Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Prodigy (animated children's series)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Jankum Pog did spend time on Tellar, and mentioned travelling on a sleeper ship to get to wherever it is they are. So he's used to alpha quadrant species. Though that still only covers a few small aspects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well that was a lot of fun. Shame to go on hiatus so soon after the big reveal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,188 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Back today. Liked that episode.

Thought it was a nice use of crewmembers who've passed. And dedication at the end. Forgot Rene Auberjonois had died. I assume they got Nichelle and Gates to record new material.

So did Dal pretty much the Kobayashi Maru, assuming he hadn't put his feet up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

6: Oh wow, I had big feels from that episode!

I was actually all kinds of hyped at the start and getting excited with the intro music so I thought I might be setting an unrealistic level for myself but then.. I wasn't expecting the episode to go that way. Even seeing the title, I was like.. "ah well.. I've hyped this up too much now"

Big Nostalgia! Whew!

Awe damn but those feels for Nimoy, Doohan and Auberjonois! Great to have Nichols and McFadden too!

Good hook at the end too with

the mystery invasion! Also Chakotay!!!

Plus now, if I remember that map properly, they're in the Gamma quadrant!! 😲

Credits message and music was tops too.

All that in 24mins!

oh yeah and..

WTF with Murf!

😲

Same here. Thought to myself at the start, I'm getting way too excited, I'm just setting myself up for disappointment but that was a fantastic episode. Also the first one that really felt like Star Trek as opposed to a more generic space adventure.

Janeway snarkily offering Dal the game from "The Game" was one of my favourite moments.

Post edited by Stark on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Decided to try this out today and have watched all 6 episodes to-date over the afternoon (it's been a slow day! 😁)

I prefer Lower Decks, but this is actually pretty good with enough respect and references to canon Trek (like that other show) to make it enjoyable and feel a part of the universe. Enjoying the unravelling mystery as to the history of the ship as well as the character development for (some of) the kids.

Liking it.. will watch more! It's a pity Picard and Discovery got it so wrong!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I thought it was a decent episode. I'll concede I was initially annoyed about how thick the laid on the references to other series characters, but it passed and could soak in the cheesiness of all the old quotes. But it did manage to keep the old staple theme of how to deal with a no-win scenario at the core of the episode.

In terms of the overall series, it still seems a little confused on what it's meant to be and who's meant to be the target audience. The prior episodes had very little Trek elements to it, but this episode goes all in. Equally some episodes are generic shallow adventure fare, but this focusses on a more philosophical issue, one that'll be easily lost on younger audiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭eadrom

Yeah, not really sure who this is aimed at. I have a 12 year old nephew and I'm pretty sure it would just be too childish for him. If he was 2 years younger I don't think he would put up with slower scenes and Star Trek lore-dumps. Seems neither exciting nor thoughtful enough.

To a similar extent I'm watching it out of interest as a Star Trek fan, but it's all a little too "Evil Star Empire" and battle-droids for my tastes.

This latest episode was pretty good though (more Star Trek stuff!). Wasn't crazy about the choice they made to just use straight-up audio clips for the old characters, some of them had a seemingly deliberate amount of 'recording' static or pitch changes. I'm sure there was a choice made not to try and blend them together or create "new" dialogue but I found it quite distracting. Although maybe they're wisely avoiding an uncanny audio valley if they went the other way.

Overall the show seems fine so far, but only fine. I'd be interested to know who's tuning into this outside of the TNG-era veterans who'd watch wet paint dry if it said Star Trek on the tin.

I wouldn't underestimate kids and their ability to enjoy a slower more philosophical episode. I was 8 afaik when TNG first started airing on RTE and would have been about 12 by the time I'd caught up with the later seasons on Sky. While DS9 would have been too mature for my tastes at the time, I remember being completely obsessed with TNG.

That said, a lot of the episodes do seem aimed at very young children so yeah hard to see where the target is. Tbh, I think the likes of Discovery is probably better targeted to that 8 - 15 demographic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I enjoyed that episode. Some nice nostalgia in it.

I did think it strange the first time do when Dale or whatever his name is picks his crew and there is no engineer on it but there is a security officer lol. I must say I thought ODO did not look quite right but I just put that to his shape-shifting lol. I thought Scotty looked the best. Did he ace the Kobayashi Maru after 100+ attempts at it? Yes he had but then destroyed the Enterprise by being clumsy lol so he failed again.

It's nice that they are in the Gamma Quadrant now. I wonder will we come across any familier races there and will the Wormhole be there eventual route home to the Alpha Quadrant?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

I was thinking similar about where they have arrived but not sure. They might just want to explore.

The show seems to be keeping fairly independent and building this family who .. even though the ship and Janeway holo might call it home.. might not want

to go to the Alpha quadrant.. I got that feeling from the earlier episodes in the Delta quadrant too. At least from Dal

They really should've just set this in the Alpha quadrant instead of having it get confusing with how some of these things are happening. Like they're now supposedly in the Delta quadrant where they meet a Ferengi that supposedly knows about the mines in the Gamma quadrant to the point she sold Dal to them?

7: Oh now that was a good episode!

