Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

For me I would prefer if the media just treated everyone with distrust and asked the hard questions of everyone be they in government, opposition or what ever. Sick of this pally crap that we get with everything prepared and people just quoting learned lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Quags

You just need to look at Claire Byrne for e.g. that poor girl is going to be in for a shock when Covid is not newsworthy anymore. An absolute disgrace the way her and others have carried on. Everyone who gave a different opinion to what they thought was the right thing was discarded and treated like dirt

Covid Claire, as I call her, and Pat Kenny need to removed from their positions for their carry on during this. I see Donnelly is now looking for restrictions to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

What "shock" is she in for?

She seems to get great ratings from here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Never forget the poor bastard who worked for the HSE, who was hounded out of his job simply for questioning their approach. That was governmental Ireland, essentially saying "we're tyrants, no dissent allowed", and yet there was hardly a peep from any of our supposed betters. It was genuinely scandalous stuff, but it really shows us that a scandal is never a scandal, unless the media class want it to be one.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

That is the problem with a dichotomy. Some proposed elements from both are true or become true over time but will not be accepted by the other side. If you think that way you continue to be blind. Playing devil's advocate help here. Examine your own biases a healthy thing. My main questions are usually: what makes someone make a certain statement and where is it based on? What is the latest data? Multiple sources?. Just a little digging will usually reveal something pretty quick. 'Trust me im a doctor' is still a line i imagine to hear now and then..🙂

I can almost hear Stephen Donnelly saying that line "Trust me I'm a politician, I know what I am doing". 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Its been driven home a bit by MM tweet earlier that NPHET are actually making the decisions and they are hoepful of NPHET advising they lift restrictions

Post edited by PTH2009 on

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BuildTheWall

It’s great that the people who were shouted down, vilified and made to feel small and stupid for their convictions are now starting to be vindicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think the NPHET Government will remove "All Restrictions" but actually won't. They'll advertise it as that but there will be Restrictions going on in the background. They won't give in on masks, or the vaccine passports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

He must be getting worried about his Twitter mentions again

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

If this is your mindset you're looking at the wrong enemy and part of the wrong conversation! That enemy would be a virus! Who cares who was right or wrong? It won't solve any future problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

I don't think they are being vindicated. The general consensus among media/government etc. seems to be that things have changed RIGHT NOW.

The retrospective vindication will come with the retrospective assessment of the pandemic response and the recognition of all the facets of collateral damage that will come to light over years, and it will probably come long after those who currently hold positions of power and influence have moved out of the reach of any consequence.

It's bittersweet, and the best possible outcome at this stage is a full condemnation of the West's strategy of importing a response from a genocidal authoritarian hellhole and completely abandoning every shred of scholarship in the fields of epidemiology and virology that took account of ethical and cultural considerations, so that it never happens again. Until that happens and it is recognised that abrogating rights by "emergency legislation" is an affront to Western liberal values, any "vindication" is hollow.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 24,374 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You wish. She'll just carry on and never mention covid again.

The argument is not with people who make well reasoned arguments it’s against those who arguments are based on repeated lies and misinformation, continually inventing imaginary things to get angry at. In 2020 the majority of anti restrictions posters were the former, now they are almost exclusively the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

What were incidental hospitalisations like in September 2020? Or March 2021? Or August 2021?

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

Quick question on the Recovery Certs: from what I can see, if you have symptoms of COVID-19 and are aged 4 to 39, you should use antigen tests. Do not book a PCR test.

So if I was in this age bracket and not vaccinated.. but yet recovered from Covid, I cannot get a PCR test to confirm for the cert?! Is this another coercive tactic to avoid young people getting the passes through recovery? Its vaccinate or nothing for a cert? Surely this isnt inline with EU regulations?

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Was it? Stick up a few quotes sure. Shouldn't be hard to find.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

An antigen done by e.g. a pharmacist will get you a recovery cert

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

Is that for travel purposes only and with a negative antigen, or has this changed? thank you

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Advertisement

In direct proportion to the incidence rate generally and inversely proportional to lack of protection through vaccine/ previous infection.

This really is remedial stuff lads. Ye must be on a wind up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

Are the people who were wrong capable of learning from experience is the question.

That, and not some kind of gloating, is what I'm interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Since there are those who would just love the opportunity to call me an idiot who doesn't understand numbers, I can only assume that my reasoning here is accurate and that I have read the quote correctly?

So 58% of patients were not there because of covid. And the remainder includes those not severely sick at all.

Tell me again why I can't use changing rooms in a shop? Or meet new people in a bar? Or even go into a bar at night?

You have been sold a pup lads, and I'm not talking about the pandemic payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

Even when you disagree with covid certs, exaggerations of long covid and unnecessary restrictions all your enegry as a poster is put into anti-anti-restrictions talking points.

Why is opposing anti-restrictions posters, some of whose arguments you dislike, more important than opposing restrictions which even you yourself regard as excessive?

I think many of my own arguments have been very good, I've shown restraint a lot of the time, and I don't believe the long delays have been vindicated so I don't regret scorning those delays.

For instance the long delay from June to October was meant to be vindicated by an October opening but wasn't and we're still restricted the following January with more delays being put in place.

You are one of the more thoughtful posters on any side of the debates, even I I more often than not disagree with you. I do detect an increased level of anger for angers sake recently from yourself though.

If you were desperate enough for something to do you would see in 2020 and into 2021 far more of my time was spent arguing the likes of caveat emptor and boggles among other lock everything down posters, as well as the teachers who wanted schools closed until the virus was gone. Most of those posters have disappeared though. My posting is generally motivated by the most objectionable content alongside some observations

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Its changed. You need a professionally administered positive antigen to get a recovery cert

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Seems reasonable enough now to say. But I’m around long enough to remember if you suggested that patients Covid positive in hospital may not be symptomatic, or perhaps symptomatic but receiving treatment that did not impact on length of stay or recovery from presenting problem, you were shot down by multiple posters and occasionally reported.

Had a weeks ban myself and still can’t figure out why.

Also, incidental Covid in direct proportion to the community rate is not correct. HAI was at 20 - 30% in hospital last January so hospital incidental Covid would be expected to be higher than community rate, yes probably on a scale related to community rate but most definitely not in direct proportion. Healthcare settings, particularly residential, are surely the most high-risk settings alongside in-person educational settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You can get most of the hospital admissions data here:

ICU and Hospital Admissions - CSO - Central Statistics Office

As raind said, you can cross reference the %'s with that of the population to get a rough idea of the incidental vs. non-incidental and most ICU would be non-incidental.

Omicron will have changed those %'s a lot and will cause a lot of revisionism to start occurring.

I get the feeling that what's happening with Omicron now is what would have happened post vaccine rollout if Delta hadn't emerged and we really had a pandemic of original SARS-COV2 followed by a deadlier Delta pandemic whose effects were mitigated by vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The NHS seems to have the numbers covered with incidentals going from about 15% with Delta to 33% with Omicron (this image came from the Daily Mail, I'm hoping they used the real NHS data to make it):

Interesting that London has always had a higher (25%) level of incidental cases than other parts of England, wonder is this down to their low vax rate.

Advertisement