Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,107 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think they only need to win one game and they have a chance of going through. Same set up with the Euros as the best placed 3rd place teams going through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

What does that double box mean? I've seen it quite a few times but have no idea what it means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd have loved to offered Spurs £20m for Ndombele as there really is a player in him.

Then I saw he is on £200k a week and no I wouldn't be wanting him with that kind of wage.

He can look brilliant, and at other times he looks like he is out for a walk. He will probably to well in a less frantic league like France or Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Feel like we play this game in every Summer window of we're gonna sell A, B, C, D and E to buy F, G and H....and then nothing happens.

It really is brutal but ironically enough kind of proves FSG's approach somewhat right. Reward players too much and get stuck with them when they stop producing.

That being said, I'd still give Mo whatever he wants.

I wonder if the age of large transfer fees is drawing to a close. If seems a lot more high profile players are happy to run down contracts to secure more lucrative pay rather than looking to move during contracts. Prolonged careers mean that players entering their 30’s are confident they will still get big money when they move rather than looking for that last big move at 28. Don’t know if it’s true that MC are interested in Modric even though he is 36, Thiago Silva will be nearly 40 by the time his Chelsea contract is up, those ages used only apply to keepers. Mo could run down the next 18months and still get a mammoth pay deal for another 4 yrs somewhere else. It is great for them.

That’s the thing Liverpool can’t afford to get it wrong when buying a player and if that player is on £200k a week and the club did get it wrong they can’t afford to bring in a replacement.

Just look at City who just kept buying £50m full backs because they got them wrong and just dropped the wrongs down into the squad and kept paying them.

They spent £100m on Grealish in the Summer and are paying him £300k a week and barely play him these days.

As much as we all want brand new shiny players the club have to be very careful to buy the right ones and they only come around every couple of windows.

It’s a good job we have such a good analytical unit then isn’t it. It’s hard to believe they haven’t been able to identify a few handy midfielders over the last couple of windows.

I know you are one of our resident partners for accountability, but it’s fun to think who we would like to see join our squad.

• Advertisement

The Anfield Road extension coming along nicely

New Year update from the Anfield Road Stand expansion

Foundation work is now complete and these new behind-the-scenes pictures feature concrete core wall panels and the first concrete stairs, which will provide the stability for the building.

The first two concrete wall panels are in place on the eastern core, along with the first flight of pre-cast concrete steps. The remaining core starter bars are also in place to frame the central core of the building.

Work on the stand expansion – which will add around 7,000 seats to the stadium’s overall capacity – began last September and is anticipated to be ready for the 2023-24 season.

Check on the progress on-site in the gallery below.

Saw this on Reddit this morning and was surprised Jota was so high. His work ethic is excellent in fairness to him.

Bobby was 21.18 or something like that so still a bit to go for Jota.

Denis an excellent presser as well and as I said before I'd like us to look at him as a cheap option to replace Origi if Watford go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Salah has 4 or 5 years left at the very top

It'll take two players to replace him in terms of dependability and goals because we wont sign 1 super star who might do it on there own ud be looking at the same wages as Mo and a massivs fee

Mo is becomeing an icon and we wouldn't be getting a massive fee either to let him go,

Cohkd it be possible we wil lget in our summer targets before we give Mo what he wants because once he gets his 400 grand others will want more so probably better off getting them in the door first before the wage structure is broken,

Only problem is in most cases if it goes down to 12 months it means the player will leave

If someone came in with a £200m bid, it would be a no brainer business decision. I'd hate to see him go, but I'd be confident Klopp and the club could spend that money on 3/4 quality players.

He clearly wants to stay. Hopefully the club can make it happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The very aptly named Martin Terrier in at sixth place made me chuckle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

No one is going to bid £200m for Salah. Given his age, one year left on his contract in the summer, and the the financial hit clubs have taken in the last 2 years, I think we'd get something like £90m.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I don't see how his goals and current value can be replaced without spending a huge amount of money. We have become so reliant on him. There is also no way we are picking up more than 100m for him with just 12 months to go in the summer. Hopefully FSG are looking at making a football decision over a 'business' decision.

The boat might have sailed on Johnathan David in terms of buying him at a reasonable price, but Nkunku interests me. He seems to be having a great season with Leipzig, scoring and assisting from various different positions. Leipzig usually sell at reasonable prices. A Bobby successor perhaps?

I'd say Bayern or Dortmund will try buy him to replace Lewa/Haaland.

I think he'd suit the PL though and like us to at least make a bid for him especially considering we've decent relations with RB group.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Hi There

Looking someone thoughts. I was wondering do people think we will have a stronger than normal cup team out against Cardiff in February. Given its just after the International break and we don't play again to the Thursday ( Leicester )?

