Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Some man for the long, rambling, nonsense diatribes.

Throw us up one statement or policy decision that Trump made that was against LEGAL migrants. Should be easy.

Regarding the criminal Ms Mulqueen, we have enough welfare drains in Ireland, we do not need to import more, and people experiencing "economic depravation" shouldn't be banging out kids they can't afford. It's a form of child abuse, in my opinion. And 'but we've dole scroungers in Ireland' isn't a valid reason to import more.

What are the benefits to Ireland of importing, or letting drains on the economy stay here?? Ghettoisation? Crime?? Can't have lawyers or NGO workers going hungry, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Some man for the short memory -

The benefits to Ireland’s economy are obvious - cheaper labour for Irish employers, and the administration of welfare and the legal system does indeed provide plenty of employment opportunities for Irish people who are employed in the public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

So people were concerned enough about Muslims driving during Ramadan ( especially school and other public transport vehs) that that they organized a petition which had enough signatures to be presented to parliament, who rejected it. And this is the same parliament who approved the rules and regulations surrounding HGV driving. Speed limited vehs, set driving and rest times, mandatory use of tachographs, and fitness of drivers. No alcohol or any other drugs ( or indeed anything which might impair their driving) Its pretty strict, and with severe penalties' for drivers caught breaking the law.

Now compare the UK/ EU driving laws with the below:-

Take your practicing Muslim. He will be up at 05:00 hrs' for the first prayers, then depending where in the world he is, he will have his breakfast before sunrise, then off to work. Until Sunset, nothing will pass his lips. Nothing, no food no water, and in Muslim Country's temperatures can and do often rise above 40c. So again depending on which month of the year Ramadan falls on, and the geographic location, can be 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 hrs of daylight. Serious dehydration occurs, on top of hunger. Then at sunset, eating and drinking ( Iftar) to your hearts content long into the night. Then sleeping until 05:00 hrs next morning and the routine begins again.....for a whole month. So its no surprise when you find your colleagues hit the fatigue wall around 15:00 hrs. Sleepy, tired, irritable.. Does that fit with UK / EU driving laws? would you say?

As for your "Bottom of the barrel stuff."... well OEJ, what I have written is my own personal experience of Islam and living and working with Muslims.. 24 years, in fact. Now if you personally really want to experience Islam,, instead of following it on TV and the newspapers, go and live in an Islamic Country for a year or two, see the real Islam first hand on the ground and then we will discuss.

Jesus wept, pausing visa's until such a time that background checks could be set up to ensure no terrorists were easily able to enter the country, and foreign dole scroungers keeping dole officers in work are your examples.

Are you a parody account??

Ah jmreire, a poster who has lived in moderate Muslim countries and strict islamic countries. But seems to think only the strict ones count🙄

• Advertisement

All Islamic nations tend to be quite strict in comparison to western nations, and while a country might have more moderate laws, society's own acceptable behavioral norms (and the consequences of breaking them) can be very different depending on where you are, and what kind of economic/educational background you have.

I realise that you've lived somewhere in the Balkans which is Islamic.. I don't think you ever actually revealed where that was..

Which moderate Islamic nations would you be putting forward as being so enlightened, freedom loving, or whatever? Which ones would you consider to be in line with western values/beliefs?

What was that you said earlier about spin?

You asked for examples, you got them. Now quit being sore about it.

Definetly parody. You almost had me, the foreign dole scroungers keeping the public servants in a job. Too far mate, too far. 🤣🤣🤣

Yes jm, it IS bottom of the barrel stuff when you’re trying to suggest that Muslims are a threat to the general public in the UK and Ireland, or the EU if you want to, on the basis that they are Muslim. That’s precisely why the UK Government response to their petition was pretty much “what do you want us to do about it?” 😂

It would be no different were anyone to submit a petition that BMW drivers imagine they’re above the law (they’re wrong, that’s Mercedes drivers 😂), and expecting the UK Government to do anything about it when they already have laws which apply to everyone equally, regardless of their religion or none, is just motivated by a desire to be petty, and it shouldn’t be entertained. Driving without due care and attention, or putting other road users at risk through their own lack of consideration for other road users is not strictly limited to anyone on the basis of their religious identity. Road accidents are not caused by religion.

I don’t want to travel to countries where I know I’d be likely to keel over from culture shock before I’d even get to the arrivals area (I’m not familiar with the terminology because I don’t really have any need to be around airports, but you get the point), and I’ve turned down invitations to go to the US, China, India, Australia, Africa, Middle East… I love hearing about my friends adventures abroad and I have a huge respect for our defence forces and troops deployed to those countries, but for myself I just think “No, thank you, it’s not for me!”

If anyone wants to live in a country where people who are diabetic are banned from driving, that’s entirely their prerogative. I live in a country where incidents of insulin induced road rage really isn’t all that common, if it happens at all. It’s not a thing in Ireland, and they are not prohibited from driving any more than I am, and I’m more of a danger to myself and other road users than they are, if you wish to prohibit people from driving based upon their risk to themselves and other road users.

If the point of your argument is that Muslims should be banned from driving in European countries because they pose a threat to other road users on the basis of their behaviour, then that ban extends to everyone regardless of their religion. You’re hardly likely to argue that the ban on women driving in Saudi Arabia was because it was determined by statistics that women are a greater threat to other road users on the basis that they’re women!

