Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda owns man he sees hitting a woman

Options

Comments

Been following this on reddit too and a couple of posters who are local reckon this garda carries on like this a fair bit.

But that's just hearsay.

We don't have context, no. But we do have expectations of gardai code of conduct which this clearly miserably fails, even a short video without context tells us that.

paramedics get a lot of abuse and deal with addicts, overdoses etc on a daily basis, but you never hear of them throwing their weight around like this. It's unprofessional and uncalled for.

Dont like the guy? Arrest him then, if he's committed a crime. No need to scream at him like your Gordon Ramsey on meth innit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Lol impossible to comment? Didn't seem to stop you forming an opinion. The video wasn't edited, a member of the public decided to film an uncalled for interaction after the situation was clearly all under control.

'A long-term behavioural issue which has been repeated many times'.

I do agree with you on that front though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭mikethecop

its was political stunt insisted on by the oversight groups who have no experience or idea of actual real world policing ,

and who said it was signed or agreed to by anyone ??

in reality you have and ideal you would like from the police , but no experience or knowledge of the actual issues encountered

im not going to engage you jim because ive seen your agenda in other threads before and have no interest in wasting my time to be honest but i am going to point out a few inaccurate statements you've insisted are true in you post

Almost no garda knows what they are signing up for unless they have dont the job in another country prior to joining here.

It is not acceptable or fair to give gardai some "argy bargy " just because they are there and expect them to take it happily.

If you start off in your early 20s, your in your late 30s before the money is actually good enough to buy a home , no free mortgages as some one suggested on this site in the past. health insurance is higher as is insurance due to shift work. Over time has to be worked and is often not voluntary ie courts in service classes , courses if your lucky enough to get one etc .it is paid at time and a half and heavily taxed same as everyone else , not x2 as many think Of course after 4 12 hour days in a row you might like a day of to recover physically or spend time with family

The pension is good thats true , the starting wage is disgraceful for the many roles covered (many non policing related) and has been for quiet some time. 12 hour days min providing 24 hour cover. with often dangerously low manpower resources awful equipment substandard uniform and cars, extremely low quality politically appointed senior management that would be unacceptable in a private company.

oppressive excessive inexperienced and unqualified oversight groups interfering in policing resulting in about 20 present of your time on non investigative admin and unnecessary multiples of record keeping.

Next to no support from politicians inspite of the perception that AGS are the jack booted tools of the government. Next to no support from the courts too , Prosecutions of assaults on gardai (section 19) are usually not taken regardless of injury's as it can lead to expensive circuit court trials so are dealt with in district court

In the past the average was one garda being assaulted every day , thats increased during the last 2 years of course. Many more incident of spitting and biting hoping to spread covid. Threats against gardai and their family's are regular and assaults are regularly carried out both on and off duty , cars are slashed or burned fairly often too. They dont have the option to walk away or ignore a threat the same way you do and if they react the allegation against them are taken in a different context that the initial threat , Idle my hole

There are huge issues with recruitment and in fact retention of people due to the conditions as well as the pay , large numbers of people leave in the first 2 years and those who have upskilled to improve their position in the organisation find that they can do mush better for themselves and family's with out any of the negatives in the private section .

so ya most everything you posted is incorrect but dont let the facts get in the way of your agenda jim,

I do agree wholeheartedly with you about doctors and particularity nurses

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If the scrot hit a girl, I’d pay good money to see the Garda batter the living shyte out of him. Unfortunately it would be the Garda in trouble instead of the scrot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Anyone giving out about that Garda would want to take those chips off their shoulders.

It's an opinions board. People have different opinions.

Differing from yours doesn't equal = chip on shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

You're not going to engage with me but you feel the need to go into a detailed response to my post that wasn't directed at you. Makes sense.

You may say I have an agenda but you have a very clear one making out none of us know how hard policing is, in one of the safest countries in the world. And how hard Gards have it here, poor souls. Also your tone with other posters who dared question the professionalism of the gard in this question, says it all. As in they don't have a clue what policing in the real world is like. Spare us all. You'd sware to god, you're all a bunch of Lionhearts or something. Very different to the experience of the vast majority of the public though. Lazy, apathetic, slow to do anything, certainly will never put yourselves in harms way, corrupt as we are finding out more everyday, the list goes on. But if there is some guy accused of hitting a woman, ye come out acting like a white knight. Thats not the kind of police force this country needs.

If someone is signing up to be a Gard & they dont know that they wont experience a bit of abuse from scumbag members of the public every now & then, I dont know what to say. This is certainly not the type of gard the public needs. What type of job do they really think they're getting into??Seriously. Plenty of other jobs & careers out there. No one is forcing gards to do this job. Yet there is a thread on this very site of many people very keen to sign up to be a gard, I wonder why. I havent seen many other recruitment threads.

The rest of your post is a load of bull, you've provided zero links or zero real evidence.

