Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

Aside from one bomb dropped on a Thursday night in the last year the only scheduled meetings I've had on Friday were some on-boarding at the start then we have daily stand up at 4 (happens less than half the time on a Friday) and a team meeting for my team because we're spread across the company. The team meeting is basically informal and is more for us to share tips and complaints etc., and if we're finished up before the scheduled time a few of us hang on to talk about sport and just shoot the ****.

In terms of decoration, you can't go wrong with some plants, wall clock, and prints/posters.

I got a number of large prints/posters over the years and just got an identical frames for everything so they look well, frames from Woodies I think. I've 5 plants too (Ikea) and a cool little Karlsson clock I got off Amazon.

I also picked up a slab of "butcher block" kitchen counter top from ikea, Karlby I think its called. I cut it up to make 2 desks, one for me and one for the wife. Legs also came from Ikea. Actually now that I think about it, everything bar the clock came from Ikea.

Don't remember where I got the chair from as I spent a LONGGG time looking at and trying many options and I know it was 200 eur or thereabouts and literally everything is adjustable on it so I was able to get it EXACTLY how I wanted it. Didn't mind spending that because it had to be good quality.

My monitor stand is a Lack shelf, about 30 quid including the feet. I moved house recently so I am planning on adding a lot more art/prints/posters to the space over the next few years.

I will say that I had the office before covid and WFH as my hobby involves sitting at the PC for long hours so I wanted a nice space.

As for how much all of the above cost, probably around 500 eur, but all spent over a few years. You have a million options if you go the Ikea route as you can mix and match bits and pieces.

I guess it all depends on what your tastes are, how much you want to spend, and what you are particular about, for example, I wanted a really good chair and a class looking desk surface, but didn't give a toss about what the legs looked like so long as they were the right height, so I spent accordingly.

Before you decide, take a look online but be careful with the "Instagramable" setups. They may look cute and pretty, but you need to think about how the space needs to work for you in terms of comfort and functionality. One example, I sat at loads of desks when trying chairs and got a good feel for what desk height I liked/hated, so when it came time to make the desk I tailored my choice of surface and legs to ensure I got exactly what I wanted.

Best of luck with it. This is one ongoing project for me and I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far.

If you would like some pics happy to send through PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Even when in an office training or the like would really unless it was a course for x amount of days be done on a Friday as they know people will not be listening more then they already don't

Why do they automatically have to share with you. You signed a contract for a wage of x amount. They won't take some off if you have to work in an office

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You weren’t providing office space, light and heat when you signed the contract

• Advertisement

Jesus **** Christ.

Haha. I was away for 2 weeks. Came back in to find that we are still discussing heat and light!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,900 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do those of you who don't do a full day's work on Friday get paid for less than a full week?

I used to work in a place with an early finish on Friday, but that was a hangover from their manufacturing days, when employees needed to get to the bank with their wage cheque. Haven't seen anywhere like it for 7+ years: Friday is just another working day, when you're expected to be available for whatever work wants from you.

Our company gives us ‘summer Fridays’. Half day for all 20,000 staff (subject to work deliverables of course). And, no, there is no deduction. Messaging re Friday afternoons is directly from the CEO

it’s called ‘wellbeing’ and many progressive companies are into it. staff are more committed, happier and work harder because of stuff like this

what salaried workers are held to their 9-5 these days anyway. I don’t really care if my team leave early or come in late any day as long as they deliver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

It would be great if they did. It would be great if they had to keep up with inflation. It would be great if they had to keep up with utilities.

It would be great if companies who recorded record profits every quarter passed some onto all staff. But they rarely do. Why you think wfh should buck the trend is beyond me.

I've sympathy for people who's home setups are not conducive to wfh. But I don't view it any different to how some people have to commute further than others, or take the bus because they can't afford a car etc.

