Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

I'm definitely in the "get a battery camp" as I have seen the advantages of it.

For example, backup power during a power cut, using the night rate to charge the battery during the winter months for discharge during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I did the math on talking a low interest loan - paying back 200/month for a few years - and then having a system that will be around for 10+ years after that... The only reason NOT to do this IMHO is someone that has very low electricity demands or is planning to move house soon (assuming their location is not terrible, bad, shade, no roof etc)

It would be real nice if in combo with the grant (or INSTEAD of the grant) there was a zero interest loan for this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

~10 year payback with the current electricity prices. Could be as low as 7-8 years or as much as 12 years .... depending on your usage, how much you paid, did you go DIY battery etc. Higher spec installations tend to payback quicker. That said electricity prices are and have generally been climbing for at least the last decade, so you can probably drop 10% off the payback time if you factor in future prices.

Prices | Energy Statistics In Ireland | SEAI

Maybe solar isn't for you if a 7-8 year payback isn't your thing. Only you can decide. That said, there are other reasons to adopt solar than strictly payback timelines. Battery usually goes into the attic for most people. I've a converted attic and it goes into a little storage closet I had - but you can store many of them outside too. They are IP65 rated. Generally there are solutions to most issues. Not always, but it's rare that you are the first person to have a problem that the suppliers haven't seen before.

Issue with attic is heat in Summer, batteries don't like sustained heat especially at high states of charge, the colder they get the less energy they can store and increased internal resistance means the less current they can receive and dish out.

Probably the only way I could put it to be honest.

We're a very consumer of electricity, 9 Mwh a year is a lot, I'd like a hybrid system of wind and solar pv but I know I'm not in an ideal location for wind but there are many days where the sun isn't shining that I'd be generating electricity from wind.

Probably the best way to make use of most of the electricity generated would be towards a heat pump but then again, when you need the HP the most would be in Winter where you generate the least, catch 22.

If I were home during the day I could charge the car but I'm not so the really only real way is using battery storage, 5 Kwh, 10 Kwh, hard to know.

I think you're over thinking/worrying about the temp for the battery. They tolerate cold pretty well (better than before) and the attic for me is usually a few degrees warmer than outside. I've a temp sensor outside at my front door which is reading 6.9C right now and the one in the attic is 9.6C (unheated part of the eves) and the heating isn't on in the house. Looking at the specs for my own GivEnergy one

Bat8.2 (givenergy.co.uk)

Operating range -10C to 55C. Yeah, it can get toasty in an attic in the summer when the sun is beating down on the tiles, but 55C? Doubtful I think. Maybe 40-45C on a hot day....and at that, all the (decent) ones have temperature sensors to cutoff in over/under temperature issues to protect the battery. Here's the battery's internal temp sensor today in that room which is currently 9.6C

or put it outside on the wall, most of them support that. e.g

THE EASIEST HOME BATTERY TO INSTALL! || Puredrive Energy Purestorage 2 AC 10 - YouTube

Again, can't see your house being much different to the rest of the regulars on here and we all have working trouble-free systems with the same environmental issues (weather) as you have.

• Advertisement

You are really in the over thinking/worrying this and that's very understandable as its all new.

Get some quotes and make a start. Talk to some installers to get a better grasp of what's available.

I was the same at the start but now I couldn't give a toss about the ins and outs. All I know is the system just works.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Very easy to insulate batteries in the winter. Shouldn't be overly difficult to cool them in summer either although they are happy to sit at pretty high temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭boosabum

Hi all,

Appreciate some feedback on the following quote:

14 PANELS 345 WATT 4.8 KW. JA SOLAR

25 YEARS GUARANTEE.

5KW PURE DRIVE BATTERY 

5KW HYBRID SOLIS INVERTER.

EDDIE WATER DIVERTER WI FI DONGLE.

TOTAL 8500 EUROS after grant of 3k

Pretty sure that's the Enniskillen lads going by the spec. It's a bit on the high side, but not extortionate.

4.8kwp system, allow about €5k

5kWh battery, allow €2k

Eddi, allow €500

So you'd hope to get that for €7.5k rather than €8.5k. However prices in general are increasing, particularly with PylonTech battery stock hard to find.

No harm in going back to haggle, maybe get it down to €8k. They're packed out with work though so don't hold your breath. But if you don't ask, you don't get!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I see on FB a crowd offering to install a self bought system.

I Know no more than that.

• Advertisement

Thanks, you are correct and maybe there is some leeway

Would anyone who received a quote from Enniskillen crowd for similar work be willing to pm it to me ? Would be interested to know if there costs have risen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Well SAAS finally got back to me 20th December and arrived today to fit.

Actual Install was fast and easy although they couldnt get the Goodwe Homekit/app working but I told them not to worry and I got it working myself, I might send them over details of what I did as the way it shows in the manual would not work, not sure if it's a firmware issue or what but I have it working now

They did, that's what I got. But Pylontech have been out of stock a lot recently so apparently they've used a few other options including Puredrive.