I was offered two tickets ( which I was on the lookout for my sons Communion, its all he wants ), but he is Mo Salah obsessed and I would love for him to get over and see the full team ( or as close as ) as this is the team he grew up over the last 3/4 years. He is more obsessed than me, which would be difficult.

I hate to be picky and turn down tickets, but for me and the son we may only get one chance to be able to get over for years.

What are peoples thoughts??

Thanks

JB

• Advertisement

No guarantee you’ll get offered tickets for a league or UCL match any time soon with the demand these days unless you have a good contact, so if I were in your position, I’d be taking those Cardiff tickets. It’s unlikely Salah would start, but there’s every chance he’ll feature at some point and it should be a stronger team overall than the one that started against Shrewsbury. But nobody really knows with Klopp, the league could be already decided by that point (it pretty much is already) so the FA Cup might suddenly look more appealing to him with the chance of silverware.

You should go over, and you might be lucky if the kickoff time is in the evening as it always helps the atmosphere in Anfield. It hasn’t been set yet but keep an eye out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I don't think Salah will play that game but if you don't get over often I'd go for it, it'll be a good team out regardless. We don't tend to just put out the full reserves anymore even for lower league cup game so most likely it's a mix of experienced first teamers, fridge squad players, and quality youth like Morton, Elliott or Bradley.

I haven't been to a game since the Atletico Quarter Final in March 2020 and dying to get back over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

A 200m bid is not going to happen this summer with only 1 year remaining on his contract. If FSG wanted to fully cash in on him for those numbers last summer was the time to do it. If a contract is not negotiated this summer then there is only 2 outcomes. FSG try sell him and hope to earn 100m but in reality it would be close to 80m. Or Salah stays, winds down his final year, leaves and gets a massive signing on bonus along with a hefty pay increase.

A big few months ahead for FSG and Salah in the boardroom....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Oops nevermind :)

Klopp saying Elliott is close to team training.

Origi & Thiago not training.

TAA & Ali trained yesterday.

Klopp on Salah's comments.

There's nothing in it that's unexpected. I know that Mo wants to stay. We want Mo to stay. That's where we are. It takes time. I think it is in a good place. I'm very positive about it.

How Origi is it to be injured for the period of time that especially we kept him for ,

Reading a few places this evening talking about Salah's current contract of £200k a week that it is heavily incentivised for him to get that much.

Part of me wonders does he want a straight up £400k a week with no incentives attached and this is why the negotiations are still going on as we know all Liverpool contacts are incentives based under FSG.

If he is to get £400k a week I personally would like it to be incentivised for him to get the full amount.

If it was incentivised in such a way that allows him the odd poor game, then that’d be ideal. Monthly or bi-weekly targets that are reasonably achievable for a player of his quality, that sort of thing. A straight up goal or assist bonus surely wouldn’t be enough to entice him into signing a new contract when his income varies from week to week. 400k every week looks a lot better to a player than 450k one week and 300k the week after, for example.

But given what he’s done for the club since he joined in 2017, I feel he truly deserves a big, guaranteed money contract with only financial incentives for trophies and team-oriented achievements. I think he’s worth 400k a week and decent seven figure bonuses for Premier League and Champions League titles, but we’ll all have a different idea of what a fair contract for the best player in the world should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

All Liverpool contracts have been like that since FSG took over. It's based both on individual performances and team performances (one of the reasons it spiked a bit in the last 3 years, a lot of CL & PL winning bonuses paid out). Salah activates individual bonuses pretty much every time he goes out on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I don't think mo gets the numbers he does playing under a different manager/style, klopp is perfect for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I dont think fsg should be worried about breaking their own pay rules for Mo.

Just looking at the other contract completion dates. Mane and Bobby 2023 so they are currently in a contract negotiation phase. Bobby doesn't get to use the argument that he should be paid similar. Mane could definitely enter a negotiation asking for Similar. Not saying hes right. He may be the biggest casualty of paying Mo out of the system.

Trent is in 2025. He has the potential to be the clear and obvious best in the world. He's the only bridge we'll have to cross. No one else currently at the club will ever have a chance at a top level contract. Elliot maybe, but he's years off. Maybe konate.

Jota, Gomez will have very good careers but won't be greats. VVD, hendo etc will be past it.

My point is giving Mo the best contract in the club at a moment when he's he's the best player in the world is not the slippery slope that arsenal have gone down. If someone else wants to get that money they have to be the best player in the world. They're all great but they're not number 1

How many main club staff are dealing with contracts of those players and there agents?

There is more than likely 5 contract negotiations going on right now with Salah, Mane, Bobby, Ox & Naby Lad all up at the same time.

