Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Absolutely bizarre input from her.

Even when asked if Djokovic is the favourite to win she has to get a dig in that she wouldn't use the word favourite in association to Djokovic...even though she knew the question being asked.

Then she said there was a non zero chance the australians could invade the court and dismember him as she laughed while saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

The agenda is very simple. The Covid zeitgeist in Ireland right now is a hamfisted one of “those people who don’t want to take the vaccine are evil”. Not sure why, but that’s how it is. The Djokovic story is a ready-made vehicle upon which to hammer home this point. Get vaccinated or you are worth less than the sh1t on my boot I stepped in on my morning stroll. Disclaimer again, I’ve take two vaccines and a booster so save the anti vax jibes if you’d loaded them TMH.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,027 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

It's as odds to their take on the Tyrone football situation last summer.

OTB led the cry to give Tyrone a postponement, leading to a 4 weeks delay in finishing the championship and massive disruption to others left in the competition, because Tyrone took the decision not to get their players vaccinated in case they got sick from the vaccine and missed league games.

Easier to take Novak to task rather than upset people who you will be looking to contribute to the show later I suppose.

I don't post much and am not really on many other threads, but the place seems to be poorly moderated and that must have an impact on the standard of the debate. Once the loonies are allowed in, they aren't long in taking over the asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,631 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Why did you take 2 vaccines and a booster?

I'll hazard that it was because you wanted to protect yourself, your family or whatever and you trusted the process to do so.

Djokovic held a tennis tournament in serbia last year in the height of the Covid pandemic at which there were no controls and several people, including himself and his wife got Covid. That was reckless and putting people at risk.

Any public figure who is demonstrating distrust in the vaccine and medical guidance process around Covid is partly to blame for the deaths of people who pay attention to what they say without having the same access to immediate and extensive medical treatments should they become sick.

It's completely reckless to advocate in one direction knowing that you will not suffer but that those who listen to you are much more likely to. It smacks of that Lord Farquad wuote from Shrek, 'Some of you may die, but it's a sacrafice I'm willing to make'.

In the US, a study identified that of the people who were vaccinated and yet died from Covid, 75% of them had 4 or more comorbidities. Conservative media is running riot the last few days saying that 75% of all covid deaths are people with 4 or more comorbidities and hence the vaccine does not work. It was only 75% of those who died, and those who died having had the vaccine was only 2.5% of all the deaths in the study and yet this misinformation is running rife and people will ignore the vaccine and likely some will die as a consequence. The people spreading this, including the former presidents son are doing so to prolong the crisis so they can hammer Biden in saying that he is not stopping it. Take Tucker Carlson for example, advocating against vaccine mandates while working in a company that has a vaccine mandate. That is your agenda in all this, if you're looking for one.

• Advertisement

Moderation has gone off the deep end since the changeover to the new platform. And its massively impactful on the general feel and tone around the site.

There's a comment on another radio/podcast thread which is insulting people with autism. At least 3 people have reported it, 2 weeks later, it's still there.

Look you are obviously of the looney, self-loathing left and probably even put your pronouns at the end of your email sig. You and I are diametrically opposed in our political views and I’m not even a conservative, I’m pro-choice etc but I draw the line at people like you who despise a live and let live approach to life. You can now have the last word because after it, I’m going back to talking about OTB. Having accused them of endless political talking, I’m starting to feel dirty doing it myself.

I’m going back to talking about OTB.

I think that's a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The Second Captains coverage of Djokovic has been brilliant. Its hard to imagine at times they were ever on OTB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 MaryFlynn

I would agree with this. I don’t know why there is such an anti female vibe around women presenters on a sports show?

What has politics got to do with it? I've never hinted at my political views on here and don't intend to, though you are way off the mark. Not sure why you bring that into it. What I can't stand is people who barrel in here once every few months spouting their usual nonsense. And worse are the trolls who have appeared from nowhere. You could set your watch by it. They have nothing to offer only bile, negativity and insults. They just abuse anyone who disagrees with them and have no interest in any form of debate. They have ruined this thread.

I'm not sure I was referring to you in any of my posts either to be honest. There is a cohort of people out there - and disproportionately on Boards - who seem threatened by everything - the left, women, wokeism etc. You wouldn't want to be Freud to figure out why these people behave the way they do.

Save your breath dancinpants. That poster suggested I am of the 'self loathing looney left and probably broadcast my pronouns' and that they are of a diametrically opposite political view and considers himself a centrist. Both statements can't be true, if they think they and I are diametrically opposed then however far I am on the left, they are on the right. And while I don't broadcast my pronouns I am perfectly fine with being seen as having a polar opposite political view than what they and many others around this place also have.

What I found funniest about their post (in a shaking my head fashion) was them suggesting I 'despise a live and let live approach to life' when all they seem to do on here is spend all their time b*tching at the tone and content of OTB show, hosts and contributors. Obviously they hold other people to a higher standard than they do themselves. None of which is surprising

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

He's had covid twice without any issues. Why does he need a vaccine?

To help minimise how many others he can infect if he gets it

They had two different contributors giving an interesting insight into the whole fiasco, there was no agenda. Murph did a brilliant summary of the whole story behind him being in public while having Covid. Ken and Eoin both gave their unbiased insight too with a good dose of humour

It clearly doesn't do that

The benefits are that it prevents you becoming seriously ill, he doesn't seem to need help in that regard

The less seriously unwell you become makes you less likely to pass it on to others as you will be ill for a shorter period and apparently likely to dispel less infectious content through that period as well.

It's madness to suggest that as he has recovered twice he doesn't need further help with respect to a virus that is mutating.

He's had it twice with no issues.

Every mutation to date it become less dangerous

Most people need a test to confirm they have it now as symptoms are so mild

I'd say he'll be grand, we're talking about one of the most impressive sports athlete of all time, not some granny with diabetes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Switched on this evening and couldn't believe the disgusting generalisations of men and women spewed by Nathan. "It must be said that it's not ALL men, but it is ALL women who are fearful when they step out the door"

I went for my usual walk tonight and just like normal, plenty of women out walking and running.

If you listened to the scare mongering media women would be locked inside afraid to peep out the window. According to the likes of Nathan, all man have no fear of anything and all women are scared shitless.

And then some Malachy guy..."we need to realise women have different lived lives than men, things happen to women that don't happen to men".....not surprised he didn't include "and some things happen to men that don't happen to women".

Obviously you didn't learn your lesson after getting rightly banned from a thread on the subject with the **** you went on with last night.

Nothing that Nathan or Malachy said is false by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

OTB is a bit wanky really, but it’s kinda good at the same time.

Whenever they’re talking about hurling I usually get the sense they haven’t got a notion, but they do try anyway. The whole thing can be quite pretentious and even sanctimonious, but at times it is good in a way.

Talking about vaccines would be right up their street, any kind of moral issue is grist to the OTB mill.

He hasn't said he has had issues, that doesn't mean he hasn't had any. It's just been our luck that they so far have trended towards the Covid mutations being less harmful, no guarantee that this will continue to be the case. Most people need a test to confirm symptoms as most people are vaccinated.

I'd say he'll be grand

Two things about this

A - Are you medically qualified to state this?

B - He probably will be, age, fitness, access to care are all massively in his favour. But he sets an example. It isn't just about him.

Jayesdiem is advocating for a live and let live approach to life. Waiting for him to clarify if this means letting OTB talk about what they want to or if it is only to do with him telling others to shut up.

Tommy Walsh is excellent on hurling on OTB as well it's worth mentioning. Hardly surprising given his experience but he's good to listen talking about it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

7.30 to 10. I usually watch it delayed, on youtube, when it's nearly over. Can skip over the bits I have no interest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Ah he is good, tbf, I just mean the regular presenters really, when they’re asking questions and stuff they kinda seem to be regurgitating stuff they read, really someone else’s view.

To be fair you can’t be Knowledgeable on every sport and they do their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Your username is "pussyhands" for fcuks sake and I doubt it's because you like cats. You are part of the problem

It is about him, it's his body and his choice.

He won 3 grand slams last year after getting covid and is now back on the hunt for another after having covid only 4 weeks ago,safe to say it's not doing him any harm.

A vaccine gives you antibodies. Having covid gives you even more and better antibodies. He is more protected currently than triple vaxed people and has the benefit of being one of the greatest athletes around so ya again I'd say he'll be grand.

It's a witch hunt, a do as we say mantra, a we took it so why don't you attitude.

It's idiotic really.

• Advertisement

What's idiotic is non-medically qualified people attempting to determine the correct course action with respect to a highly contagious disease.

And that goes for statements around whether or not the best course of action is to catch covid or to get vaccinated.

Djokovic doesn't exist in isolation, he will be engaging with other peoples and is effectively telling them 'I am confident I am going to be ok, I don't care about what may happen to you or others you come in to contact with'.

Advertisement