That article was not saying been available to work it was on about seminars and training course put on specifically on a Friday. I hope that most employers and smart enough to know Friday is not the best day for them as the employee may not be at there best

Staff would have known about their commute requirements before joining the company, and would have planned around it. The requirement to give over a room in your house to your employer was generally not known before joining, so it is not unreasonable that the employee would share in any savings arising from this. In general, where employees agree to give up something in HR terms, it is not unreasonable to suggest that they get something back in return.

Yeah, did my tax relief claim yesterday. I will probably get me about €100 tax credit. This month my gas and elec bills come close to €600 for the Nov/Dec periods. It's not really material in terms of the costs paid out.

wow, that is a hell of a bill. I think you've bigger problems there!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,780 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Friday is the worse day of the week to host anything and it is common sense.

The majority of mothers who work 4 day weeks mostly take Friday off from my experience.

The majority of people pre Covid who had one day a week working at home done it on Friday.

A lot of people use up a days holidays to take a long weekend.

A lot of employees finish early on Friday or mentally waiting to just finish for the week.

I can't see how any company would think doing anything on a Friday is a good idea, it is an awful idea.

The majority of companies are moving towards no meeting Fridays.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I should know better than trying to respond here , but this -

The requirement to give over a room in your house to your employer was generally not known before joining, so it is not unreasonable that the employee would share in any savings arising from this.

It's not a Requirement.

Other than the specific current scenario of the Pandemic for working from home, this is not and will NEVER be a requirement.

If your current employer (or department head it would seem based on comments from other PS Staff) is not allowing you to go to the office from time to time , then that is something for you and you alone to take up with the chain on leadership in your organisation.

There won't be legislation on this nor is there any need for it.

Again as others have said , employers should be obligated to provide you with the necessary bits of kit (or a budget to purchase them) and any decent employer will do so already without having to be told.

The tax situation needs to be addressed for sure , the full €3.20 should be available to everyone automatically with a simply requirement to document days worked from home to qualify for the tax deduction.

I know you work in the public sector and the goals and aims of the organisations are different to a Private sector enterprise but surely you must be capable of seeing the bigger picture here?

If people work from home and the company gets to reduce facilities costs somewhat then that it good for the company as a whole - More profits means increased bonus payouts , reduced chances of redundancies.

And - Certainly in my company and many others , widespread WFH has vastly increased opportunities , roles that previously would have been unavailable to me as they were notionally based overseas are now suddenly open to me because leaders have recognised that the person doesn't need to be sitting in the next cube to do the job , they can be anywhere.

tl;dr

WFH is good for a lot of people but if it doesn't work for you then work in the office (when the pandemic is over) and all is good.

And no , you will NEVER be paid rent for your desk at home - But you should be covered for reasonable expenses like Broadband etc.

It's a standard 1990s build 4-bed semi-d. My total costs for the year are within the standard Estimated Annual Bill costs. The heating is on for a couple of hours in the morning, about six hours in the afternoon evening, and on the worst of cold days, I'll put it on for an hour over lunchtime. I'm not mining crypto here lads, just an ordinary family life.

I am required to give over a room in my house to my employer (public service) today. The instruction is 'work from home'. No 'where possible' or 'if you can' or 'if you like'. The instruction is to work from home.

Putting wfh aside, whether you rent or own, a bit invested in minimal insulation measures (draught excluders, window seals etc) would probably pay for itself within a month or two and reduce the cost after that.

That is an insane amount of money to be spending on heating.

There's a DIY forum where you can get a lot better advice, depending on the specifics of your situation. For your own financial wellbeing I'd strongly recommend that you investigate further what you can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,900 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You have no idea of the size of the household.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I live in an A rate house, on a discounted plan with energia (best i saw on the market) my Nov Dec Bill was 571. Granted we only have an electricity bill and we also run an EV but given the rises in energy costs, id love to hear people who are way under that (with actual not estimated readings)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Running the central heating for ~8hrs a day in Ireland in what has been a more than mild winter thus far seems excessive.

Either you have appalling insulation or you like it "toasty" to say the least...

Each to their own in terms of what makes you comfortable , but at best I'd have the heating on for about 2-3 hrs across the whole day , and not every day and not every room.

