Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Breaking news from polish polish scientists have decovered a gene varent In dna make up of polls witch has resulted in persons who carry the gene are twice as likely to require hospital ventilation.

14% of polish people carry this gene witch is 5 times higher than the European average.

A simple blood test will be made available that targets the gene.

Enabling targeting of persons most at risk to avail of vaccination.

This is the fist confirmation of a gene found in Europeans that increases the risk from covid.

All sintific papers have been shard with ecd and who.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Is it a surprise to anyone that incidental covid in hospital is high when covid in general is high? Statistics on this are not easy to trace, but pre pandemic there was approx 3.5m bed days in Irish hospitals and and average stay of 5.8 days so by my estimate thats 1,653 new patients per day on average. If we have 7 day average of 22,000 cases per day and people test positive for at least 5 days and we miss 50% of cases there could be 200,000 people positive for covid right now. 4% of the population. 4% of 1653 is 66. So today you would on average expect 66 incidental covid cases in hospital . Yesterday there was 170. 66/170 = 39% incidental. Some of those would of course have been both ill with covid and their underlying illness.

Now, do the same maths for Jan 12th 2021 there there were 209 new hospital cases and 6.5k cases per day and you would have expected 20 incidental admissions, or 9.6%

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

No surprise at all. The more transmissible covid gets the more you'll expect it to spread within a hospital setting. All it takes is one nurse/doctor to infect a whole ward.

What was surprising was the CMO and his 95%. Completely disingenuous comment and a poor attempt to gaslight against all common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Where does he " very clearly " state that ? Not in that clip .

What he states is that the numbers he is talking about are both asymptomatic and infectious alright, but not that that is the "meaning of incidental ".

And he also states that this number has risen considerably from what it was with Delta x 3 .

• Advertisement

CMO was using a different definition which is the meaning of incidental generally used in public health .

The fact that the HSE are using a broader definition gets lost in translation here , and leads to accusations of lies from the CMO ., which is neither fair nor correct .

One could argue that the HSE are giving incorrect figures , as infectious patients are not strictly " incidental " , but in fairness Paul Reid does not mention the word , but just the fact that they are asymptomatic and admitted for something else ,and that these patients are infectious .

So this situation being clarified will still be used as a stick to beat a public servant with one way or another it seems .

It's a no win situation really .

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

How is a patient who happens to be infected with SARS-CoV-2 but who does not have symptomatic Covid and only finds out about it via a test unrelated to the reason they present in hospital not an incidental case? I’d really like to see the source of the definition generally used in public health because at the moment this looks like an extraordinary claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Hmm, not sure about this.

lots of points could be made but loads of people don’t seem to be too bothered about their obese kids yet it’s masks, masks, masks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

18,904 new cases, 1,011 in hospital and 92 in ICU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

So one last attempt to be fair and civil even though I’m not receiving the same in return. Who I was actually referencing which I have told you already btw.

You mentioned not bothering to read my posts, which is fair enough, I don’t read, engage with, respond or quote yours either, if you did though you would have noticed I’ve mentioned, referenced and quoted the bold olive a few times. Hence the fact I’ve referenced “on Twitter, not so much here” in my original post

Now scroll up this twitter feed and 24 hours ago or so you will see reference to NPHEt being told what to say etc etc, again what I referenced in my post, which coincided with me reading it and posting what I did!

So what’s most likely here. The fact when I reference twitter in my post, that I’m actually talking about someone from twitter who I have actually referenced or quoted numerous times before as I think she’s bonkers to be honest.

Or that I’m covertly quoting some obscure text you said in a post some time ago, someone I don’t engage with, don’t respond to, don’t quote, don’t read your contribution to troll someone again who I have never quoted, responded to, engaged with and I just luckily happened to come across the exact same phrase from a person on twitter that I have quoted before, that you happened to say somewhere but secretly it’s all about having a go at you!

The term “I don’t trust Varadkar/Leo” is not a term copyrighted to you or anything in fairness to the extent if anyone else is using it they must be referencing you!

Seriously it’s noting to do with you and not all about you.

