Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Can you quantify this and put in some figures or just look at my last post I have attached a previous post with figures

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I watched the episode when it aired a few years back so I can't remember the specific figures. I assume it's still on the rte player though.

Sure I will stick to what I put up so as its figures from the last year and not out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,756 ✭✭✭straight

My parents worked there asses off. They are in their 70s now and still working 80 hours a week on the farm. Never left the country, barely ever left their own county. They were born in houses with no electricity or running water and had to struggle for everything they earned. No takeaways or restaurants back then. No clothes thrown away until they were worn through. People now don't have a clue.

• Advertisement

It not the fact that it's penny's. It's the fact that the clothes are worn a few times and thrown away.

• Administrators Posts: 53,756 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You're still missing the point, you're still talking about discretionary things like restaurants as if it's relevant.

Your parents worked their asses off and got to buy a house thanks to the effort they put in. Unfortunately, given how property prices have soared and wages have not kept up (not even close), people today can work their asses off but still have no chance at all of ever buying a house. Even if they cut back on every single expenditure to the absolute bare minimum it wouldn't happen.

Bullsh1t. I bought a house in 06 and it's still not worth what I paid for it. There is still value in the market. I see 3 bed semis in cork city for 250k and I think they are great value especially when you consider the cost of building.

• Administrators Posts: 53,756 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's not bullshit at all, these are the facts. I think you just don't get it to be honest, they might be great value in your eyes at 250k but that's no use to someone who will never, ever get approved for a 250k mortgage. This is not 2006, you can't just rock in and write down how much you want.

The value of your purchase in 2006 compared to today is of no consequence. Buying in the 00s was easy, prices were high because lending was ridiculous, we know this because we're all still paying for it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

I totally agree with your conclusion.

The part I disagree with is the idea that individuals like me need to out-save, out-bid and out-drive (to Longford and back) in order to buy houses when it is a societal solution required.

Nothing less than drastic policy change will fix the Irish housing market.

Theres no I in team.

• Advertisement

I know alot of lads are getting screwed with contract work and low rates of pay in fairness and that is tough going. But there seems to be alot of work available at the moment and hopefully wages will improve for them. But saving 25k as a couple is not difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Reading the last couple of pages comments here I said I'd give my own situation.

Went to college. Got a degree and a masters. Graduated 2011. You'd have barely gotten a job in a petrol station back then. People forget how bad it was. It was chronic.

Went back to working retail and started studying for my professional exams. Was on awful money and was young so it was being spent enjoying myself.

Started doing free work experience in law firms. Did a jobbridge in a law firm. Wasn't offered a position at the end of it.

Passed my professional exams.

Got an entry level job in an Irish Bank in their legal department. 24k. Was delighted with the money.

Spent a year there and then I got a traineeship to begin training as a Solicitor in 2015. This is what I went to college to study, what I did the professional exams for, and what I always wanted since college. The traineeship was going to be 2 years or so.

Had to pay for the professional practice courses myself. Normally your training firm pays it but it was still recession time. Then, when I was working in the office and not on the courses, it was minimum wage. Which was €8.65 at the time.

Qualified and thankfully the country was doing well again. This was late 2017, early 2018.

Began saving again.

Ended up meeting my current partner and we had a child. Unexpected.

But I didn't mind. I am a qualified Solicitor and kept getting more experienced and my salary kept going up. Kept saving away.

Then, pandemic hit. Partners job gone. She didn't bother getting another one as childcare costs too high to justify it and better to be with the little one anyway. Then, property prices soared.

Currently, I'm on 80k. Can't afford a property around my home town. Keep being out bid.

We don't pay rent, live with my partner's parents. Well my home house is up the road so we are between the two. I make and drink coffee mostly at home. Eat mostly at home. Although I do get some takeaways. As there is a pandemic we don't really go out anywhere or do much. As such I don't really buy new clothes. I've a 2007 car.

It's very annoying that I have one of the "traditional" professional jobs where years ago you'd be expected to be quite wealthy from and I literally cannot afford a simple 3 bed for my family. I'm not looking to buy in Dublin btw.

I'll keep saving away and I am hoping we can get something in a few months. We were going to look at 2 bed apartments but I'd prefer to keep saving and get a house as I don't want to be paying over the odds for an apartment and then not be able to sell it in a few years to get a house if prices came down.

I know I'm lucky to have a good and well paid job but it's incredibly frustrating the way prices are gone and the lack of supply and being outbid. It just makes it seem like no matter what we do to try catch up it just doesn't matter and rather than catching up with the market we are slipping further behind.

Post edited by chops018 on

You're doing fine. You are still young believe it or not. Timing just wasn't on your side in 2011, same as it wasn't on my side when I bought in 06. All will come right for you in time. Best of luck.

And you would never get a slot on How To Be Good With Money as you’re too normal.

There’s no entertainment value in a sensible young couple saving a lot, living a little and doing their best.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Some takeaways?!?!?! There's your problem. I bet when you're in the shop you have the gall to treat yourself to a bar of chocolate sometimes. What beans do you buy??? I bet it's not Tesco value beans. That's your problem. Not willing to make sacrifices. Blowing all your money on takeaways and fancy tins of beans. Obviously I'm taking the piss but with some people's attitudes maybe that isn't so obvious.

I can't see why he can't afford a house at this rate. Surely he's saving at least 20k a year.

Young people wasting their money on things like new cars bought on PCP actually comes up a bit. I would love to see the breakdown of PCP sales by age group. Most people I know who have a car on PCP are in their mid 40s up. Most people I know who are mid 20s to mid 30s either doesn't own a car or has a second hand one. Most of those cars are average enough cars like Toyotas, Fords, Mazdas etc.

Sure plenty of younger people waste their money and don't save a penny when they could if they actually tried but that is not true of all of us.

I have a Skoda. It’s my dream to one day drive my very own Mazda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

For clarity

Pulling up the ladder culture refers to the systematic lumping of the costs of the last crash disproportionately on the youth and generations yet to come. This was done through employment terms and conditions plus reinflating the property bubble to bail out this most culpable for the crash ie banks, developers etc.

Again government(s) policy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

The government needs to get housing built and this is going to cost a lot. Public transport needs a big upgrade as does the health service. Agriculture needs cash to help ease to greener practices, education is chronically underfunded and rolling out wfh policies, hubs, high speed broadband etc will cost money as well. These are the things that we have to invest in as a country, there is no "tightening the belts" post-covid. The recovery has not even started yet, and won't until COVID is over. But where does that leave inflation when the government are going to throw the kitchen sink at investment post-covid? Likely interest rates will have to rise and the public investment programme will be funded by low for long ECB borrowing (that will never be repaid).

Supply is the answer, literally any discussion around the problems in the property market can be addressed with that solution. Increase supply dramatically to create choice and reduce housing costs. Simple as that. However, what is quite clear is that supply will never ramp up to sufficient levels to bring down the average rents and house prices from today's levels. The policies of the government are not manufactured to do this and the steps to do it are too dramatic for our political establishment to take, which means the housing crisis won't end until something external happens which causes even bigger issues than simply property market issues (eg an economic recession).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

No figures for Ireland but around the fifties in the US people used to change cars every 2 years.

Changed utterly.

The stories I've heard from old men >80 about drinking and yet they managed to buy house. The crap you come out with is pathetic.

Fwiw, we saved and managed to buy in the 10s but know a lot on modest enough wages that are essentially locked out despite working and working and living relatively modest lifestyles.

Don't know what planet you're living on. I've never even bought a new car my whole life and know many other professionals in the same boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Just to say on the same topic, know a lady from a poor farming background born in the 1930s who managed to buy her first house on her own in a nice part of Dublin despite having went to dances, parties, holidays, etc.

Yes she was not wasteful but she lived a life too and she could buy.

Her brother stayed on the farm. I'd advise taking everything 'straight' has said with a spoon of salt

Fair play to her. Plenty buying on their own now too but of course they usually get the bank of mum and dad sh1t thrown at them.

Plenty houses like this in our second city. What's the problem like?

Your parents worked there asses off to help make a better life for you as did all other parents did back then. It's called human nature

It is kind of perverse that people pay taxes into a system from hard work that is spent driving house prices up thus making life more difficult for their children. Your working to improve your children's life, while your taxes do the opposite. Lunacy

Why can't people wake up to what is going on. This only benefits a very minute portion of wealthy people/firms to the detriment of all others

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Are there really people on here in their 40's lecturing people trying to buy a home now about being financially prudent when they were the 5 times your salary 110% mortgages with a new car on the mortgage too, holiday home in Spain, change the car every two years, party all weekend, this Celtic Tiger will never end with a bit of cocaine thrown in too generation? 🙄

Im in the generation of people in their early to mid 30's now who were able to stay in Ireland and build a career post crash and consider myself a very good saver and debt adverse, how else could you be when you grow up hearing of a local suicide every month or so due to some massive debt that person couldn't pay leaving a family behind?

Would have loved to have bought circa 2013 but all of my 20's were a write off, never earned enough to even think about a deposit or house, just lucky to have a job at all until things picked up around 5 years ago and having been moving companies to get my salary up. Even with a good job and decent savings still not been able to buy anything decent, other bidders seem to be able to pull €50k out of a hat and while people say "oh you can buy a 3bed semi for 250k" even though it probably needs 80k of work as whats on the market is pretty poor quality.

Timing excuse is bullsh1t. We could have run our country in a proper sustainable manner during the Celtic tiger and you and people who graduated in 2011 could have entered the housing and jobs market in a fair and balanced way.

The reason you did not is because housing was allowed to strangle the economy just as it is again today

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

Well if the 250 k house isn't good enough then that's one own choice. Just don't be complaining about it. That's the problem with people now. They have champagne appetite but 7up budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

Advertisement