Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Niceday20

One further thing to consider on top of @bullit_dodger advise, is that an EV typically needs a minimum of 1.4kW before the charger kicks in. There will be plenty of times when you will have less than 1.4kW surplus which will likely be going to the grid.

Not at home during the day, that's the main issue which kills me that there's no proper FIT in Ireland. My OHs Parents in Germany export up to 70 Kwh per day during the brighter months, get well paid for all the excess and buy it back to offset some of the cost of running storage heaters, they now have a Kia E-Soul 64 Kwh.

Batteries are good enough, there shouldn't be a reason why a decent battery can't provide 5 Kw in this day and age.

What would a 5 Kw/p system cost with say 10 Kwh battery ?

Also, absolutely crucial for me is inverter quality, must emit very little Radio interference, I know some inverter manufacturers were banned in Germany for selling crap. I had my Zappy charge point sent back because it was a junk design and got a wallbox pulsar Plus instead, big difference having a charge point that uses a quality meanwell power supply!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

A 5kwp system with 10kWh installer provided battery should cost in the region of €9-10k. Bear in mind that half of that is the batteries. Going above the basic battery from an installer is of debatable financial sense. It'll massively increase your payback time.

Case in point, the guy who made the recommendation for everyone's favourite rip off merchants just admitted to getting a 3kwp system, Eddi, no battery for.......

€11k!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Received a quote

Modules 340 w JA Mono panels with 25 year efficiency warranty and 10 year manufacturer’s warranty

16 x 340w JA panels Monocrystalline = 5. 4 kwp system Optimisers extra 80 each if needed.

Inverter RHI 5K 48ES Solis hybrid MPPT comes with 5 year warranty 1x Solis’s hybrid inverter Comes with dongle for online monitoring

Mounting Kit Renosol roof mount All Required

Check Meter Emlite M19 1 x Check meter Records all power generated by the solar panels.

Scaffolding As required

All required Electrical Work 1x DC isolators 1x AC isolator 1x Shut of switch

Batteries Dyness 1x Dyness 4.8kwh

Solar Switch for heating hot water through the solar panels with surplus power

1x Eddi water diverter

All required Paperwork Included

Customer to get BER done

Installation Time Approx. 2 days Depending on weather

Grand Total (including VAT) 10,900

Less grant claimed by installer 3,000

Deposit required 2,000

Balance 5,900

Very happy with this quote

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

And your limited by your inverter, the new solis inverters do 5kw from batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Well you should be! One of the better quotes I've seen in awhile. Don't think you'll beat that, or if you do it will be very little.

Just bear in mind @[Deleted User] that for many batteries.....if you do go "heavy metal" on the discharge rates, you can affect the longevity of the battery. i.e. just cause you can discharge at 1C and get 5Kw, you might want the battery to last longer (more cycles) and discharge at 0.5C......albeit that might reduce your max current to 2.5kw.

Just a thought to be aware of incase your building a system in mind. There might be a few gotchas....

These days it shouldn't matter, if a battery is rated at 1 or 2 C it shouldn't effect longevity of running at 1 or 2C. That's of course if the battery is over rated which in many cases they are. Suppose there'd have to be a decent warranty.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking that it probably still doesn't make economic sense though the missus could have the washer and dryer on and dishwasher on if there's reasonable generation.

Consumption for 2020 if I remember correctly was around 9 Mwh, suppose 21 was the same never checked before we switched.

Yeah, maybe your right - I'm probably not as up to date here as I could be. In my own case my own battery is 100% depleted currently by 4pm. So (for me) changing that to 1C wouldn't help me save money. Sure, I might avoid importing a little earlier in the day if I was briefly using 4.5Kw , but the battery would still be empty later on.

Bit like the converse of charging at night rate. Sure I could charge at 5Kw and charge it in 1.5 hrs, but I have from midnight to 8am to get it full, so might as well take it easy on it and let it charge over 6 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

would prob go with the enniskillen crowd here is what I got off them last year- nearly 4k cheaper than most other quotes I got. In fairness I hammered them down!

-Solis Hybrid inverter 5kw to future proof extra panels later date and wifi dongle for inverter app

-4.8KW battery pylontech

-14 panels JA solar 330W on a west facing roof

-eddi water heater for immersion

-Zappi 2 car charger untethered and myenergie hub

7000e after grant net cost to me- Nearest quote was 3-4K ontop of this quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Their prices have gone up since then. €10900 before the grant is a standard quote from them now.

No one is going to hammer them down now as they are out the door with work.

I think it's as much about the fact that @gomamochi1 haggled the hell out of them lol.

I had my install not that long after, before their workload exploded, and didn't get as good a price.

The issue is that there are a lot of dodgy battery manufacturers out there and over rating cells is not uncommon unfortunately.

