Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gomo, Clear Mobile or 48?

Options
  • 11-01-2022 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

I’m buying an unlocked phone and switching to one of these networks. They all offer similar plans for a similar price. Which one should I go for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Clear mobile speed is capped at 5mbps.

Just for that I would avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Orlak2410

And 48 have a 100 gb monthly data limit whereas gomo is unlimited

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭lordsheepface

As far as i know Gomo is the only one doing 5G at the moment. 48 is 4G and Clear is 4G limited to 10Mb I believe.

Gomo uses Eir, 48 uses 3 and Clear uses VF.

What network are you on now? How is the coverage?

Is there anything in particular you want? 5G? Wifi calling (I believe only Gomo)?

Gomo is cheapest but there's not a lot in it price wise.

48 avoids bills.

I’m with 3 at the moment and the coverage in my area is brutal that’s why I’d rather avoid 48. I think I’d prefer eir over Vodafone as it’s an Irish company and perhaps has a reputation to uphold. I believe gomo is a few euro dearer than clear mobile but I could be wrong. My main priority is fast reliable internet. Yes that is a positive to 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Deleted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭lordsheepface

Eir have had well reported on customer service issues in the media, but then I've had multiple problems with VF myself. The beauty of the 30 day SIM only is that you can swap if it doesn't suit.

I'd suggest you signup for Gomo and see how you go so. You can always swap if it doesn't suit.

I’ve already ordered my sim and paid the €15. When I log into my mygomo it says that the €15 I paid was an account creation fee and my balance reads zero. I don’t know whether it covers the first month or if I'll be charged another €15 when I activate my sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Dublinandy3

I'm with clear mobile, it's fine for every day use but their CS is bad and when something goes wrong, it goes wrong. I couldn't recommend them but haven't used the other two so can't compare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

I've had gomo since they started and had no issues. Roaming last year in Germany was smooth and without any issues. 48 was fine in Ireland but terrible for roaming with dismal speeds making it impossible to use in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

I dont believe it is.

Plenty caught like that by them at the start posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

If it hasn't changed since the beginning when I joined then the activation fee also covers whatever days are remaining in the current calent month so it's best to sign up at the start of a month to get the full benefit rather than a few days before the end of the month.

As far as I know gomo and clear mobile are unlimited it says it on their websites

I was chatting to a customer service rep on their website. I joined in early January and paid 14.99. I will be billed 29.98 in early February to pay for January and February and then from march on I’ll be billed 14.99 monthly. So there is a 14.99 joint fee very sly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

As recently as December they posted this tweet...

https://twitter.com/gomoireland/status/1469293624647196672

"There is a €14.99 activation fee as standard but this also covers your first month of service and the set up of the SIM. Each month after that you are charged €14.99 (excluding out-of-plan services) as it is a rolling monthly contract"

That’s very helpful because I was told otherwise. If I’m charged 29.98 at the start of next month I will challenge them over it. The only thing is with these budget services is the customer service is appalling. Probably don’t even provide a contact number.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Unfortunately communication companies don't actually want to communicate with their customers, kind of Ironic. Gomo"s entire customer service is Web based as I presume most of the new players to the market are. Gomo have Web chat (rarely actually available) and email (rarely if ever responded to), this said, I've been with them from the start on €9-99 offer and have never had an issue.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

It's all about profit, why would they pay people to be available in a call centre. It's the same with certain gyms, no reception and lack of staff. I have to say the mobile data is a lot better than 3. Did you pay 20 for the first month and 10 from then on?

Hi, when I signed up there was a €10 sign up fee then was billed accordingly €9.99 per month (I can't recall if I paid for 1st month on sign up but don't think so.

I agree with your point re profit, less staffing etc but Customer Service shouldn't be compromised for the sake of profit, I've no objection to chat facilities (do it all the time with KBC) but GoMo, may as well not offer it as is rarely available and they, never respond to emails. But as I've said, no problems ever to be honest (touch wood)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

After you hit 120GB the speed is throttled until the end of the month instead of charging more.

Check https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/ to see which of the three physical networks have masts near you to narrow the choices.

Eir / Gomo

Vodafone / Clear / AnPost

Three / 48 / Virgin / Lyca / every other provider in the country and their dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I am in Dublin6, been using this since the launch without issue and over the last couple of months I cant make calls some times or it just randomly drops during a call (multiple times on the same call sometimes), same problem for my wife (Im android she is on an iPhone). I have nearly always full 4g each time. Contacted customer service, advised turning it off for 10mins, which didnt help. Anyone any ideas or having the same issue? I am at the point of moving to 48 as its a bit of a joke now.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Don't move to 48 unless you plan on never leaving the country.

I frequently am in Belfast and their roaming never works there. My son has GoMo and his works fine there.

48 roaming worked fine for me in Italy - no problem at all it just switched seamlessly in June this year, but when I was in Spain last year it would not connect to mobile data and there is a huge amount of complaints on their help section about roaming.

So unless you never go anywhere I'd be very wary about switching to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I am running 48, clearmobile and gomo sims.

48 does not work outside of ROI, dont bother. My buddy was on it and it NEVER worked in the UK. He told them to get stuffed. Clearmobile is actually Vodafone. Never had an issue with it, Ireland or abroad. Its data speed is capped at 5 meg. I now use it on a mountain as a data sim for low usage and CCTV. Next to a base station so it works very well. Never a bother with it.

My Gomo sims are all 9.99 gizmos. No bother with them at home or abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Do you get a low ping time and decent speed (i.e. do you get the 5?) from the clearmobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

The clearmobile is running in Bohernabreena. You can see the base station. When running a speed test, it jumps to high speed, then reduces to the 5meg. I am unsure about ping time. It is supposed to run at 5 and it does, not a bother. There is no alternative there. KN networks installed a fibre line but made a hems of it, left it low hanging with multiple dropouts and were absolutely useless. They didnt give a damn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Raven_k42

I've been with GoMo for over 3 years - main number on the old €9.99 offer and more recently added another number at €12.99 pm. I've had a few outages on the new number over the last few months...lasted about 24 hours with no calls/data possible. Customer service nor accessibility is great - as mentioned above WebChat rarely manned and email response poor. I did find a twitter/facebook contact and tried using that as well.

Other than the above it's been pretty painless.

K

Advertisement