I think a few here have been quoted by them and had Puredrive batteries instead of PylonTech.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 AGC22

Hi all, will list some quotes here. Appreciate your thoughts please:

Quote 1

6.75 Kw Panels (375 watt, JA Solar)

Hybrid Inverter Solis RHI-3.6K-48ES-5G (v1)

Battery 4.8 Kw (2 * 2.4 Kw Pylontech)

€12,200 Including VAT, before

€3,000 grant

€9,200 Total

Quote 2

7.2 Kw Panels (360 watt, Recom)

Hybrid Inverter Solis 6Kw

Battery 5 Kw Pure drive

€13,352.00 Including VAT, before

€3,000 grant

€10,352.00 Total

Quote 3

7.9 Kw Panels (375 watt, QCells)

Battery 5 Kw Pure drive

€14,650.00 Including VAT, before

€3,000 grant

€11,650.00 Total

Quote 4

7 Kw Panels (Jinko/Leapton)

Hybrid Inverter Solis 5Kw

€13,100.00 Including VAT, before

€3,000 grant

€10,100.00 Total

Quote 5

7.4 Kw Panels (370 watt, JA Solar)

Hybrid Inverter GivEnergy 5Kw

Battery 5.2 Kw GivEnergy)

€13,919.00 Including VAT, before

€3,000 grant

€10,919.00 Total

Quote 6

7.2 Kw Panels (390 watt, Recom)

Hybrid Inverter Solis 6 Kw

€13,575.00 Including VAT, before

€3,000 grant

€10,575.00 Total

Quote 7

6.12 Kw Panels (375 watt, Longi)

Hybrid Inverter SE5000

Battery 5 Kw Pure drive

€12,150.00 Including VAT, before

€3,000 grant

€9,150.00 Total

Quote 8

9 Kw Panels (450 watt, JA Solar)

Battery 5 Kw Pure drive

€13,050.00 Including VAT, before

€3,000 grant

€10,050.00 Total

Quick scan of those, and none of them are super bad - with some of them (Quote 8) on the very good side. Quote3 you can rule out as there are better ones there for cheaper money....e.g Quote 8.

The obvious one is Quote 8, but you'd need to have some consumption to see if it's "fit-for-purpose". As in you might be buying more than you need. What's your average utilization per year in units?

Thanks, consumption last year was 7,800. That's with no EV or heat pump which we may get in next 2-3 years. So was thinking ahead really. Plus both of us WFH which will continue after pandemic.

Yeah with that consumption you'd be fairly fine. Personally I'd probably drop back to 8Kwp in panels and use the money that saves in upping the battery from 5Kwhr to 7.5-8.0Kwhr

The logic is that you'll be exporting _a lot_ in the summertime otherwise.....so you might as well try to capture as much of that as you can. FIT (feed-in-tariff) will give you something, but batteries are the way.

• Advertisement

I would go with quote 8 and double the size of the battery to 10kw.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking. Wise man said go big or go home lol !

Thats my moto. Now with that final spec set, see who can beat it. Keep the spec the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Cristobaal

Hi guys,

Got 3 more quotes they differ in the price but they have one thing in common, due to lack of the space on the roof maximum they could offer me is 2.8 kWh 🙄 I'm thinking if there is any point of getting the PV panels at all as the cost reimbursement probably will be 10-14 years. My usage currently is around 4000 units annually. The idea of getting bigger battery is that during the winter I could avail of the night rate tariff to capture the cheaper energy to use it next day.

Quote 1:

• 7 x 370W JA Solar PV Panels (2.59kW)
    • 1 x 3.6kW GivEnergy Hybrid Inverter
    • 1 x 5.2kWh GivEnergy Battery Storage
    • 1 x EDDI power Diverter Smart Immersion
    • Full Installation & Commissioning of System

=   €9,136.75 incl. VAT

Minus the grant worth €2,577 means you pay €6,559.75

Quote 2:

7 x 400W panels 2.8 kWh

Eddi

• BPE Battery Pack 4.8kWh 

• BPE Inverter

• Fireman switch as per regulation

10824e -3000 grant= 7824 euro

Quote 3:

• 2.190 kwp system.
    • 365w all black Longi panels.
    • Hybrid Inverter with
    • 5.2 kwh Battery
    • Power Diverter to heat the water in the Hot water cylinder via an emersion.
    • Fireman switch (needed to achieve grant standards)
    • Post works BER Cert

8400 euro after grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

max cost for this should be 5, maybe 5.5 with eddi.

😎

They are ott value can be found. Don't give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,463 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Just wondering do you need a big battery with a small system? Or a hot water diverter..

Quotes are all way off btw.

Leaving aside the quotes (which the lads have already commented on), I'd go back a sec and look at your system. I'd probably ditch the EDDI. The logic is, that with the relatively low number of panels that you have, you simply won't have enough surplus over your base load to

a) fill your battery completely to then

b) utilize the EDDI to heat the hot water.

So effectively for all but the longest/brightest days of the year the EDDI will sit idle in your hot press, or wherever you decide to install it. Pretty much a waste of €500.

When you say "lack of space on the roof", have you looked at all options here? Even north('ish) facing panels can work, assuming that the slope of the roof isn't too steep. Also, if you have a shed or extension, you might be able to get 2-3 panels on that.

• Advertisement

Also, with the relatively small size, this (traditionally) has been a good fit for the "solar as a Service" option whereby you effectively "lease" the installation cost over 10 years. It sounded odd when I first heard about it, but it's a pretty good offer financially. Still exploring other places including potentially ground mounted panels would be something to look into.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement