Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Djokovic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Goerge Best got a liver despite continuing to drink - he got a liver cos he was rich so its not a level field and only the poor are penalised

George Best got a liver and he continued drinking he never stopped but he was very rich ......and the rich do get better treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

That's true.

In fact he was able to arrange to get two liver transplants, and was a known wife-beater.

At this stage I think I want him to take part in the tournament so I can hear all the boos and watch all the riots some of you mention. It would be must watch TV and if he does play, I bet the viewing figures are gonna be huge.

• Advertisement

If he does get the boot what if all his games were played on some cruise ship off the coast in international waters. Would also be great TV.

And in Australia getting the boot really means the boot

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

They can vaccinate him give him surely.

There was a time when the ships brought people TO Australia not from it 😂

He could serve from the ship? I know you’re meant to swap sides but they could make an exception for good ol’ Novak!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

The old asshole was 15+ feet away on the other side of the street. But sure make it sound like I walked up to him, pinned him against the wall and proceeded to splutter repeatedly into his face. You accuse me of being Walter Mitty and you dream up scenaria like this?

Djokovic has done nothing wrong by refusing to get vaccinated, esp since he already had covid. He is attempting to dodge potential side effects.

Nope. You're correct that he has done nothing wrong by refusing to get vaccinated, but that's where his lack of wrongdoing ends.

He is attempting to dodge the rules, regulations and conditions of entry to a country which knows all too well the dangers of allowing unfettered access to their country. He is doing so in the most insidious manner, by lying and attempting to cover up those lies with the most implausible of scenarios that change on a day to day basis.

He went swanning around the place, knowingly exposing young athletes to a potentially deadly virus without telling them. He lied, then tried to get his manager/PA to take the fall.

It is quite telling that he was being defended to the hilt all week while he was concocting his little spiel around his movements at Xmas time. Up until this morning of course when he admitted most of it. Now the narrative has shifted from "he did nothing wrong" to "the unvaxed aren;t the ones cancelling your ingrown toenail operations". Quite telling indeed, almost like his actions are indefensible, even for his most hardcore acolytes.

• Advertisement

Yeah, big man refusing to cover his gob like a normal person, then swearing at the pensioners. I've a puppy here if you want to give her a kick?

Leave some fanny for the rest of us, pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

I acknowledged upthread that he has messed up and made multiple errors of judgement.

Don't recall anything about ingrown toenails you've lost me there.

There goes the lizard-people slur again.

Answer me this and answer it truthfully if you can. Did you panic-buy/hoard jacks paper in March 2020? And if so why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Vaxtard gonna do what vaxtards do.....get covid , don't isolate and then lie to try and get in somewhere...this time a country.Hope the Aussies give him the boot and a heads up to other countries to double check the clown when applying elsewhere.

Sig edited so not to "offend" genocide apologists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYOZ3IzRaf4

https://www.btselem.org/

I coughed. I wasn't near anybody yet this clown took it upon himself to admonish me. I posed no threat to him or anyone yet he chose to stick his oar in. That right there is a fcuking dick who should mind his own business and stop trying to dictate to others what to do. Cough into my elbow. The guy was told to do this and then goes around telling other people to do it. If he was told that scratching one's head was a threat to public health he wouldn't question it (neither would you apparently) he would go round lecturing people if he saw them scratching their damn head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Good answer to be fair! The way my brain works though I'd feel if I made the decision not get vaccinated from covid ( definitely a fine personal decision ) then I should also be prepared not take a bed in a hospital if I got covid. More of a personal morality maybe I guess.

Coughing into your elbow is basic common decency. It has been around for years, long before covid came to town.

Showing this common courtesy during a global pandemic should be a no-brainer, it costs nothing, helps everyone around you, and demonstrates the most basic of altruistic traits. Not only did you refuse this common courtesy to your fellow man, you decided to verbally abuse an old man who had the temerity to ask you to think of others.

He wasn't told to do this. He was told that doing this is beneficial to everyone else, so he chooses to do this out of compassion and decency. The fact that you refuse to do the same speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

U remind me of a gobshite who reads childrens horror books

Do you agree that all opinions are equally valid and deserve the same respect?

