Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Djokovic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No it's not even in the slightest. The hospitals are clogged with Covid cases which a disproportionate amount of are not vaccinated which is leading to elective surgery and procedures being cancelled.

Being vaccinated massively reduces the chance of ending up in ICU

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

He could have been vaccinated and still passed on covid to the unvaccinated. You don't seem to be putting much thought into the absurdity of the whole debate. People say the unvaccinated are selfish because they are putting other people's lives at risk. Well if you are vaccinated you should have nothing to fear from an unvaccinated person, no? But if unvaccinated people are at risk from an unvaccinated person then are they not also at risk from a vaccinated person? You can be on your 4th booster jab and still come down hard with this sh1t and spread it around. Kind of begs the question "what's the point of a vaccine if you continue to get sick?" Of course people will tie themselves in knots trying to justify it without questioning the stupidity of the whole thing. So you are completely vaccinated and sick as a dog and you can go into a bar or restaurant. Conversely you can be unvaccinated, healthy but can't go in. I've asked this question before. So what's really is the point of vaccine checks to go to a pub if vaccinated people can be completely contagious? It makes zero sense. And when you bring up this complete absurdity people shoot back with the"taking up a hospital bed" bullcrap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Djokovic is a class A tool. Incredible tennis player but he should not be dealt with any differently just because of who he is from any normal joe soap. He lied on his forms so should be refused entry for that as would happen to anyone else.

One thing that is intriguing me is if he has openly lied on the forms as has now come out what is to say that he has not been lying all along even now with regards to being positive back in December. Could he be doubling down knowing that if he has "recovered" there is a chance of being allowed in unvaxxed as he will have a level of immunity but if he did not have covid there was 0 chance of a medical exemption hence when he attended the events and the interview he did so as he was not positive at all and was not breaking any rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

there seems to be slight wind down / pull back in all countries in the last few days, i have a feeling the aussies will let him play and then they will free up their citizens as they have been too strict and they are so far gone its hard to turn back. This episode may be the catalyst for them not to lose face and wind down some of the draconian measures they had to endure. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. if this happens he will in affect have helped the aussies of course they wont see it that way .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ok don't expect soccer style riots, but I do think it can get nasty, and that is not something one expects at a tennis tournament.

All it takes is for some Croats to turn up to stir the shyte.

Also expect boos and jeers from Aussies p**sed off that Novak is allowed enter the country never mind play.

Then if the Djokovic's fans boys and girls start up the Aussies won't be long letting their feeling be known.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Do you know why organisations such as the MHRA/HPRA/EMA were set up? it was in the after math of the thalidomide scandal. It was to make sure medication was safe for people. That appropriate research was completed so that any medicines for humans were safe and effective. The Pfizer vaccine is safe and effective medication. We are talking facts here, not emotions.

Also, you may not know this but thalodomide/ lenalidomide has a place in modern medicine and is still used widely.

"Whats the point of the vaccine if you continue to get sick"

Are you for fooking real ?

It can stop you getting really really sick requiring the need for hospitalisation or intensive care, because your immune system and body has built up some immunity to it.

And get this little fooking nugget, it can ultimately stop you dying.

And you are not supposed to go anywhere if you are sick as a dog and have had a positive covid test.

You must think you are the world's No.1 tennis player or something. 🙄

I read story about a guy from England, who was extremely fit due to mountain climbing and doing triathlons, etc.

He refused vaccine and pedaled all types of conspiracy lunacy to family and friends.

He ended up in ICU and dying.

Personally I think it was a waste of fooking resources.

If you are so entrenched that you don't mind flying in the face of scientific evidence and putting others at risk, then fook you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes I saw that too. One fit 43-year old unvax'd mountain climber died of covid.

This outlier doesn't tell us much about whether fit young healthy people are at great risk or not (they aren't).

Correct and thank you . If a person chooses not to vaccinate than they can die that is their choice and we all have to die sometime so whats the issue? let the un vaxed take the risk the triple, & soon quadruple vaxxed are safe so let us all live our lives. This extension of life well into the 100's is rubbish who can do anything when they are 100 years old bar blow a candle out on the news and then keel over from the strain. We are living too long we should die naturally and make way for the youth . I personally would be quite happy to go in my 70's as the world is mad and bad and peoples attitudes are selfish and angry and aggressive. At 70 ill be done being here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,469 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I don't know why the Aussies are dragging this out. They are known for their strict border control. He has now admitted to making the false declaration re his travel movements prior to entering Australia so he should be out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Utter dreck. The fact he could have been vaccinated and still gotten covid is irrelevant. The issue is that he knew he was infected and still showed up anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭Shelga

Surely this goes beyond the vaccine issue now! He lied on his entry forms- surely this is a completely black and white case now!

Unless people who think this is all a fuss about nothing think people who lie on their entry forms to Ireland should be just waved on through.

So what you and others are saying is that Djokovich is a selfish bastard because he put other people's lives at risk, not because he could have passed on the covid virus to them but because he could get sick and take up a hospital bed and require treatment and take away resources from other people or cause the cancellation of their needed procedures, yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Honestly, some people could do with getting a good dose of it and ending up in ICU, it would soon soften their cough. The continued stupidity, selfishness and lack of knowledge around vaccines two years into this is depressing.

I didn't mention Djokovic or call anyone a bstrd.

I just pointed out how the unvaccinated are a danger to the vaccinated in other ways than just giving them Covid.

As for what others are saying I could not give a FK and will let them speak for themselves as I am not others

It would probably do the opposite of soften their cough 😉

So on one hand you are saying that you care about people and want them to get vaccinated for their own good and then on the other hand you want them vaccinated so they don't get sick and interrupt care that you think you are more entitled to?

• Advertisement

I like how you are not even pretending to talk about the guy who cheated border patrol at this stage.

Just a headlong drive to make this a CT thread now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Out of interest do you think the unvaccinated are entitled to covid related hospital care as much as the vaccinated? They legally are. Do you think morally they are?

Smokers, drinkers, obese people, drug users, cyclists, motorcyclists, sportspeople, the homeless, etc are also a risk to the unvaccinated as they could wind up in the ICU causing you to have to delay your fcuking ingrown toenail operation.

You're the one who brought up how the unvaccinated are a threat to the vaccinated and when I questioned this you say I'm engaging in CY's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭jj880

"My agent sincerely apologises for ticking the wrong box on my declaration form!" 🤣🤣🤣

Twas a slip of the pen your honour!! Ffs give over will ye.

Also today he changed the date he knew he was positive from 16th to 17th Dec as children were involved when he was out and about on the 16th.

Whole thing is farcical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

no its not - its fact.. 50% of those with covid in hospital here are from the less than 6% of the population.. ie: 200,000 non vaccinated.... which has led to the HSE being overburdened.. so lots of patients have had their treatments/procedures cancelled.. you need to be able to see the bigger picture.. do the maths!

• Advertisement

Couldn't governments just come out and say "this covid is some bad sh!t. We recommend you get a vaccine" and leave it at that?

And, what, completely ignore the hundreds of highly infectious patients clogging up the hospitals? Just let the virus run rampant through the populace and see what happens? If it is this bad given the level of restrictions in place, how much worse would it be, if there were none?

The rest of your post just smacks of selfishness. "It's not MY fault that I won't get vaccinated and you can't have your operation, it's the Gubbermint's fault for trying to protect our health service". The sheer egotism at play here is astonishing. You're asking them to ignore the greatest health crisis the world has seen in 100 years, to just carry on regardless.

Smokers, drinkers etc. weren't clogging up the hospitals and ICU wards. All of their ailments/conditions aren't contagious, so don't require the same levels of shutdown that Covid does. All of their ailments don't transfer to their nurses, meaning the hospital resources are stretched even further. Your ingrown toenail operation won't be cancelled if a load of sportspeople show up to the hospital, however if a load of unvaxed folks do, then the likelihood of these minor operations (along with plenty of major ones, being postponed increases greatly, yes.

You knew all this already, though. You're floundering because you've decided to pin your colours to a rich, selfish nutjob and whaddya know? Turns out he really is a rich, selfish nutjob and you look like a fool for supporting him and his crusade to circumvent the rules and regulations in place to protect everyone. What a coincidence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭jj880

😂😂😂 This loon trying to associate herself with Djokovic. He'll be delighted with that I'm sure.

Can I answer that question

Hospitals first came about in the early middle ages when Christianity became ascendant, as healing the sick was a command.

They were based on charity and mercy and are still named after Christian saints

They weren't/aren't a tool of social conformity or a reward for good behaviour.

What's moral is treating everyone. No one has ceded their right to treatment "morally" because they didn't agree to one medical procedure previously.

We don't divide people up into categories when it comes to human life.

The vac vs. unvac is mainly a political struggle playing out in law and media.

• Advertisement

Would you reckon you are better off getting vaccinated than not ?

I damn well know that.

Why not look up the history of Croatia and Serbia ?

Then look up how in 2007 Croats and Serbs attacked each other at the Australian Open.

And yes it was what some would call a riot, unless you think attacking each other with flag poles was some kind of friendly neighbourly Balkan ritual.

The look up how in 2009 Bosnians and Serbs went at each other at the Australian Open.

They engaged in chair throwing contest. Must be another Balkan tradition.

I never said fit people are more susceptible or at greater risk.

My point was that someone reasonably young and healthy, who happened to be a complete denier, caught covid and died.

Oh and valuable resources were wasted on them, when someone who did their best to behave probably went without.

If you are asking who is morally more entitled to hospital treatment then I would question your moral compass. The irony of people deriding Djokovic abd then maintaining that they themselves are more entitled to hospital treatment than others.

@jmayo Either somebody did or did not 'go without'. Not all standard hospital treatment is a zero-sum triage situation.

No resources were 'wasted' on treating a sick person.

Didn't you say upthread you hoped unvax'd people would be 'cleansed from the gene pool'? So I'm hardly going to take anything you say seriously. You are an emotional ranter, not a serious commentator.

Finally, 43 years isn't that young it's middle-aged and it was the best the media could come up with for their 'fit young person' angle.

Do be do be do

Post edited by bertiebomber on

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

It's pretty obvious by now that the positive test was faked (with official help), but not covered up properly.

Admitting going out while positive as an "error of judgment" was a move to use the lesser of two evils and an attempt to move along.

A false Travel Declaration cannot be overlooked though - he is responsible. H

Hospitals in Europe were more like we call a hospice now and it was the Muslims during the crusades who gave us the idea of hospitals as treatment centers where you could leave cured.

That smokers and drinkers and drugs users aren't contagious is not the point. People are trying to maintain that the unvaccinated are selfish because they took a course of action that led them to require medical attention. Smoker, drinkers, obese people fall into the same category. Effectively you are saying the unvaccinated are to blame for needing hospital treatment (some are trying to saying they shouldn't get treatment). Smokers are also to blame if they require treatment for respiratory ailments, drinkers likewise for organ problems, etc. Then you try and shift the bloody goalposts are bang on about numbers.

The bottom line is that you don't like if people don't go with the flow like you do because it reminds you that you just might have less independence of thought than others and that pisses you the fcuk off. So you attack them with whatever flimsy argument you can muster. You don't care about the hospital numbers. You are just furious that you march in lockstep and others don't. I coughed in the street and some old fool acted up about me not coughing into my elbow as if he had a clue what the hell he was talking about. This brainwashed asshole just did what he was told no matter how inane and pointless it was and when he saw others not blindly following the same stupid steps that he so slavishly adhered to he came the heavy. I told the clown to go fcuk himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Hyperbolic nonsense...I have no idea where people get this bizarre crap from...then you posted a link to that blog...it explains a lot.

Back on topic.

Djokovic isn't vaccinated grand his choice.

He luckily (for his entry to Australia) got covid. He tested positive....but then didn't self isolate, not a great look imo but hey. Up to Serbia to deal with that.

He/his agent lied on an entry form to Australia about his travel before coming into the country.

Those are the facts. By the Australians own rules he should be turfed out. But his lawyers will likely attempt to bury any attempt to do that.

Your bizarre rant isn't relevant at all the above are the facts as he has admitted himself.

People healed the sick to the best of their ability as that is what they were enjoined to do by Christ's message. While Muslims may have had better treatments I don't doubt it. David Bentley Hart historian wrote about this, and life expectancy increased in early Europe so those early Christians must have had some effectiveness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

That's hilarious. A blog calling itself "Unreported Truths" basing an article on a press release from the WHO that has been covered in all media. "Unreported" indeed!

And as for "truth", lets see...

Based entirety on the single quote "a vaccination strategy based on repeated booster doses of the original vaccine composition is unlikely to be appropriate or sustainable.", you claim that the WHO is saying that vaccines don't work. Cased closed! We can now 100% believe the organisation that have been lying to us all along.

But hang on... what's that little qualifier in the quote? "of the original vaccine composition"? Let me read a little more of the actual press release, which the blog (or you) doesn't bother linking to (wonder why - it's almost as if you/they don't actually want us to know what the WHO really said).

Oh, it's actually making the very logical point that vaccines need to be tweaked and reformulated for new variants in order to remain effective. Rather like the very successful flu vaccination effort that has been going on globally for years. Wow, that's quite a different story to your take on things isn't it?

You might want to up your critical appraisal skills there, B. They've been found lacking.

• Advertisement

As for fit young people who have caught covid and being pretty unwell what about Bayern Munich's unvaccinated 26 year old star midfielder Joshua Kimmich who had been out of football since November and only went back to traininig a week ago due to severe problems ?

Juve's 26 year old Paulo Dybala from Argentina also stated he had bad experience with covid and was out from mid March until May in 2020.

He still claimed he was not right in early June.

Resources are not infinite, ICU beds are not infinite.

Resources are often wasted when they have to be applied to someone who could have prevented the need in the first place.

And no I am not talking about motorbike accident victims or some such.

Resources are wasted, or were pre pandemic every fooking weekend in Irish hospitals treating drunks who not alone tied up staff, but worse still often made A&Es warzones.

A famous example of the greatest waste of hospital resources was George Best.

Someone else compatible might have done with that liver, but no it was given to old George who drank himself to death.

BTW also see my earlier post re riots at Australian Open.

Now I have better things to do than argue with such a serious commentator as yourself. 😏

Yes why do posters constantly say that the unvax 'take up beds' then when you mention other people who take up beds then they pivot to something about contagion.

The issue of severe disease and spread are confused together, then de-linked from each other when convenient. Then re-linked when challenged etc., etc.

Omicron spreads to everyone since it is so transmissible.

Lots of people 'take up' hospital beds. We could try eliminate obesity and cholesterol + inflammation with a countrywide campaign but won't cause it's too much hassle.

No, sorry, you don't seem to understand what the point being made is.

People are clogging up hospitals to the point where other, non-life threatening procedures are being cancelled. Why are they being cancelled? Because the hospitals are full of people with an infectious disease so they can't risk mixing covid patients with non-covid patients.

People are trying to maintain that the unvaccinated are selfish because they took a course of action that led them to require medical attention. Smoker, drinkers, obese people fall into the same category.

People are trying to maintain that the unvaccinated are selfish because they took a course of action that led them to require medical attention, to the point where all other medical procedures have to be cancelled due to the risk posed by covid, which is one of the most transmissible disease we've encountered in the history of this country. Smoker, drinkers, obese people DO NOT fall into the same category. If they did, they'd have been clogging up the hospitals pre-Covid, which they weren't, ergo they don't. Simple enough for you?

The bottom line is that you don't like if people don't go with the flow like you do because......

Pure, undulterated fantsy. What colour is the sky in the world in which you live where you see a couple of points on an internet message board and think "yeah, I've got you pegged pal, you hate the non-conformists cos you're too much of a bootlicker and can't stand us free spirits". Walter Mitty, is that you?

I coughed in the street and some old fool acted up about me not coughing into my elbow as if he had a clue what the hell he was talking about. This brainwashed asshole just did what he was told no matter how inane and pointless it was and when he saw others not blindly following the same stupid steps that he so slavishly adhered to he came the heavy. I told the clown to go fcuk himself.

Wow, you coughed beside an old man, during a pandemic, potentially causing him a life-threatening illness, because you were too selfish to keep your germs to yourself, and your reaction to him raising this issue was to tell him to gofcuk himself? Check out the balls on this guy, what's your next move? Gonna spit in a kids face when they wear a mask in front of you? Big man like ya.

'Now I have better things to do than argue with such a serious commentator as yourself. 😏'

Haha. Made me chuckle fair play.

I think what all this boils down to is not vaccinated people angry because it has shown up their lack of independent thought.

What it really is is the seething anger of the non vaccinated and conspiracy theorists who when finally given their long awaited chance to energize the "silent majority" failed miserably. The shock and anger that there in fact is no silent majority. This unhinged anger can be seen all over Boards any time something like this comes up.

In fairness to most people who said Djokovic done nothing wrong have since said they were wrong or just silently stopped backing him now that he has admitted fault. Some though don't care about facts and continue this holy war of theirs

What's moral is treating everyone. No one has ceded their right to treatment "morally" because they didn't agree to one medical procedure previously. We don't divide people up into categories when it comes to human life.

We do.

Liver transplant candidates get bumped if they are found to be drinking. People have, rightly or wrongly, been refused lung transplants because they continued to smoke. Fat people cannot undergo certain types of surgery depending upon their weight loss etc. though this is mostly to ensure that they can go under anaesthethic, usually. In certain countries, you cannot get a donor organ if you yourself aren't a donor yourself (or donors get preferential treatment ahead of you)....etc.

People cede their rights to medical treatment for moral reasons all the time.

In this thread the explosions of anger and profanity have been all on the pro-vax side.

While it's true some unvac conspiracy theorists can be angry, anti-social people, I'm not seeing a lot of restraint on boards from the average vaccinated poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Two very important figures that the Covid statistics team refuse to give us

1. In hospital/ICU because of covid or in hospital/ICU and just so happen to be covid positive
    2. How many in ICU are vaccinated and how many are unvaccinated

Until they furnish us with these two very simple statistics your shaming tactics (i.e antivaxxers cancelling procedures) will remain useless.

Assuming Boards is a decent barometer of Irish society then 95% of Boardsies are vaccinated so your average poster/vaccinated person doesn't give a sht about threads like this.

The unvaccinated remind me of that old vegan joke.

How do you know someone is unvaccinated ?

They tell you

• Advertisement

That is in zero-sum cases though where there are more eligible people. If there were one liver available and one 'undeserving' drunk we would give it to him, not withhold it to 'teach him a lesson'.

Finally, not undergoing a specific medical procedure is itself an informed health decision - not a moral failing.

Djokovic has done nothing wrong by refusing to get vaccinated, esp since he already had covid. He is attempting to dodge potential side effects. Now that he's had covid twice he basically has no reason to get vaccinated except social pressure and cumbersome rules.

Advertisement