Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I guess they have to make sure they have a very clear cut reason to get rid of him without any last minute surprises. The Australian Open draw takes places at 4am our time tomorrow morning (3pm Australian time) so my guess is we could have a decision as early as 10 or 11pm tonight (9/10 am Australian time).

I always said that it was likely that Djokovic was going to be sent out in the end.

The Australians are no-doubt taking this long to try to ensure that their list of bungling isn't added to by screwing up again and giving Djokovic some legal redress (injunction).

They will have to provide a reason tomorrow why they are booting him.

The 14-day travel thing gives them some technical reason if they want to use it but made little difference in reality as he had only travelled from Serbia to Spain.

Don't think that they can use anything about Djokovic going to a photo-shoot in Belgrade.

They can't really argue that he's a health risk with recent immunity to the Omicron wave raging in Australia but they might try to stick in something about a vaccine somewhere - how I don't know.

Whatever about the stuff that has come out on the Djokovic movements the Australians effectively created this situation

The really big point about this is that Djokovic was never going to go near Australia save for the fact that the Australians had told him that he was good to get in on the exemption (TA, Federal Gov, State Gov)

Another player and official had already got in on the exemption and the same reason

The Australian Prime Minister actually fully endorsed the whole exemption process while Djokovic was in the air on his last leg to Australia

Asked whether the world No. 1 had received an exemption, Mr Morrison said on January 5:

“Well, that is a matter for the Victorian government. They have provided him with an exemption to come to Australia, and so we then act in accordance with that decision … That’s how it works. States provide exemptions for people to enter on those bases.

But then they changed their mind, tried to fook over Djokovic at 4am in the airport and kicked all this off because Djokovic had the balls to say "hang on here, you're shafting me" and when State Government said "No" when the feds rang them to see if they would sponsor Djokovic (even though they provided the exemptions!, Feds denying this now)

Then they put out all the misinformation about him

+ "It was a visa error by Djokovic" (might have proved true with the tick-box but not at that point)

+ Barnaby Joyce -> "if he lied etc"

+ "He doesn't have evidence for his exemption"

Then the story was that exemption reason wasn't valid and they stuck to that but that meant ->

"Quick we have to round up that auld Czech doubles bird off the streets as if she's some big criminal"

Then the judge rules in his favour etc.

There might be a little more pepper-spraying tomorrow - no doubt they are strategising how to possibly avoid that by not giving a crowd any location to assemble at.

They will be looking out for any flags in the crowd at the tournament itself also I would say.

The tournament itself will be highly unlikely to avoid some positive player tests in the midst of it going on how infectious Omicron is. (why did the guy in charge of keeping Covid infections out of the tournament hang up his boots...?)

What a cock-up

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Massive cock up by Australian authorities, Djokovic and his team. Id guess they'll get him on the 14 days thing. It's fully incorrect and the repercussions of an incorrect form are on the form. Do you know if he should be ok for the other slams?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'd be surprised if they use the no travel for 14 days reason, there are probably other players/officials who would then also have to get kicked out on that basis.

Also, what does 'travel' mean on that form? Does it mean get on a plane and go somewhere, in which case if Nadal flew from Mallorca to Barcelona, then he's in breach of it.

Or does it mean cross an international border? In which case if Zverev drove from Monaco to San Remo for coffee he's in breach.

Or both?

Yes they have that 14 days tick-box to cite

Pitfall of not using an English speaker to do the forms for English-speaking countries instead of his Italian agent or else he just made a general balls of it by going too quickly.

“Have you travelled or will you travel in the 14 days prior to your flight to Australia?”

The next slam is the French Open

I'd be confident that he will be at that even if he's not vaccinated to be honest as there have been reports about unvaccinated competitors being allowed to compete but maybe with extra restrictions.

The French will have a reason to be a contrast to the Australians also because of that submarine deal thing.

The French Sports Minister already said that he could compete.

• Advertisement

yes - it's not exactly very well worded as you point out.

will see what reason(s) they give I suppose.

Will the name of the competition be changing this year then?!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭_H80_GHT

Just now seeing the father speaking to a crowd of Serbians. "They nailed Jesus to the cross, and did all sorts to him. In the same way they are also trying to crucify Novak."

That's a worrying way to contextualize this debacle.

Oh dear. Another day passes and Novak is in the draw now.

And just in case, here's Spartacus's possible route to pearl-clutcher-brain-explodation

R1: Kecmanovic

R2: Tommy Paul

R3: Sonego/Querrey

R4: Garin/Monfils

QF: Berrettini / Norrie

SF: Zverev/Nadal/Hurkacz/Shapovalov

F: Medvedev/Tsitsipas

Are the Australians really trying to make djokovic sweat like an asylum seeker or just massive morons?

Answers on a postcard please or a post will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

They just need to get on with it and send him home. He will be a huge loss as a player from the tournament but they just need to make the decision now. It’s a complete circus over there.

Having his name in there and if/when they boot him out having to rejig it is adding yet another bungle to the list.

They deliberately delayed the draw I believe but then had to go ahead eventually lol

Apparently due to the way the rules are, Rublev would go to Djokovic's position in the draw and have the number one seed position.

Either way now Medvedev will have and remain with the number 2 etc

Some crowd of muppets.

