Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,900 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Staff turnover is only pricey if the wrong ones quit. Sometimes it's priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

And is this cold year around? Anyone who has to heat the whole house to stay warm in a room needs a little rethink. Thankfully, Ireland has a mild climate for the most part, so any increase would be very minimal.

As someone who lives in a modern well insulated house, I can honestly say that I have not needed to provide any additional heating at all, just being in the home office with two monitors and a docking station is sufficient to keep the room at or above 20C the whole day.

Even during the recent cold snap the temperature never dropped below 19C.

If it's costly to heat the one room during the working day, then it must cost s fortune to heat the rest of the house during the mornings & evenings!

I turn in the gas for 20 mins in the morning and 30 mins in the evening. This would be wfh or not so nothing additional. The builder and prior owner really did a nice job insulating the place. I've mentioned this previously, not sure if on this thread or somewhere else.

As for equipment, prior to wfh I had a personal office setup so no additional cost there either as I packed my stuff away and just use the work stuff. Actually it probably costs less as my personal stuff was ancient so possibly pulled more wattage.

Only thing additional in my setup now is the dock.

If there does happen to be anything additional in energy consumption its more than offset by the tax relief

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Great for you. You know that not everyone has the luxury of the insulation and the equipment and the space that makes WFH workable for you?

• Advertisement

Hence why it has been repeatedly stated that WFH is not a once-size-fits-all solution.

WFH works for a lot of people and roles but also doesn't work for a lot of people and roles

Same for hybrid work and full-time office work.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

I lived with someone who was full time WFH. They would turn on the heating before putting on a jumper. Annoyed me but not enough to say anything as we still foolishly just split bills evenly. Our energy bill was something else until they moved on.

I'm genuinely of the opinion that people who house share and WFH will be expected to chip in more for utilities as WFH becomes an permanent thing post COVID becoming endemic. It will still be far cheaper for the WFH worker than actually going to a workplace.

If they were using more than their fair share but not paying it, why on earth would you not challenge them on it. That applies regardless of WFH. It's basic flatmate etiquette

That article is playing the "race card" at every oppertunity, something that does not fit into a discussion about WFH.

I stopped reading it, America is really a screwed up place these days!

• Advertisement

You are right that there is no place for race here. But it is an undeniable fact (and I say this as a middle aged manager) that most decision makers in large companies are late middle aged men at a point in life that their home life is not complicated and they can be in the office every day. The inevitable conflict between decision maker and employee is grounded in differing phases of life and demographics

The author is right in that conflict is inevitable

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Apologies if this isn't the right forum, but there seems to be quite a few Civil Servants on here, and maybe somebody can advise.  I have been WFH since the beginning of the pandemic.  Last Tuesday, just as I was to return to work after Christmas, I was feeling grotty, did an antigen test, which came up positive and then applied for a PCR test.  I phoned my line manager to say that I was unfit for duty.  I then got a positive PCR result, by text message from the HSE.  How do I go about applying for special leave with pay due to Covid?  Do I screenshot the text message I got from the HSE?  Whoi is to say how many days I should take off before returning to work at the kitchen table? It all seems pretty vague and I'd like to know what the correct procedure is here.  Many thanks for any advise offered.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Apply for your recovery cert when you can, if you just have to prove that to your manager then i am sure the text will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,900 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This is first piece I've seen which looks at the customer impact of WFH. About time, IMHO - customer impact should be the first consideration.

Almost two years ago when many people first went home, people worked very hard to make it work because they were scared companies would close and they'd become unemployed. As that fear has gone, the work attitude has changed a lot.

I had a giggle at the idea of a junior staffer declining a meeting cos it clashed with his yoga - but this is a classic case of a social/cultural norm which people miss learning if there aren't senior staff around to guide them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

It's very light on detail. Although I did read it from here due to paywall on afr

ft.com/content/d0df2f1b-2f83-4188-b236-83ca3f0313df

maybe my link is missing most of the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭gaming_needs90

Regarding this post from last month, I have had further discussions with the company in Dublin and they said a day every fortnight is fine. I am in the health science industry at a purely desk job so I presume that's why this is feasible.

Presuming the right salary, I think this is quite possible if not advantageous. I think a day in the office, albeit far, twice a month would be nice. That being said, this provision would have to be written into the contract as I don't want to be catdish'ed come six months down the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Of course customers have to be a consideration that is a given. Now I can't see anything as there is a paywall on the site but I bet there is a serious bias towards employers. Managers have to manage but work is evolved and a manager has to adapt as well as the employees will have to realise there is stuff they have to do and I say the vast vast majority know this and are getting back to what they need to do. As for that yoga story I will take €600 for stuff been made worse then they are and outliers Alex

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭gaming_needs90

would anyone expect anything different in the FT?

This is not a new thing. I’ve been hybrid working for nearly a decade, as have most in my firm and most white collar workers I know. Maybe for some it’s been only a Friday or a Monday working at home, on an informal basis, but it’s being formalised and expanded everywhere. Hybrid certainly is not going anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Company I work for, saved millions due to Hybrid. No way they would go back on that.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭Naos

Thanks for that - few things of note:

1) Yes there are far more internal meetings but who is setting them up? Middle/Upper management.

2) "In the private sector, polls continue to show that a majority of us want to keep working from home, at least part of the time. But what if it isn’t actually that good for us, or those we work for?" - This article completly negates the benefits of WFH eg. work/life balance.

3) A junior employee turned down a Company Directors request for a meeting because they were attending yoga? They sound like an idiot regardless of if they would be in the office or not.

Post edited by Naos on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

As I expected all there data come from the time the pandemic was at it worst and. As for the strike they are saying it is due to been asked to return while in others they talk about how will they work safely due to the increase of work due to the pandemic this will calm itself down. The article is going for the slant of the greedy workers and the managers are doing there best. I can tell you in my place where I work in the public service when we were told we had to go back we all came back unless do to underlying conditions which was one person. As for the yoga and carefully doing seminars on a Friday I bet there is a whole lot more to those stories if not exaggerated a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Downsizing the office and moving to hot desks. Not everyone is in everyday, so no need to have the same amount of space.

That's what I was expecting. Are there any plans to share the savings with the employees who are now providing office space free of charge to their employer?

Can't speak to that posters situation but at my own employer they are repurposing office space over to cleanroom space which is a lot more valuable and will lead to far higher numbers employed at the site than would otherwise be possible while not needing to reduce the numbers of "office" staff.

All in all, a win for everyone.

As for the company putting the savings into wfh staff pockets, personally I wouldn't expect it as that's not how business operates outside of typical annual salary reviews. In the same way that businesses do not charge staff for the use of the office.

Spare cash is reinvested into r&d, growing production facilities etc (varies by business). Sure some will go in the form of dividends but that is also normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

The "article" was indeed trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Apologies if this has been covered before but it looks like I will be able to work remotely for the forseeable, even after the pandemic.

With that in mind, I'm looking for a bit of inspiration to spruce up the home office, which is currently the box bedroom upstairs in our gaff.

Has anyone done anything intersting with theirs or care to share a few pictures?

Maybe I'm weird but I've kept the office completely barebones. I don't want a reason to be there when I'm not working so I've no toys or screens or chairs or anything there. I keep it as spartan as possible so when I go downstairs for something to drink and a couple of minutes on the sofa it feels like a break.

Different strokes and all that but might be something to consider.

• Advertisement

The whole article is garbage. Progressive companies don’t do anything like that on Fridays. Though stopped short of banning them, any internal meetings are strongly discouraged in my firm on Fridays, other than informal team coffees or chats etc, and it’s really taking hold in the company culture.

Advertisement