Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS5 thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I kinda don't want to pay more than 60 a year for my sub but I've a feeling tier 3 will be a bit more than that and the PS2 and especially PS3 games will draw me in. I saw today that Mark Cerny has a patent for backwards compatibility but that could be completely standard. I'm gonna jump to the conclusion that it's for PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

I'm thinking the same, the PS2 and PS3 games might entice me to the top tier.

Hopefully Sony don't shaft current subscribers though. If they provided a discount upgrade (unlikely to be free) to top tier it would go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I was just going to ask that, I have a stacked ps+ sub and 10 months left on ps now sub. How will they roll existing subs into this new model I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

If its not a reasonable one off upgrade payment its bad craic, less than 15/20 is probably reasonable.

Unless the service is exceptional anything more is crazy, its exciting to see what they do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They'll time apportion your remaining subs and give you an option to convert pro rata to one of the three tiers is my guess.

So if the price is €80, €120 and €160 per year and you've 6 months left on your Plus sub they'll give you an option of getting 4.5, 3 or 2.25 months of each new tier.

I don't see them offering the 1:1 upgrade that Microsoft offers when converting Live to Game Pass Ultimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jesus, if tier 1 is 80, i don't think I'd bother with the service at all, nevermind 160. If it is 3 tiers, i imagine it to be 60, 80 and 100 per year.

Plus is €60 and Now is €60 so I think they'll try for €120 for the year. I can't see them combining those and selling them for less than €100.

I think they'll do €40 as the gap between tiers so that's how I picked €80 and €160 but if they do €100 for the mid tier then drop these by €20 each.

If you want cloud saves then you'll have to pay for one of them. It still pisses me off that Sony charge for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

New trailer for GT7. Looks absolutely glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Oh GT7 is looking buttery smooth. Definitely picking it up as soon as I'm able. Interested to see how the DualSense is implemented, because I have a G29 but that don't have haptics (ermagherd, haptic steering wheel... get on it Sony!).

Re: Spartacus, I've no interest in the 4/3/2/1 games, so mid tier sounds like it's for me. Trying playing Fable Anniversary last night in GP, and it made me queasy, like many games I've tried that are pre-PS4 era. So second tier for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Picked up my purple Dualsense today. Have to say that I love it and the colour is really lovely.

Didn't realise that Gamestop have exclusive rights in Ireland to the purple version which is an odd one to secure exclusivity on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Isn't force feedback as haptic feedback?? I wish my G29 pedals had feedback too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I mean yeah, it's feedback and it's quite good, but I wouldn't call it haptics, it feels rougher than that. Still way better than a standard controller, well be interesting to compare it to the DualSense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Dirt 5 has haptic feedback so it's an interesting precursor into how GT will implement it. Will be interested to see if that added haptic feedback detail that is included in GT7 is integrated into the newer wheels that are out there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The Artful Escape coming to PlayStation. Excited for this one as it looks great and has had a great reception on XBox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

I let my ps plus sub lapse last November for the first time in years. Just don't think it's worth it anymore, I generally play single player games so the multiplayer angle doesn't come into it.

As for PS1/2/3 games I couldn't care less they look shocking on new hardware and I'm surprised people make such a big deal about them.

The rumoured shake up of ps+ doesn't look like it'll pull me back in unless it's more on the lines of gamepass (which it won't be)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

I thought the PS Plus collection made up for a fairly mediocre year of monthly games on average in comparison to other years. But if that wasn't there as I probably wouldn't have renewed this year either.

Yes the PS Plus collection was good the problem was i already had most of the games on it ha. But its a great concept and they should continue it and refresh IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

It's a couple of years since I've played a Call of Duty game, but will the Microsoft take over of Activision mean the end of COD on PlayStation? Would surely be a big blow to Sony. As has been mentioned before, a lot of people are just getting consoles to play the likes of COD or FIFA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Yeah, it will be a massive blow to Sony. Cue the rumours that Microsoft will be buying Sony soon azer will be no one else left to buy ;)

I have to agree about it being a huge blow to Sony and this is after the Bethesda purchase too. Microsoft are really putting their money where their mouth is.

Be interesting to see what Sony do

It also doesn't help when Sony are charging for some of the PS4 to PS5 upgrades when Microsoft just give it to you.

Sony need to come out with something similar to Smart Delivery. It's a bit of a faf on PlayStation to get the best version of a game downloaded compared to on Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

I have to disagree, if Microsoft buy up everything there will be no competition anymore which will be bad for gamers, you will have to pay what Microsoft want and by then there will be no other competition left.

Imagine if Microsoft buy whoever makes the fifa games, that with call or duty is most of ges sales every year.

I would be worried,

It's good for gamepass, but in the long run it will be bad for gamers

EA would cost even more than this acquisition so I don't think that's on the cards. Anyway EA Play is included in Game Pass already so they've that service available already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It's not good for gaming as a whole. Like the Bethesda acquisition, I'm sure most Activision titles will now be exclusive. The rest of us lose. Personally, nothing in their IP list interests me. I absolutely loved the Spyro remaster but no interest in new titles. If they bring back the THPS Remaster team for 3+4 I'll likely have it on PC Game Pass.

Apparently the cost of the acquisition is more than Microsoft's profits from Xbox as a whole from the last 20 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There's definitely little in either the Zenimax or Activision acquisitions that hugely interest me as a gamer. Overwatch 2 would be a big hit to lose, and the games from Arkane. I loved Crash 4 but if I didn't get to play any further games I'd be okay. The games I'm most looking forward to over the next few years are the likes of Horizon, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, whatever Naughty Dog do next, Spider-Man 2, Wolverine.... These are the types of games I get most excited about and look forward to the most, and Playstation do those types of games better than anyone. Even with Microsoft's acquisitions, they don't hold anything for me that matches those games (never been a Fallout/Elder Scrolls guy). Maybe Hellblade 2 but I haven't played the original yet even on Playstation.

But the value of Gamepass is insane to me. Even the likes of Hades and now Death's Door being free on Gamepass is fantastic, games I was skeptical of buying because I'm not always a fan of those types of games but took a punt on because of how well received they were on PC. I'd be more likely to give games like that a try on Gamepass, because they're free.

What that means for the devs who make those types of games given that they don't get money from sales but rather through whatever deal they do with Microsoft is another story. Likewise, if the big franchises are losing money from sales, does it push them even harder to implement additional revenue like microtransactions, battlepasses etc? If so, does that impact the games themselves as we've seen previously where lootbox or mtx implementation causes games to become more of a grind or more pared back content to encourage the purchase of those things (eg. Shadow of War, Fallout 76), even more so than we've already seen happen.

Gamepass is a great deal for gamers. No question. I'm not overly convinced that it's the best for the games themselves, or some of the smaller devs.

Advertisement