a bedroom , the landlord has no power to remove them any quicker
    2. no one is going to be dumb enough to admit they knew their rogue tenants decided to remove the couch and sleep a bunch of their mates in front of the fireplace

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Exactly, taxpayers money is used to drive up house prices and rents using all those schemes you mentioned.

So the significant cohort of working poor pay higher and higher rents.

In truth it benefits nobody except the large landlords but there is a perception that these policies increase my house value so that's OK

The first rule of the state must be House prices must never fall, everything else is secondary regardless of the consequences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Post 2009 there was a surplus of housing and even if the government wanted to build social housing the EU and IMF wouldn’t have approved it.

Once again how is this the older generation pulling the ladder up, if the younger generation are or were to naive to see this is that not their own fault. You also have to look at the demographic that vote this goes up as the age rises, we have all heard of the the grey vote.. So once again I don't see it as the older generation pulling the ladder up I see it as the younger generation knocking the ladder over before they climb up it.

Quite surprising.

Property prices in Galway have bucked the national trend by falling during the quarter, according to the latest MyHome.ie Property Report.

The report for Q4 2021, in association with Davy, shows that the median asking price for a property in the county fell slightly by €25,000 over the quarter to €259,975. However, this still means prices have increased by €9,975 compared with this time last year.

25k decrease in median asking price, that's almost 9% drop over the quarter. Wonder why.

Meanwhile, the asking price for a four-bed semi-detached house in Galway stayed steady over the quarter at €285,000. This represents a year-on-year decrease of €3,000 in the segment.

4 bed semi asking pric, which is probably the most popular and in demand property type has stayed steady over the year. Again, surprising.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

This more applies to @Bass Reeves post bus I started by quoting your post Villa05.

There actually was an episode with 2 people who were on decent money and spent very little. I think they lived at home paying little if any rent. They rarely went out, no money on takeaway coffees and avocado toast. If they did do something with friends, they usually did something that was free or cheap. They were pumping their money in to savings for a mortgage and paying off her student debt. Eoin's advice to them was he actually wanted them to start spending their money and treating themselves a bit. They did manage to buy a place in the end but if I remember correctly, they still struggled to find somewhere within budget even with a large deposit. I think they got out bid on a few places. This was a few years ago too so things would probably be way worse now. So, there you have it. You can scrimp and save as much as you can and still struggle to buy a place.

The problem is even if people can save up enough for a deposit, the deposit plus mortgage amount just isn't enough for a decent place.

Also, on the whole young people wasting their money. I'd say the show is 50/50 people in their 40s or 50s who need help with their finances or people who already have a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Pretty much the story of Irish housing. Our citizens are economically nullified in the struggle to buy or rent a home.

Listen to the last 10 minutes of the stand podcast with Paul Somerville. He pretty much sums it up very well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,756 ✭✭✭straight

I don't have much sympathy for people that are expected to save a 10% deposit. It's always been difficult for every generation to get started but this current lot are too used to getting everything they want when they want it.

I think houses are actually quite reasonably priced at the moment. I bought at the height of the last boom and spent years in negative equity and nobody cared. House prices are still not back to 2008 levels.

I now have that house let out to the same family for 5 years with only 1 rent increase and I am considered a greedy big bad landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

this current lot are too used to getting everything they want when they want it.

any evidence for this? or are you just going to bleat on about how they cant save due to buying a few takeaway coffees and a night out down the pub?

young people in '22 being told by those who purchased at the height of the boom when 100% mortgages were a thing, that they have no patience is laughable.

Plenty evidence if you open your eyes. My parents built in the 70's. It was some upgrade to a actually have a toilet in the house. People have totally lost the run of themselves. Leaving cert holidays, holidays on general, phones, fast fashion, fast food, fast cars with big car loans, PCP's, restaurants, I could go on. The standard of living is completely unprecedented. And God forbid you point it out to these precious creatures. They say that the likes of my parents house cost 6k. But my mother was earning 3 pounds per week and had to give up her job when she got married. People now don't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

A lot of my family built in the early 00s, 100% mortgages, holiday homes , piss ups etc. Not much evidence of patience there if you ask me.

