Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish protocol.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno what it says about my own resting, automatic biases that looking at the article's photo I had a suspicion who the Leave campaigner was in that photo 🤦

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users Posts: 69,154 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Jeffrey issues another deadline. I think the real reason is further down the article here:

campaigning for Northern Ireland Assembly elections will effectively commence from March,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'll be fascinated to see how the DUP's election literature spins "Help us destroy the SME sector in glorious loyalist brotherhood"

• Advertisement

It will do what Unionist politicians and some Unionists here do...it will play up the sense of victimhood...this time it will be they are the victims of Dublin, Brussels and London.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Seems like a reasonable strategy for them (putting myself in their shoes). Would imagine the hope is to take back and/or get out the vote of a discouraged Unionist hardline that is píssed off with them. So if we are still at status-quo in these EU-UK negotiations over NI protocol in the run up towards elections (neither UK or EU have made moves to escalate the dispute/break the deadlock) they can collapse the NI assembly then and make a lot of hue and cry about the NIP and "enemies" of Unionism/traitors etc. + get some credit for being strong from that segment of voters. Maybe they feel the less hardline Unionist voters are just going to hammer them in any upcoming vote for their many f-ckups which will still be in recent memory no matter what they do now.

DUP are now going to be made to sh**e or get off the pot before an election...by fellow Unionists.

...and still no hint of an alternative and staring down the barrel of Westminster taking over if they won't implement.

• Advertisement

Poor Jamie needs to spend less time watching TV legal dramas and more time reading books.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Unionists are like fish in a shrinking pond. Unionist politics can't reconcile itself with its loss of supremacy, and loss of its majority. The UUP understand that Unionism needs to widen its appeal to non-unionists for the North to retain UK jurisdiction but gets 'lundyfied' relentlessly from the section of unionism that hasn't reconciled itself with the GFA never mind the 21st Century.

Regardless of the political machinations in the North, Ireland's integration economically, socially, and psychologically continues apace. Political unification of Ireland will be the final piece of the puzzle.

Unionism being driven back to channel Craig and Brookeborough and the worst of suprematist thinking.

To be fair, many Patricians said the same about the Plebeians, and Rome fell a few centuries later. So ya know, there is justified concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

“There was a clear understanding from the 1922 Committee, that the protocol was imposed upon Northern Ireland without the support of its people

Not unlike like that Brexit thing though...

Off-topic, but it is kinda disappointing that the two largest voices in this thread are no more; one banned, the other apparently closed their account (or was sitebanned, I guess?). Not that their spats were always entertaining but it made for an interesting clash of perspectives that in many respects, got to the heart of the problem when it comes to Irish political ideologies.

"Without the support of its people?" Jeffrey? Citation needed. Not a single poll backs this statement up; well. Bar hardline unionism which, I suppose, the DUP is brazenly courting at the moment, at the expense of everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I like Liz Truss' joke about the British apples and also the way she grins at her own joke.

On the DUP, I recall Paisley Snr. used to rant about "The People of Ulster" and what they wanted in his pomp, and he didn't mean anyone who might not be in full accord with a hard line Unionist William Ulsterman position on everything! I think given UK govt.'s behaviour + usage of Unionists as a willing weapon that NI possibly needs some sort of vote on Protocol to clear the air. Lets see exactly how much support there is up there for destroying it, ending NIs special status post Brexit & likely launching a UK-EU trade war with a real vote rather than a poll. Hopefully next election will act as a sort of proxy if DUP/others of that view make it about NI Protocol.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Apologies for the barrage of tweets but I felt they were necessary for the post...

Manufacturing NI have published their latest Brexit tracker report which asks manufacturers in NI about their experiences and what actions should be taken to improve the sector in NI. The latest survey was taken since the new year and reflects on the experiences in 2021. 163 responses received from businesses of all sizes which trade locally and internationally.

Of the 163 companies, they have a total of 1115 vacant positions which they are having difficulties in filling.

Seemingly the biggest issue relating to the protocol is down to the reliability of supplies from GB suppliers...

The above contrasts with two thirds of companies finding supplies from the EU are business as usual. However...

In terms of sales into GB, things look good...

...whilst sales to the EU look even better...

About 40% of firms reckon that the protocol is not having an impact on their business (compared to only 23% last July). Conversely, the number of firms who face disruption is deom from 41% last July to 34% now.

The report concludes that whilst a fifth of firms would like the protocol replaced, they cannot say what it would be replaced with. About 65% of firms see the protocol as something that will be staying put and want to see improvements to trading with it. There is a role here for the EU and UK to educate both suppliers and buyers in order to make trading easier. There is also a role here for the NI executive to secure new opportunites given the unique position NI finds itself in.

The above distinctly contradicts the nonsense coming from both the DUP and the London government. Hopefully Šefčovič will show the report to Truss when they meet next.

More on Manufacturing NI...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The unionist position is increasingly hard to understand. What's the best case scenario for them? If there was any kind of a move towards a hard border it'd genuinely be a disaster for unionism, it'd really galvanise nationalism in a way that might never happen otherwise. The protocol actually offers a chance for some additional prosperity (something that is necessary for the union to endure) and it doesn't threaten the constitutional status at all.

They should be very careful what they wish for. A lot of them seem to be acting like its 40 years ago and there was a substantial unionist majority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

Poots pulls the pin and drops checks on goods into NI. And the uk government seem to be ok with it.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0202/1277443-ni-checks/

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

UK will see EU forced to act rather than negotiate, making them the bad boy and meaning the UK can keep their word that they never erected border infrastructure themselves etc. They will blame the trade war on the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mattser

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Toys thrown out of the DUP pram when they don't get their way. What a surprise.

It's beyond transparent at this stage; the hostility the DUP have towards its own region's self-governance, alongside the party's Quisling-like tactics to appear "loyal" towards the Union at all costs. The continued existence of the DUP as a powerful force in NI is becoming antithetical to the democratic norms of NI. They are a destructive force and with luck, the middle ground of the unionist voting bloc will see them as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I dunno though, the last time the DUP looked like they were in trouble and the UUP were publicly coming out against them, a Big Boy Westminister election came around, and the usual deals about pulling other Unionist candidates from marginal areas were done and everyone settled into the traditional sectarian head count.

The cynic in me says faced with the prospect of a Nationalist majority in the Assembly (the Unionist majority was only 40-39 last time around) if the Unionist vote is sufficiently fractured, the same thing will happen again.

Yeah you'd wonder if they cooked idea up together or at least DUP ran it by the UK govt. first.

Boris Johnson seems safe, there's a massive crisis going on that will suck all the EUs attention away so could be a good time for them to finally salami-slice the NI protocol away to zero now by just abrogating it and daring the EU to do something rather than using a gimmick like "Article 16".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

That would raise the question of whether the UK government is in control of its own territory or whether it can be tusted to honour its commitments in international negotiations or treaties.

I suppose they are "in control" if they are aware of what is happening and are deciding to stand back and let it play out for their own reasons. Think I read an RTE article/report earlier where they claim they didn't know the DUP would try this tactic.

As regards their good faith/honour & people trusting them I think we can speculate they don't believe it is that important in the balance, and the cost-benefit calculus for breaking the agreements they make is probably based on other factors.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Earlier on the BBC news they said checks were still going ahead. General figures given were 85% no checks, 12% paperwork checks and 3% physical inspection.

Note re the 3% : phytosanction checks existed before Brexit eg: any farm equipment that still had mud on it was sent back on the next ferry.

Advertisement