Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

The poster agreed with my take on the BA and went further. I agreed back.

No. I accept what the IRA did. You deny what the BA did as nothing more than 'a few crossing the line' and you've no interest in civilian deaths unless caused by the IRA. Thats beyond whataboutery, its hate.

Its a SF thread were you want to discuss a conflict currently at peace and only one side. You can't credibly discuss a conflict were you give the state sponsored aggressors a free pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mikethecop

lol

sf thread as you just said but you ignore the sf criminality and try a weak deflection as per party protocols

I was talking to another poster about the BA's role in the troubles and t'was yourself came in with the deflection. I just played along.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

And he was brazen enough to claim that you agreed with him (I don't think he is stupid enough to think that you did).

The nonsense goes on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Harryd225

Standard procedure here from the usual suspects with the usual deflections.

• Advertisement

He didn't clarify. I was talking about the BA and he came in talking about paedos and rapists. Naturally I thought of the state, ceann comhairle and church.

Well, you are once again on the wrong thread, aren't you?

When someone on the Sinn Fein thread talks about paedos and rapists, the natural response is to think of Liam Adams and all the others that SF and the PIRA helped avoid justice as Gerry Adams admits on his own blog.

The unnatural response is to whatabout, deflect and divert, as you did.

Absolutely, what people will do to avoid talking about Sinn Fein on the Sinn Fein thread is stunning.

How do you know what another person was thinking?

You seem more interested in misinterpreting posts than addressing the ones responding to you.

TBF, anyone who thinks the BA assisting terrorists in shooting and blowing people up, internment, torture, shooting civilians dead. Fighting to deny accountability... is just a 'few individuals stepping over the line', Shouldn't be taken seriously.

Makes for good deflection though.

Indeed. Says the man brings up the Stasi, Gadaffi etc to defend the BA actions in a conflict he's obsessed with....in a SF thread.

we ll lets deflect you back on thread then seeing as this is a sf thread ,

do you have anything to say about the continued and historical activity of sf ira of protecting and facilitating criminals of many kinds ?

• Advertisement

I can understand it. Its very complex. When a conflict ends it might be easy to take incidences and compare them out of context, but its not always accurate.

Do you understand what the BA and Unionists did that brought on the IRA or do you excuse it and give them a pass for political point scoring purposes? Seems the electorate are more concerned about SF as regards housing and health and such.

waffle brucie

you have no answer or are afraid to answer as expected .

fact is sf has and still is sheltering horrific criminals of all kinds and you are supporting.

not dealing with it and deflecting is how you choose to deal

You didn't get the answer you wanted.

I understand why they did and do. The conflict is not resolved. If the nazis still controlled France would you expect the resistance to leave their members to nazi justice?

They felt violence was needed and it was a conflict.

What am I not answering exactly?

you didnt give any answer at all till now bruice

You accept then that a political party who aspires to government continues to shelter those members who robbed murdered raped and molested not to mention smuggling and these recent links to gangland crime

I think you ll find with that kind of admission wont wash when it comes to it , this isnt history bruice , its still happening

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I was lucky enough to get into the Liberty Hall one to see what the hype was about - unaffiliated, non-registered to any party, just showed up early and got in ahead of the massive queue that formed.

It was about as far from a Trump rally as you could imagine. If you've ever been to a public meeting of a protest movement, it was more like that, combined with a mini Ard Fheis kind of atmosphere - a panel of SF members (to my memory Mary Lou, Michelle O'Neill, Pearse Doherty, Eoin O'Brion, and Louise O'Reilly) each made a speech thanking those in attendance for their votes and talking about different issues they'd like to address in government, giving an update on the attempt to form an alternative government and how the numbers were for that, and then basically opening the floor up to a Q&A session wherein people could both ask questions and make suggestions. They then sort of flipped the Q&A around and asked people what their main priorities were, if they had comments, etc.

It was like a town hall meeting. Honestly, the only reason the establishment was so bewildered and frightened by it is that so, so many of them never bother to actually talk to the public. I've said this before, but Enda Kenny, much as I disliked him as Taoiseach, must be credited for openly admitting to this after the 2016 election - he acknowledged that for reasons he hadn't yet figured out, FG had missed the public's mood and been entirely blindsided by the electoral drubbing they received. This is exactly why - establishment politicians never seem to interact with the public except from raised podiums and VIP areas, opposition politicians come out and walk among the voters and talk directly to them. Those in the establishment only do this at election time, at which point it's far, far, far too late - I can tell you from having lived in Dun Laoghaire my entire life that SF holds public meetings on an extremely regular basis and everyone, from party members to die hard opponents, is welcome to show up and contribute.

Obviously it's been a while because of the pandemic, but when I was younger such meetings were often held in what was then the Kingston Hotel in Dun Laoghaire and has been the Haddington Hotel for several years. They've also had meetings in the Royal Marine, Sallynoggin Inn and The Graduate, which are all bars and hotels within walking distance from where I live - I'm sure they've had many others further afield which I haven't personally come across, as well.

Apparently FF used to hold meetings like this in a past life, but it's been a loooong time. FG, on the other hand, I've never heard of holding an entirely public meeting in a public place where anyone can just walk in off the street and talk with senior party members about policy in the way people could at this SF meeting.

Maybe if other parties tried this approach, they'd actually know how voters are feeling about this issue or that issue, rather than relying on numbers and spreadsheets to make assumptions about how people should be feeling?

No one can fix problems in a way that pleases everyone. What we're saying is, they've been fixed entirely in a way which pleases one crowd at the expense of royally f*cking another, and maybe it's only fair that everyone gets a turn at being on both sides of that line. If they can't be fixed in a way that pleases everyone, shouldn't the people who've been pandered to constantly for the last ten years take a turn at being damaged by government policy, and those who've been fisted up to the gallbaldder by it take a turn at being pandered to?

Well you should have been more specific. You don't distinguish between the IRA and SF. You are jumping all over the time line.

SF should not be supporting or defending anyone who committed crimes not related to the troubles/conflict. How's that Mike?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

In fairness this SF/ IRA debate here and elsewhere distracts from SF policies and actual discussion and debate which should actuallyrevolve around that.

From the last election to the present day the only constant has been the 30% to 33% which are standing by SF.

Whatever happened in the 50s 60s 70s 80s or up to the present day is appearing to have no impression on that cohort of people. Exit polls in fact from the last election stated that housing and health were the primary concerns of the electorate.

If the present govt don't address contemporary concerns it won't make any difference how many rebel songs Cullinane sings.

They don't realise most young people see the IRA campaign of the 70s and up to the 90s as completely legitimate, the old timers on boards complaining about it are wasting their time.

In fairness this SF/ IRA debate here and elsewhere distracts from SF policies and actual discussion and debate which should actuallyrevolve around that

Thats the goal.

Trouble is any talk on policies reminds folk of the shitshow of FF/FG.

• Advertisement

I'm actually one of those old-timers also and I remember the Good Friday Agreement, an overwhelming vote in favour and a line been drawn in the sand. Nasty things happened on all sides north and south and across GB.

But I like to think things have changed.

SF are part of that change now.

Paul Quinn was not part of any conflict, neither was Garda McCabe, neither was Brian Stack, neither was Mairia Cahill, all victims of people who have been and continue to be protected by the SF and PIRA omerta.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

I'm entirely pragmatic - I think we should fix things in a way that works and benefits the most people to the greatest degree. I'm not sure if there's a political umbrella for that. I think our government has been doing that pretty well for the last decade in recovering from the property crash.

I'm curious as to who you think should be 'damaged' in future, and what the outcome of that will be? And who do you think has been 'fisted' since the crash?

Some of the ones patting themselves on the back for the GFA are the same ones ignoring or pissing on it because they hope its forgotten about when its inconvenient.

Yes hard-line Unionists and Brexit have damaged it alright.

Sooner rather than later the hardline unionists will be a thing of the past and we will be left with a decent, well minded group of unionists open to the prospect of a United Ireland.

It's already happening, unionism is falling apart, I only seen a video online the other day of a young protestant and his friends in the heart of the Shankill genuinely discussing a United Ireland and it's benefits, they faced minor intimidation but nothing serious.

Times are changing.

No idea how to break up quotes in this God-awful new site so I'm just going to use italics to quote sections if that's alright 😂

I'm entirely pragmatic - I think we should fix things in a way that works and benefits the most people to the greatest degree. I'm not sure if there's a political umbrella for that.

Sounds great to me. Unfortunately though, when there's been a prolonged period in which the scales have been horribly tipped in one direction, you have to tip them back in order to level the playing field.

I think our government has been doing that pretty well for the last decade in recovering from the property crash.

Recovering from the property crash benefitted those who own property, and absolutely f*cked everybody else. This is exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm curious as to who you think should be 'damaged' in future, and what the outcome of that will be?

People who profit from housing in the same way as ticket scalpers profit from concerts. Those who simply trade as assets, but don't build, don't renovate, don't upgrade, etc - they should be run out of the market altogether, they do nothing but add numbers to price tags without contributing literally anything. Their income is entirely passive, which is something I'm astonished so many right wing types around here seem to be in favour of given how they rail against other forms of passive income such as social welfare. In both cases, people are literally getting money for doing nothing

And who do you think has been 'fisted' since the crash?

Those who don't own property. The amount of money people are being asked to hand over in rent every month is unforgivable and unacceptable, it is causing a year-on-year decrease in quality of life for so, so, so many people I know. You wouldn't believe how many friends of mine live less comfortably now on higher salaries than they did earlier in the 2010s on lower salaries, because their rents have so far outstripped their incomes during that time period.

That's what needs to change. In order for that to happen, those who benefit from high rents and high property prices need to be damaged. You can't have one without the other. And I'll admit that there's an element of schadenfreude involved as well from my own point of view - the suffering some of those f*ckers inflicted on others with the absolutely outrageous cost of living inflation they spearheaded during the last decade was unimaginable, and they deserve a taste of their own medicine.

Thanks for taking the time to answer that, and comprehensively.

I don't have time to address your points in the detail that they merit, but one key thing I would point out is that this is not an Irish problem - it's a problem globally in wealthy countries. We have some unique local factors (the aforementioned property crash that killed development and created debt), but the problem of property price inflation is everywhere you look. And it's not even confined to property: just about every type of asset has massively inflated over the last 5 years or so.

I think this is very important context to bear in mind before pinning all the blame on Irish politicians. Voting in PBP or whoever will not change this background.

• Advertisement

Brian Stack, the chief prison officer at Portlaoise Prison, was shot in the neck in 1983 by members of the Provisional IRA and died after 18 months in hospital. He was the only officer in the Irish Prison Service to be killed in connection with the Troubles in Northern Ireland.

If you've any information about the killing of Paul Quinn tell the authorities.

Advertisement