Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ganoga

well I certainly won't be forgetting what actions he and his merry band have advised government to do. I won't be forgetting the decisions taken by government. Equally, I won't be forgetting absence of opposition or those that let things descend into the mess we have now. I hope others take these things into account next election too

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

That will leave masks & covid certs as the only "restriction" for Freedumb whingebags to focus on

Slim pickings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Masks should become advisory only and certs will probably go once they open up fully

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Im worried, very worried.

Im going to have to come up with new excuses to not do stuff now. End of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Cork2021

More good news Gerry is off back to Africa!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Still insane that the Taoiseach's decisions are totally dependent on NPHET advice. It should be the case that government make decisions weighing the economic, social and other impacts against the health advice from NPHET.

How it really is, is that NPHET make a decision on restrictions and the government takes it more or less verbatim. The government could disappear and it wouldn't make the slightest difference. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,803 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The antisocial variant, I'm susceptible to that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Should be ended tomorrow and that is still late. But sher dithering is a national pastime. Whats another few 10s of millions needlessly added to the debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Lots of positive kites flying over the last couple of days, hardly a mention of COVID on the front pages of the major news sites, increasing signs from hospitals that this isn't a serious disease for the vast majority anymore (as long as they're vaccinated anyway).

Waiting a couple of weeks just in case is sensible given the large number of cases we're seeing on a daily basis, and I'm sure there are some things that have changed permanently or will take a while to return to how they were before, but unless something significantly changes by the end of the month this is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

Yep it's over. The anti everthing crowd will need a new thing to get upset about. It will be very difficult for them when SF come into power. What exactly will they spend their days rage posting about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

They can still refuse to go to events. Instead of covid, they'll have to come to terms with the fact that they might just be miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

So the deaths are going up in South Africa, the UK, the US, Denmark, and Ireland - who were the other early adopters of Omicron and how are they faring?

Sure, a person who has Delta is more likely to die than a person who has Omicron, as everyone is keen to point out, but is a person who has not yet caught covid actually less likely to die in an Omicron environment than a Delta one?

(I can't remember when Delta raised its head, and I do think we're in a much better spot with Omicron, but people are writing it off awfully quickly..)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭timmyntc

A person who has not caught covid and is unvaccinated is less likely to die from omicron. It is a milder strain in the literal sense. It has been confirmed in numerous lab studies, and population studies in South Africa.

The reality is, even with record high cases, our hospitals coped fine - infact right now its our self-imposed isolation rules that are impacted the health service most of all (15k+ staff out isolating). If we could survive this "wave" of omicron fine, then theres no reason to think it would get worse in future.

For immunonaive people (i.e. unvaxxed and no prior infection) Omicron is less deadly than Delta but still more deadly than the ancestral variant.

That said its largely becoming a moot point anyway. There are probably very few immunonaive left in the country at this stage. Be hardly any by spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It's over when the last Covid test is carried out in Ireland.

On the other hand, signs are that the purse strings are tightening, loads of road upgrades in the south postponed due to lack of funding, odd, for a country that has spent billions and billions of euros over the past 2 years without any consideration.

So as many have previously said, the country running out of money is the way out of this for Ireland, not relying on leadership from government, or NPHET believing in the vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Wife has had a number of shifts over the past 2 weeks as has covered for colleagues out in her Dublin hospital. Was only talking to her this morning and she was saying she hasn't treated a patient for covid in 10 days. Still having to manage with covid protocols and all the time and resources that goes with it. But none of the care or treatment she has been administering for almost 2 years now.

She said loads of people turning up that shouldn't be remotely near a hospital because they're simply not sick. And are not being admitted. Think there is an element of people panicking with a positive antigen or something. And also people are coming in at night and gone by morning. Admitted for observation and quickly discharged.

All positive signs. The covid topic rarely comes up between us now. I don't think there should be any need to wait until end of January. Remove restrictions from this weekend or Monday. No need to give places notice. If a restaurant or pub wants to open with normal trading hours, let them. Those that need time to prepare, then that's their own doing. Open in their own time. Absolutely no need in keeping these restrictions. Doubt they are keeping cases lower by much anyways. People are just mixing more earlier. I couldn't get into loads of pubs last weekend in the early afternoon as no seats left.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

She wants talented women to 'accede to boards'.