Or do you recognise that some opinions are so outlandish and ludicrous and should be derided for the nonsense drivel that they are? (e.g. Kerrymen are stupid, women can't drive, Jews are inferior etc)

Because I'm in the 2nd camp. And anyone who is dumb enough to think that space travel is all fake and that satellites are made up deserves to be ridiculed for holding that opinion as it is so blindingly stupid.

Anyone dumb enough to think like that cannot, and who refuses to engage in any sort of exploration or questions about it, has zero footing to start demanding answers from anyone. In fact, I'd go so far as to suggest they should be openly mocked for falling for such nonsense.

I include jacksroll hoarders in that category also. Idiots being blindly led down the garden path by shite they see on social media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Pity he didn't give you a slap while he was at it. You sound like a spoilt teenager with no manners and an attitude problem. Embarrassing.

No not at all but he got 2 livers 2 families gave their dead family members organ to him and he continued to drink & pissed them away . Two other people could have benefited it was wasted on him with all his money. It was wrong to heal him he was intent on drinking himself to death & two other families would have been made happy and appreciated the donations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You should see what some Aussies think of him

Hell even their TV presenters have been caught out off camera calling him a lying scheming ar**hole.

And most Aussies agree with him but much less complimentary language.

If he plays his supporters will turn up with their Serbian military hats and Serb flags wrapped round them along with the anti vaccination loons.

Then watch normal people boor and jeer him.

All it takes is anyone spoiling for a fight like Bosnians or Croats to turn up and it is a shyteshow.

Is that what the organisers want?

Yeah they want viewers, but do they want points being jeered and booed with subsequent riot outside?

As I said they had crowd trouble in 2007 and 2009 so there is precedence.

I couldn't imagine the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club would want anything like that at the Championship.

Will UK allow him enter if he is unvaccinated ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

Coughing into your elbow is "basic common decency"?

Is it? I have never heard of this requirement, EVER.When did you start doing this? Was it recently or since you could wipe your own nose and arse?

Simple question. I understand that it's protocol to hold one's hand in front of one's face when one coughs or sneezes and yet here you are saying that anyone who doesn't do so is guilty of attempted manslaughter. Would you ever F.O.

But do you know what is also basic common decency? That's right...not running across the road and pointing and barking at someone because you think you know something that they don't.

How would you feel if I was walking down the road and saw you cock your leg and farting and having a laugh with your kid. Your fart is no more a threat to public health and safety than my cough. But yeah, keep defending the moron. Keep calling me a dick because some cretin dashed across and pointed his finger.

If I was such a health risk then wouldn't you agree that he put his life in danger by approaching me? Should he have been not given hospital treatment because he came close to a leper such as myself who coughed on the other side of the road?

Whats this got to do with a tennis player who lied to and cheated the Aussie border police ?

Yes, covering your mouth when you cough is common decency

No, it's not a requirement

Yes, I've been doing it years - my nephew was taught it in high babies and he's in 5th year now

No, I didn't say it was manslaughter

Yes, they used to tell you to cough into your hand but that was done away with donkeys years ago, cos now your hand is covered in germs.

You should brush up on your comprehension lessons, maybe take a look at your decorum while you're at it, might stop you from swearing at pensioners.

All these extra little convenient details about him running across roads that you never mentioned at the time, but now are painting you in a better light......snells like BS, I've gotta admit.... Is your surname Djokovic by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

He tested positive....but then didn't self isolate, not a great look imo but hey. Up to Serbia to deal with that.

And seems they might

Novak Djokovic could face a fine or even prison in Serbia after his admission that he broke isolation while he had Covid last month, lawyers have said, as the Serbian prime minister warned his behaviour appeared to be “a clear breach” of the rules.

No matter how much they're backing up his efforts to play in the Open, I'd imagine the Serb government can't have him openly flouting their rules.

• Advertisement

Why are you bringing up moon landings and flat Earth and whatnot?

If all opinions are valid then why are you trying to lambaste those who don't share yours?

You just called me a "tuff guy" for telling some dick to piss off and stop trying to tell me what to do. And you go with the dickhead.

I won't be told what to do. I'll think and then exercise my own free will. Strange concept, huh? Free will? You see, somebody told you that your safety is contingent on other people bending and if they don't like it then you say that they are threatening you and encroaching upon your freedom to live your life in peace, safety and harmony.

But what I HAVE noticed is a sea-change. People no longer swallow this crap. Slight cracks even amongst the most intransigent minions. People are seeing this nonsense. Green shoots? There are still the cretins who will defend the idiocy of elbow bumping or some other such stupidity. Keep 2m apart but you can bump elbows? Must have really long arms. 2 billion masks now in the sea and btw they are not biodegradable.

In the Netherlands they had a 9pm curfew.....FOR WHAT?

And do you cross the road with your kid and scream at someone who doesn't abide by your "norms"?

And how do you know it was a pensioner?

Firstly you tried to assert that I coughed on an old man even though you have no idea where he was and that I was somehow threatening his wellbeing.

Now you are trying to state that you know his social standing or his age? So are you now trying to say that the prick who acted up with me was of a certain age? I.E. over 67?

Do you want to continue with your assumptions? Would you like to tell us the colour of his coat and hair and if he had a dog with him?

You seem to know more about the dick than I do. I never said he ran anywhere. I never stated his age (not that I would know), I never said that I was anywhere near the guy when I coughed.

You, au contraire, have filled in all those blanks.

And now I'm Djokovic.? Do you have any more comments? Or should I just go back to denying that the Earth is round?

AND in other news.....the founder of the World Society of Incompetent Retards (WSIR), Jens Stoltenberg, has stated that a Russian invasion of Ukraine is imminent.

His chief advisor and "brilliant" confidante Ursula von der Leyen, concurs.

The Russian annexation of Kazakhzatan is on hold until the Reds gobble up Kiev and then swallow Latvia.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Every economy has taken a hit but the Australian economy has taken a massive hit because of the insane lockdown periods, Although most of the country's population is vacinated (to the same level as most countries) they still are going to have to live with the virus now (omicron varient) for the first time .....and in the end (preusuming there is going to be an end!) they will most likley be little better off than anyone else.

There has been some marches and peacefull protests at the sacry level of control the australian government has infringed on personal freedoms and rights ..but really not enough. . Has this been posted here yet ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grutHVNA2EM

I havn't read through 47 pages (sorry) but as i'm sure some have said .the djokovic situation has highlighted to the world just what a horrible nanny stae this country has become .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

"and in the end (preusuming there is going to be an end!) they will most likley be little better off than anyone else."

Define "little better off". I live in Perth and we have had one death from community transmission in almost two years, compare that to the rest of the country and the world. Now, there is plenty of fatigue around Western Australia's restrictions and a lot of appetite to travel/see family and friends again but in terms of arguably the most important metric, death numbers, we are very much a lot better off than pretty much everyone else. The protesters are very much in the minority here because of the quality of life we've been able to have. Other parts of the country are the same - Northern Territory, Tasmania, South Australia, Queensland have all been largely untouched throughout. Australia is more than just Sydney and Melbourne.

The WA economy, which is crucial to the country overall, has also been fine over the period, no massive hit as you've suggested. Having said that, I hope we do reopen on February 5 so I can see my family again. I'll be boosted next week and we can't stay this way forever.

Re: Djokovic, he's an idiot but no more so than our incompetent Federal Government. Ideally he gets booted from the tournament and Morrison and co. get booted from power in this year's election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,716 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I'm afraid this is nonsense from beginning to end. Although there has been an economic hit, it has been much smaller in Australia than in comparable developed countries; during the pandemic Australian economic performance has surpassed that of South Korea, Japan, the US, France, Germany, Italy and the UK. While Australia has had some long lockdowns they have been local, never national. The aggregate impact of Australia's lockdowns in terms of reduced mobility for both workers and consumers has been less - and in many cases much less - than that of lockdowns in the US, France, Germany, Italy and the UK, and of course the impact of the illness itself, both on those infected and those who have to isolate because of close contact with infected people, has been much less in Australia.

That's not to say that this couldn't change as the pandemic develops but, as of now, Australia has suffered less lockdown, and a lower economic hit, than most comparable countries. Things would have to change a lot before Australia was as badly affected in either of these respects as other countries, never mind be worse affected. If there has been relatively little resistance to the measures adopted by Australia, a large part of the reason for that is that those measures have been so conspicuously successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

If this was anyone else in the same situation this would have ended weeks ago. Send him home with a digeredoo and a clap on the back. Try harder next time mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

I hope you guys are right , There'es only one guy i know who went there in the weeks/ months leading up to the pandemic who is still there and he still can't find work. He applied for permanent residency and is staying with relatives. The other two came back early (which is not surpising in any way) i think the major factor was that they couldn't work and their landlord simutanously put up their rent by 30%! (again this has happened in many places).

What is alarming is the amount of laws being passed in Australia with little objection and no opportuntity/power to vote on them!... I really couldn't live there guys .

I don't know if you watched the youtube clip guys (posted in original post). I hope you don't think i am taking my information and basing my opinion on Russel Brand videos but he does raise some good points on the Australian government ..he's not slighting them nor is he being biased ..in fact he's not even giving an opinion ..mearly stating facts.

On Djokivic himself ..he is stll not a carrier of the virus and having contarated the virus itself ..he has as much immunity has anyone currently double vacinated. If he plays (which looks likley) he will take his boos from the crowd and somehow i doubt he will care either way ..he . personally isn't responsible for melbourne's long lockdown ordeal. As a nutural i personally am completely indifferent . I think he has indirectly made the oz govt look stupid and petty and that;s why they don't want to draw more attention to themselves by actually deporting him ...becuase then 'They' are the headline . They need to cut their losses here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I honestly thought the moment it was discovered he lied on his visa application he'd be gone for sure. Are they trying to delay the decision until a moment he no longer has any time left to appeal before the tournament starts or are they really going to let him off with lying to enter the country? Very surprising if they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭jj880

My sister is living just outside Melbourne. She says everyone she knows is having the same conversation as the 2 news reporters on Channel7. Basically Djokovic is an arsehole and should be booted out but the Ozzy government will let him stay because they are muppets.

I honestly believe this will turn a lot of people against restrictions if he stays. I see a guy in England wants his £100 fine refunded for having 3 friends in his garden for his birthday after Boris Johnson's 100 people garden party. I agree with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

That's a pretty sharp segue there. I take it you're in agreement that the whole coughing at geriatrics topic wasn't going too well for you.

Shockingly a tennis-related post about Djokovic

Well Djokovic is in the draw, even though the organisers delayed it but the Australian government ditherers delayed longer so it had to go ahead.

Somebody online took the time to map out his possible route to pearl-clutcher-brain-explodation

R1: Kecmanovic

R2: Tommy Paul

R3: Sonego/Querrey

R4: Garin/Monfils

QF: Berrettini / Norrie

SF: Zverev/Nadal/Hurkacz/Shapovalov

F: Medvedev/Tsitsipas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Tough draw there! , no proper gimmes anyway. For the early rounds, Sonego is dangerous in big games although he isn't guaranteed to get to round 3. Paul won a tournament a few months ago beating some proper players too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Funny how he got drawn with a Serb in the first round.

Was one of our GAA provincial councils doing the old draw by any chance.

If the Aussie government chickens out and he is allowed stay his hardcore foam at the mouth Serb fans will have to scream for him against another Serb.

Well in the first round anyway.

Kecmanovic will suddenly find he is the most popular player in world tennis, for an afternoon at least.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

They're suggesting that the government is strongly leaning towards cancelling his visa and that doing so on Friday would give him very limited time to appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I'm double vaxxed. I got Covid on 1st Jan (failed antigen test). While positive with Covid, I had to get a bus to, and from, a Covid testing centre on 4th Jan, under HSE advice, are the HSE vaxtards?? If so, why are you following their rules?

Well he's hardly going to roll over and take it up the hole without a squeak at this point after they pulled a flip-flop at the airport after him traveling all the way out and throwing him into a refugee lock-up location.

He or the other people who were granted an exemption wouldn't have gone near Australia except they were told that all of their application was in order.

Too right he would appeal.

Probably a slim chance of success but his lawyers were on the ball in the first showdown

As a bonus the judge directed the Aussies to pay his legal fees also!

• Advertisement
Advertisement