Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I know enough that the COVID vaccines don't change the body for the worse as that poster tries to imply, continually.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

The first ever vaccine with no side effects? Whilst also being the most fast tracked ever?

can you answer my small sized brain one question? Why does the flu jab make up change every year?

Yeah...none of those 'quotes' are attributable to me...but go ahead.

Post edited by Penfailed on

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Sure, there's a vaccine thread if you want to dig into it (the flu vaccine changes every 6 months at least, often more often, depending on the dominant strains of influenza that are circulating in each hemisphere).

• Advertisement

Okay so you need a new vaccine for new variants, got it, makes sense I’ll go get another alpha themed Pfizer jab now.

Only if there's vaccine escape (influenza is a highly mutagenic virus so the vaccine usually contains 3-4 different strains at once), SARS-COV2 has remained remarkably stable so far with original virus (pre-Alpha) vaccines remaining highly effective, likely due to the targeting of the spike protein.

But as said, questions should be asked in the Vaccine megathread instead of here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,150 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@astrofool and @TalleyRand83 argue your points without the personal abuse if you wish to keep posting in this thread. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I really am curious as to what 2022 will hold for us.

Same **** as usual it would seem

Just ignore it as best you can. All the successful people who enjoy life I know are doing that as am I.

I shouldn’t even look at these threads as some posters would swear we’re in the midst of the Black Plague…..ignore it and do minimum polite mask wearing, the best weapon any rational person has now to move on. It’ll be classed endemic before height of summer and then it’s cold / flu / covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Because the influenza virus mutates. Something a lot on here apparently did not surprisingly seem to know as they seem to believe they were promised that a single regime of a vaccine would give them sterilising immunity to a Covid virus that was known before vaccines were available, could, and had actually mutated.

You could say that flu vaccine, which change practically yearly are even more fast tracked than the Covid vaccines were, but nobody has a problem with that for some strange reason.

“I know I am self aware, therefore I am smarter” and said without a hint of irony. Fuppin hell.

This may come as a surprise to you but I didn't even know that thread existed. This thread is the only one in the Covid forum that I post in. There are only so many hours in the day and it can be difficult to keep up with this one thread nevermind trying to keep up with them all. There was one stage over Christmas that I was over twenty pages behind in here. I'm only speaking for myself but it's got nothing to do with my mindset that I didn't post in that thread and more to do with the fact that I've got a life to live outside of Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

J&J gave me 9 hours in A & E and a myocarditis diagnosis.

Thank you for telling me that didn't happen though, doctor. Was confused for a moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

And what’s worse is the Government are trying to sweep these injuries under the carpet, offer no medical exemption to the coerced Covid Cert & no redress scheme to those injured all the while the companies who made the product aren’t liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭aziz

I had the j&j as well,and no way will I take another

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I had moderna and tbh the worst I had was a swollen arm.

Have to get my booster next week which just annoys the **** out of me as they are already coming out with the 4th dose story.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I won't be taking a fourth no more than I take the annual flu vaccine. Simply put, I don't need it, don't get any benefit from it, and Omicron is little more than a mild cold for the vast majority of people.

That's not to say that I think that it shouldn't be available to those who want it, but it need to become a voluntary thing like every other covid measure (including masks).

We cannot let this country slide into a position where businesses are closed, people put out of work, told to stay away from others and wear masks every winter just because people get the sniffles and the HSE still can't manage the health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The WHO and others are pushing back against the potential perpetual booster approach but we may see it here now for at risk groups. The onus is on vaccine manufacturers to come up with something longer lasting with wider protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭foxsake

the side effects that some have suffered are not "for the worse"? a bold claim.

Anyway you continually have misrepresented what i was said in that post - it's not worth discussing with you.

Post below is spot on accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Welcome to the vaccination and booster thread!

Regarding restrictions: if Nphet will give advice about lifting restrictions on january 20 prior to implementation on january 30 there will be very little time for case and especially hospitalisation numbers to drop as it is only 7 days away. I would guess they would like the restrictions to stay as they are even though numbers are likely to drop further from 20 to 30 january. The government could sell that as the advice given on which they base their decision. Watch that space!

Oh, and can we talk some more about vaccinations and boosters please?! There is very little mention of those topics..😆

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

I take your point that there are separate vax/booster threads but their discussion is also related to the relaxation of restrictions since we were all sold on the promise that vaccines were the "the way out of this".

Personally I can imagine the 8pm curfew being extended to 10pm with night clubs staying closed for the foreseeable, 'just in case'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,768 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I believe by law you don't have to disclose your vaccination status to your employer in Ireland, maybe I am wrong?

With the new isolation rules regarding less days isolating with the booster, are people who need to stay out of work telling employers whether they are boosted or not by the number of days they need off?

Which in effect is telling your employer whether you are vaccinated or not?

I have not been in this situation but it was a thought i had, I could be completely wrong so happy to delete if I am wrong.

Well yes, everything is related by x degrees of separation. But to talk about the efficacy/side effects alone has very little bearance on lifting restrictions and there are separate threads on those, wouldnt you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I think the first booster was probably needed, anything after that is flogging a dead horse.

I think after this wave barring any nasty mutations COVID will become endemic to winter and only the at risk groups will be given annual boosters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

All the restrictions need to be lifted at the end of the month simple as that and then we need to just get on with living. People can then make their own choices on whether to wear a mask or not or whether they want to go to pubs or nightclubs or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭Dickie10

id say from februaruy 1st we will have 10pm curfew, thats what NYPHET will be happy with as its people in restauraunts who dont behave same way as people on a big sesh. so they will be happy enough to bring that in but id say everything else in hospitality offical rules will stay the same. cant see nightclubs open til mid june. they will be on about saving summer, unfortunatley we could see the nightclubs shut in late october and 10pm curfew again next winter. that would suit the medics really well, no late night A and E incidents, drunken violence after nightclubs etc. You get the feeling medics would be happy to see an 11pm curfew end of story for all hospitality in ireland. They believe people should just sit at a table drink 2 or 3 glasses of wine or 2 or 3 bottles of beer and head home, or go for dinner and glass of wine and home by 11pm. they seem to not be bothered as much with younger people having parties in houses where they can drink bottles of wine and vodka and take ecstasy and coke all night, seem happier with that than having it happen in a nightclub. I would say the likes of Galway Race week really drives them mad, where you have all ages acting like teenagers, 17-50 year olds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭bloopy

Judging by the report on the Journal, it looks like 5 weeks from the end of this month before we get back to what we had on the Oct 22nd reopening.

There appears to be no plans so far to remove masks or covid certs.

Advertisement