Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The FDA controls all of that very closely, they still refer to it using the old name in their literature but specify that the marketing name is Comirnaty, no "clever bastards" involved at all.

Comirnaty and Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine | FDA

Not sure if they have to re-label existing stocks in storage (obviously it couldn't be done for those already distributed), but legally, they'll be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

They arent the same legally. The FDA approval explicitly states that they are "legally distinct". The ones labelled as pfizer biontech are still under an EUA and therefore pfizer are not subject to liabilty for those (?). See page 2 footnote 8 here.

Unfortunately (or fortunately for pfizer), the fda also stated that there are insufficient stocks of the Comirnaty one available for use but sufficient amounts of pfizer biontech. Seems like a ploy to evade liability to me but maybe I'm too cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Russman

I hear what you're saying, but I'm not sure it ultimately matters though. It might be a very different thing on an individual level, but if we go back to the original "flatten the curve" graph/mantra of 2020, I know some might ridicule it etc, but was it ever really about stopping deaths or illnesses per se ? from vague memory it was as much about spreading them out over a longer timeframe so the capacity of the hospitals wasn't breached at any one point in time.

I mean hypothetically if we've the ability to deal with 2,000 covid positive patients (total guess, no idea what the actual number is) in our hospitals, and 1,800 are there one day, does it matter how they got there ? They're still there and still need to be isolated and dealt with differently than a non covid positive person who can be on a regular ward. That's really all the hospitals number is IMO, a measure of usage of a given, limited, resource.

Of course, I don't buy the whole "fear" narrative, so there's that too I guess, but can readily see your point about the compliance with restrictions angle even if I don't agree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

I understand why you think it doesn't matter.

I think you are wrong.

I'm not trying to convince you to agree with me.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

If we're not afraid then why have we eradicated our culture and destroyed our way of life? Especially since we're also lectured to that 'nobody' is in favour of these restrictions. No one is in favour of them - no one! - but they have to go on continuously for years (soon to become year three) and posters like yourself will spend those years rebutting anyone who argues for their repeal in a sort of ping-pong debate that's never resolved.

• Advertisement

I think I see that bit here, do they have to have separate vials for the non-Comirnaty use cases? (under 16) or can they use Comirnaty vials everywhere? The expiry date should see them moved on relatively quickly (i.e. 6 months from the first Comirnaty vials appearing in the US)

COMIRNATY (COVID-19 Vaccine, mRNA) is licensed for individuals 16 years of age and older. There remains, however, a significant amount of Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine that was manufactured and labeled in accordance with this emergency use authorization. The authorization remains in place with respect to the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine for this population.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

None of the vials are labeled Comirnaty, that's the point. No one I know has received that, even as recently as December. It is still labelled pfizer biontech (these are adults but pretty sure 12-16 use the same vials as 16+ for now but they won't be able to use comirnaty for that age group when it is available). Interesting about the expiry dates. Surely we should be seeing some comirnaty labelled products by now in that case?

All I can find is this quote

"Given the current ongoing pandemic, a gradual transition to new labeling with the COMIRNATY brand name will occur at a later date."

There must be a reason they are delaying this, they arent stupid and I'm sure its for liability reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

We've eradicated our culture and destroyed our way of life now?! Fúck. Nobody told me.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

A bit late in the game for sorrys, but it's better than nothing, and more than we will ever see from our own media class

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,432 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Russman

".....posters like yourself will spend those years rebutting......" WTF ?? Get a grip. What am I rebutting ? I asked a poster a question and we have different opinions, and that's ok. Is debate now only a one way thing on here ? I don't really give a flying f--k what anyone on Boards argues for, its completely meaningless, I thought it was a place for a bit of debate and exchange of views and very occasionally gaining some interesting information or opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Head in the sand post of the day.

It’s going to take a lot of time to deprogramme people after this (probably after booster 25) I fear many are permanently damaged and I’d rather not think what the effects will be on children.

I hope I’m wrong but we could be looking at a generation of neurotic hypochondriacs.

Someone I know who used to be perfectly sane, well balanced and intelligent was giving out stink the other day about the way Premier League footballers celebrate a goal, imagine being that ****ed up!

Maybe Gary Lineker will announce ‘socially distanced goal of month’?

He is not an isolated case and there are thousands and thousands of loonies like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Getting angry about a post and posting that anger is self defeating. It means you have...lost. At least that is how i see it. Just let it go. There is no headmaster tut tutting and sending anyone to the corner. It looks like a newby mistake. Dont get angry, ignore and move on.😺

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Wait a sec - now you’re using ‘flatten the curve’ to actually mean flatten the curve and spread the level of illness and death, not prevent it?

That’s your ‘vague memory’ from 2020? So when we had close to zero in hospital positive with Covid and a handful of cases we were still flattening the curve?