So lads, around 9 Mwh a year what will solar PV do for me ? sell it to me lol.

This is what 6.2kw got me last year. Hope that helps.

What part of the world are you in. That can sometimes dictate the costs.

So you're only able to use just over half that ? where does the rest go ?

• Advertisement

I just dident use it all. the rest went into heating water. Only to of us in the house any my setup is oversized.

Go big or go home is my view.

I think there may be some confusion as to what Self-consumption of 56% means. i.e. 56% of your consumption was generated by solar. the other 46% was pulled from the grid.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

My stats for the year I "saved" about 800 euro in total. 8.6kwp, SW/NE low angle roof, 10kwh of battery.

Charging the battery on night rate in the winter, Easily covers me to 12am in the summer time.. Im even discharging on night rate in a spell of good weather.. Might as well use it eh?

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118401187/#Comment_118401187

export was about 25% on average over the whole year

I'm in Ireland.

Thing is the larger the array the more I might not be able to use, I get what you're saying though and ideally this would be the way to go especially if there was a decent FIT and allowed export more than 5.5 Kw which in my opinion is really bad.

The problem is more of the seasonal nature of the sun, and the fact that most of use have fixed panels. You have the (obvious) summer/winter differential, but I think you have to really size your arrays with spring/autumn in mind. Have enough panels to get a decent generation in say March. Naturally that equates to over-production for most people in Summer. If you plan for getting 8+ months out of the array then thats a realistic proposition.

Right now today and the last couple of days have been great for production - blue skies all day, and yet yesterday due to the orientation of my panels I produced 4.3Kwhr and my consumption was 30+. That's on a 5.3Kwp setup. Over-producing in summer is just something to live with.

Wish there was a better FIT, but it is what it is, so we just move on and solve the problem with batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Liga33

hi All

We are looking at getting solar panels and reading this thread tells me we are wholly uneducated. We currently have a quote for the panels only the company says a battery is not worth it for our domestic use at this point. Do you recommend solar panels with no battery which I understand means any excess goes back to the grid for free i.e. we are not paid for it.

Welcome all advice for both a Boards and a Solar Panel discussion newbie.

Really should be a sticky/FAQ for this - we talked about it, but haven't gotten around to doing it.

Well Liga33, the first thing to do is somewhat boring job of figuring out what your using. Your bills with ESB/SSE/Bord Gas is the usual start, this will give you an understanding of how much you are using. You can't really size the system you should get without first understanding how much you are using. The average however to give you some (rough) guidance is about 4000-4500 units a year for your average household.

For that type of utilization, you'd be looking at a 4.0 - 5.0 Kwp in panels. More is better with the logic being that while you may not use it now or next week, typically electricity utilization is going to go up with people using electricity more such as buying electric cars. Since people aren't always in the house during the day, some form of storage is needed (battery) and a decent size one for your average house would be 5 Kwhr.

If you were substantially deviant from the average you could change the spec up/down, but 5Kwp in panels and a 5Kwhr battery would solve most peoples need. I'd forgo the hot water diverter......it doesn't payback the cost, but it's also easy to add one in 6 months or a year seperately

My consumptions is around 9 Mwh per year so I'd be looking at a larger battery, maybe 10 Kwh and while that might seem mad hear me out, I can use the battery to store more excess particularly in the brighter months + I have night rate electricity which can charge the battery in winter and use this during the day. Yes the pay back will be longer but there's always a battle between excess and being able to consume.

Perhaps those with more knowledge than me can tell me why this is a good or bad idea ?

Not a bad idea at all. Most regulars on here have the same strategy, including myself. The reality (which is worth setting expectations) is that in winter (nov, Dec, Jan and feb) while you will generate electricity from your panels, you rarely have more than your "base load" to massively charge batteries. So people charge it from night rate and then use the battery to keep the house running during the day when you have day rate running.

Sure, you have losses (approx 10-15%) as in if you put 10kwhr into a battery you won't get 10Kwhr out, but since night rate is generally half the price of day rate, it's economically viable. Expect 9-10 year payback for a battery of that size. Less if you DIY it - maybe 4-5 depending on the price you can setup at

• Advertisement

I'm too cheap for a 10 year pay back lol, in reality I don't think we're there yet in regards to solar pv being very economical, from my point of view of course, just the initial pay out, that's with large storage, I don't think much less storage is a good idea especially if the battery can't give out the amps and the big loads are still pulling from the mains because the battery can't keep up, that screams bad quality in this day and age.

I suppose the other issues is finding space for a 10 Kwh battery.

In reality I need to invest in upgrading the heating first. HP is an interest especially with rumours of 60-80 Deg HP coming to market soon, the efficiency of these remains to be seen but I'l like to get off the oil.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement