Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I pass this daily on my commute (on the bike) and there is rarely any cars there mid week. If there is its not that risky to pass them safely in my opinion. No skin in the game here, in fact I'm no great fan of some of the individuals quoted in the article, but I'm not sure there really is an issue here. The fact is that a large percentage of the congregation to that church are old and maybe infirm - the reality is that they have to park close to the church or don't go at all - I'm not religious but every person in this state has a right to worship, albeit parking illegally. Ideally there would be no cars parking in the cycle lane but I'll bet that this situation will resolve itself in the fullness of time.

Far worse is the parent parking situation at the Boro school down the road as this is at times when children might cycle to school and it really is a free for all at these times. This is a far more pertinent example of the shift that's required in peoples behavior but the school are keeping quiet and doing sweet FA about it despite the fact that nothing will change as time goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

2 hours on a Sunday*, can they not park outside the cycle lane? Or just like the Supervalu deliveries, it's ok to endanger vulnerable road users, but you couldn't possibly discommode motorists?

*using Sunday as an excuse is opening a whole other line of debate - Are they saying on Sunday it's ok to ignore the law, but it should be enforced for those attending religions that main day of worship is a Friday or Saturday?

I'm guessing if there was legitimate enforcement along that road, the church wouldn't be long figuring out a solution to avoid getting ticketed.

All it would take is one person to call 999 and report the issue. 2 Sundays of honest to god (sorry) enforcement and I think miracles might happen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

If there is its not that risky to pass them safely in my opinion.

i suspect it's not just about cycling though. do they always park with four wheels on the road?

also, i'm always conscious that it's easy for me to swing out around parked cars, i've got the acceleration and the experience to do it. but if this is part of why people are worried about their kids getting to school, or why people won't cycle out to howth, it's a bigger issue than just having to swing around the cars into traffic.

you're right about the school though, the google street view of it was taken when parents were on the pickup run and the place is clogged with cars.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'll happily let Alastair Dunlop have his congregation use the cycle lane for two hours on a Sunday if he tells us which of the commandments we will be allowed to ignore during that period.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Couple of points:

No guard will ticket cars parked outside a church. It doesn't matter whether you think they should or shouldn't do it, it's just not going to happen.

How big is the congregation I wonder? Is the car park too small to be reserved for elderly or disabled parishioners?

They seem to have one service a week. Is one hour a week, at a time when the roads are usually very quiet, that big of a deal? Especially considering, as another poster has pointed out, the traffic chaos caused by schools, which is during periods when the roads are busy and a lot of people are trying to get around by bike.

That's why photo evidence of illegal parking should be submitted. Doesn't even have to be processed by a garda then.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

One thing I dislike about driving past cars parked along the side of the road is the possibility of a child or animal darting out from behind a car a unseen until the last moment. The concealment from view of the footpath in these circumstances is hazardous particularly in housing estates and outside shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

Apparently there's only room for 10 cars in the car park. If they were to get ten grand every Sunday for each car more than that that they could fit in there I'd say they'd find a bit of space pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's bike" — ogling permitted of a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Please send this in as a letter to the Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If they were truly observant Presbyterians, they wouldn't be driving on the sabbath at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

1 hour a week that it impacts them specifically.

So we shouldn't protect the lane for vulnerable users from illegal parking the remaining 167 hours in the week?

Clearly bollards are a 'better' and cheaper solution to address illegal behaviour if there if a) people won't respect the law B) those who enforce the law aren't arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

My brother designed apartments for Jewish residents in London; the Presbyterians would want to take lessons for the Old Book folk.

The question really is do we want to be Germanic with a strict interpretation of ALL the rules or a bit more southern European in how we apply or roll with them

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I wasn't saying don't create the lane, more speculating on whether there was a solution that permitted some on-street parking for one hour a week whilst facilitating segregation for the remaining 167 hours.

That depends LBSG, do you want cycle lanes less or more observed and respected in Ireland than they currently are / aren't.

Germanic attitude means yes, southern European is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Well that escalated quickly…

On a Sunday, there’s all manner of parking quality I’m sure. Not many cars usually. They’ve been doing so, illegally, for years.

Its obviously not ideal but there’s bigger fish within the new scheme and they’re keeping stumm and letting the good Reverend take the flack.

Anyway, they started putting the bollards in today. Very few around the school and none yet near the chapel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,135 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I have cycled a lot in Spain, motorists are so respectful of cyclists there, they overtake bikes like they'd overtake a car, every single time, indicators and everything. When they do have bike lanes they tend to be segregated so there are no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Post edited by bazermc on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Great idea. Let them park on the road for an hour each week, and other motor traffic can just go round.

Germanic thanks. I don't see what's wrong with just doing things properly.

Only Tommy Tiernan can explain adequately how unlikely that will ever be.

Tommy Tiernan's unique skillset won't be required. We're all aware that the Gardai have no intention of enforcing parking regulations where only cyclists, pedestrians and wheelchair users are discommoded.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

As was discussed last week looks like Cycling Mikey has finally had somebody attack him. Probably not the smartest idea when on camera.

I'm sure the collection box could fund an hour of stop go lights for 100m or so, churchgoers Park in 1 traffic lane, everyone else on the road can alternate in the remaining lane.

Sure its, quiet on a Sunday... Only for an hour... People can just go round them... Its not that big an inconvenience... Etc etc

I'd actually say any Road Traffic Offences for the most part. The worst place for parking on the pavement in my local village is right outside and the 100m either direction of the Garda station. Over the years commuting I've watched them push broken down cars into grade separated cycle lanes, sweep the broken glass from collisions into cycle lanes, and enforce the bus lanes while parked in the grade separated cycle lane (and then pull the cars into it too).

I don't want to be unfair to them. From their Twitter account it looks like they are reasonably active regarding other traffic offences, and of course they have things like gangland killings to keep a lid on. But it's obvious that when it comes to illegal parking, zero Garda f**ks are given. Even when that parking is within sight of a Garda station.

Until they get behind a portal for logging video and photo evidence for road traffic offences, and hearing the treatment that some have got trying to pursue incidents, I don't really have that much sympathy tbh. But admittedly its a bigger RSA/ Political issue that footage is hard to use, no drive to use more cameras, no switch to APRN etc.

• Advertisement

If eflow can hound me with pictures of my car/reg clearly legible then there is no excuse for not rolling out APRN on the usual red light junctions, or 30 & 50k zones. Should be the same - as owner of vehicle in the video/image you are liable unless you clarify who was using the vehicle.

Advertisement