Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with audacity project.

Options
  • 11-01-2022 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭

I saved an audacity file as a project recently because I was adding labels to certain parts of it. The other day there was some audio (about 10 seconds) mysteriously disappeared off it, and I got a warning message about this when I opened the file. I replaced that part of the audio and it matched up with the labels I'd added before so I thought all would be fine.

But since that error I've been getting the below message every time I open it. I tick the second option and everything seems fine after that. But I'm afraid of what might happen if I tick the first option. I've been taking screen shots lately before I save my work on it, in case more of it goes missing again. Does audacity struggle to cope with lots of labels being added?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭HorseSea

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Well if one of us made a double post, I no longer see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭HorseSea

Sorry, I tried to edit out 2nd post and it seems it did both!

Basically I was hoping someone else would come along with more expertise....

It looks like a source file for you project was moved/deleted/renamed, giving rise to the message that project can't find the data.

Also if you select the 3rd option you won't continue to get the message, but it will not solve the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

and what you get from "Show Log for Detail" ?

@HorseSea Also if you select the 3rd option you won't continue to get the message, but it will not solve the issue.

Thanks, that worked. I was just a bit afraid at the idea of replacing anything with silence, seeing as I'd already replaced the audio upon the first error message.

I did delete the original audio only file after the project was saved, so I thought that wouldn't matter. Strange anyway the way it was only a little piece of it that disappeared!

• Advertisement

Oh I didn't understand any of that gibberish. Fair play to you if you would!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

See, the log contents might help if you posted them here in reply to the poster.

Not your ornery onager

I don't get the display anymore upon opening it since I took HorseSea's advice.

I am wondering what these data folders are? They seem to appear on their own. I'm wondering if I can delete them. You can see in the first image that the first two of these are associated with the audacity file in the bottom of the image.

As in the second image, when I try to open any of these I get some sort of error message.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

These are your project data folders. As you create project it is created there, as per your own image "Blessed" correspond to "Blessed_data".

If you start messing there dont be surprised your projects throw errors at you.

If files from _data folder corrupt or missing due to OS or hardware(e.g disk) issues you will suffer project loss/corruption.

Perhaps you should see to upgrade your software

NOTE: As of version 3.0, Audacity no longer saves AU files that users can access. Instead, Audacity saves all of a project's files within a single .AUP3 file, instead of within a myproject_data folder.

https://forum.audacityteam.org/ could also be good place for you to get more info

• Advertisement

Thanks. That probably was what the first problem I had was as I deleted a data folder. I had an upgrade recently so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm still not sure why there's two data folders for the one file.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

It might be a good thing to do full system check. Corruption on the drive may indicate the beginnings of major issues.

• Defrag hard drive run diagnostics on the drive.
    • Full windows system health check.
    • Uninstall and Reinstall Audacity when the system is given a clean bill of health.
    • If your drive is years old it maybe time to install a new drive (ssd), save yourself a lot of headaches.

Advertisement