High hospital numbers - need to flatten the curve to protect hospitals. Very low hospital numbers - need to, em, flatten that curve with restrictions through the Summer months.

”..but was it ever about really about stopping deaths or illnesses per se”.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

I said newby but you are obviously not w over 5000 posts. Strange..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭MOR316

Never getting that from Richard Chambers...

Well, maybe in his next book that I'm sure will be out for the next Christmas market.

Absolute cretin!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭brickster69

Covid passports were introduced in July in France. It really seems to be doing a grand job protecting the great unwashed going to hospital.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Cop on. None of what you have described is an eradication of culture and destroying our way of life. It's pure hyperbole. It's bullshíte.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

• Advertisement

I don't think that would be the reason, they could have continued existing as was, same as Moderna and Janssen, and not gone for full approval, I guess Europe leads the way in this area and everyone was giving out about the EMA being too slow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

I’m wondering what normal life was like for you before covid if that is truly what you think.

I remember, for example, at one stage something like 13 beaches in Donegal were closed to the public due to covid!

You must love the restrictions - good for you but some of the rest of us want to move on. You can choose to continue mask wearing, not going out to pubs after 8pm etc if you want.

You do remember having the freedom to choose I hope.

Because Martin is supposed to be in charge of the country. Because he’s the reason we never opened up fully last summer. Because he’s the one that came up with the ludicrous decision to say we would open up at the end of October at the start of the flu season. Because he’s supposed to be in charge of a country that has almost everybody double vaccinated and boosted and we are STILL under ridiculous fcuking restrictions. And most importantly of all in my opinion he is the man who has given the keys to the country to an unelected fanatic who seems to be hell bent on destroying certain areas of Irish society. THATS why.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yep agree with that let people decide for themselves

Stay inside if you don't feel safe etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭MOR316

No St. Patrick's Day for two years in a row; Last year, at the request of NPHET/Tony Holohan, Gardai set up check points at bus stations and train stations to stop people from going outside the 5km radius.

Making you choose between having your freedom or not over a vaccine, your medical business, which last time I checked was ethically wrong. Possibly legally too but, everyone is afraid to challenge that narrative (Except the people who got caught going outside the 5km. They challenged it and it was rightfully dropped for legal reasons!)

Not allowed go to work. Been made to work from home for 2 years

No music in pubs, bars or venues. Loads of artists, performers and musicians, that the country is renowned for, put out of work and left penniless.

The pub culture, practically destroyed.

Tony Holohan taking to Twitter to pour scorn on those drinking take away drinks on South Williamt St, people who weren't causing trouble, only for the Gardai to arrive over the following days to conduct violent methods and thus attract scummy trouble makers to the area...

Tourist attractions and places of interest around the city, mostly shut down for the majority of the last two years.

The match going GAA experience completely destroyed.

A Government the people never elected running the show, but hiding behind an unelected medical civil servant, with a suspect past, thus basically **** on the idea of a "democracy" we're supposed to have in this country

I mean, would you like me to go on? It's very easy for you because you are allowed in your local pub without a vaccine or pass and you can shoot over the boarder any time you wish for gigs, sessions and meeting up with friends. Unfortunately, your whole "well I'm alright therefore the rest of you should stop complaining" mindset and approach to posting, doesn't work for people who are not in the same boat as you

Ah, dug in a bit more and it was a Robert Malone (Malone even admitted he got it wrong and withdrew the statement) interview and facebook posts 🤨

The false claim that the fully-approved Pfizer vaccine lacks liability protection - The Washington Post

@ceadaoin. stop being duped!

follow up that liability in the US doesn't change from emergency to full approval due to the existence of the PREP act:

“The liability protections afforded under the PREP Act are tied to the declared public health emergency and not whether the vaccine is sold under an EUA,” Castillo said. “Therefore, both Comirnaty and the Pfizer-BioNTech covid-19 vaccine receive the same liability protections as medical countermeasures against covid-19.”

“There are no liability or compensation differences between a countermeasure approved under an EUA or one that has received full FDA approval,” confirmed an HHS spokesperson.

Penfailed has stated before that he can go a whole week without being restricted so he doesn’t give a **** that other people are restricted.

Obviously he will now spend the next day or two denying that he said that, but he did.

There were only two beaches closed that I am aware of. There may have been more closed than that. I really don't care because there were many more open than closed. I have moved on. I detest the restrictions but my culture hasn't been eradicated and my way of life hasn't been decimated. Pubs closed at 8pm? House parties and shebeens. Normality will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

And according to some if you aren’t enthusiastic about every aspect of the covid theatre (ref Lord Frost on Planet Normal podcast - which is not anti vaxx in case mods take this reference down) you are selfish.

• Advertisement

To sum up, you think our culture revolves around pubs and drinking. How very sad.

Advertisement