Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It wasn’t me if that’s what you think. He was older.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

The counter argument, frequently made by Welsh fans, is that the IRFU disproportionately benefit from the URC arrangement, with particular respect to TV rights. Not saying i agree with it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,651 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Leinster produce their own players

Its munster who are trying to buy success, and failing miserably at it at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭ersatz

The academy system probably precludes a draft but Buttress raises it as a possible improvement for the Welsh clubs. It would definitely balance players out across the country in Ireland after school level if it was introduced and if we want to see the provinces improve relative to each other, it's worth considering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm pretty sure there were rumours about a potential all Ireland draft of academy/sub academy players from a few years ago. It was vetoed by at least Leinster and Munster. The provinces don't want to lose their players. And I think the fans don't want their provincial identity to be eroded either.

Sure, Leinster & Munster (to a lesser extent) would lose players every year and probably would not get the same in return, but if the IRFU decided strategically that the long term health of the game on the island was enhanced by it you could see it happening. A draft also doesn't prevent players moving around later on.

Drafting people for 7000 or 8000 a year making them move elsewhere for college doesn’t seem like something that would work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ah, do we need to go down this route, Syd? I disagree entirely with what Jim is saying but, for example, 17 of the 23 players Munster named for 2moro are home produced.

That’s nothing like, say, Toulon back in the mid 2010’s, which is exactly the type of thing that comes to mind when someone mentions “buying success”.

• Advertisement

Ah, I keep hearing this but kids in Ireland are far more mobile for college than they used to be. UCG, Queens, UL, etc. Lots of good options, particularly if you want to go to college and play rugby at the same time. There are lots of lads who will bite your hand off and very few who would throw in a promising rugby career because the have to live in Galway or Belfast. There are decent group of Irish playing on not great money in the USA right now.

Drafting teenagers out of school to join academy’s or even sub academy for very little money doesn’t sound like a winner. Effectively telling a teenager that he has to move to a particular city or he won’t have a shot of going pro in Ireland especially as it’s for very little money and colleges will already be offering them scholarships possibly where they want to be. If player X is drafted by ulster but wants to stay in Dublin and is offered a scholarship to play and study in trinity on a course he really wants he will look very seriously at not going pro, then if he’s tearing it up there can only Ulster sign him?

I don’t see it being sustainable as a system, when we think of drafts we think of American sports and I think the big thing there is there is only one big show for the people looking to be drafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Contempomi, Nacewa, Gibson Park, James Lowe Nathan Hynes,, Rocky Elsom... which leinster school did these guys go to??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Not really fair to the players either who should get to choose which club they play for (if they're good enough to have multiple offers)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Particularly since the Troll is a Connacht fan. So having a go at Munster won’t impact on him.

Someone moving for college would not work out? Dont most people move for college lol

That is one way looking at it, but it's quite 'provincial', and not in a good way. Another way of looking at it is that young lads are being offered professional coaching and a professional pathway with a stipend for moving a few hours down the road to go to college, for free. Some won't take it but I would be extremely surprised if Ireland ended up losing a significant amount of talent because that was the route. Already lots of players 'move' to get the chance to play, like anyone who doesn't grow up in Belfast, Limerick, Dublin or Galway. I think this way of framing is Dublin/Leinster centric but doesn't have the wider (IRFU) view in mind.

Its a lot like Dublin GAA and the financial doping. Leinster are being bank rolled by the IRFU and its unfair. A salary cap would level the playing field, South African teams have a salary cap of 3.5 million Leinster are anywhere in-between 12-15 million. Even English clubs will be 5 million plus add ons. Leinster will be 2 or 3 times the salary cap of Saracens. Leinster will have more funds available then the 2 richest clubs in England combined

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

How are we buying the league?

Here's Leinster's strongest XV

1. Porter (Leinster Academy)
    2. Kelleher (Leinster Academy)
    3. Furlong (Leinster Academy)
    4. Molony (Leinster Academy
    5. Ryan (Leinster Academy)
    6. Doris (Leinster Academy)
    7. van der Flier (Leinster Academy)
    8. Conan (Leinster Academy)
    9. Gibson-Park
    10. Sexton (Leinster Academy
    11. Lowe
    12. Henshaw
    13. Ringrose (Leinster Academy)
    14. Larmour (Leinster Academy)
    15. Keenan (Leinster Academy)

I count 12 from 15, produced by Leinster.

