Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring lamb prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Aravo

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Young95

Any quotes for tomorrow? Lambs going to Mart in morning so wondering what’s the going rate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭leoch

46 ram lambs Going Tuesday 7.50 to 23kgs including Qa.....not sure we're lorry man takes them possible kepak

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

If sending lambs on Thursday to factory and a few are badly lame with scalds/foot rot would it be ok to put a spray of Alymycin on them today?

Indoors on good straw bed and want them to keep thriving for the week.

Would not treat them if I thought topical spray would get into their system iykwim.

• Advertisement

All Dorset x lambs ewes and weathers . One lot is 40 kilos another 45 and another 48. All have flesh besides a few in the 40 kilo group.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

€140, €155..€170 in that order if as described and weigh that on the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

Any factory quotes for monday

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭eire23

Have 20 suffolk x cheviot ewe lambs here. Was going to keep them and run them on as hoggets but with the way prices are going I might be as well move them on now.

They were dosed for fluke and the withdrawal isn't up till first week of January. Lambs are between 55 and 65kgs. Would ya get on well in the Mart or wait till the withdrawal is up and factory them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭kk.man

I have something similar here..my withdrawal date is 6th January but it's for the shower dip. I'm waiting till it's up.

If you bring them to the mart you will have to announce it. Agents might see this as a way to knock the price. If you fail to announce then your qa could be in jeopardy.

Mart would be a better place agents, butcher and wholesaler competing.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭eire23

I wouldn't have a clue how they would go in the Mart tbh, that's what I was wondering. Its two years since I set foot in a mart, all mine go to the factory.

Lambs this week would make 170 in the factory if they made the weight. You think there would be more to be got in the Mart?

I think butchers etc in marts creates competition for the heavy lambs. I see beef and lamb prices have taking a hit in the UK now that Christmas demand is over but like yourself I had to consider the withdrawal dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

I bought ewe lambs at the end of October and vaccinated on the day of arrival. Do I need to give them a second shot? I’ll be mealing them shortly to sell in 2 months. They’re over 35kgs. I’m not an antivaxer but trying to make life handy. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I doubt if anyone will guarantee you that you'll get enough protection with one vaccination.

When we used to have 8 - 900 lambs we used to wait until we lost 2 or 3 lambs that were confirmed clostridial. We'd then give them all one vaccine then as they'd only have a few mths to go and it'd be enough. Some years we wouldn't even need to do them once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I vaccinated mine in Sept/Oct when I got them - but that’s as I was expecting to keep some for breeding hoggets.

If I were you now, I’d chance it. As wrangler says, if you run into issues you could always vaccinate em later - but I think it’s worth the risk to be honest…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

When are factories finishing up & starting again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

Anyone got a price for this week . Often found it a good week to sell as numbers are light but they seem to have dropped the price last week so they might be as anxious for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

7:30 in Kildare and 7:20 in ICM to 23kgs for today .Thats QA included .

Obviously went with the higher quote .Shifted last of the ram lambs here along with a few ewe lambs .Ewe lambs should kill in or around full pay weight .Rams vary from mostly decent to about half a dozen that I would be happy to see anything in excess of 17kgs on the returns .On meal a good while so bit pointless hanging to the few small ones .

Trade seems to have stalled somewhat recently .Last few lots were 7:40 ,7:45 ,7:50 and 7:30 .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Are the factories taking lambs ìn the last day or two ? Quotes seem scarce on the ground

Post edited by Green farmer on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Getting it hard to get enough staff that are covid free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Any prices lads?

€7.30 to 23kg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Got 131 for 41kg wether lambs earlier at the Mart. Happy enough as they were the last of my lambs and just the runts really and just wanted rid of them...

hood price. It takes a good bit of meal to finish on s this time of year. Have 25 left and in two minds rather to finish them , let them off as stores or just keep them ticking over u til April. I always find it useful to have a few to. Graze off the wild bird cover. It away from farm yard so does t really suit ewes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Heard prices are back to 7.10?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭downtown3858

Where that for

I’m not surprised. I left 24 off last week abs was lucky to get a pen the night before. Lairage was well busy. Still the market is sound and numbers won’t be that plentiful in a month or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

I see a good few light stores (30 kg and less) still in the marts in Kenmare and Cork. They’re still making good money. If you bought them now, when would they or should they be fit for sale? Thanks

Advertisement