Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

So today, Bath are royalty and Leinster aren't. Clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

OK right, listen. I talked some shite last night and boy did I feel amazing at the time. But, cards on the table, no guff now, this is where my thinking really is.

The ECDC is predicting ~200 million Omicron variant cases in the EU, between now early Summer. That will be mirrored in the UK.

I would think now, that the damage that has already been done to the two European Club comps, is only going to be further compounded by Clubs being unwilling or unable to fulfill cross-border fixtures, as we've seen with Bath today.

Now is the time, in my opinion, to void the two EPCR run competitions for 2021/22 and avoid further financial burden of Clubs being compelled to prepare for games that probably will not ever take place.

Let's pull the plug now and go again, with full integrity, in the Autumn.

I'm aware that my reasoning also puts the Six Nations and the remainder of the URC in doubt, but I believe solutions can be reached there to finish those competitions with long term bubbles and single country tournaments.

For instance, playing all of the Six Nations in Twickenham and Wembley and having all Six teams remain in England over a truncated 4 weeks/5 weekends tournament is not the worst idea, especially as you would have the revenue from 1.3 million+ tickets to divvy up between the six unions, all of whom are in dire financial straights.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Blaming the EPCR for the crappy tv service is probably justified in some ways, but I'd like to see some proper joined up thinking from World Rugby around 21st century TV rights. The old days of giving the subscription to Sky or BT or having them on FTA is killing the game. If they could set up a rugby pass style service, similar to URC TV, but inclusive of all club and international rugby north and south of the equator this would be a really attractive proposition to millions of rugby fans.

They could then sell domestic packages to allow each country to show matches involving their home teams on FTA tv, this would grow the game globally, attract a bigger audience, and hopefully build subscriptions to the online subscription service.

Stick up the weekly highlights onto free video streaming platforms like Youtube where people can subscribe to the weekly highlights in a professionally produced show that breaks down all the results and talkingpoints across the major tournaments.

Bigger tournaments like the 6 Nations or the Rugby Chanpionship could be on a higher tier, or also sold as individual PPV games so if I only want to see NZ vs Australia, I pay them a fiver, or a tenner for a weekend pass etc.

EPCR went chasing short term TV money at the expense of long term growth. People are cancelling their satellite and cable subscriptions all over the shop, there's no need to go through these 3rd parties anymore.

There are millions of people who really want to watch these matches and are willing to pay a fair price but cannot access them easily in a legal service so they end up going to illegal streaming sites and get a crappy experience and end up not bothering to follow these sporting leagues

"Now is the time, in my opinion, to void the two EPCR run competitions for 2021/22 and avoid further financial burden of Clubs being compelled to prepare for games that probably will not ever take place."

Taking this at face value, you are assuming that it's financially more beneficial to not participate in the CC than it is to at least try and participate in it. Why?

There are a number of weak links in the revenue stream now, chief among them being gate receipts and TV revenue from games that may not exist.

I'd much rather see the whole thing mothballed and furloughed for the remainder of this season than risk the bankruptcy of the structures which underpin the competition. I really think it has to be called off now to protect it for future years.

As for the Clubs, Leinster really are royalty in the sense that years of success have given us a hefty financial backstop. The same can't be said for all of the 30 odd Clubs that can expect to play in Europe in any given year. We can't ask them to burden more costs without any reward.

It may come down to average sized Clubs temporarily laying off some players and staff, leaving just enough to fulfill their domestic competitions. But better that than bankruptcy and a serious threat to professional Club rugby in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,849 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We did, after they set up the new competition the first period was shared by BT and Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Cancel the Champions Cup, so as to protect it in future years?

What?

Who's going to bail it out, if it bankrupts itself in the process and as a consequence leaves debts to the participant Clubs? Debts that could be make or break for some of those that are privately owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'd like to say toys out of the pram, but this is more like toys out of the pram and then setting the pram on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It could bankrupt itself if it mothballed the competition this year. Massive money already committed to sponsorship and TV rights won't be forgotten about. Reputationally it would be shooting itself in the foot twice over and threaten future TV and sponsor money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I can't believe you're serious about this.

Cancelling the CC means refunding millions of euro of TV money back to the broadcasters, it means zero prospect of any future gate receipts and probably large rebates to sponsors too.

You are winding us up, right?

They would go back to closed door games before they'd even consider cancelling it completely.

I really don't get the fuss, the cancelled game is probably going to have very little effect on Leinster.

