Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

It's simpler FOR YOU. I'm in work, miles from home. If I wanted, I could have a key of hash, few grammes of coke or some pills here within half an hour. Wouldn't have to leave the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

You can order drugs from an app without ever leaving your house.... its far easier to get drugs.

The rest of your post is just hilariously childish in its naivety

• Registered Users Posts: 15,197 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'd argue that it's simpler for the vast majority of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

But maybe not the people MUP is 'meant' to target...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Do you really believe it is easier for the vast amount of people in this country to get drugs than it is to get alcohol ?

Do you ?

Think about what you are saying for a minute, just think about it

It's easier for someone to get drugs than it is alcohol.

I take two people at random off a street and say "right one of you has to get a line of coke the other has to get a bottle of wine, off you go and who ever comes back first with the item is the winner".

Who the fcuk do you think will win ?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I've been pretty much off the beer since after New Years. Though I'd like a few tins tonight and remembered that 15 cans of Heineken is 28 euro.

No matter what way its painted this is a penal like move by the powers that be. F**k them and AAI. Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,334 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You can order beer in the same way.

The thing is, it's only easy to get drugs if you already have a trusted connection and that takes time. You can't just find your nearest one on Google.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Anyone who thinks drugs aren't easy to get or easily accessible needs to get out more and open their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

That would depend on the day, the time, and if they had money on them.

• Advertisement

Don't think anyone is suggesting that drugs are not easily accessible.

But the suggestion that they are simpler to get than alcohol is just stupid.

And as another poster pointed out you already need a trusted connection in place so that you can just sit at home and get drugs delivered with a few taps on your phone.

To get alcohol you just walk into a pub or shop that is selling them.

I know for a fact in certain areas, whether your known or not you can get anything you want with your deliveroo or justeat. Not really sure what that means in terms of MUP. Probably not a lot.

I'd imagine that once January is done and people start drinking a bit more this will be highlighted again. It's just a poor response to a problem we are being told that we have. I'll still go out and buy my few cans tonight. No less or no more than before. The only thing this will impact is my bank account.

Just back in from Tescos. Utterly reprehensible the way we have been shafted here. Disgusting breach of any of joy we still had. I'd sure be interest in joining a consumer activist type group if one existed. This MUP just compounds the ride we are taken for as consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,883 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I said it last week, the proof is there on the shelves in every supermarket that you are right.

All the arguments about why it happened, whether it should have happened etc. etc. while interesting are just sideshows.

The truth is drink has become more expensive for ordinary people who enjoy ordinary drinks at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭dubrov

Should the goal of government be to reduce alcohol consumption?

If so, what will be the next target to be marginalised?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Allinall

Just back from the local after a nice few beers.

MUP had no bearing on my enjoyable evening.

mid I had decided to get a few cans, it still would have been cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

In the context of MUP, in which this discussion about how easy drugs are to get. It doesn't matter whether alcohol is easier to get. Drugs are very easy to get through pretty much any social media platform if you don't already have a contact through WhatsApp or in person. And that's all that matters. They don't need to be easier to buy. They just need to be easy. Because MUP is going to deter people paying the increased prices so that erodes the ease of simply walking to an off license. The urge to become inebriated will still exist. While someone on an individual level may not have a drug connection. I guarantee you a fair few in their circle of mates has one.

Drugs are much more accessible these days and are cheap. And can be got on tick. So if someone wants coke on a Saturday and they don't have they money. They can still get it and worry about the cost later. They can't do that with drink. So many young lads getting into trouble because they can't pay for the drugs when they need to. But it doesn't stop people doing it.

I think there is a serious disconnect about how things actually are on the ground and work on a day to day basis. In a fair few of my WhatsApp group chats. I've already seen ecstasy being discussed numerous times this year. I don't think it's been mentioned in a number of years prior to that. It's basically mates saying f<ck getting expensive cans. A bottle of wine or vodka and some pills.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I'm not long back from my Off Licence. My first time there since MUP kicked in. Massive price differences in my normal selection.

All cans up, some a lot more than others

€1.90 (€1.60 over December) -> €2.69

€1.80 -> €2.69

€1.65 -> €2.09

€1.60 -> €1.79

€1.75 -> €2.39

A lot more. I'll be doing some saving and heading up to Newry in a week or so. Hadn't really got on board with the cross border shopping, as I was more just against MUP itself as a nonsense law, and badly implemented etc. But at those prices...

10c per 1g is a load of bullsh*t.

MUP doesn't apply to your local so it's no surprise it didn't affect your evening.

If you had decided to have a few cans they would have been more expensive because of MUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Macardles still €1.60 a can in Dunnes. There is a god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

A bottle of wine once every three weeks or one or two cans the odd weekend is all I drink so it doesn't effect me really.

It won't work because it's a lazy measure instead of investing properly in addiction services and mental health in this post-colonial country, but what else to expect from this government.

My partner drinks cans for 50cents each and I have to pay multiples for the same, but that's the choice I make living here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I was flicking through an article in today’s Indo by Tanya Sweeney on drinking when I came across this gem and immediately gave up on reading further…

”In boom times you tended to get more drinking, psychiatrist Bobby Smyth says, back in the eightes and nineties alcohol wasn’t available in supermarkets and most drinking was done in pubs”

Anyone else remember not being able to buy alcohol back then in shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I am more interested in the sideshows, than people reporting the price of drink they saw in shops. One of the sideshows is whether MUP affects consumer spending. The Lancet commissioned a study on the results in Scotland and Wales, paying particular attention to the border areas in England.

Another sideshow is whether MUP will be introduced in the North and in England. The North is due to publish their plans soon. Pressure will come on England if the North joins in. There was a report about it on BBC Radio on 14 January, listen at 30 minutes 30.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001394z

It certainly was not as common place in the 80s and 90s in shops as it is now.

Ordinary shops would have had a very small selection of drinks if any at all.

And the supermarkets like Dunnes and Quinnsworth may have had drinks sections but they would not be an aisle long or multiple aisles as you see today.

Also the largest volume you could buy would have been a six pack, 20 packs are relatively recent.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

A big thing in the seventies and eighties was getting a few six packs in the pub after closing time. Never see that now.

Could be a useful income stream for pubs now with the big discounting being outlawed.

Are they allowed to sell take away at pub closing time?

There are definitely more shops where you can buy drink now than before due to pub licences being purchased and used in convenience stores, filling stations etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Pub must have both an ON-Licence and an OFF-Licence to do that. I suspect many pubs may have given up their OFF-Licences in recent years because nobody was buying take outs.

Plus I'm guessing they could not sell alcohol to takeaway after 10pm, regular off license closing time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dub.

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

24 can trays of beer, as we used to call them, were widely available in the 80`s. They were all me and my mates bought.

Advertisement