She has a higher opinion of boards than most boardsies.

Its Dr Holohan, Dr Glynn and Donnelly who keep promoting the fact that antigen tests are open to manipulation, something I wouldn't have even known if it hadn't been promoted by NPHET and the Government.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Discussed in detail on the Roads forum too and I have referenced it many times over the last few months and the consequences it’ll have.

Some of these roads have seen many serious and fatal accidents in recent years and there’s a certain sadness that projects like these which deliver real benefits are being shelved so we can top up cinema workers salaries to go home at 8pm and gaze at the walls for no scientific reason whatsoever

• Advertisement

Cop on

You wanted people trapped in a room for their safety but then you give out about them being on the internet. If you want people to get on with their lives how about let them get on with their lives.

False

It could easily be cancelled and the only way to truly know its going ahead is to wait until March 17th. If they cancel it they'll just say it was "unforeseen" obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Haha

Seen those jibes before.

Think it was near the end of Novemeber that Tony gave his assurances that NPHET didn't recommend any restrictions only to recommend restrictions a few days later.

An egg on face moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

The bureaucratic approach to it is annoying though — is there any major discernible difference in the proportionality of leaving the lifting of some of these measures to February and just doing it now?

I mean, even from the basic understanding of the nature of society, lots of people are on dry January, have a bit less cash floating around after Christmas, or generally just have no major plans for social events in the aftermath of December festivities. Extending hospitality times now in that context seems a smarter thing to do than leaving it to February, at which point you have made it a national event and everyone is out with a refreshed bank account and a thirst for a few drinks.

They can introduce the restrictions in effectively a heartbeat, yet there always this lumbering approach to reversing — which really just smacks of optics (i.e. “we are reopening but being super careful everyone”).

The irony is you and your ilk want restrictions more than anyone, just for something to shout about. Even now everyone seems happy this is coming to an end except you.

If it must be delayed unnecessarily til January and 'phased' (ooh Science!), then surely the common sense approach would be not to extend any of the statutory instruments that are due to lapse on the 29th? They cover all of hospitality, cinemas, events, weddings etc.

Edit: to delay or phase these sectors reopening would need more legislation - why bother just to phase things for 2/3 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Devil is in the details. No major indicator yet of any increase in deaths in Ireland due to Omicron.

Most recent HPSC report on deaths has December deaths 25% lower than November at around 6/day. January so far coming in below that again at 3/day. Bearing in mind though that death reports can take a long time to come in so we won't know the real numbers for 2-4 months. Last week we still had some Covid deaths from January 2021 first reported to the HPSC.

Other countries count deaths differently. The UK counts all deaths within 28 days of a positive covid test. That was OK when they were pulling in a few thousand cases/day. But when 5% of your population has had a positive test in the last 28 days, you can see how counting deaths this way becomes very problematic.

Denmark count all deaths within 30 days of a positive result.

Don't know about the rest. But on the face of it, you can see that DK & UK now have a flawed counting system because it was never considered to deal with this level of infection. Our is probably pretty accurate if unfortunately too slow.

'you and my ilk', 'something to shout about'

Experience has taught me there's no way of knowing that restrictions in Ireland are coming to an end. We have a plan to make a plan in February. The bar for restrictions is set so low that almost anything can serve as a justification for more shutdowns.

Varadkar's claim that restrictions could last until mid-decade make no sense in the context of the pandemic being almost over. When you look at the small print, it is seamus and is_that_so who say the pandemic is ending and it is Martin and Varadkar who talk about years of restrictions. Don't blame me for noticing reality.

As for me personally I'm taking short trips to Northern Ireland and GB at the weekends because guess what my favourite past-time isn't complaining on the internet its going out and living life. Something I can do thankfully because air-fare is so inexpensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

To be honest, the pandemic ended months ago for most people. It seems to be lost on some here that the remaining restrictions are not exactly that imposing on society generally - the vast majority seem to be able to go about their daily business normally.

Advertisement