Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Yeah not that regular an occurrence. Came off the bench v zebre earlier in the year..

Personally I wonder at this stage of his stellar career do you get more games from him over a season coming off the bench to finish out the game for 25 minutes.. rather than tying to put him through 60/80 minutes week in week out. It also provides much needed starts for the alternative options for Leinster and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Very good team. Big chance for Ross Byrne to play behind (almost) the first choice pack in a big game.

Wonder what is wrong with Henshaw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Where is Harry?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,651 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

you havent said anything which contradicts my post?

Plenty of big names missing from the Montpellier team. Should be a handy home win.

15. Axel Bevia, 14. Pierre Lucas, 13. Thomas Darmon, 12. Karl Martin, 11. Josua Vici, 10. Louis Foursans, 9. Gela Aprasidze, 1. Mikheil Nariashvili, 2. Guilhem Guirado (c), 3. Henry Thomas, 4. Tyler Duguid, 5. Mickael Capelli, 6. Masivesi Dakuwaqa, 7. Florian Verhaeghe, 8. Marco Tauleigne.

Replacements:

16. Vincent Giudicelli, 17. Robert Rodgers, 18. Titi Lamositele, 19. Alexandre Becognee, 20. Aubin Eymeri, 21. Paul Vallée, 22. Nico Janse van Rensburg, 23. Zach Mercer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Ah Ross Byrne playing behind a huge pack. If he doesn’t look like a world beater than somethings wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Surprised noone's mentioned it but Karl Martin is at 12 for Montpellier!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

So the assumption is all the 20+ cases came before the 1 positive result? I just didn't see the "only 1 positive result" reported. I'm genuinely try to get the specifics rather than looking for an argument here, syd.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

You have to understand that it is important to cherry pick elements of fact to support a pre-ordained position, not look at all the facts objectively to come to a rational opinion.

That said, Covid was rampant in Montpellier last week (50% of the team out) and by their own admission the spread was accelerating. I’m really not sure how that can resolve itself to allow them to play this week. Obviously it isn’t impossible, but it is surely very unlikely that they are in any better shape this week than we were a few weeks back.

EDIT: For what it’s worth I want the game to go ahead. Leinster and Ireland need guys getting game time.

yes leinster had a shed load of positive cases the week leading up to the game... BUT... 2 days before the game they returned only 1 more positive case and that was seen as the straw that broke the camels back.

my point is, here we have 6 positive cases in the playing group 2 days before the kick off, and theres no question of the game not going ahead. The EPCR medical committee arent fortune tellers, there is no way they can know if castre will return further positives in the coming days.

so in all these decisions (of which we have quite a few at this stage) so far, the leinster decision appears to be quite an outlier

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

But saying "Leinster had 1 positive case 2 days before the game, while Castres had 6 positive cases 2 days before their game, so the Castres situation is more significant" is a million miles from the full context if Leinster had 20+ cases in the preceding days and Castres had 0.

You've fixating on the specific stat around "2 days before kick-off" without including any of the wider context and details. (And as I said, my question came because I didn't see the 1 case 2 days before reported anywhere).

You've thanked molloy's post above but my reading is his "cherry picking elements of facts" is directed at you, tbh.

Like I said, I'd love to see a full article with detailed specifics of what we knew for each of the Wasps, Leinster and now Castres situations.

Im doing as much cherry picking of facts as EPRC seem to be doing in their decision making. If you go back through the thread you'll see I completely understood the reason for the forfeit, I didn't question it at the time.

However, the decision making, or lack of decision making, from EPCR is completely erratic and arbitrary. That's what I have an issue with.

I'd love to know what guarantees castres were able to give EPCR that they're won't be a further out break within their squad which meant there was no issue with the game going ahead....

I'm going to suggest they're was no guarantees, because that's sootsaying

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I wonder if he goes well, will people be using him as another example of Leinster letting talent go.

Is this his Monty debut?

he was one of the most talented players through the club system since furlong and leinster didnt offer him an academy contract, so it would be an example of it yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Glad to see Frawley get a start in a big game. Hope nothing is up with Henshaw though. He's had a bad time of it with injury since the Lions tour. Also hope nothing is up with H Byrne. He really needs to get starts in these bigger games for a host of reasons.

More talented than Jimmy or Tommy O’Brien?

More talented than Frawley too?

Jimmy and Tommy didn't come through the club system. But yeah he is as talented if not more than both of them.

Frawley did and yes he is as talented if not more than frawley while also having more natural size for centre.

Frawley didnt get an academy offer until after he played his 20's season, Martin had multiple contract offers from France at 18.

Martin probably missed out due to covid and a lack of game time last season, leinster became reluctant to offer players academy contracts until they played irish 20s during the summer, such a shame to see someone from a non-traditional route be lost from the system.

Sexton benching is odd

• Advertisement

We can only offer so many contracts. Who would you have let go?

Liam Turner, decent player but doesnt have the size to be a top level pro unlike Martin.

Hasn't played since the All Blacks game and hasn't been training for most of that time either. Would expect to see him back at 10 next week.

I would say possibly Hawkshaw too but I guess they’ve already invested time in them. As you say he had little or no rugby in a critical period of his development.

Time will tell I guess. Size isn’t everything. COB and Tom Daly both have that but couldn’t stay fit for 2 weeks in a row through the academy. Size may have made him stand out underage but won’t always translate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Yeah that's exactly the problem.

Everyone knew that no matter how well the young lads went v Ulster, it would be back to the tried, tested and failed this week.

Scannell, Archer, Kleyn and JOD aren't currently internationals anyway. It's been at least 2 years since any of them were even in a squad.

i was just looking at academy contracted players, size isnt everything, but Martin was much more than someone who relied on his size at underage level, in fact his skill set him apart and developing his use of his size was his biggest work on when as he got older, grew bigger.

Should be interesting to see how he goes on sunday.

We would still pick the more experienced players for a European game. You are looking for a stick to beat Munster with but don’t want to use the same stick with Leinster.

We give young players experience in the league but nearly always go full strength in Europe. Especially away from home, Apart from a Covid crisis, we would never have named so many kids to travel to France as we did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Your experienced players aren't good enough FFS and the young players have been playing better. There's a reason Leinster make up make up over 2/3 of the Ireland team and Munster do well to have 1 player in the starting XV.

Barron and Buckley have been better than Scannell. What does JVG honestly think will happen if he playe Knox over Archer, like what is the worst that will happen? What does Archer offer that Munster would be so brutally exposed without? Murray has been poor for months, Casey was excellent v Ulster. Why are Munster playing a 6/8 out of position ahead of the best young 7 they've produced in years?

Ah look I'm done. Munster can keep plodding along with Scannell, Archer, John Ryan, Kleyn and Murray if they want. They won't win anything but if the fans are happy with where they're going, who am I to say they shouldn't be. I'll leave you to it so.

Advertisement