Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new chipper rathfarnham village main street

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭iwasliedto

double

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Went here tonight, looked nice and the menu was solid. My google review:

Where is the sauce?

This is a new place so I'm happy to come back and revisit this review. Overall the food was pretty good, about the same as another funky fish&chip takeaway I've frequented in Dun Laoghaire.

We ordered a fish and chips and a scampi and chips. The scampi and fish were excellent, the chips were so-so.

I'd rate this as a 4-star if it weren't for the tartare sauce. 2 euro each for the smallest tub of sauce. I was pretty light with it and still couldn't get enough for all the scampi, let alone the chips. 2 euro for a 50ml pot. Think about that, that's 40 euro/Litre. That pushed a 29 euro meal for 2 to 33 euro, and still not enough sauce.

For comparison, Colman's is 8.76/Litre from Supervalu.

I honestly hope they do well and I would like to reassess this review at some point, but I would expect twice the amount of tartare sauce at that price. Or I should just buy it from Colman's in advance.

I realise that this sounds like I get really upset over sauce. Not normally, no. But 4 euro for 2 x 50 ml pots and still not having enough sauce to enjoy the meal pushed the right buttons. I don't mind there being a markup on things that probably come out of a caterer's vat bought from the cash&carry, but I expect it to be reasonable. 40 euro/Litre is just extortionate and had I known it would be only 50ml pots I wouldn't have bothered with the sauce!

Would I go back? Unlikely. We have Chutni nearby which is all the fast food I need and at a reasonable price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,362 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Rathfarnham village used to have 3 'proper' chippers in it's heyday. This doesn't count as one. Another hipster joint selling chipper-like food. Probably very good, but not a place to go to get a curry chips to eat leaning at 45 degrees to the rain on the way home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Thanks Dirkvoodoo. Haven't been there yet, but curious about the fish/batter. Is it the hard batter a la chipper, or something more light and fresh. I remember a chipper on Dame Street a few years ago (gone now) that battered it in front of you before frying it. Them were the days.

You haven't been there? (like me).. But you can say it doesn't count as a chipper? And not a place to get curry chips even though it sells chips and sells curry sauce? 🤔

• Advertisement

Oh no, nothing like a chipper in fairness. Batter was very tender and the fish wasn't dry or flaky. The scampi had a very thin coat of batter but they were big juicy prawns underneath. The quality of the fish was worth the price. The chips were just a bit forgettable, I'm more of a "frittes" fan but these were more like chipper chips from a bag. A pretty mixed bag!

My main issue was just the sauce. As an extra it should be a decent size and not something that I can only dip 4 or 5 scampi in before its exhausted.

I'd be slow to go back, I'd put it that way. They seem really nice and you want places like that to succeed, but they aren't making it easy to recommend them. Some really good stuff mixed with some really poor stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Luigis was a nice chipper back in the day after the pub. I remember the owner giving me a sample of their kebab a few days before his unfortunate demise.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/i-said-id-love-to-kill-him-for-you-26160899.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thefallingman

i bet it's not a patch on Franco Saccos old place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Mav11

I reckon that none of them could beat Macari's on Newtownpark Ave. Still a proper Italian chipper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,678 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Forgot about that. I wonder how VW is doing now

I was more of a Cascarinos man myself.

• Advertisement

Well, I received no reply to my review or social media comments. They are probably doing well based on all of the influencers stories they keep sharing.

Unfortunately, influencers are easily bored and always looking for the next trend, if it were my business I'd be more interested in establishing a solid base of repeat and local customers.

I can confirm that I won't be going back. And once I figure out how TikTok works I'm sure they'll take notice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,258 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

We ordered two fish and chips and got 1 free sauce. If thats the post size then Im not surprised you are annoyed, its unsuitable for anything other than a couple of scampi or gougons.

Good to see they are at least giving a free one now! Maybe my feedback mattered after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

Any idea what happened to this place? Closed down fairly quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

A lot of fish and chip places are struggling.

Potatoes have soared in price, good fish has jumped in price, electrity and gas are still at high levels but down from the 70+c / 16c unit costs of August - December.

If something isn't making a return, the best advice is to cut your losses and close.

It was strange that they didn't even post a notice on the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

They were pretentious. Who wants to pay over the odds for fish and chips when there's a well established chipper a few doors away not ripping people off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

My guess is that poster hasn't been in rathfarnham for a few years.

Nearest chippy is probably Silvio's on nutgrove avenue.

• Advertisement

Thats what I was thinking, its a toss up between Silvios in nutgrove (or terenure!) and maybe Roma near the shopping centre. Hasnt been a proper chipper in the village in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I apologise, I didnt know the chipper (now Casanova's) was gone. I do live locally but clearly I walk around with my eyes closed!

Advertisement