Absolutely not.

Cancelling it means sitting down with all stakeholders and making sure everyone lives to fight another day, another season.

Answer me this Former, how would you characterise the condition of the competition right now? The state of it? Will you stand over playing it out any which way at all, with continuous rejigging and truncating and arbitrary treatment of Clubs? Tell me how much can the word Sport be stretched until its completely gone out of it?

I don't remember you being this vociferous about the integrity of the competition when Leinster got a bye in a knock out round last year, which is much more impactful than a pool game being canned.

The competition is a mess. Alas, that's what it is. They still need to play it, cause they can't afford not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

What is the point in responding to someone who has no idea what they are talking about and isn't interested in trying to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

in all seriousness, when Toulon were literally kicked out last year, for an issue very similar to Leinster's, did you then want the competition stopped?

Take off the blue tinted glasses of outage and actually think

So what's your take on the state of play Einstein?

The RTÉ sport weekly rugby podcast was posted about an hour ago.

Maybe some of the posters here ought to take a listen to it from about time index 26:00 onwards, to challenge some of the confirmation bias.

If you aren't interested in what I have to say, maybe it'll sound more palatable from those analysts and writers.

I'm done with the topic anyway for now, let the dice fall as they may for the remainder of the season and the future of the competition. If it does disappear, it will be in no small part down to the lack of any passion among the grassroots support, to save it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭ersatz

Ah, here's me thinking you're talking about Leinster going to Europe to ask for (petition, like kids asking permission from the priest) a reconsideration of the original decision, but actually you meant Leinster collecting signatures on Grafton St. I don't think these French lads will care how many signatures Leinster collect and the threat of war and total annihilation will be more effective. But sure, go ahead and collect as many signatures as you can.😎

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Shot in the dark here, and I can't remember if I've asked this before, but would anyone have a copy of Leinster semi-final and final games in 2013 from the Challenge Cup? So, against Biarritz and Stade Francais. My usual place doesn't have it anymore and nobody has any reseeds. Figure one of you has to have it somewhere. I used to have it on an old HD which failed.

[Got sorted on this, huge thank you to the poster in question!]

Post edited by Dave_The_Sheep on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

In what way? They had a positive case in their squad and Leinster didnt.

It wasn't very similar as Toulon were the reason for the cancellation then. Both teams had outbreaks in their squad this time. The only question that remains is why were Wasps allowed play the week earlier when they literally had positive cases in their XV as little as 24 hours before the match.

There seems to be a desperate attempt to force this Toulon comparison in an obnoxious attempt from Irish fans who think by slamming the Irish team in this case they will come across as realistic...

The Toulon comparison is bogus.

On the first weekend of April last, case numbers in both Ireland and France were relatively low and public health measures were keeping a lid on them pending the increase in vaccination rollout.

When Toulon got canned for one positive case, that was the rule everyone signed up to and it would have been dangerous to do otherwise. And for the record, I'd have rather seen the match played in all circumstances.

What has happened to Leinster is that all sorts of teams have had multiple positive cases, but are being treated differently at the whim of an organiser disregarding their own rules as they go along and using external factors as an excuse.

All those recent games called off should be 28-0 per the rules or they should all be 0-0 with points for the draw awarded accordingly, not one and also the other.

I must have missed the memo about it becoming uncool to want to back your own team against a bunch of pencil pushers in thrall to the private owners in France and England. What a pity.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Assuming your source is ATT? Surprised their threads for it stop at 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Please, please, please for the love of god, stop engaging with this BS. This isn’t a discussion or a debate based on facts. It’s like talking with an anti vaxer. No matter what you say, nothing will change his opinion. Leave him to it and move on. Hopefully we still have a game this week. Remember those?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Only in that case it’s the Anti you know what using facts ;)

Post edited by UAEguy2020 on

"I must have missed the memo about it becoming uncool to want to back your own team against a bunch of pencil pushers in thrall to the private owners in France and England. What a pity."

The last I'll say on this, but you keep saying "pencil pushers / rugby administrators". You seem unaware that there were 7 independent CMO's on the Match Risk Assessment Committee.

Now anyone reckon this'll be a good test for Leinster against a big, physical team? Any ideas how close to full strength Montpellier are likely to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Indeed, yes. I have the tracker from those threads, but nothing moving I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

Jaysus there is some awful guff in this thread.

I'd say Montpellier could be in for some awful hammering on Sunday.

Advertisement