Post edited by the kelt on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yep even if I did get hospital cases wrong at first!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Tony used a very narrow definition of what an incidental case is. He mentioned someone who tests positive but is asymptomatic and non-infectious, which would seem to go against public health guidelines for the general population since the start of this.

The latest HSE figures would more closely match similar definitions from the NHS which would be covid positive but the primary care they are receiving is not for covid.

I hope that makes sense.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

Tony was fearmongering again. That's the only logical explanation. He knew well what he was saying

It completely makes sense but the poster I was responding to stated that the CMO was using “the meaning of incidental generally used in public health.”

I’m asking the poster if there’s any source indicating this is the generally agreed upon definition in public health.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Positive or negative result wouldn't change anything for a child. The test may just upset a child , unnecessarily.

Sigh. This is all a bit boring and defensive tbh.

you have apparently reported it to the boards police so leave it there please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I think coincidental would be a more accurate term than correlations.

One recovered from Covid . Look it up yourself . It was posted a couple of nights ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

What about people with a sniffle/sore throat (very common symptoms of omicron) who end up on a ward for a completely different reason. They would not be included in either Paul Reid's or the CMO's definition and figures.

I much prefer the NHS definition of being primarily treated for covid. Much less ambiguity about the definition.

I have looked up the meaning of “incidental” with regard to medical conditions and it doesn’t coincide with the much more narrow one used by the CMO. Can you please share a link to a source? I don’t see how “incidental” can legitimately be defined as only being someone who tests positive but has fully recovered from symptomatic infection but I’m open to correction from a legitimate source.

The fact that you believe it was in fact intentional is very tiresome too . And unreasonable .

He should have come straight out and said that the numbers who were infectious but admitted for something else while not incidental by definition were not admitted with Covid, yes I agree .

While he did not have the full numbers of thise other cases he should have said so . I also agree.

Fact is there would have been an outcry that he didn't know .

But this was the week after a major surge and the day before New Year's Eve and weren't getting anything except basic numbers from the HSE at that stage , remember ? If anything they are to blame for not keeping the CMO or NPHET up to date , but at the time that it was it was understandable too .

Ok could do better Tony but not intentional .

I said before Christmas that a lot of people were being admitted for other things and testing positive after admission , but I did not have nor would have had accurate numbers as was off then for Christmas . Looks like the people in the HSE doing those numbers were off as well .

From what Ihave heard everywhere was firefighting over the 2 weeks even though the cases were milder because so many staff were off .

If I am not that source you can ask someone else tbf .

It is in a 79 page IPC document from Gov.ie if you want to go read through and find it . I referenced it the other night .

Good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

How is Tony going to steal this away from MM ? After all the sh!te news MM had to give us for 2 years Tony will steal his moment . Nothing surer .

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Is there any way of finding out how many cases are in each EA of a county? The covid tracker hasn't been updated since before Christmas.

Good for you and everyone then ( presume its everyone on boards ) cos there would be a lot of people myself and other healthcare workers who would not have known any figures but would be making a wild guess !

And don't be worrying about me bb, thanks for your concern there ... . There are many hills and mountains and this is just one 😁

You're not the source because you're just someone on the Internet. :-) I was asking what the actual source of your claim is. Somewhere in a "79 page IPC document" isn't helpful as it doesn't really narrow down the search. I doubt you would accept someone making the claim that the CMO outright lied if they offered you the same lack of evidence. In this case, I can point you to the dictionary definition of the word "incidental" which is much more general than what the CMO used. I can point you to a research paper attempting to quantify the number of incidental cases of SARS-CoV-2 in Los Angeles that doesn't use as narrow a definition as our CMO did, which would seem to contradict the claim you made that he was using a generally accepted definition within the sphere of public health.

You're claiming that there is a much more specific definition of the word "incidental" than is generally understood somewhere in an "79 page IPC document" that you can't or won't point me to. In the absence of any evidence to the contrary I'm questioning this, as I imagine you would if someone made a claim that you found questionable without providing any evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Fully rolled back? Not a hope in hell of our lot doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,468 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Goldengirl threadbanned

Advertisement