Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Shane O’Curry asking Joe “how do I know you’re not a paedophile?” Is hard to beat.

joe asking Blindboy Boat Club “is dat yer real voice?” Only to be rebuffed “fairly lively” so to speak was good too.

Nigerian Embassy “I will slash de tyres” and “don’t do de accent” was good.

the argument with Cllr. Seamus Trainor “don’t you be givin’ me any of rest auld guff” and “I’ll calm down if you calm down” (when Trainor was perfectly calm and schooling Duffy) was gold.

de RioGarda…..

so much gold.

I really hope Duffy doesn’t tackle the Tullamore story today.

• KATIE back, Joe must be isolating

The terrible murder

Why wimmens are absolutely terrified of bad bad bad men. Men are terrible peepul. They are awful human beings. They should be cancelled.

No Joe?

A break-een after 3 days. De creatur must be shattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Today, Katie is in the chair. Joe exhausted after working 3 days in a row. Maybe there is an apology to be read out?

Today:

The horrific murder in Tullamore and women generally being made feel uncomfortable in public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Bad bad bastard men Shure shoot us all

• Registered Users Posts: 13,140 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Joe must be off closing offies in Cork or stocking up on cans in Newry to gargle on Dollymount Strand so Katie is in today.

• The murder in Tullamore and general woman's safety after dark.
    • And also, how most men perceive their own behaviors and how they can perceived in relations such circumstances.

Given today's host and the topics on hand, this has the makings of being exceptionally captivating listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭leath_dub

there'll be no comedy today, that's for sure. I'd like to think that Joe realised that he wouldn't have the sensitivity to deal with htat tragedy in Tullamore, so stepped aside to let Katie take the reins. But knowing what a self-important egomaniaac buffoon he is he prpbably taken today off because of the Covid (Clontarf is not an Island!), some TV work or out doing some research on his new buke- "The dead childers of the Noyeks Fire"

Katie was right about this subject being exhausting. The constant male-bashing and the consistent pushing of this narrative that every single male on the planet is a likely rapist and murderer is exhausting.

My deepest sympathies are with the family of the victim who lost her life at what looks like the hands of a mentally unstable person.

That said, had this person killed a young man, it would not I suspect generate a fraction of the coverage this killing has done. Men are statistically far more likely to be killed in a violent crime than women and that’s something we rarely hear in the coverage of these crimes.

#JustSayin’

• I’d say Joe got a phone call asking him to test positive for bollix-ignorance and not to turn up due to the sensitivity of today’s subject matter. Katie is proving herself to be sensitive, but so would other staffers be too when it comes to this kind of thing. Katie allows cawlurs to speak uninterrupted where appropriate. When Joe interrupts it is not where appropriate, at best all he does is reset a wandering cawlur back to start all over again or totally confuse them and the listener.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

You can't ignore the fact that if you're a woman you're way more at risk of a random attack or worse. I go running at night time and have very little fear for my safety... because I'm male. Every woman in the country who goes running or walking must be having some bit of fear after hearing the news

• Registered Users Posts: 26,981 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Last seen heading to da border to stock up on Beer , so to speak 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,630 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RIP to the woman murdered.

I hope today that the questions are asked on whoy this person was able to kill, if the person had been reported to authorities previously whoy this wasn't acted on and that the entire show isn't an 'all men are serial killers' so to speak episode for 2 weeks.

Independent.ie reported the suspect had 'an alcohol problem'.

It is understood the suspect has an alcohol problem and has been living in the area for 20 years.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/gardai-vow-no-stone-will-be-left-unturned-in-murder-investigation-of-teacher-ashling-murphy-23-killed-on-popular-tullamore-jogging-route-41234834.html

• At least they have the prime suspect in custody and as he is suspected to be an immense danger to humanity he is not going to see freedom for a long time. I’ll make it clear I’m not suggesting to predict the outcome to any court case here, but one way or the other Tullamore will be a lot safer for a while.

M

RTE reporting the suspect has been suspected of being involved in previous violent incidents but that it was a random attack. Should he have been on the streets?

Gardaí said the suspect is well-known to them and has been suspected of being involved in previous violent incidents.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0113/1273394-tullamore-murder-investigation/

Awful situation, just shocking, I was in Tullamore earlier and the atmosphere Grim .

I hope today's show is not going to go down the world is a dangerous place for women. This was a random attack by an individual with a History of Violent Criminality in Tullamore , I'll leave it at that .

I seriously doubt anyone in ore-tea-eee has the balls to tell Joe what and what not to do. The power of Joe

I suspect after he lambasted the Gala man yesterday he did a deal for a few slabs off air and just got completely wasted last night and has to take the day off

I agree , the suspect known to Gardai , long unpleasnt history in Tullamore.

Joe got wind (nothing new there, so to speak) , that Katie was free for a few weeks, her own late debate show cancelled temporarily due to covid concerns for staff and Guests .

Podcasts still haven't been updated since 6th Jan.... every other RTE show have theirs updated immediately

Must be some joke of an operation behind the scenes in loiveloine. I'd imagine turnover in the team is high given what they have to put up with

• Advertisement
    M

Terrible, Awful, Shocking Variant Cawlur (OmniShambles)

Could be more to do with management thinking , with can't upload this Shyte Cawlur 😁

M

Today is the 10th anniversary of the joyriding on to the rocks sinking of the Costa Concordia that killed 32 people, surprised Joe wasn't in today to chat about the colour of the sea when the boat sank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Being reminded of those little nuggets from time to time warms the cockles of me heart sotospeak.

This often thus.

You would think that one person (or one team) would be responsible for uploading them collectively across the station on a daily basis? But no, in RTÉ you probably have one person (or more) responsible for uploading the podcast for every show…..and he or she is on holidays until March probably knowing RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,095 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I hope beyond hope that the Gardaí will book charges against the suspect in the murder of Ashling Murphy in the next 7 minutes, in order that the case cannot be discussed in the media any further.

Because I just don't think the nation needs the meaningless platitudes and empty rhetoric that will come from a typical Liveline discussion of the incident. It won't bring her back, it won't console her family, let's just have a day of silent dignity for the poor young woman and sit with the awfulness of it, which cannot be lessened by the amateur psychology of Joe effing Duffy.

• I’d say he had way more than an alcohol problem. Most such people just don’t go around purposefully carrying weapons with a notion to commit horrendous atrocities on others. He is obviously done one who should never have been free to walk about, but sadly like with many others before him, it’s only when the most deadly crime has been committed that the law allows for lock-up.

• Advertisement

We really don't Katie

Advertisement