I chuckled when you talked about money made from the Irish team. You mean the Irish team who LEINSTER supplied with 12 of the starting 15 that beat NZ, that Irish team? 11 of the starting 15 that beat NZ, came through the LEINSTER academy (3 from NZ, 1 from Ulster, 0 from Connacht, 0 from Munster). Whatever money the Irish team makes, is mostly made by Leinster.

If a different province produced as many test players as Leinster do, they'd all be on big money too.

But hey don't let facts get in the way of whatever you need to tell yourself to make you feel better.

Post edited by TRC10 on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The argument is that Leinster, even though they've developed these players, are still paying vast sums of money to them in wages. Therefore a salary cap should be imposed in order to stop them from having such an advantage. It's essentially penalising the province for being better at player development than others.

• Advertisement

Leinster has, what, 50% of the Irish population? Leinster by virtue of it's catchment is bequeath a large portion of Irish players. The province has done a good job in developing players and establishing systems, etc. but its greatest advantage literally fell off the Christmas tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Or its more that they are so lucky to have enough schools with huge resources to have players enter their academy set up at very high level making the step up to pro rugby easier.

To quote michaels director of rugby "The way it is laid out at St Michael's is not that different to a professional set-up so when they make the step up, it is not that big in their head. They are used to the early mornings, the reviews, the medicals. Some other lads who aren't used to that might find it difficult and fall away or might not be aware of what that step actually is."

Other provinces dont have near enough teams, clubs or schools, with resources to do that.

A valid point, put it doesn't back up the claim that Leinster have "money bags" or are the richest club in Europe or that they "buy the league".

Leinster might be be big, but outside of South Dublin and a few spots elsewhere, rugby isn't really a big thing. In fact, there's a lot of animosity towards rugby.

France and England have much bigger populations than NZ. Who's won more world cups?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Are we really bring this population bull crap into the discussion again.

To save us time ive got an idea, lets just give every trophy in every competition every year to the team with the biggest population of players to choose from and not bother with the competition. Would save us a-lot of time and energy considering everything is a geography contest nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Animosity is bit much. Competitions like towns cup, increase in youths rugby participation and number of pro players show there isnt a lot of animosity.

I can't speak for Michaels, but having graduated from another South Dublin private school in the last 10 years where I played senior rugby, the notion that it's this whole ultra professional set up, with medicals, early morning reviews and video sessions, really isn't true. It might be so in Michaels, but not really in other schools.

It might be changing a bit. I played youth rugby for a club in West Dublin and it was very much a community club of players from local schools. I was the only person on my team who went to a fee paying school (and I got rinsed for it).

But there is absolutely still the notion that Rugby is a private school-boys sport and is very exclusive of working class. I heard someone say recently "rugby isn't inclusive because there's nobody from the inner city on the Ireland team" . Which isn't true at all, there just isn't a strong rugby culture in those communities. It's nothing to do with socioeconomic background. I'd bet whoever said that had never even stepped foot inside a rugby club, because in my experience, rugby is incredibly inclusive.

But it's very difficult to just overcome decades worth of tradition of other sports like Soccer and GAA in other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

True, but where's the gametime going to come from when they are fit and there are games being played? As it is guys like Deegan and Osborne are good enough to be seeing more minutes than they've been getting.

Toner finishing up would open up a bit of gametime in the second row - if they don't sign anyone.

guys like Deegan and Osborne are good enough to be seeing more minutes than they've been getting.

You realise we haven't played in over a month

Osborne only just turned 20. He played against the Bulls, Zebre and Glasgow this season and was due to start v Montpellier before it was cancelled.

Deegan has played 6 games this season (all but 2 games) and was out injured for all of last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

It doesn't look quite so rosy when you talk about starts, though. They both have one start. It is what it is. There's limited gametime to go around.

And what does 20 have to do with it really? Should they just hold him back for a year or two despite the fact he's clearly ready?

Advertisement