If Djokovic is kicked out, will someone end up with a bye or are there players already in Australia on a standby list?

And now that the draw has been made should there be an AO 2022 thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

He gets replaced with a lucky loser from qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,978 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It's pretty common in tournaments to be fair, people drop out with injuries etc.

Decent pay day for someone if they get into the main draw.

The ausomillions lottery draw WTA draw also took place.

Osaka vs Barty in round 4 looks like a possible tournament decider

Would be nice to have a seed in the final anyway

Raducanu vs Sloane Stephens R1

Possibly has a chance there as Stephens has been on a slide for years and has played little in the last months

• Registered Users Posts: 14,857 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I thought this was funny but accurate analysis

Very surprised to wake up and still no decision made. I've swung back towards him being allowed stay now. I think maybe his legal team presented some kind of compelling evidence/argument as to why he should stay. Or maybe it's simply being dragged out as long as they can, waiting for any potential anger to die down and then it'll be quietly announced he's allowed to stay. I mean, he's now included in the draw, so...

This article suggesting that we might have a decision tomorrow, and that Djokovic's camp will immediately appeal in court if a deportation is ordered. I thought this Hawke guy had the final say, and that'd be it if he ordered deportation? Don't even know any more.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I can only think if they do it now it would be to embarrass Tennis Australia for their part in it. Once its gone on this long I'd imagine they'll let him stay.

• Advertisement

I can't get my head round it tbh, it should be an easy decision. Based on media reports it looked like he was being given the heave ho today, but some curveball must've been thrown somewhere. Would love to know what's going on behind the scenes.

Also wouldn't even be surprised if they let him play and then 'deport' once he's done with the tournament. He still (likely) wins #21 and the Australian government can pretend they've been in control the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Religion & Nationalism - a dangerous heady mix, that we are well familiar with too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Don't think Djokovic will be deported, it's gone on too long now, if they were going to do it they'd have done it by now. Once the decision went his way on Monday, it was difficult for the Australians to deport him. What he did or didn't do back in Serbia after the Covid test might not look great, but, is completely irrelevant to what happens in Australia.

Looking at the draw he looks pretty safe to make it to the quarter finals without much trouble ( of course there's always the possibility someone in the earlier rounds could play the game of their lives to shock him, but unlikely to happen). Berrettini, Zverev and Medvedev ( if they get there of course) would be a difficult path to winning it, but, certainly not beyond him by a long shot. I still think he has a great chance of winning it.

There are still noises about the "decision" coming tomorrow so I wouldn't count it out at all - probably still more likely than unlikely

But as said - another mistake imo by the bunglers over there to let it drag yet again if they are doing it - being in the draw and going out again just another one

Also if he makes the court do not discount/ underestimate all the mental energy (and disruption uncertainty) this has saga has taken

He would also encounter some crowd issues I'm sure but I also don't think that it would be as bad as people think

Djokovic has said that "Pressure is a privilege" but this is maybe taking it too far

At the US Open he was mentally drained (calendar slam expectation) as well as physically shot by the final

Lastly according to the draw would be the same run in from the 1/4's (if gets that far) as the US Open which took it out of him and Zverev has gone up a level again since then (when on form)

Even if Djokovic is there Medvedev is favourite imo (but I'd be up for Djokovic to sock it to the politicians)

Indeed -> fair number of FAKE NEWS stories going around last couple of days -> at least a couple of which posted on this thread indeed

Basically some low-quality media outlets are just feeding that side of the frenzy and the unverified basically "clickbait" is snapped up by that audience dying to believe it : ->

QR code from COVID test result was actually negative - False

Time and dates didn't match up from positive and negative tests - False (in the end was different labs and system uses live unix)

Djokovic will be deported on the 13th - False (source was "very respected journalist" so it's defo true)

Djokovic knowingly misinformed government about entry into Spain - False

Djokovic being investigated by Spanish government - False

I know the last week has probably been mentally exhausting for him but, when he gets onto the tennis court , which I'm certain he will ( in my opinion reports of deportation still being seriously considered are just wishful thinking for some who don't like him), it'll be a different story, all the frustration can be channelled into his tennis. Now if he was playing Medvedev or Zverev next week it might be a different story, but, by the time he gets to face them he'll have played his way into the tournament and this fiasco will have run its course. Also the pressure he was under in the USO was different to the pressure at the AO. At the USO it was tennis related and pressure he was putting himself under to break the record and get the calendar slam, at the AO it's off court pressures, nothing really to do with tennis, so actually playing will be a relief and a chance to get away from the off court stuff, we've seen it in other sports where athletes excelled at their sports despite off field troubles, their sport becomes a safe haven for them, a break from their off field troubles, I think it'll be similar for Djokovic. Look we'll know in time, if he wins everyone will say this drove him on that extra bit to win it, but, if he loses everyone will say the fiasco took its toll on him. Only Djokovic himself will truly know how it affected him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Deported again.

Looks like thats it now, thought he was lucky initially that the decision went with him on Monday, but, didn't think they'd actually deport him after it going his way. Was looking forward to see how he'd have got on and the crowd reaction, think the tournament will be all the poorer without him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭McFly85

Makes sense why it took so long now, no chance to appeal before the first round.

Its the right decision, hope now he’s learned to either follow the covid travel rules correctly or just don’t go to tournaments.

Advertisement