• Advertisement

A blip. They were crazy times that my generation got burnt by when we were buying at hugely inflated prices. There is much better value at the moment. All those mortgages and holiday homes had to be paid for. Plenty people got brought back down to earth in the 08 crash. Living standards are way higher now with all the subscription TV services and everything on demand, etc.

and look how that ended up? At least the central bank and the constraints put on banks with lending rules will not allow the same sh1tshow happen again. Prices were going up and basically ignored the supply vs demand rule everyone wanted a couple of properties and the supply was through the roof people building ghost estate after ghost estate. So now its 2022 and the small landlords have been leaving the market in their droves as it is not worth staying in the market, taxes and the rules make it an absolute nightmare to be a landlord. Which means renters are going to be at the mercy or vultures funds in the not to distant future, these boyos wont care if you cant afford it they will be able to leave vast swaths of properties idle in order to protect the price and eventually someone will come in and pay it.

Also what needs to be taken into consideration while debating the generational debate is if you asked a 20 year old back in say in the 1980/1990s what would you deem as a necessity to live these days. Most would of said shelter and food and if they have a vice like drink/smokes...Roll on 2022 you would have all of these on the list but you would also hear broadband, a phone and one foreign holiday a year would be on the list. Not saying this is wrong but people need to understand the worlds attitude has shifted for what people see as being the essentials and peoples standards of living has gone right up around the world and the cost of these essentials and standard of living are a lot higher. Yet when this is pointed out to the current generation its scoffed at. This all feeds into people saving and getting on the ladder if they want to get on the ladder. I don't blame them for doing it by the way when I was in my 20s I would of loved to have been free from a mortgage as it gives you a certain amount of freedom to buy or do what you want. A lot of our social constructs also mirrors this live fast and pay later attitude you only have to look at the disposable relationship online websites for an example of how vastly differently the younger generation process and value things then their parents did.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

Spending €20 a week on coffees certainly is extravagant but is not representative of normal buyers. Some basic stats knowledge would help a lot of the misunderstandings by some of the homeowners in this thread. There’s a lot of bitter old men somehow angry at young people for being priced out of the housing market.

Holidays, car loans, fast fashion* all irrelevant.

*fast fashion means Penny’s btw

its hard to believe some of these posts are for real to be honest.

• Administrators Posts: 53,756 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You're saying your parents were able to build a house and run it on a single income? 😮

These lazy, generalising posts are just that. Lazy.

Well just to counter that there is a lot of crap going on about how home owners pulled a supposedly metaphoric ladder up on those trying to get on now when they had no hand, act or part in the current housing situation Ireland finds itself in. Some just want the price lowered and expect that anyone selling to sell at a price lower then what they could get and are deemed greedy if they dare make a profit on selling a house which also completely ignores that if someone sells a house they also have to buy at the same price point and are not really on the make. There is also a lot of people damning parents who dare help their kids get a deposit together like its a bad thing, so there seems to be just as many bitter young men out there as well. Look people have put forward different ways of sorting out the current housing issues and unfortunately the only real way is to build to a very large scale for a long period of time and take the current supply issue out of the price equation.

• Administrators Posts: 53,756 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's basically that stupid avocado toast argument.

The world is totally different now. Previous generations could buy houses in cities in decent areas on single, modest incomes. That is essentially impossible these days.

The overall standard of living is higher today in terms of the ability to spend money on nice things given there are a lot more nice things available, but property prices have soared over the past number of decades and wages have not and those are the facts.

Buying property is very difficult, it wouldn't matter if the people on modest incomes never left the house and ate koka noodles for every meal, there is nowhere for them in the market. Those waffling on about entitlement or "this generation" just can't get their head round it because they didn't experience the same issues.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I can't remember exactly where but somewhere in Dublin.

so basically the capital where probably the majority want to live? People have to understand if you want to live in a major city there is a premium to be paid this is how it is throughout the globe unfortunately

Just on the whole avocado toast and housing affordability issue I refer to my previous post. About what is affordable with regards to property in Ireland today

• Advertisement

2 people, both in good jobs with practically no living expenses saving more or less every penny they have meaning they have a huge deposit and they struggle to buy in Dublin.

Advertisement