Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,810 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Upgraded my internet today after new wiring became available. Gone from 50mbs to 500mbs. Throwing every game i can into my PS5 drive, the speeds are just beautiful.

Saying that, I'm completely bouncing between about 10 games at the moment, can't settle on one. Just trying to bide my time until Dying Light 2. I'm not sure if it's games like Outer Wilds and The Forgotten City making other games just seem way too basic or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Yeah I remember when we first got proper internet speeds the amount of games I downloaded😁. I try and keep to one or two games at a time as I find if bouncing through multiple games you sometimes forget the controls. Have you done new playthrough of Dying Light if you plan to get Dying Light 2? Since there are so many games out in February I decided I'm just going to go with Horizon and just get Dying Light 2 at later date. Actually going to start new playthrough of Horizon Zero Dawn in preparation for Forbidden West

I'm the opposite, getting Dying Light on release and keeping Horizon for a letter date. I want to get Sifu and have to get Elden Ring so a busy Feb.

I'm the same with games, have to concentrate on 1 or 2 or i just bounce between them like I've been doing. I'm actively stopping myself from buying 3 more games on sale, all going cheap but i know they'll be wasted.

I have the arse played off Dying Light 1 and i would gladly go back for more but definitely want to go into DL 2 fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

500M that's nothing. It takes me days to download a game on my whopping 1.5Mb connection.

I'm Halo'd out. I have Infinite still to play but I have been going through the Master Chief Collection but played so much of Halo so far since Christmas that I will have to give myself a break. I am on Halo 3 ODST atm. While playing in order from the first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

On ( up to ) 100mb here with the option to upgrade to 500 or 1000 mbs now.

The 500mb option is 10 quid cheaper than what we're currently paying.

Only by chance I checked the other day, Vodafone never said hey you can get 5 times the speed for less money to us.

Funny thing is, the only case for this really is for downloading these huge games.

Or if me, the wife, the kids and the cat all start watching separate Netflix at the same time.

Must be great. I live in the sticks so no fibre despite driving one minute down the road in one direction and they have FTTH and then one minute drive up the opposite direction and they have it also. Both are on different connections coming from a town in one direction and a village in another and me stuck here in the middle in no mans land.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Now that I think about it, Twilight Princess on the Wii had that kind of piss filter too. Hmmm, no wonder I couldn't finish it.

• Advertisement

Too dear. Ah I have been using this connection for years so used to it now. I'm also planning on moving soon so there is that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Thanks to this thread, it looks like tomorrow I will be upgrading from what appears to be a no longer available 150Mbps plan to a 500Mbps plan for only €5 a month more, but I'll get it for €20 less for 6 months first.... Yeah, they really don't ring you about this stuff. I got a text before Christmas from VF and a few missed calls, something about signing up to the same deal again to renew the contract (€35/6 months, €55 after) and I did apply, but I did it about 2 hours too late. Thankfully I missed that, as I'm going to get a better deal now tomorrow. Yurt!

Horrible site to try and get details from though... Seems the only options with VF FTTH is now 500Mb and 1Gb.

Microsoft delivering a great service that has no equal.

I expect Sony to come out fighting. It'll be like Disney+ vs Netflix vs Amazon Prime soon ...

I hope Sony do too. I get more value for money from a subscription model, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

They're gonna run out of money to throw at stuff at some point... then again, I don't know many people who like Hitman but never bought them.

Also, if no one can rival it, then that could also mean that no one else has the money to throw at it like they do, or they know its not long term viable without a massive risk, which they can't take as they don't have MS backing.

Still, it is currently amazing value, especially if you do the Gold trick.

Microsoft are short of cash I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

When Microsoft bought Bethesda for 7B they had four times that amount in cash reserves. That's increased again since then.

Microsoft print money, they'll never run out.

They clearly see the bigger picture here. They don't care about Playstation or the Switch, that's old world. They want to dominate Games as a Service. This encompasses all personal electronic devices, consoles, phones, tablet, PC, cloud, etc. It's a play for something much bigger. It's a long term plan that goes way beyond the current generation of consoles.

How people can't see this is bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I think a lot, but not all, of their long term is to get cloud gaming/gamepass into India/China in particular. If you dominate the predominantly mobile market there you have potentially more gaming customers than the Amercias and Europe combined. It's probably a bit of a stretch but I'd say that is what they are aiming for.

• Administrators Posts: 53,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Microsoft's earnings for the last reported quarter (FY22 Q1) was about 20 billion in profit. To put this in context, Sony's profits for the same quarter was about 2 billion and this was a record high for them.

It's fair to say they've plenty of money to spend on Game Pass and Sony won't be able to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

If you want to know where gaming will be in 5 years look at what MS are doing today.

Whether that's putting ethernet cables in consoles when no one had broadband, getting people to pay for online services when everyone else was doing it for free, or making consoles digital focussed (remember all the **** they took over the Xbox one at launch, now 80+% of games are digital). They have been ahead of the curve.

So where will we be in 5 years?

It's not VR, it's not boxed games in stores, it's not walled gardens. It's your subscription, streaming to any device, at anytime you want with minimal fuss. Cross platform, cross progression and NFTs up the wazoo. 😂

Sony will not be the same. Sony are a hardware and movie studio. They make profits on consoles and AAA Hollywood style blockbusters.

Whatever subscription they come out with it will be designed to

A) make you buy a PlayStation (and notice they are now making more PS4's, presumably as a low cost entry point. Pretty much an admition they made a mistake not coming out with a lower entry PS5 like the Series S).

And B) Make you buy their games (How remains to be seen, maybe through some very time limited tasters on the sub plus a measly discount for buying the game after the sub trial has ended).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

They are trialing adding movies and TV shows to plus in Poland at the moment. So I'd certainly expect a broader "entertainment" aspect beyond just gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Wasn't there speculation they'd add Crunchyroll as part of one of the tiers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

So I wonder are the tiers going to be:

• Plus

• Plus and Now

• Plus, Now and Film/TV Streaming Package?

Wait til ye see, they'll add Spiderman No Way Home as the first film for the top tier, the shnakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I think I seen something last year that said they signed a deal with Disney to bring all the Spider-Man films to D+ in 2022

Advertisement