I don’t want to personally experience Islam jm, any more than I want to live in a society which isn’t bloody far off it if some people here had their way. It has nothing to do with Islam, and everything to do with trying to curb peoples freedoms, motivated by pettiness more than anything. It’s no different than the rulers of the many countries where you lived (the Stans 😂), where they are so determined to avoid “importing Western liberal values”, which is the main reason why people from those countries don’t want to live under such regimes, and try to escape them if they can. I’m simply in a position where I don’t have to is all, nor do I have any inclination or desire to stop people from trying to make a better life for themselves and their families, nor would I support measures intended to try and prohibit them from doing so.

I prefer to live in a country where the idea of “Bluetooth dating” is still a foreign concept -

It was then at least, dunno what it’s like now, have they heard of Tinder jm? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

Congratulations OEJ......you have made it to my ignore list, Dozvijenja and Sretan Put.☺️

• Advertisement

I don’t need the translation to get the gist of that anyway 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Jaysus that has got to be your shortest post ever. 😀

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

If the point of your argument is that Muslims should be banned from driving in European countries

Maybe the point is that a religion that imposes onto their followers such drastic rituals cannot be considered moderate and compatible with European values. And if parents are enforcing this onto their children, or permitting them to engage willingly, and they do, they should be charged with child abuse or neglect.

No, that wasn’t the point, @jmreire made no mention of children or anything else. It was entirely about trying to lend credence to a perceived threat posed to the general public specifically by Muslims on the basis of their religion.

Your own attempt is no different. Referring to “drastic rituals” which you claim are “incompatible with modern European values”, whatever the hell that means to you personally, because we’re not likely to have the same understanding of the concept given that modern European values also protects peoples right to freedom of religion AND, at the same time, imposes restrictions and limitations on those freedoms.

Laws already exist to protect children, if that was the point being made. There isn’t any necessity to introduce new laws which would have a disproportionate impact on any group in society, let alone specifically targeting Muslims under the pretence that you care for the welfare of their children. That just looks to me like you’re arguing for weaponising parents own children against them.

Perhaps the French way of doing things is what you’re referring to when you refer to “European values”, maybe the Swedish way of doing things? It’s certainly not the Irish way of doing things, much to the chagrin of a vanishingly small minority of people in Irish society who claim their personal values are more representative of Irish people than they actually are in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

Well there we have it folks we eventually have someone giving us a tangible benefit of multiculturalism - it provides plenty of jobs in the dole office! Epic stuff Jack!

Ohh it wasn’t particularly epic, it was actually bloody obvious really, particularly when you consider that most people working in the public sector are Irish. The benefit to the Irish economy of their continued employment seems rather obvious.

Nobody is saying all Muslims are bad, and Muslims in Ireland is a bad thing.

The argument is that if we have mass migration of people, from countries who treat LGBT people and women as second-class citizens, we shouldn't be surprised when crime statistics from that minority is significantly overrepresented compared to the general population.

And by definition, limiting mass migration reduces the risk. It doesn't eliminate the risk, but we needn't add to the problem if we can prevent it.

It's a question of risk and values.

Would you rather import 1.5 million Danes or 1.5 million Somalians?

I'm not being facetious, either. It's a serious question.

The point I'm making is that some countries' values do not align with our own, therefore it makes sense to limit the risk of mass migration from countries whose citizens overwhelmingly oppose the kind of values that we've fought for decades to enshrine into law (again, women and LGBT rights - which is greater than 55% of the population's rights, so it's not a small issue).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭Odhinn

So Poles and Hungarians are on the **** list too?

By definition eskimo, Ireland doesn’t regard immigrants as citizens, let alone second class citizens.

Nobody is saying ANY Muslims are bad as far as I was aware anyways, but there are plenty of posters who are critical of Islam and cherry picking the most abhorrent examples to support their point as though immigrants who hold those views are a threat to Irish society.

Their argument overlooks the simple fact that there are already people employed, mostly Irish people, who protect everyone in Irish society, regardless of characteristics such as their religion or none, gender, sex, ethnicity, marital status, employment status, whether or not they own property, their sexual orientation, immigration or citizenship status, etc, and in my experience, they’re damn good at what they do. Therefore I simply don’t share your… ahem, “concerns”.

• Advertisement

you asked me a.quest.ion about a statue of Clinton? What would that prove?

And I don't see posts by klaz

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Know one countries citizens we could all do without highest criminal grouping of all who reside here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Something definitely got lost in translation there, I was joking with you, it’s why I thanked @jmayo’s post after yours and all, because I took the posts in the spirit I thought they were meant - as a joke?

Jesus Christ if I’d imagined you were that sensitive I’d have said nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Then with the loony left manning the barricades on behalf of those same profiteers, anyone would smell a rat.

When left wing people reckon immigration is a good thing because it provides cheap labour... well, maybe all they have left is trans issues I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

This is why Labour got their ass handed to them in all those Northern seats in 2019. And Johnson is taking a thumping in Brexit seats like Shropshire because he has not been anywhere near Conservative enough since, with the situation in the Channel, and the cost of living a complete joke.

Learn the lessons from England.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,101 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

As I had 2 non religious parents I call BS on that.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The Tullamore murder thread was closed. Continue discussing it here and this one will be closed as well

• Advertisement

At a minimum even eu citizens who want to move country should be required to present a police clearance.

Deportation if they commit a crime.

As a small island with open borders to hundreds of millions of people it would be sensible to limit the numbers who can move here. Even if only until the housing crisis is fixed.

Yea it goes against EU rules. Let them fine us.

Advertisement