Whatever you want to say about Ox and Naby Lad not getting new contracts their agents will be there negotiating for their clients.

There will be lots of back and forwards between the club and agents this comes after Ali, Fab, Robbo, Konate, Hendo and VVD all signed contracts over the last few months that is a lot of wheeling and dealing.

Bowen with 5 goals and 9 assists so far this season in the league does look the part and you can see why he is constantly linked.

Plus homegrown. I think Bowen and Harvey Barnes are the types of players we should be looking to replace Oxlade-Chamberlain with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Are we not a year late to the Bowen party, he was mentioned by a few here last year and he was poo-pooed, but he has kept hiss levels high and will be costly enough now I'd say.

Certainly not a cheap or value option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think it's fine. I don't think anyone on the superthread makes the transfer decisions.

Is the extra season to confirm the scouts original thinking worth an extra £15m? They might have thought that he could make the step up in level but needed some more time with a larger scale of data/output to prove that it wasn't a purple patch and that his form can be sustained for a longer period of time.

Taking a bigger risk last summer at ~£40m compared to a bit more of a sounder return this summer at ~£55m after you know that the form has been sustained.

Liverpool, and FSG, have been burnt before by buying players for big fees based on 6 months form. When you are buying 18+ months form, the risk decreases and so they are prepared to pay the bigger fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The club should give Mo whatever he wants and give him a written apology it's taken this long to sort out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

For me, the true nature of the ownership will be laid bare by what happens with the Salah contract situation.

Their tactic of ploughing resources into Klopp, coaching and scouting experts has paid dividends. It's been unbelievable. The club is worth more than it's ever been, and it is more consistently competitive than it has been in my life supporting the club.

Salah is a no-brainer. It's almost like Messi demanding more money than everyone else at Barca - and it's not like Mo is asking for over €1m a week. I strongly suspect he's asking to be paid what the best players in the league are paid. I'd suggest he's looking at De Bruyne on 400k a week, and especially someone like De Gea on 350k a week, and thinking that he has to be in that bracket.

As others have said, I think we may have to sacrifice Mané, if he insists he should be on similar. But that's fine. Salah is the figurehead. Van Dijk is too old to get that money on his next contract. Same with most of our best players. But even so, Salah is above them, and surely they know that, and they'll accept that.

Sometimes you just have to pony up for the best player in the world. you can scrimp on that, because somebody will pay him. and the thing is, we'd probably be paying him less than what he'd get elsewhere. plus it will cost us ludicrous sums to replace him.

it's a no brainer. and if it isn't done, it really will be time to start properly questioning the board.

if they get it done, then they also deserve a massive pat on the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

400k a week over a 5 year contract is €100m.

Whatever about his on-field contributions, he is surely worth a bit to the club as a world icon. Best African player, best muslim player - hell, best player in the World.

I know he isn't a Pogba-type but he must still be pretty marketable and can raise the Liverpool brand worldwide, attract more fans, etc

I'd love to know what that would be worth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

Hey Guys,

Any leads on safe places to buy tickets for european matches at Anfield? I recognise there is a premium to be paid but its been so long since I was at a game

Hospitality from the club. https://hospitality.liverpoolfc.com/

You can get ones there now for ~£350 for Inter Milan which is ticket + 3-course meal, drink & programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭hynesie08

*Chefs kiss* early flight over, late flight back, bobs riding your auntie.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Cup date has had a knock on effect too, Leicester is now Thursday 10th and Burnley is moved to Sunday 13th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭facehugger99

We seem to be in a prolonged Thursday-Sunday run of fixtures.

Feel like we're in the Eurpoa League.

It's going to be the 16th Feb before we play a match in 2022 that is not on a Sunday or Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Isn't that what Barcelona did with Messi at his best? And isn't this why they were stuck with Griezmann at £300K per week and Coutinho at £270K per week?

I am not saying we shouldn't pay Salah, but we need to be careful. His salary will be the ceiling for new signings so it will impact the new contracts for current players and potential new signings.

If Cardiff fans get the first train in the morning they will only arrive in Limestreet (Liverpool) 20minutes after kick off ,

Crazy time

I wonder could Tsimikas play left wing for us ?

Just with Origi no where to be seen and Taki, Jota & Bobby the only options for the front 3

It'll be intresting what team he goes with tonight, Spurs & Chelsea where pretty much full strength as Arsenal will be (bar Afcon players)

Will Klopp go full strength or a "CUP" team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Remember how the TV companies and their pundits were frothing at the mouth about the Super League and imploring owners to think of the fans as they make football what it is? This is what the FA and TV companies really think about fans, they couldn't be bothered one bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement