Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin rail service before DART

Options
  • 04-01-2022 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

I’d be grateful for anyone’s recollections. How frequent was the service? Was it unreliable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a fair few old reminiscences on here, but extensively from users that have been banned! It is nearing 40 years now since DART started so those who remember using it as a commuter are going to be approaching retirement age.

In the latter years it was operated by early 50s former DMUs that had had their power trains removed and converted to push-pull operation; and the carriage interiors removed and replaced with basically stacking parish hall chairs bolted down both sides. It was exceptionally unreliable and train lengths depended on what stock could be bodged in to working on a given day. The introduction of Maynooth services in late 1981 would have reduced the pool even more.

There were slightly fewer stations - e.g Salthill had closed in the 60s and was reopened for DART. Journey times were quite similar or marginally quicker; if the trains ran to schedule that is - the faster acceleration of electric trains being cancelled out with more stops.

Can't find a timetable for frequency, but DART was built to allow 10 minute which was never possible before between signalling and lack of stock. However for most of its life it hasn't run at a 10 minute frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

Whatever about timetable headways and advertised running times, the service pre DART was unreliable. Trains got cancelled or delayed often, and while L1011 is correct about the grim interiors of the gutted 1950s railcars, there were some Park Royals running on the coastal side that were more welcome if they appeared. There was no Sunday service except in July and August. BBC’s Nationwide programme did an item during the construction of DART starting with - “You might think this is Russian Hard Class. In fact it is in Dublin” and making reference to the wiseacres who thought having a railway at all was a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Thanks a lot for your generous reply.

I had seen this(https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/Push-pull_train_%28interior%29%2C_Drogheda_%28geograph_2857948%29.jpg) picture on Wikipedia, but my eye was caught by the graffiti. I’m glad you drew my attention to the seats. Good lord, that’s grim!

Am I right, then, in thinking comfort and reliability were the gains from DART, rather than frequency? As far as I am aware, Colm McCarthy opposed the project. Given that the track was already in place and the existing rolling stock at the end of its working life, I wonder what exactly there was to oppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Very interesting.

I imagine eyes lit up on seeing Park Royals coming into view. What do you mean by running coastal side? Surely that doesn’t mean they only ran going south?!

Thanks for the tidbit about BBC. I’ll be repeating that!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I used to get the old diesel trains into secondary school back into the day. A very different experience to the DART which is better in every way that counts. I remember the family taking the Dart when it opened from Dalkey to Howth and back to Bray then back to Dalkey, quite a trip! They were unreliable. One lasting memory I have is of the derailment in Dalkey, I was quite small then but remember it being the only thing my parents talked about for weeks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Comfort, reliability and cleanliness - the C class / ur-201 class locos may have stopped covering themselves in oil when the GM engines were installed, but clean they were not - would have been the main gains. Lower running costs allowed longer service hours too.

Colm McCarthy has been wrong so often about public transport projects I'm astounded anyone asks his opinion anymore.

The Park Royals would usually have done longer distance suburban and/or Maynooth, Coastal would refer to Howth-Bray-Howth rather than, say, Connolly-Drogheda. Oldest coaching stock I can actually remember being on in revenue service.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

Not only were they dirty, uncomfortable and unreliable, there were also some very slack working arrangements, as the investigation into the accident at Gormanstown in 1974 uncovered.

The coastal side was Dundalk-Dublin-Wicklow with the branch to Howth. Maynooth line only came into operation in November 1981 and was Push-Pull only for at least a year until a crossover was reinstated at Maynooth.

The Push Pulls definitely ran to Drogheda. Sometime in 1980 I went out via the 1100 Enterprise to Drogheda in NIR’s Mark II stock and came back via Push Pull. Half an hour one way, one hour return. I was in the driving trailer and the blinds were up giving me a panoramic view in reverse!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

I remember those awful orange plastic seats. I also remember going to work on the first day of the major snow event in the 1980s. We were told to leave around lunchtime and I think I got one of the last Northbound trains... One of those ones. At one point the train stopped somewhere between stations and we sat there for ages with the train swaying from side to side and snow pouring in the broken windows (the smaller windows at the top).

Happy days!

• Advertisement

The absolute crap stock really all died off in the early 80s as the MkIIIs came in from 84 also. The DMU-derived push pull carriages and remaining wooden / wood framed carriages could go.

That allowed pretty much everything except the Greystones shuttle to be operated by Park Royals or newer; and those went with the 2600s in the early 90s.

The situation we have now of heavily refurbished early 80s EMU stock being the oldest on the network (and still very reliable); with those to be replaced soon and everything else newer really is incomparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

They were awful. I remember some had toilets. Grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

some of the old rolling stock continued to provide the shuttle service to Greystones for many years after the Dart was launched until it was scrapped for safety reasons - Greystonians referred to it as the Scuttle. That service was then operated by leased NI stock for few years in the 90s before being discontinued altogether (or replaced by a bus service possibly - either way the Dart was eventually extended)

The units for the Greystones Shuttle at least got 'new' seats to replace the school stacking chair crud.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

Colm McCarthy, there is only one rule when dealing with this fool: EVERYTHING HE STATES IS BULLSHIT.

He was already a dinosaur in the early 1970s, in 2020 he is our own version of Jurrasic Park. Even so, all the Alkies and Cokeheads in Irish 'journalism'/TV/Radio still quote him like he is the only authority on how to run a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,094 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

you are almost correct.

he is centuries more of a dinosaur then our version of Jurassic Park.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Were they really just chairs from some secondary school bolted to the floor? They look absolutely awful.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Is there any evidence online of Colm McCarthy opposing the DART? Old newspaper cuttings, archive pieces, anything.

His opposition to the Luas in the early 2000s is widely available but it would be good to have some evidence of the DART too.

When you look back on it, we really were in a very bad place when it came to infrastructure. As much as we justifiably give out about stuff these days, there is at least fairly high tech, modern infrastructure in place. In the late 70s you had very poor train/rail infrastructure, absolutely terrible road infrastructure and one of the worst telecommunications networks in Western Europe.

• Advertisement

i would agree.

we are certainly in a much much better place now, however of course there is still a hell of a lot of work to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You could smoke as well so it was a foggy experience. The DART was always non smoking from day 1

The generators in the AEC push pulls have tendency to go on fire which ended a few sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I used to get the trains to/from School in the late 70's (Raheny to Landsdown Road). An Eclectic mix of stock, My favourite were the the corridor coaches.

I also remember, Tara (and all stations south of it) closing early saturday afternoon's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭cml387

This is from the Irish Times Dec 8th 1978. The discussion took place at a meeting of the "Social Inquiry Society Of Ireland".

Although he mentions an "Underground" system, the tenor of the debate was very much against the proposed rapid transit system, and in favour of a busway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The DART project or Dublin Rail Rapid Transit project as it was at the time proposed two tunnels:

• A tunnel starting branching off at Sandymount to a Broadstone to Liffey Junction (the Blanchardstown line)
    • A tunnel from Heuston under the Quays and then joining the Belfast line at East Wall (the Ronanstown line)

Little has changed really, 50 years later the plan is much the same, except its a horrible hybrid mess of tram/metro/train.

The two usual suspects in Colm McCarthy and Sean Barrett hate rail investment, the DART covered its running costs for many years in the 1990's which they will never acknowledge as an outstanding success for a system which was only a third built.

Going further back pre DART stations had toilets, even little least used Seapoint

Basically no weekend service at all except the Summer

That first morning in July 1984 must have been an experience to jump from the 1950's to 1980's (evening wasn't great as not enough drivers)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I read recently that Amtrak in the US did similar in the 80s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budd_Metroliner

They ordered a large batch of coaches (Amfleet) based on a EMU design that their predecessors had ordered. The EMUs turned out to be unreliable but structurally sound... unlike the AEC 2600s! So the traction equipment was removed and they were converted to control cars for the Amfleet sets.

Yes they were intended for the Metroliner EMUs between Boston and Washington. They became the Amfleet cars and having rode them many time they were excellent and comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Tippman24

I remember Vincent Brown on some television show at the time saying that the electrification of the line was a waste of time. he was stating that the line should be left as diesel-electric locomotion line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

• Advertisement

Before it opened the test running of the new trains during the early mornings was a revelation! The gleaming green livery and they made so little sound. I can clearly recall the first one I saw passing over Talbot Street. Was just fantastic compared to what was being used before.

Advertisement