Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

That is one area that has changed alright maybe Sinn Fein will put manners on the vultures?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

There is a few issues with that though

First by the sounds of things you did significant work on the house, majority of people don't have the knowledge to undertake such work. We are in the golden age of DIY with online tutorials for everything but that doesn't mean everybody is able to take on that kind of work. Particularly now with higher building standards. And as for getting someone else to do the work, good look with that, tradesmen at the moment are very rare and very expensive.

Secondly financing projects like that isn't always feasible, bank will lend to 90% of the value of house, unless people can save significantly more than the required deposit they will struggle to finance significant work on a house, even estimating how much it would cost would be s struggle for most.

Lastly if people have kids its often just not practical to move in to a project house, but you can't afford mortgage and rent and all the work.

I'm not writing off doer uppers, I think there is value to be found there, but need to be realistic as well its not feasible for most and there isn't that many come up, there is shortage of all kinds of properties.

Post edited by cruizer101 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭wassie

Northern Ireland is an option that never gets much of a mention. Highly commutable to Dublin also. Only need to go to any building site to see evidence of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

SF will only increase the tax on institutional investors and introduce rent freeze’s. The outcome of that will be less properties to rent. If were able to build 20k houses a year at 150k a house as per their alternative budget. Then it may free up properties for rent. But I can’t see how they can build a house for 150k. They will also be competing with FTB’s whether it is buying houses or diverting building works to social housing.

Maybe I think the only real solution is to build , but as has been pointed out all costs relating to building has shot up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

SF's plan to avoid competing with FTB's is to remove the Help to buy scheme, cant see how that will be a vote winner for them, seems like they want to force as many people into social housing as possible.

Times move on an occupations that would have been considered top jobs back then would no longer be considered top jobs.

you also need to consider that resource is more scarce as it has become more expensive and complicated to build and in demand areas have got closer to max capacity unless you increase the density.

high interest rates resulted in lower price differential between between a bog standard house and an expensive house. All that has really happened as rates got lower is that people have been able to increase the principal amount which has driven house prices higher.

In an ideal world you would have builders providing private housing during times of growth and during times of a recession you would have the government step in and provide social/affordable housing so that builders didn't leave the industry. This would result in a consistent supply of housing. If this happened after '08 we would not be in the situation we are in now trying to play catch up with supply. That is in an ideal world but we don't live in it and after '08 even if the government wanted to build social/affordable housing they would have been prevented from doing so by the IMF and EU as all that they saw at the time was austerity and couldn't see that government spending during a recession makes it shorter and less severe.

SF are only interested in sound bites to attract voters who think that they will be able to solve the housing crisis. But the reality is that unless they can build houses for 150k a piece then their policy is just as flawed as the other political parties. At the end of the day unless supply increases all that any political party will do is increase supply in one area such as social housing at the expensive of another area such as FTB's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Social housing has become a dirty word in the last 20-30 years, but it shouldnt be that way.

Plenty of areas that are desirable now would have been corpo built back in the day, with some of most of stock since sold to occupants. The problem is that social housing has a stigma now, and also the poor enforcement against anti-social behaviour.

But the reality is you cannot leave it to the private sector to sort, they only build when profitable. Govt built housing needs to continue based on population projections, not profitability.

I agree, except that plenty of occupations that are still essential and important have been relegated to the forever renting sector. Teachers, nurses, gardai and more all would struggle to get on the housing ladder nowadays in plenty of areas, and its only going to get worse. Even pre-boom you could get a house comfortably working those kinds of jobs, not so much anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

People with no experience and a heap of children have been doing exactly that for decades. There are numerous tv shows about it. You can learn anything from a youtube video now too. People nowadays think anything difficult has never been difficult and overcome before.

Buying a house has never been easy. Look how many people had to emigrate in years gone by. You dont see much of it anymore, but there was a time not too long ago that when you said goodbye to a family member getting on the ferry just to the uk that you wouldnt see them for years. And you only got a phone call the odd time because it was a days wages for a phone call if you even had a phone in the house.

My Dad had to go to Germany to work on the buildings for 6 months of every year. 3 months there 3 months here and so on. We used to wait at the phone box in the town at 8pm on a Friday night praying someone wouldnt be making a phone call. Eventually he was able to afford a house but he was in his late 40s by then and had missed us 6 months of every year and the interest rates would make your eyes water. And then I had uncles and family friends who went further afield and werent seen again for over a decade, even if they were seen again. And that was only the 80s.

For all of the people with out a house looking to buy how would you change things from what is currently going on? We should maybe try and get away from the blame game, No one owning a property did anything bar voting to make the conditions we see today in the property market

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Improve the training system for tradespeople & increase capacity for new trainees. We have a dearth of tradesmen in this country, and with a high average age its only going to get much, much worse. Looking at proper trade schools like they have in some European countries could be a good model with good capacity, which is what we crucially need.

More resources to planning departments nationwide (& ABP). No reason planning decisions should take months and months.

A proper enforced vacant site tax - with a rate high enough to outstrip asset price inflation, and actual penalties for non-payment.

A proper vacant unit tax - similar to above but for vacant buildings/homes

Possibly a VAT cut on new builds and/or materials - won't fix things as its fundamentally a supply problem, but would help alleviate massive materials inflation as of late

Social housing reform (lol I know, pipedream) - anti-social behaviour leading to financial penalties and ultimately eviction. Same thing for non-payment and refusal to engage with the LA.

Streamlined repossession process for mortgage defaults - it simply should not be the case that refusal to engage with the lender can see you not pay a cent for years. You should be out within 6 months of non-payment (& non-engagement)

There is ultimately no silver bullets to fix things, its gone far too far now for any quick fixes to arise (except for economic meltdown), but plenty of small reforms would help things to function more normally in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,756 ✭✭✭straight

Ya, house building cost is crazy. Luckily I got in at the end of the 2013 regs. I built it entirely from savings which was not easy but definitely worth it. It's like the Government insisting on everybody buying a rolls Royce. This is fairly basic stuff to understand like. That's why if a second hand house is cheaper than the cost of replacement then it is a good deal. Of course the cost of replacement is too high but it is what it is. Environmental regs are not going to go away I'm afraid. Some of them are totally non sensical I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

The rate of people NOT buying avocado toast:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

The same applies whether it's average or the mean. What we really need is the incomes of the under 35's,

However with home ownership collapsing and rents at 40% above celtic tiger highs affordability has to be a major issue

i think you also need to introduce a tax on rezoned land to pay for infrastructure. This would be separate to a vacant site tax and would only apply when the land becomes zoned for housing. The tax should be high enough to prevent people speculating and buying land hoping it will be rezoned as this only pushes up land costs of new builds.

so those over 35 and without a house should be just discounted because of age? I did do a whole bit on what you would be paying back on a mortgage buying a house at the average house price from 2021 and it worked out that you would be currently paying back about 1/5th of your take home pay assuming you and your partner are on the median wage.

• Advertisement

Not an ideal solution as usually it's our best that leave with skills that other countries value and which we should be valuing.

It would also be evidence of a failed state if our people were leaving because of housing when one thing we have in abundance is under developed land close to our cities

No I agree its not ideal and yeap we do lose some talented people but it is an option that has been used for well over a century, also we have a plus net migration figure for the last 6/7 years so Ireland must have something that is keeping more people here and attracting others to live here so a failed state is a bit of an exaggeration

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'm not sure those houses even exist anymore. The market is significantly worse now than it was in 2019. Not to mention its near impossible to get work done and prices for that have also skyrocketed.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

You keep putting forward fudgy mostly bad solutions. The past is over and recommending our best and brightest head off to London is bad for the country.

You do realise a better world is possible, if only the vested interests could be overcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

If they are bidding they are not anymore a price setters. Their price will depend on Joe public highest bid.

Where did I say that?? I am simply stating fact that we always had a culture of emigration. I also stated that this trend seems to have bucked in the last 7/8 years where more people are staying and people are coming into the country from different nations. This is also one of the reasons why housing is limited currently with the size of our population growing by more than 1/2 million over the last decade, this problem was not just because we stopped building. Also if you want to completely ignore the past then your doomed to repeat mistakes that have been made. I agree with the vested interests by the way I think its a crime what the likes of the vulture funds are getting away with. So my solution of building more houses is fudgy? Really? The only way to solve the issue building to meet the current demand even if that is over a long period of time.

Can you please articulate your who you consider have vested interests?

I’m curious as it could mean current property owners, the government, developers, small landlords, institutional landlords, estate agents etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

When talking about houses it's important to consider that not everyone has the option live at home with their parents and save. For some couples, practically their entire wage is disappearing in rent.

Or if they have to pay childcare costs because they don't have family near by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭jo187

Ha ha, it's my 8 euro subscription to netflix is why I can't buy a house. If you think about it it was a least a fiver to rent one video from xtra-vision back in the day so netflix is great value.

Advertisement