Truth of the matter is, ye get to retire extremely young, 50 to 55 usually, paid a handsome pension, nepotism is rife within the organisation, corruption is rife as we are starting to find out, ye are paid on average extremely well in comparison to other members of the public sector, accountability seems to be a foreign word, the list goes on.

The only people who have a chip around here is the many wannabe gards & actual gards who think they shouldnt be held to the same standards as the rest of the public & the public service. Given free rein to act like a bollox & shout when they feel like it. Jesus wept.

Great contribution, jog on if you've nothing better to say.

• Advertisement

I think my one word is more relevant than your many.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Fortunately it would be the Garda in trouble…. We employ them to enforce the law, not carry out their own version of punishment / justice by breaking the law…

If others have no or low standards, you don’t lower your standards to engage with them.

Agree. And I'd add to that that to be involved in public service, which is essentially what AGS is supposed to be, a requirement must be that you are good with people.

Please don't get me wrong, many gardai are good with people, then there's gobshites like this who literally use their position to vent their anger. Gardai need to be trained in both people skills and (especially ones like this), anger management. No one is denying it's a stressful job, but they should at least be qualified and have the character for it.

We've seen decades of gardai abusing their positions in every way possible, and in this day and age it shouldn't be happening.

It doesn't matter what the context is to what happened, verbally abusing a member of the public is wrong. At least we live in the age of smartphones and social media so what's always been denied in now in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Black was not unarmed, he had a machete and after being tasered still did not go down. That was an indication that he uncontrollable on drugs.

Slava Ukrainii

that was sarcasm pointing out the rational of the poster was responding to

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Sorry but it easy to exaggerate either way. The guard may have over reacted. But there is probably a reason. There is a good chance the women that gobshite assaulted will not press charges. It's similar with women being battered in the home by spouses or partners.

It's 90%+ that even if charged the gobshite will be bailed/released within 24 hours to go back and beat the sh!the out of her or another women next time he has a few jars. 10+ years ago we complained about guards walking not investigating properly violence against women.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I’ve a friend in the traffic corp. You have to agree to and sign it. The clue is on the name “declaration”. They declare that they will follow it.

Treating people with dignity is not an “political stunt/ideal”, it’s a minimum level of decency.

Sorry, but that is not the way to handle it.

He should do what he's supposed to. Arrest the man if a crime has been committed; decently and within the boundaries of the law.

If he deems the woman in danger then he or a female colleague should quietly discuss her options, the help that is available ie women's aid etc.

Gardaí should be treating people as fellow humans. It's not fecking difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I kind of understand this copper now after recent events.

I'm thinking, from reading little details in other threads, that if I was in a job where I would arrest a man for beating a woman. He would then be released on bail by the courts, and go on to ambush and murder another woman, then I would spend my days screaming too.

• Advertisement

cast iron proof so , your friend eh ? 😏 how to they enforce that i wonder forcing people to sign declarations

not what i said at all , the document is a political stunt come up by one of the many oversight groups

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭billyhead

Get out the violin. If this is the general attitude out their we are a real bunch of snowflakes. He just expressed his feelings towards the culprit. It was a heat of the moment thing. Smartphones and all these independent oversight body's is the worse thing that happened to policing in this country. Bring back the days when offenders were giving a good clip across the ear to sort them out. Nowadays you can't say boo or leave a finger on them . No wonder the Gardai are demoralised in the job. Were turning into a shower of pussies if your opinion is the general consensus out their. And don't get me started on the revolving door judicial system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Screaming at the person you are arresting ensures they won’t go free though.

I suppose you think kids should be given a clip round the ear too when they misbehave, yeah?

Let's bring out the violins for the poor gardai because of those darn smartphones and social media forcing our corrupt force to take accountability for their actions.

It's very difficult to take posters like you seriously tbh.

I think it is safe to say that people who have a problem with men hitting women would also think extremely poorly of the beating of children. But I suppose it has a lot to do with upbringing Glossy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I'd probably be found sitting on the roof of the house at night screaming into the darkness at the futility of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Won't some one think of the wife beaters?

What did he say that was so awful or hurtful to the wife beater?

It would hardly register in secondary school or a half time match dressing down.

Are you worried that it could be you next? If it wasn't a woman he was beating up, would you care about him being called out for it?

I suspect not.

Reality is that you won't have to face that barrage if they are knocking on your door. Take it easy.

It's absolutely not unreasonable to expect that a policeman conducts himself in a professional manner.

Screaming at somebody isn't professional.

If he wasn't wearing a uniform, he could have easily been pulled up on a public order offence.

Again, nobody is defending anyone who engages in violent behaviour, that's indefensible. But I would like to think that our police don't get to act like common thugs either. They should be held to a higher standard as they are the people we should trust to uphold the law.

It's not fair to frame people who expect more from the police as people who support criminals.

It's a cheap and lazy tactic to shame people into silence.

You don’t see the benefit in shaming the guy into thinking before he hits another girl?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He had a few hard words for him, it wasn't that rough or intense. A few bold words but it hardly set records or wouldn't.

Your man didn't even flinch for a second.

Advertisement