I am required to give over a room in my house to my employer (public service) today. The instruction is 'work from home'. No 'where possible' or 'if you can' or 'if you like'. The instruction is to work from home.

And yet we have multiple other people in this thread from the PS who are able to go to this office from time to time etc. so it's sounds like it's your manager or above in your specific area that's the issue.

And even so you are not "Required to give over a room to your employer" , you are asked to work from home - That does not mean you have to dedicate an entire room and not be allowed use it for any other purpose ever.

The hyperbole really does nothing for your argument.

I live in a draughty (if I'm using a big vape I can sometimes see the vapour get sucked under a door) with a leaky roof (for now, pain in the hole). I've a TV and Xbox on for 10+ hours a day and sometimes use an electric fan heater and my bill for November/December was €110. Gas is 20 a week prepay so another €180 (though I think I skipped 2 weeks total so less again). Pretty sure this place was built in the 30s or 40s.

Mine is a B3.

My last 2 monthly electric bill was 155. I've only had 1 gas bill so far and that covers the period when we were getting familiar with how it worked, what was needed, how long to put it on etc as I've never had gas before now so its not an accurate reflection by any means. That came to 78 eur.

233 total, for 2 months, but with the caveat about the gas so a more accurate bill could be higher or lower.

I will mention my gas system is ancient, about 70-75% efficient I think, held together with tape and doesn't heat the water so we use the electric shower which is a hog on power.

We're still assessing whether to upgrade it for a new, more efficient gas system or hold out for a heat pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

For the vast vast majority of office workers , not having to go into the office IS the something back in return...

Feel like I'm taking crazy pills talking to you.

I never said that I didn't have space. I DO have a spare room that I've given now to my employer. There are lots of other people who don't have space at all, working at kitchen tables or bedroom dressers.

It's very hard to say 'how much extra' relates to WFH. Prices have changed, I've moved suppliers, weather is different, so how can I measure how much extra relates to WFH?

What's I'm paying is will within standard ballparks - see https://selectra.ie/energy/guides/billing/average-gas-electricity-bill#average-energy-bill-in-ireland-by-household-size

I don't think windows or draughts are a particular issue. Overall insulation isn't great, being a 1990s built house. Loft insulation seems to work, judging by the extreme cold up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i appreciate this is an aside, but anyway, how big is the house? and do you have UFH?

I well appreciate that most people have savings on commute costs. I don't have any such savings.

Am I supposed to just suck it up because other people are doing well out of WFH?

'Toasty' couldn't be further than the truth. Bearable with hoodies and jumpers and heavy socks would be closer to the truth.

Check the civil service policy, which is absolutely clear. Work from home, unless the nature of your work requires you to attend at the office. My work rarely requires attendance at the office, so I HAVE to work from home. I have effectively given one bedroom to my employer. The other half does occasionally use the desk in evenings all right, so there's that - but I've lost my spare bedroom to my employer. That's not hyperbole - I don't have a spare bedroom for me or anyone else to sleep in.

• Advertisement

3 bed, 2 storey townhouse, 1,400 sq ft. Built in 2005 but a previous owner did a good job of insulating the place.

No UFH, and the lower floor is best suited to it as its concrete. I could do it in the upper floor too as it's possible to do, just not as effective and may go the UFH route, depends on the return as I'd have to replace all the flooring but we need to do that too as it's all original and cheap crap with tiles lifting etc.

As regards the electric bill, I should also mention that on week 1 we replaced all lighting with 3-5 watt LED's and had to replace all white goods so went with the most efficient models available.

We also won't be upgrading the heating system until we get water treatment as the hardness is insane.

But upgrades are part and parcel of owning and we've a loose plan for things to do over the short, medium to long term. The end goal is to have minimal running costs so when we retire in it'll cost feck all to run.

In terms of saving/funding everything, WFH savings alone, in particular not having a car, pay for the lot. The savings from ditching the car and not having to commute are truly astounding

Advertisement