Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outer Wilds

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I started this as well last night finally and totally captivated by it. Went to Brittle Hollow and there's so much to see in there.

How many times have you hopped out forgetting to suit up first in haste to get back to where you left off???? 😂

Must have done that a dozen times starting out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Only the first time I got out of the craft on the moon. I'm sure I'll do it in future. Early days!

Very tired today. Had a bit of a 'just one more loop!' thing going on and ended up going to bed very late.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I posted in this thread before about needing a guide to expedite completion of the main game. Although I still enjoyed it, it wasn't as satisfying when I relied on so much help. This time, no life events are coming up so I can take my time. I had 68 unread posts in this thread from release of the DLC until today and have avoided them for spoilers, so just started jotting down notes and thoughts on my phone every once in a while as I played along:

Echoes of the Eye spoilers:

Checked out the radio tower and got to the satellite but couldn't figure out what to do. Thought "feck this" and looked at a guide. Felt ashamed i couldn't figure that out as it seemed so obvious what to do. Vowed to never check a guide ever again.

Got to The Stranger. Got inside and had a few minutes of "what the jaysus is this". Like the Ash Twin project meets Halo, but with whitewater rapids. Found a good few projections with various clues. Found the secret passages in two of the buildings with the green symbol and going by one projection, thought I'd be able to teleport between them. Misinterpreted as they just seemed to be tombs or something. But one of the slots in one of the "tombs" was empty. Is one of the deer owl dudes alive? Is he here? Is he maybe even on the quantum moon? Will he jump out at me and be the reason there is a scare option in the game?

I see a lot of text scattered around, but my translator can't read it. The projections show the owl dudes using their firey walking sticks to see things. I managed to get into the cabin surrounded by ghost matter and found evidence of metal objects. Could be key to translating the text, but that's merely a hunch. I think I need to find out how to translate this stuff to progress.

Really spent a lot of loops wandering around and never getting any additions to the ship log. Disheartening, but still determined not to use a guide. Found the vault under the chains, but no idea how to open. Found a building beside the reservoir that needed a combination, but no clue where to find it. Remember seeing a third green symbol building but no idea how to reach it. Realised that of the two channels going into the reservoir, i had only been in one. Ah ha! That goes along the back of the third green symbol building. Now to find a way in there.

Some failed attempts to get in due to currents. Managed to get in post flood but couldn't reach much. Eventually got in; just needed to be less crap with the raft. Good few new log entries, but nothing overwhelming. Found an artifact. Brought it to the building surrounded by ghost matter as i thought i need to combine it with the artifacts in there; nope they're the same thing. Recalled a projection showing owl dudes falling asleep in their tombs holding the artifacts. Went to the tomb with a missing slot and tried to get in. Nothing. Tried falling asleep and woke up and what the actual...

Had a wander around. Hard to know if it's their actual home world or an afterlife or what. This could easily be the bit that's supposed to be scary. I don't know. But maybe i can visit from anywhere that has a flame. I'll find out soon!

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Advertisement

Echoes of the Eye spoilers:

So i know of 4 flames to check out; lowlands, cinder isles, hidden gorge and the vault. Next time I came back, i went through hidden gorge because it was closest. Just exploring the mechanics. Saw the shadow of an owl dude! Couldn't get into that room but explored elsewhere, like the underground lake. Good few ship logs.

Next time, went through the vault. Didn't really discover much other than a projection of how to get in through the other 3 flames. If there's something else here, I'm probably too slow to have realised it.

Went in through the lowlands. Hard to navigate but saw something green moving in the distance. It's an owl dude! Followed him but got pulled out because the lowlands fire got flooded. So, this one is time sensitive. Went back in with more haste and followed owl dude in. Hid my torch and got into a room full of them. Decided to show myself to see if they're friendly. They're not! Ah well. First contact made.

Right now, i have a few things to check. I'll go back into owl dudes room and see if I can hide and explore more. I also want to check where they come from. I also need to explore the area through the cinder isles flame because I only had a quick explore there. Also need to do a recap of the slideshows for clues to get that unlock pattern for that building beside the reservoir.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

Finished up the main game last night. Incredible game. Loved it despite the anglerfish induced frustration.

I took a peak at the Echoes of the Eye location as well. Just wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Echoes of the Eye is an absolute must if you liked the base game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If you thought the anglerfish were frustrating, wait 'til you get to the 'fright' sequences in Echoes 😑

I'm going to take a short break from it and then dive back in. Kind of blown away by the location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Probably about 90% done but finding it a bit frustrating. Might resort to youtube for the rest.

I've got to the core of giant's deep, got the coordinates of the eye and everything else related to the probe.

I've landed on quantum moon a couple of times. Been in the shrine, I know the three rules but the moon has just disappeared underfoot without warning every time I've been on it, even when I have the scout out looking at the ground, so haven't quite figured that out.

I absolutely despise both sunken city and hanging city. There's "more to explore" in both places, I've been to both loads of times but the muddy maze of caves / the copy pasted ruined buildings are such a pain to navigate and try to figure out where I haven't been, made even more annoying by the rising sand on one or the black hole you fall into with one misplaced jump in the other.

I've uncovered a hell of a lot of lore but no real clue about how to stop the supernova, I guess the "6th location" might guide me to the eye and that does something. From some of the translations it sounds like the sun station causes the supernova, I've tried to land on it about 20 times and burn up every time so I don't think that's possible. I haven't been inside the ash twin project, I have pretty much all of the lore about it and how the statues work plus the bit inside the volcano that talks about them making sure it can withstand a supernova so it sounds like the whole thing is planned but it's still pretty unclear exactly what's going on. I think I need to find the high energy lab entrance in the sunken city to find out more but too many frustrating attempts have put me off trying that again. I also haven't found the vessel in dark bramble because the angler fish are also an absolute pain. I think those are the only remaining question marks in my ship computer.

I've a bit of a love hate relationship with the game. I found it off putting at first, then the mystery kept drawing me back and I started getting quite into it, but it's oh so very frustrating when you're at the point where you're not discovering so much and you know specifically what you need to do but every time the crap platforming controls make me fall into the blackhole or mess up in some other way I wish so very much it had a normal checkpointing system rather than forcing me to waste 10 minutes getting back to where I was again (I know there's stuff to be found after falls like this which would be broken by a checkpoint system, which is great the first time, but not so great the 20th time)

Few tips:

You can change what frequency you are looking for which I'd forgotten. Allows you to explore the dark bramble and find what's hidden there.

the ash twin has teleporters that take you to different parts of the solar system when they line up with the planet. All of them work but it might take a while to figure out which of them line up with what. If you are have trouble getting to places to land on or that are buried then there might be a teleporter for it.

The ember twin, you kind of just have to be quick for that one to get to the lower levels before the sand rises

The scout drone is a tool for marking locations and also a good light source for getting into nooks and crannys.

Anglerfish can die in a fire but the only way to get past them safely is to let yourself float by them.

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

Some of those should be spoiler tagged.

quokula, what have you found in Dark Bramble?

One tip for Dark Bramble, which I'll give because I figured it out the hard way and without a ship log/walkthrough, is...

If you enter one of those light nodes to go into another area, you cannot get back out the same way you came. i.e. if you enter an area with an anglerfish and immediately reverse back to where you came, then go back in again, the anglerfish will be gone. This isn't because the anglerfish have gone; you've basically gone into a different area altogether.

Also, I remember the high energy lab being ok enough to find. What are you having difficulty with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah I went back to dark bramble after reading the clue by the fossil and found everything. Combined with other discoveries I've now completed the game.

By completed I mean I saw the credits screen when I died holding the warp core so I'm counting that as an ending!

I figured out what I needed to do, due to the fact there's barely anything else in the solar system you can actually physically interact with it was incredibly obvious once you've been on the vessel and seen the device for inputting the coordinates and the space for a warp core just like the one in Ash Twin which I think may be the only item in the entire game other than scrolls and projection stones that you can pick up and carry around.

However even when you know what to do the anglerfish are an absolute pain when you're under time pressure having waited the best part of ten minutes to line up the entrance of ash twin to get the core first. So after a couple of failed attempts I just watched it on youtube. A quicksave / quickload feature would have saved so much trouble in this game but I'm happy enough that I solved the puzzles and saw the ending. I don't need to spend another 20 minutes doing all the same steps again, I don't get much time for gaming these days so really appreciate games that are respectful of my time but this isn't one of them. The ending bit with the campfire looked annoying to actually play too, I was happy to let someone else do that and see the end of the story unfold.

I'll play Echoes of the Eye if it ever makes it onto game pass or goes on sale in future but definitely don't feel like jumping right back in just yet.

Finished up Echoes of the Eye. What an incredible expansion and they ending was worth being terrified in some of the trickier parts. It's pretty much essential.

Anglerfish aren't so bad when you learn to:

Just float past, don't move the ship at all. Even if you think you'll hit them you won't. Don't even think of moving until you are very close to their eggs. And make a cup of tea while you wait. It takes bloody ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah the Anglerfish took me a good few tries too.

I was convinced I was a genius by getting out of the ship and using just the jetpack thrusters quietly as that wouldn't be as loud as the ship. Nope. Not a genius. Just Anglerfish food. Eventually just very slowly eased past them, then pushed forward on 1-bar of thruster for a few seconds when I was sure I was closer to the seed than the fish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm not if I'd consider the 'frights' bits in EotE particularly scary after the first encounter. But it is possibly the only bit in the entire game + expansion that just didn't really land for me - just too finicky to actually enjoy. The exception is of course the one encounter (of the three total) that is a puzzle in itself to solve... the other ones, though, felt like a rare misstep in an otherwise near pitch-perfect expansion.

@johnny_ultimate Is the one of three you refer to the:

Endless canyon section where you use the elevator trick and use another entrance to avoid the majority of owl dudes?

• Advertisement

I’m thinking more the

having to wait til the dam collapse to access the hunting lodge.

The one you mention above is indeed also a ‘think outside the box’ solution, although that is encounter can also be completed the more ‘straightforward’ way!

I couldn't do it the more straight forward way.

I kept getting caught trying to activate the internal bridge. Got caught countless times by the guard by the totem switch. When trying to juke him away, I always got caught behind a chair.

I must have been doing something blatantly wrong with the mechanics. Stumbled across the idea while wandering around aimlessly.

Anyway, I'm still not finished. The above had me at 1/3 and I only got 2/3 last night:

I didn't know what you meant by hunting lodge. In my head, I called it a church. Anyway, I stumbled across that solution by accident while trying something else.

I had a hypothesis that the guards that appear at Starlit Cove came from the hunting lodge. My reason for this was that when trying to map out the Endless Canyon in the dark, I started to notice where all the guards are while the place is lit. There's the antlers shadow in the projector in that room you can't access, which is the obvious one. But there are also a good few locked rooms with light creeping out through the cracks and the shadows of something moving around in them. And the number of these rooms I observed approximately matched the number of guards I found in the dark.

I didn't see anything similar in Starlit cove. I hadn't mapped out Starlit Cove in a similar manner and didn't know how many guards there are (I know of one that comes up the elevator), but I theorised that the guard(s) that appear there have to come from somewhere; maybe from the hunting lodge? So I opened up the path to the raft in Endless Canyon, jumped out and rafted to Cinder Isles. Unlit Starlit Cove to sound the alarm, then hopped on a raft to Shrouded Woodlands, and followed some guards/owl dudes to the hunting lodge. By the time it took me to do all that, the reservoir collapsed and the guards I was following disappeared in front of me, so I got in.

Then it dawned on me that it was the first time I was at the hunting lodge through a fire that wasn't in Lowlands. And the guards there are actually from around the fire in Lowlands. Penny well and truly dropped.

Only have time for 2-3 loops per day, so this is taking me an age to finish. So exciting.

Just finished this last night

Well, I had met the prisoner the previous night two nights previously and thought "rafting into the sunset - is that it???" and eventually had to google what to do next as I knew it was close to the end. Didn't realise it was just to get him to be a part of the band. I had forgotten how annoying it was to trigger the ending though... Mistiming the ash twin warp = ending up in a column of sand. Giving into temptation to using thrusters = being eaten. Being a crap pilot and crashing into random parts of Dark Bramble = having to get out and repair the ship = running out of time and supernova.

But as far as DLCs go, it was brilliant. Before playing, I thought it was pointless to add DLC to a game where the world ends. Like, what were they going to do? Add a way to prevent the world ending? That would ruin the entire narrative and come off as a needless cash grab. But they simply honed in on a little niche part of the original story; why did the eye suddenly broadcast, and then suddenly stop?

The Stranger is a great little place though. Like, at various times, I thought I had explored every nook and cranny and that there was nowhere left to explore. But things like finding the hull breach breathed new life into the place as it meant I didn't have to go most of the way around in a raft almost twice just to get to somewhere like Starlit Cove. Also, when the burned reel temple showed the locations of the burned reels... I had been around those 3 places and didn't feckin see them.

Clocked up 42 hours on the original + DLC. I assume most other people could have done it in way less but I probably spent an insane amount of time wandering around not having a clue what to do. Time well spent though, IMO.

I got a YouTube recommended video today of a girl playing Outer Wilds for the first time. Amazing seeing other people experience it for the first time. Made me spin it up and start a new game trying to find everything in the log. I noticed the dlc satellite tower has fire damage and is closed. Looks like I have to download the dlc again.

Anyway, is absolutely amazing all over again. The increase in star detail is incredible while you're flying planet to planet. Goddamn what a special game.

I am bad with details when it comes to remembering books and movies, and I think it will happen with Outer Wilds, too. Hopefully, anyway, so I can play again in a couple of years.

Absolutely loving this playthrough. I'm understanding so much more of it. I remember my first go, following clues from planet to planet but no idea of what was going on. Now that I know the story, I'm understanding little intricacies that would have gone over my head before. I had forgotten all the Nomai's failed attempts but now see what they were trying to do and it's just such a brilliant story. The creative minds behind this are just on another level.

I forgot how much there was too discover on Brittle Hollow. It doesn't look like the biggest planet and most of it goes missing but there's so much to uncover. Also, me thinking I'm an expert OW player, won't have to worry about the black hole.... NOT AGAIN!!

I spent way too long trying to get to the black hole forge before giving up. Headed to Giants Deep, so oppressive, instills dread even knowing everything it has to offer. Remembered its tricks though and 'solved' the planet fairly quickly. I've been following the story only by that I've found so far but used the jellyfish before finding the notes on them, purely so i didn't have to make the trek back here.

Took a quick spin to Ash Twin near the end of the loop and visited some towers, bang zipped to the forge, had completely forgotten about that.

I've said this is a game I wish could be wiped from my memory to experience all over again but now I think it gets even better. The Nomai notes hit harder and the ending of the dlc flashes into my mind every now and then and makes the Nomai story so much more impactful.

Nearly have all computer entries, missing Ash Twin Project and apparently brottle's moon which i don't think I've EVER investigated. ATP is such a bollox of a puzzle. I have every entry for it and just got caught by the sand. It's only that I remembered the trick to it, I'll know how to do it next time but I went over all my notes and i don't think I'd have ever figured it out on my own. Looking up the explanation, yeah it makes sense but the devs could have done with adding one more clue about the sand, surely the Nomai had to deal with the same issue coming and going? Can't believe they had to patch the game to add another clue which is still fairly vague.

Anyway, besides that, it's been an amazing trip all over again. I'm gonna leave the the ATP for now anyway and head to The Stranger, one of the greatest DLC's in all of gaming.

• Advertisement

I'm watching a playthrough of this by Fighting Cowboy, who usually does Dark Souls videos. I started following 4 or 5 youtubers simply from their amazing playthrough of this but this one is after falling flat as he googled what the eye coordinates were instead of looking for them....

Got to the Vessel, couldn't figure out what was missing so googled it (he googled a few things which I don't mind if it means a nudge in the right direction) but he just input the coordinates from google. I've never felt so dissatisfied watching someone play this. That video was uploaded today and he says the Echoes DLC videos are already completed and ready for upload, he said he didn't do any more googling after today's video, but man.... that sucked. Don't think I can bare watch the Echoes dlc which is a pity as I had been enjoying this.

Advertisement