Really liked how Janeway was like

We Gotta Talk about the Prime Directive .. or maybe it was first contact she said. Either way I was all like.. TOO RIGHT WE DO! 😁

and then when

the Ferengi Woman turned up! I was like YUHS!.. I knew they'd come along! 🙂 .. Also nods to the writers on using the rules!

Mostly though, I was like.. hold up..

exploring strange new worlds ... check 🙂

seeking out new life and new civilization ... check 🙂

boldly go where no man has gone before ... check 🙂

Now that I liked. Also all just in about 20mins!

Then the ending! What a nod! I was like YESSSS!!!

Leaving a communicator behind after dodgy first contact!!!

Oh... and of course... the Prodigy story..

Yes hmmm.. seems the Diviner might have Chakotay held prisoner somewhere.. well.. I dunno .. maybe. The rest of the scene has to play out. Maybe he escaped.

Ms

They are not in the Delta Quadrant anynore they are in the Gamma Quadrant now and that is where they met this Ferengi. The mines were in the Delta Quadrant do.

It was an OK episode but it would be hard to beat the episode that came before it. There was a little bit of humour in this episode do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Yeah the quadrants thing seems a bit of a mess and the galaxy is coming across like a small village where you can travel 4,000 lightyears into an adjacent quadrant and randomly bump into your old buddy from school. I suppose Voyager had plenty of similar plot contrivances where they would just randomly bump into things like the Equinox, the Ferengi from "The Price", Chakotay's old tribe, Amelia Earhart, Earth's dinosaurs, "Friendship One" etc. in the vastness of the Delta quadrant.

Similar opinion to AMKC, was an okay episode but a bit of a step back from the two excellent episodes that preceded it.

Will be interesting to see how things go with Chatokay etc., presume he's being help captive by the Diviner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,642 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Caught up on all the episodes and while I know it's aimed at children, I'm enjoying it. It is what it is, but does have a Trek feel and the characters are more interesting than Discoveries!

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Ah ok. Just got them mixed up. I just mean we seem to have Alpha Quadrant races showing up and clearly more than 1 or 2 members of a race considering they know what Klingons are. Considering Gamma Quadrant required a wormhole to get to and Delta required other contrivances they seem all over the shop. Like now the Ferengi heard there's a reward for the Protostar. I'm pretty sure quadrants wouldn't get such messages from other other quadrants unless they're basically border towns.

But it's aimed at kids so I guess I shouldn't be overthinking it. 😀

Episode 7 was good! Maybe the best yet. I love those old Ferengi ships, and I'm intrigued to find out about Chakotay.

The jumping-around-quadrants thing is annoying alright. Common theme in modern Trek, the "final frontier" seems a lot smaller and closer than it used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,642 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The holodeck episode six....

More love and passion went into that than the entire s4 of Discovery so far.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

8: Ah that was

nice.. Go Rok!🙂

lol 276 tries! but combining that with what Janeway said at the end.. sounds like she might have been there for years

Hrmmm.. this Drednok copy at the end.. kinda terminator vibes on that wake-up

• Advertisement

Just watched it myself. Another good episode.

It's funny how these 2 animated shows can perfectly capture the tone and the spirit of proper Star Trek but the live-action shows fail completely.

Good episode. Felt like it was going to be far too preachy at the start but the mid way twists rescued the episode.

8 was really good! Surprisingly good. Starting to think this little show ain't half bad.

Ms

I watched it before going to sleep and yes it was very good. Some nice views of the ship too. I liked the zoom in to the windows. The only part I did not like was that there seems to be a big airlock straight from engineering which is hardly a good idea. Ye Rok to the rescue. I would love to know how your man hacked the photostat to build the robot. Hardly good. He could do a few of them and take it over if he was clever thankfully he is not lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Just watched E9 over lunch. Another enjoyable episode and nicely setup for the season finalé

9: Nooooooo!

Not another cliffhanger!! Not as bad this time. Part 2 is next week!

Liked that episode

Again was psyched by the intro music! Then the call back to the Kobayashi Maru episode! Brilliant!

Those uniforms looked nice

The double crosses everywhere was hilarious! Damn but John Noble has a great baddie voice!

but also.. 😲

Evil Janeway Holo!

The Finale!?! Awe nuts!!

20 episodes this season, according to Wikipedia, but they're probably taking another break when Discovery comes back.

Seems to be just one Trek at a time. With Picard, Strange New Worlds, and the next seasons of Lower Decks all seemingly ready to go, maybe that will change. I'm not sure have they released a schedule yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭corkie

Discovery is back 10th February with Episode #4.8

Season two of Star Trek: Picard will premiere on Thursday, March 3,

2022 will see at least four different seasons of Star Trek airing.

Here's how it shakes out:

January 6: Star Trek: Prodigy Season 1 resumes.

February 11: Star Trek: Discovery Season 4 resumes.

February/March: Star Trek: Picard Season 2 debuts.

Sometime in 2022: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Season 1 debuts.

• Advertisement

My bad! Too used to these things being 10 episodes per season nowadays!

Will happily take 20 😁

Advertisement